Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not sure if this has been posted but the revised 2008 PROOF Buffs numbers

4-coin sets went up almost doubled
    1/2 oz proof buff dropped more than 50%
    1/4 oz proof buff dropped more than 75%

SNMAN >>

When was this posted? Are these the same as the Final numbers which were just posted in CW or NN (at work don't have these references with me)?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭

<< <i> When was this posted? Are these the same as the Final numbers which were just posted in CW or NN (at work don't have these references with me)? >>

Posted yesterday at NN LINK

Guess who was quoted in the article? Ericj96
    Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    That single proof 1/4-ounce buff # really surprises me, especially after how much discussion there was about this denomination, i.e. being close in size to the original nickel, etc... The increase in 4-coin sets, though, really swamps the overall numbers. Still good, but a big bump up.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010

• << <i>That single proof 1/4-ounce buff # really surprises me, especially after how much discussion there was about this denomination, i.e. being close in size to the original nickel, etc... The increase in 4-coin sets, though, really swamps the overall numbers. Still good, but a big bump up. >>

I would expect the price on the 1/4 ounce proof buff in OGP will do very, very well. image
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

<< <i>That single proof 1/4-ounce buff # really surprises me, especially after how much discussion there was about this denomination, i.e. being close in size to the original nickel, etc... The increase in 4-coin sets, though, really swamps the overall numbers. Still good, but a big bump up. >>

It will be interesting to see what, if any effect that these new numbers have on the prices of the 4 coins sets - over $5K raw at present. I suspect that due to such high demand that there will be no or only a very short term effect.
  • Sorry to interrupt anyone's thinking, but just saw the UHR hit $1539 at the Mint...wow.
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    $1189 was a nice purchase back in the day.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves

• << <i>$1189 was a nice purchase back in the day..... >>

At the moment, NY spot is $1191 (US Dollar down 1% today). With so many produced, if gold goes high enough, will some wind up being melted?
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/

<< <i>

<< <i>$1189 was a nice purchase back in the day..... >>

At the moment, NY spot is $1191 (US Dollar down 1% today). With so many produced, if gold goes high enough, will some wind up being melted? >>

Absolutely! Already thinking about it myself, but my magnifying glass can't quite generate the heat I need!
  • Yes, I like gold. But I WANT MY 2009 LEGACY SET!!! image
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah baby!!

My UHR "Early Buy" is at spot with shipping costs included.

My 2009 Proof Buff is just over $160 away from spot and par.

I am ThankFull ! So what if the 2008 Buff Sets come in higher on Minatge numbers; it was a one shot deal. Done.

Whats' next????

I wait, as always, patiently...

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Those "revised" 2008 buffalo proof numbers still seem to be way off.image
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just saw this story reporting that the mint has suspended sales of 2009 gold and silver eagles.

If true, how will this impact the 2009 gold bullion fractionals? Short issue or possibly none at all?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• According to this, production will continue to the end of the year.

An update to the article states that the Mint cannot meet the current demand, but is continuing to strike the coins.
    The article quotes a Mint spokesman as saying, "We anticipate if current demand rates for gold and silver one-ounce bullion coins continues, 2010 availability will be similar to 2009.”

Sounds like 2010 could be another year without proof gold and silver eagles. image

• fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    At some point the Fed must rise interest rates to more normal levels which will cause the gold price to crash.

Perhaps. However, gold has followed the stock market over the years, too.
    Time to wake this thread up....did you guys catch the NGC PF70 2008 w gold buff set which sold on Ebay today for just about $7K? WOW!!
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>At some point the Fed must rise interest rates to more normal levels which will cause the gold price to crash.

Perhaps. However, gold has followed the stock market over the years, too. >>

I see the latest rumblings that the Fed may not move until 2012. And even if they did move earlier they are starting virtually from zero.

In the 1979 the Fed funds rate was 11% and by June of 1981 they were at 20%. Gold will climb a wall of interest rate worry. We have a long way to go I think.
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    This thread will wake up next Thursday when the ugly 1 oz Platinum Proof goes on sale. I won't be in the crowd ordering and I feel few on this board will either. image
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • I was going to buy it, but I do not like the one that was selected.

