Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anyone cares...it looks like the Mint's Plat ordering page has been revised again...with no mention of a sellout...yet:

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&categoryId=10114&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10191&top_category=10191
  • Options
    RichR you just made the 6,000 th response to the thread. Congrats
    LOL
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If anyone cares...it looks like the Mint's Plat ordering page has been revised again...with no mention of a sellout...yet:

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&categoryId=10114&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10191&top_category=10191 >>

The Mint decided to press another 8,000. image
  • Options

<< <i>Ok...as of 1:00 PM EST...I just successfuly ordered a single plat proof...and no mention of a waiting list.

So if it sells out now...great..and if not and plat plunges...it'll go back for a refund.

If plat drops, it'll be really funny when 4,000 of the 8,000 get returned and THEN GET MELTED! >>

They only melt "defective" returns.
  • Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    your order does not process any differently for waiting list status the only indication is the posting on the product page under the "product available for shipping" date line ...(Waiting List Notice: The number of orders we have taken meets the maximum limit for the 2009 American Eagle One Ounce Platinum Proof Coin. You may still place an order for this product, which will go on a waiting list. If a product becomes available due to an order cancellation, we will fulfill orders from the waiting list on a first-in, first-served basis. We cannot provide information about your position on the waiting list.

When we place your order on the waiting list, we will send you an order receipt. This is not a guarantee that you will receive your order. If we are not able to fulfill part or all of your order, you will receive a cancellation or sold-out notification. If you paid by check, you will receive a refund.)

and the notice has been in place since it was put there on wed pm.

(l8-)>>

• Options
    <<RichR you just made the 6,000 th response to the thread. Congrats>>

Do I win a free Plat Proof?!?

• Options
    This is still on the Mint's website:

2009 American Eagle One Ounce Platinum Proof Coin (9T1)

Price: $1,792.00
    Enter Quantity
    Product will be available for shipping 12/25/2009

Waiting List Notice: The number of orders we have taken meets the maximum limit for the 2009 American Eagle One Ounce Platinum Proof Coin. You may still place an order for this product, which will go on a waiting list. If a product becomes available due to an order cancellation, we will fulfill orders from the waiting list on a first-in, first-served basis. We cannot provide information about your position on the waiting list.

When we place your order on the waiting list, we will send you an order receipt. This is not a guarantee that you will receive your order. If we are not able to fulfill part or all of your order, you will receive a cancellation or sold-out notification. If you paid by check, you will receive a refund.

• Options

<<They only melt "defective" returns. >>

So when plat drops...everyone returns them within 7 days and marks them "damaged/defective."

No problem.
  • Options
    <<When we place your order on the waiting list, we will send you an order receipt. This is not a guarantee that you will receive your order. If we are not able to fulfill part or all of your order, you will receive a cancellation or sold-out notification. If you paid by check, you will receive a refund.>>

Oops quite right...didn't see it buried on the Product Availability page...but I still suspect there's some "slop" built into these numbers.
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Truely amazing that this is sold out already.....

They are saying "oh look this great design actually caused a platinum coin sell out"

Horrible.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options

<< <i>Truely amazing that this is sold out already.....

They are saying "oh look this great design actually caused a platinum coin sell out"

Horrible..... >>

I agree, truly one of the top ten ugly coins of all time. I am hoping the upside will be stronger interest in the past platinum eagles, some of which had wonderful designs
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like the NGC 2008 Buff Proof PF70 ER sets are staying over $8K with a BIN over $8100 having just sold. Just incredible.

2008 W Plat sales have been dead on Ebay. I am surprised by this.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Its called the "stupid sheep" mentality.

It will correct itself.
  • Options

<< <i>Its called the "stupid sheep" mentality.

It will correct itself. >>

Sorta like the 2004 plats--price will skyrocket initially, and after the 2013 buffs arrive and the frenzy wanes, prices will gradually fall back to earth. People are quick to jump in, but reluctant to admit they were wrong and take a loss.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Truely amazing that this is sold out already.....

Horrible..... >>

Can you imagine what the 2010 "Equal Justice" will look like.

I have an idea, have KSM sitting in a New York court room with "Equal Justice" on top and "Never Forget" on the edge. That should appease the PC-nics.

R95
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you imagine what the 2010 "Equal Justice" will look like.

