Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    There seemed to be returns of 262 of the 2011 platinums. I am tempted to buy also. But will wait a little longer. Maybe we will get lucky with platinum falling to 08 levels of $800 an ounce.
  • Options
    Thank you!

1 of 261 returns was mine when they came out image
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    You guys are braver than I am at these prices. I sold some high mintage stuff a couple weeks ago and am glad I did.
  • Options
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mintage for the 2011 W Unc. $50 AGE per NN is now 7791. It appears to be on course to sell over the 8883 mintage of the 2008 W $10 AGE Unc.

Looks like a good time to sell the 2011. What do you all think?

Also, the Eliza Unc. is listed at 2617. The mintage of Julia is 2861. I would think that Elize will go dark soon. With so few sold each week, Eliza looks to be on track to unseat Julia. Do you all agree? When will Eliza go off sale?

Eric, any thoughts on the above would be most appreciated!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    I think I remember see where the JT mintage was revised upward to the low 3,000s. If so Eliza still has a shot. It went to backorder earlier in the year, so it depends on how many extra they banged out at that time.
  • Options
    It seems trying to chase the low-mintage First Spouse will be an exercise in futility. I think it would be a better idea to scoop up more 25th anniversary coins, especially the RPs in 70.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It seems trying to chase the low-mintage First Spouse will be an exercise in futility. I think it would be a better idea to scoop up more 25th anniversary coins, especially the RPs in 70. >>

Any idea where these will settle out in the long haul? I could see them pusing around $1000 in 70 and hold that pretty well.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It seems trying to chase the low-mintage First Spouse will be an exercise in futility. I think it would be a better idea to scoop up more 25th anniversary coins, especially the RPs in 70. >>

Any idea where these will settle out in the long haul? I could see them pusing around $1000 in 70 and hold that pretty well. >>

Imagine if the Mint makes an RP for the 30th anniversary. We would now have a short series that is very much worth collecting. And the Mint won't make the same mistakes as this year. I can only imagine what that will do for demand for the 2011 and the 2006.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Any idea where these will settle out in the long haul? I could see them pusing around $1000 in 70 and hold that pretty well. >>

Imagine if the Mint makes an RP for the 30th anniversary. We would now have a short series that is very much worth collecting. And the Mint won't make the same mistakes as this year. I can only imagine what that will do for demand for the 2011 and the 2006. >>

Never underestimate the Mint. Just when you think it is impossible, well, there they go again. That's why I admire them.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options

<< <i>The Mintage for the 2011 W Unc. $50 AGE per NN is now 7791. It appears to be on course to sell over the 8883 mintage of the 2008 W $10 AGE Unc.

Also, the Eliza Unc. is listed at 2617. The mintage of Julia is 2861. I would think that Elize will go dark soon. With so few sold each week, Eliza looks to be on track to unseat Julia. Do you all agree? When will Eliza go off sale?

Eric, any thoughts on the above would be most appreciated! >>

Julia could survive as key to the generics but its high risk. The unc julia had a mintage final final of round 3150. I have the exact number but not on me.. Given current sales trends unless something changes by the end of the series one of these ugly women is likely going to take Julia out.
    The 2011W AGE unc is a good coin but its growth on a percentage basis is going to be very soft due to its high cost.

• Options
    Imagine if the Mint makes an RP for the 30th anniversary. We would now have a short series that is very much worth collecting. And the Mint won't make the same mistakes as this year. I can only imagine what that will do for demand for the 2011 and the 2006. >>

I think you can count on 30th RP with at least a 200,000 mintage. Cheap 2011RP 70s and 2011S 70s silver eagles are going to be a fine ride over the next ten years. Focus on cheap and buy them along.
  • Options
    ronsrons Posts: 338 ✭✭
    What do you think? With the drop in gold prices will the first spouse coins hold their own or will they reflect the bullion price? Is this a good litmus test for the future of this series or a bump in the road? Can any conclusions be drawn by the bullion price drop and the reaction by the FS and other bullion products?
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The Mintage for the 2011 W Unc. $50 AGE per NN is now 7791. It appears to be on course to sell over the 8883 mintage of the 2008 W $10 AGE Unc.

Eric, any thoughts on the above would be most appreciated! >>

Julia could survive as key to the generics but its high risk. The unc julia had a mintage final final of round 3150. I have the exact number but not on me.. Given current sales trends unless something changes by the end of the series one of these ugly women is likely going to take Julia out.
    The 2011W AGE unc is a good coin but its growth on a percentage basis is going to be very soft due to its high cost. >>

Thanks!!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Eric for the latest crystal ball look at the SAEs. This series continues to be fascinating with the new(er) keys developing in front of us.

I see you speculate the 11W unc will sell short this year -- any particular reason? They started late, and somewhat slow. And subsequent years as well?

I hope you are correct. I love to see these low mintages.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks Eric for the latest crystal ball look at the SAEs. This series continues to be fascinating with the new(er) keys developing in front of us.

I see you speculate the 11W unc will sell short this year -- any particular reason? They started late, and somewhat slow. And subsequent years as well?