I have my 2008 ones to look at instead.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You talk of a key this my be it in the 1 oz. plat. I'll buy two one for me and one to pay for both. image But that is just me.

Hoard the keys.
    You can always just look at the obverse and ignore the reverse.

Regarding the probable sales numbers, I think the 2009 date will override any opinion on the artistic merits of the reverse. I don't expect a low mintage (relative to 2008).

• HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Due to the very late release my guess is the 2009 plats get minted to "anticipated demand".

That may include many months of forward sales, not just an opening weeks worth.

I guess we will see shortly.image
    Speaking of Gold Buffalo Proof Sets, this current auction with four days remaining, not mine, could break the $6000 barrier for a RAW Set!

Woe is me, and you, for not buying more...

Stronger and stronger hands are holding this one in a lifetime stampede.

Running away......
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"THE 2004 PROOF PLATINUM COINS WILL CONTINUE TO BE THE "KING" OF THE PROOF PLATINUM SERIES FOR MANY, MANY YEARS TO COME"

You heard it hear first.

Just my 2 cents of course.

Wondercoinimage >>

I think as soon as the Red book shows the mintage's of the 08's it will be the end for the 04's
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not say "forever".... I said many, many years to come. Which might coincide with the Red Book's final mintage figures in your comment??

And, of course, in the all important PR70DCAM column, the 2004 proof plats currently command close to double (or more) the value of the 2008 coins, in part, due to the toughness of acheiving 2004 coins in the 70 grade (not the same problem with 2008 coins).

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    Last year I read that there was active melting of gold First Spouse and modern commemorative coins, as well as some "W" plats. With gold now over $1200 and platinum pushing $1500, has the melting resumed?

<< <i>This thread will wake up next Thursday when the ugly 1 oz Platinum Proof goes on sale. I won't be in the crowd ordering and I feel few on this board will either. image >>

I will not buy either - THE WORST looking US Coin EVER!!!

Of course, we'll all follow the mintages and if they seem low we'll all buy. The only way that I see this haveing a low mintage is if they simply cut sales early - perhaps only selling a small, first run. Who knows?

Of course, folks thought that the Jackie Unc was ugly and now it's $4500+. Of course, the Jackie Unc is a 1907 UHR Saint relative to this plat! UUUGLY!
    On another subject entirely, I just received my 2009 W $50 Buff 70 (between Bing, CC points, Ebay Bucks is was nearly issue price).

It is just fantastic looking. I put it next to the previous years. It seems that in the '09s there is more contrast between the devices and fields. The proof "frosting" is much more distinct. While this will be a high mintage year it is just a fantastic looking coin - nicer than the previous years in my opinion.
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could never understand why coins minted by the US Government and stamped with their gold content and purity would be melted. Especially with the HUGE premiums that are now offered for common date AGE proof gold. But as the spot prices on all precious metals seemingly rise everyday, at the very least pre-1965 silver coins will head to the smelters again.
    Man, I cant believe silver is almost $20 an ounce.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Not only a great looking coin Rafus, but also near the going price for a much higher mintage UNC 2009 Buff when buying from APMEX or Gainesville at $1310 per ounce.

So, enjoy that you got a great deal and a relatively small mintage in a hurried year from the Mint!

Let's see what happens with the 2009 APE; it is going to be intersesting regardless of the "reverse of the Gold Spouses" bland features on the back side (Thank someone for the Lady Liberty)!!

Miles
    Great points Miles. Thanks! I will be very interesting to see what happens with the plat.

• The 2008 W UNC. $10 Gold Buffs are doing well............$1449.00
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The 2008 W UNC. $10 Gold Buffs are doing well............$1449.00 >>

The $10 2008 W eagles have to be right there with 'em. --Jerry
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The 2008 W UNC. $10 Gold Buffs are doing well............$1449.00 >>

The $10 2008 W eagles have to be right there with 'em. --Jerry >>

Is that the lowest mitage modern eagle ever? just under 10,000 i think
  • ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    Besides the unattractiveness of the reverse design of the '09 proof plat, is their any upside to purchasing this coin on Thursday? Any opinions as to whether this is a home run or a pop fly? I'm still not sleeping well at night thinking about woulda, coulda, shoulda about buying more of the '08-W Buffalos. I only purchased the $10 unc., and am regretting it terribly each passing day.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you guys think of the proof platinum eagles due to be available starting tomorrow? It seems like a no brainer to buy them, get them graded by PCGS and then flip them. Will it be easy to get them if you order them off of the US Mint Website? I am thinking of ordering the limit. Thoughts?