I have an idea, have KSM sitting in a New York court room with "Equal Justice" on top and "Never Forget" on the edge. That should appease the PC-nics.

R95

Maybe the selection committees should consist of New Yorkers for the KSM coin. Maybe the reverse should have Holder as the clown in a "dunk booth" like at the state fair. Or would that be considered as waterboarding?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Sorta like the 2004 plats--price will skyrocket initially"

Funny thing is they didn't at all as I recall. Fresh sets were available for 10%-20% over mint issue price for quite a while. Indeed, as i recal. I did not buy a single 2004 coin from the Mint directly before sales closed off, but, bought a sizeable amount in that "gap period" where they sat at slightly over mint issue price.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    If you have no interest in selling your 2008 platinum coins who really cares what the current price of them is.....

If you don't have them but want them, do it now.....

We have not heard anything from anybody in regards to 2009 proof silver eagles lately have we? Big mistake by the mint.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options

<< <i>"Sorta like the 2004 plats--price will skyrocket initially"

Funny thing is they didn't at all as I recall. Fresh sets were available for 10%-20% over mint issue price for quite a while. Indeed, as i recal. I did not buy a single 2004 coin from the Mint directly before sales closed off, but, bought a sizeable amount in that "gap period" where they sat at slightly over mint issue price.

Wondercoin >>

TELETRADE
    2146:2104
    Jan 16, 2006

View this lot
    $10 2004W Proof Statue of Liberty PCGS 70 DCAMThis is a Registry Quality lot as designated by TeletradeThis is a low mintage coin
    Full blazing mint brilliance. Deep mirror-like fields. Sharply contrasting heavily frosted devices. The ultimate certified grade.
    Realized $4,400+juice

TELETRADE
    2560:2019
    Jul 21, 2008

View this lot
    $10 2004W Proof Statue of Liberty PCGS 70 DCAMThis is a Registry Quality lot as designated by Teletrade
    Full blazing mint brilliance. Deep mirror-like fields. Sharply contrasting heavily frosted devices. The ultimate certified grade.
    Realized $975+juice
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Sorta like the 2004 plats--price will skyrocket initially, and after the 2013 buffs arrive and the frenzy wanes, prices will gradually fall back to earth. People are quick to jump in, but reluctant to admit they were wrong and take a loss. >>

Not sure I understood this. You saying you think the 2008 fractional buffs will decline? I guess I could see a 20% drop, but unless they crank up the fractionals again, I'm guessing these will become perennial favorites.

Re: 2009 proof plat. I don't think it's an ugly design so much as BLAND--which is even worse for a coin.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    I'm just saying that there seems to be a buff bubble right now and I do believe the Mint will "crank up the fractionals" again--at least for 2013. jmo
  • Options

I've been holding a bunch of '08 w Buffs. Do you all think that this is the time to sell? With the prices going up, I was going to hold.

Also, what are the 2013 buffs??
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I've been holding a bunch of '08 w Buffs. Do you all think that this is the time to sell? With the prices going up, I was going to hold.

Also, what are the 2013 buffs?? >>

the 08-W Buffs were the best mint offering ever, the uncs are nice and the Proofs are spectacular.

I think my 08-W buffs will be the last coins I sell from my collection.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No '13 buff plan in place (yet). Another chance to play the flippers by the mint and MORE crap to sell/buy.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

<< <i>No '13 buff plan in place (yet). Another chance to play the flippers by the mint and MORE crap to sell/buy. >>

Why are people speculating on 2013 as opposed to 2012? Thanks, Ron
  • Options
    Always nice to take a 'dibble off' the table and let the rest ride, IMHO.
  • Options
    "Why are people speculating on 2013 as opposed to 2012? Thanks, Ron "

The world ends in 2012, so everyone is looking forward to 2013.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2013 is the 100th anniversary of the first Buffalo nickel.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    If and I stress IF the mint ever reintroduced the fractional buffs they would be over produced, over priced and likely dead money.
  • Options

<< <i>If and I stress IF the mint ever reintroduced the fractional buffs they would be over produced, over priced and likely dead money. >>

Don't know about overpriced? The trend for gold will likely be down by 2013.
  • Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    I received an interesting flyer today from First Federal Coin Corp.