I hope you are correct. I love to see these low mintages. >>

Answer, I dont think the coin (2011w $50 gold) will sell well and it looks like based on current sales trends that it has a shot at coming in under the 2008W $50 gold eagle. I dont think its going to pull all that hard on a percentage basis. It may be "short" but not way short and keep in mind moderns hit the wall at 4 grand so if you are spending 2 grand or close to it to buy one the coin is not going to run that far.

Cheap silver set keys be they 50 state parks proof silver quarters, low mintag ASE, $5 gold commems like the army and metal of honor are good coins. Try to keep your buy prices under $1000 a coin. Stick to the low mintage material that does not cost a fortune to put together sets.
  • Options
    SO many options. Lots of things to buy. The mint has loaded the window's.
    Currently working with nurmaler. Older transactions....circa 2011 BST transactions Gecko109, Segoja, lpinion, Agblox, oldgumballmachineswanted,pragmaticgoat, CharlieC, onlyroosies, timrutnat, ShinyThingsInPM under login lightcycler
  • Options
    @Eric J

Do you mind to comment your stement keep in mind moderns hit the wall at 4 grand so
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone taken the challenge to read this entire thread from start to finish? I jumped right to the last page... lol.
  • Options
    It helps to have started reading from time the thread started................
  • Options
    Coins with populations between 2,000 and 10,000 have hard time moving past $4,000 because the portion of the market that is interested in buying is so thin by then demand drops off. Coins price growth has a tendency to stall around $4 grand and certainly by 5 grand.

Reading this enless post is more than likely not the best option. Amazon has a book called "Modern Commemorative Coins" "Invest Today Profit Tomorrow" that is the presentation of our school of thought on this thread. Mitchel known as Wonder Coin has them and Modern Coin Mart has them. They give them away with any order if you ask for one.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just the other day, I did purchase a sizeable shipment of Eric's books and I do plan on giving them away free starting in January, 2012 with the purchase of a $1,500 or greater coin order (for most items). I hope the book especially helps the "newbies" with their modern coin pursuits.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Thanks Eric - that is an interesting observation.

Would you then consider 2009 UHR hitting this ceiling with MS70 setting in 4K range?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I see you speculate the 11W unc will sell short this year -- any particular reason? They started late, and somewhat slow. And subsequent years as well? I hope you are correct. I love to see these low mintages. >>

Answer, I dont think the coin (2011w $50 gold) will sell well and it looks like based on current sales trends that it has a shot at coming in under the 2008W $50 gold eagle. I dont think its going to pull all that hard on a percentage basis. It may be "short" but not way short and keep in mind moderns hit the wall at 4 grand so if you are spending 2 grand or close to it to buy one the coin is not going to run that far.

Cheap silver set keys be they 50 state parks proof silver quarters, low mintag ASE, $5 gold commems like the army and metal of honor are good coins. Try to keep your buy prices under $1000 a coin. Stick to the low mintage material that does not cost a fortune to put together sets. >>

Actually --- I was referring to 11w ms silver eagles... Seems as though everyone expects these to go dark soon. I agree 1 oz gold eagles are ho hum right now.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks Eric - that is an interesting observation.

Would you then consider 2009 UHR hitting this ceiling with MS70 setting in 4K range? >>

Proof-like UHR 70s may do a little better but the bottom line is its game over around 4-5 grand unless the pops are real low like 10 coins in 70 grade in a well liked series.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I see you speculate the 11W unc will sell short this year -- any particular reason? They started late, and somewhat slow. And subsequent years as well? I hope you are correct. I love to see these low mintages. >>

Cheap silver set keys be they 50 state parks proof silver quarters, low mintag ASE, $5 gold commems like the army and metal of honor are good coins. Try to keep your buy prices under $1000 a coin. Stick to the low mintage material that does not cost a fortune to put together sets. >>

Actually --- I was referring to 11w ms silver eagles... Seems as though everyone expects these to go dark soon. I agree 1 oz gold eagles are ho hum right now. >>

The 2011w ASE unc is going to be a good coin over time like the rest of the mint marked unc silver eagles but it may not be better than the 2012w unc. These things are hard to see in advance. Much of the W silver eagle story will determined by the price of silver. The2011w ASE certainly is not better than the 2011s coins I see floating around in the $200-250 range right now on the net.
  • Options
    By the way any of you guys that are going to the FUN show should stop by and see me. I will be camping out at the Modern Coin Mart booth Thursday afternoon and Friday.

Eric
  • Options
    Army $5 gold is 8062
    MOH $ gold is 8251

Good Coins!
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Army $5 gold is 8062
    MOH $ gold is 8251

Good Coins! >>

And that's not figuring in what, a week's worth of returns?
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    Awesome information as always. Knowing when to exit is certainly as important as knowing what to buy in the first place.
    Currently working with nurmaler. Older transactions....circa 2011 BST transactions Gecko109, Segoja, lpinion, Agblox, oldgumballmachineswanted,pragmaticgoat, CharlieC, onlyroosies, timrutnat, ShinyThingsInPM under login lightcycler
  • Options
    Eric, do you have the numbers for the Army half dollars? That's another one I'm watching closely, as we may have new keys in the modern commem half arena.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

<< <i>By the way any of you guys that are going to the FUN show should stop by and see me. I will be camping out at the Modern Coin Mart booth Thursday afternoon and Friday.