Thanks for your replies,
    earlyAurum

<< <i>Is that the lowest mitage modern eagle ever? just under 10,000 i think >>

Reported final mintage of the 2008-W burnished $10 Gold Eagle is 8,883, making it the lowest mintage non-error Gold Eagle of any denomination.

To put this in perspective, all but one of the burnished "W" Platinum Eagles of every denomination (2006-2008) have less than half the mintage of the 2008-W burnished $10 Gold Eagle! The sole exception, the 2007-W $10, still has less than 2/3 the mintage of the 2008-W burnished $10 Gold Eagle.

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any chance the Mint is going to increase the price of the 2009 Buff proof this week?
  • Is there another meltdown coming??...............Platinum has crossed $1500!
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there another meltdown coming??...............Platinum has crossed $1500!

At the St. Louis Show a couple months ago, I could have bought 12 or 15 1997 1/2 oz. PCGS MS-69 Plats for $800, less if I took the whole lot.

Since they were overpriced about $50 at the time, I declined - besides, I was there for a Large Cent. I don't think that the dealer sold many of them, if any at all. When spot platinum hits $1600, that dealer can get his price, at melt.

Yikes.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    Thoughts and opinions sought...

What should I buy...a 2009 proof Buff...or a 2006 MS-70 (slabbed) Unc Buff? So far, I only own the "W" mintage coins...not the general issues.
    Totally off topic...but CNN is reporting that Tiger Woods just got caught with his pants down...

No wonder his wife tried to club him last week!

Man...it's always the quiet ones!
  • Guys,

I came out before the close of the sales period and told you guys to go out and buy buffs. You guys that collect gold coins...... go buy mint state 1999w $10 gold for around $1000 for your collection. In time they will blow the doors off ALL the fractional buffs in 69 or better. Dont chase the masses.

Stay off the 2009 $100 plat if you have limited funds...... GO BUY THE 1999W $10 GOLD EAGLES PRIOR TO MARCH OF 2010. The 2008 $10 proof plats are rarer than Unc Jackie, and key to a CLOSED series and trade for less than $400.

Do this, do it soon.......

Best Wishes,

Eric
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Totally off topic...but CNN is reporting that Tiger Woods just got caught with his pants down...

Man...it's always the quiet ones! >>

This is not really OT. The reason gold has surged so dramatically is because all of the Nike shareholders are pulling out their money and putting it into solid assets! You heard it here first!
    << Totally off topic...but CNN is reporting that Tiger Woods just got caught with his pants down...

Man...it's always the quiet ones! >>

...or maybe she hit him with a GOLD or SILVER club!!!

<< <i>GO BUY THE 1999W $10 GOLD EAGLES PRIOR TO MARCH OF 2010. >>

I'd like to, but I'm having a really tough time finding one with Original Government Packaging! image

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I came out before the close of the sales period and told you guys to go out and buy buffs.

I was going to buy them anyway, but Eric - your urging sure didn't hurt.image

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Guys,

I came out before the close of the sales period and told you guys to go out and buy buffs. You guys that collect gold coins...... go buy mint state 1999w $10 gold for around $1000 for your collection. In time they will blow the doors off ALL the fractional buffs in 69 or better. Dont chase the masses.

Stay off the 2009 $100 plat if you have limited funds...... GO BUY THE 1999W $10 GOLD EAGLES PRIOR TO MARCH OF 2010. The 2008 $10 proof plats are rarer than Unc Jackie, and key to a CLOSED series and trade for less than $400.

Do this, do it soon.......

Best Wishes,

Eric >>

What happens in March? Also, what is the probability of there being some undiscovered hoard of the '99-W's. And yes I realize 'hoard' is a relative quantity.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file