Eric >>

For anyone interested, those table numbers are 941 and 943. Hope to meet some of you there!

John
  • Options
    End of sales numbers for closed commems. These numbers do not include returns.

Army
    $5 Gold PR 17,173
    $5 Gold UNC 8,062
    $1 PR 119,829
    $1 UNC 43,517
    CLAD HALF PR 68,349
    CLAD HALF UNC 39,461

MOH
    $5 Gold PR 18,012
    $5 Gold UNC 8,251
    $1 PR 112,850
    $1 UNC 44,769
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Is anyone getting backorders filled yet on the $5 unc?
  • Options
    The clad half Unc is under 40k! Great news, maybe. Maybe no one cares!
  • Options

<< <i>The clad half Unc is under 40k! Great news, maybe. Maybe no one cares! >>

That's cool, the halves needed some low mintages to make them a bit more interesting. Isn't that WAY under the previous low?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The clad half Unc is under 40k! Great news, maybe. Maybe no one cares! >>

That's cool, the halves needed some low mintages to make them a bit more interesting. Isn't that WAY under the previous low? >>

By over 10,000, yeah...
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<That's cool, the halves needed some low mintages to make them a bit more interesting. Isn't that WAY under the previous low? >>

By over 10,000, yeah...

It may not be enough, but we'll see. It's a pretty discontinuous series at best.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    The biggest issue I have seen with the halves is quality. Most are junk. But, then again, that may make the higher grades attractive if they ever takeoff.
  • Options
    alhasalhas Posts: 85 ✭✭
    Sorry, errors in post.
  • Options
    alhasalhas Posts: 85 ✭✭
    "The 2011w ASE unc is going to be a good coin over time like the rest of the mint marked unc silver eagles but it may not be better than the 2012w unc. These things are hard to see in advance. Much of the W silver eagle story will determined by the price of silver. The2011w ASE certainly is not better than the 2011s coins I see floating around in the $200-250 range right now on the net."

Eric,

Why do you think ASE 2012w unc may be better than 2011w unc? We don't know what tomorrow brings, thanks!

Al
  • Options
    That was my way of pointing out that the 2011W unc had an extra 100,000 coin kick from the 25th set. 2012W will not. SO IF base demand in 2011 and 2012 are about the same we may see lower 12w sales. Much of this depends on the price of silver.
  • Options

<< <i>That was my way of pointing out that the 2011W unc had an extra 100,000 coin kick from the 25th set. 2012W will not. SO IF base demand in 2011 and 2012 are about the same we may see lower 12w sales. Much of this depends on the price of silver. >>

That is exactly what I was thinking.
  • Options

<< <i>That was my way of pointing out that the 2011W unc had an extra 100,000 coin kick from the 25th set. 2012W will not. SO IF base demand in 2011 and 2012 are about the same we may see lower 12w sales. Much of this depends on the price of silver. >>

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................

As painful as it would be in the short term, a dramatic decline in price of gold, silver and platinum may be just what is necessary to re-kindle interest in some of the bullion based coins we all love.

I fear many collectors are simply being priced out of market or are taking advantage of high prices to sell out collections.
  • Options
    Anyone got a feel for current bid/asked on 4 coin PCGS non FS MS70 2008-W burnished platinum set??
  • Options

<< <i>Is anyone getting backorders filled yet on the $5 unc? >>

Halfstrike,

My MOH are in stock and reserved - cancel box is gone, CC has been hit and UPS just called and said they are holding a box for me at their service center (I have them do that as it is a few blocks away from work). So, I am thinking they have been shipped.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Is anyone getting backorders filled yet on the $5 unc? >>

I ordered 2 each of the $5 Unc Army and MOH on Friday, 12/16. My order is in process and the cancel boxes are gone. I'm guessing that all who ordered before 5:00 p.m. Friday will receive coins. Perhaps the original runs were for 9,000 or 10,000 coins.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    Considering how sales of these two coins ........Army/MOH tracked each other I bet there was some natural linkage in collector base.

I think both of these coins have good long term potential as there are an awful lot of army veterans out there.

Remember the Marine dollar sold out at an increased mintage of 600,000 and I believe the army veterans out number marines by something like 5:1.

Certainly more army veterans than those with interest in Capital Visitors center.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Considering how sales of these two coins ........Army/MOH tracked each other I bet there was some natural linkage in collector base.

I think both of these coins have good long term potential as there are an awful lot of army veterans out there.

Remember the Marine dollar sold out at an increased mintage of 600,000 and I believe the army veterans out number marines by something like 5:1.

Certainly more army veterans than those with interest in Capital Visitors center. >>

Obviously you think that over the course of time that Army vets who since have become collectors will see the error in their ways in not buying these coins and push the demand up. I hope so although I bought only one of each variety.
    Paul

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file