The flyer advertises the 2008 Platinum $10 Eagle (1/10 oz) coin in PCGS MS69 for $349 each or $339 each (group of three) of $329 each (group of five).
    This is the bullion coin and not the burnished 08-W coin with the changing reverse.
  • Options
    The date for shipping the 2009 plat keeps slipping. When I ordered, the ship date was the 23rd....now it's the 29th on my order tracking page. I have no doubt that it will slip into the first part of January 2010 now!

Since I am a novice investor....I have a question about FS status on this coin....

Since they all sold out so quickly...will they all be able to be counted as first strikes if sent into PCGS right away? Will it be worth getting them graded as such?

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    i just received mine this morning, she shipped yesterday afternoon, the pcgs first strike clock should have started yesterday, a 30 day shipping window from then, should accommodate shipping through 01/13/10, should accommodate all 8,000......waiting listers, maybe yes, maybe no

(l8-)>>

• Options
    If you get them quickly send them on in to PCGS for first strike designation.

Eric
  • Options

<< <i>If you get them quickly send them on in to PCGS for first strike designation.

Eric >>

So Eric, you feel it is worth the effort to obtain FS designation, even though many will probably have this done (considering the VERY quick sellout)? Do you think this will be like the UHR coin....with the majority being graded at 70? (Like mine was image)
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do people really STILL care about "FirstStrike?" I mean, they sold out in a week. The mint publicly stated that there is no way to tell if a certain coin is struck before the next based on ship date. What is the premium for??? Aren't we past this hype yet?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Everyone please petition the US Mint to ditch the current Plat Theme and turn loose those former Franklin Mint Engravers on a subject that is surely close to their hearts. I'm talking the lovable characters of the Walt Disney Empire. Can you see a 1 oz Mickey Mouse Platinum Proof Slug/Coin? I'm sure you can. image And I'll bet Disney will even accept one for a weeks worth of business at one of their parks. image

For those that would be interested in such a trade.

• Options
    So...my Plat Proof order was originally on the waiting list but is now in process with the following message: 1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 12/29/2009.

Is this just a come-on...or might I actually get one?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If you get them quickly send them on in to PCGS for first strike designation.

Eric >>

So Eric, you feel it is worth the effort to obtain FS designation, even though many will probably have this done (considering the VERY quick sellout)? Do you think this will be like the UHR coin....with the majority being graded at 70? (Like mine was image) >>

Frankly I think first strike is stupid but some people love them and pay more than they are worth so I just go with the flow on it as long as the cost of having FS in the slab is small. What are you out $30?
  • Options
    I have a STRONG feeling we will not be seeing any bullion plats in 2010 in any form. The Mint has a load of other obligations like the 5 oz silver coins for the state parks among others to fill the schedule. I think the $100 proof plats will continue the promised 6 coin series. They likely are the only plats for 2010 and they will sell out and you can expect 8,000+ for them too.

Consider this in your calculations.....
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So...my Plat Proof order was originally on the waiting list but is now in process with the following message: 1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 12/29/2009.

Is this just a come-on...or might I actually get one? >>

You betcha Rich!!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

<< <i>I have a STRONG feeling we will not be seeing any bullion plats in 2010 in any form. The Mint has a load of other obligations like the 5 oz silver coins for the state parks among others to fill the schedule. >>

The Mint has to devote all resources to produce dollar coins to keep up with demand.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's wednesday but the mint lowered gold product prices today
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    2009 Plat - My order status changed from "backordered - shipping date 12/29/2009" to "reserved and in stock". Also, I noticed the mint did a little "precheck" on my checking account to the tune of $1796.95, although the money actually hasn't been taken out of my account. I remember when I ordered my UHR, the charge appeared and disappeared several times, before they actually charged my account. Probably happen the same way this time.
  • Options
    Eric, what is your take on the price increases for the 1/2 oz. 2008-W Burnished AGE?

I understand why the 1/4 oz. 2008-W Burnished AGE has developed a nice premium, but doesn't the 2008-W 1/2 ozer have a higher mintage than both the 2006-W and 2007-W 1/2 ozers?

Just trying to figure it out.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Went through my 09 fractionals from APMEX.
    Looks like they are cherry picking before sending. I don't think even one could grade a 69 from PCGS, total junk.
    I do notice modern coin mart came out with a number of PCGS 70 first strikes however.
    Hmmm... I wish the mint would sell to us directly.
  • Options
    2008 W $50-------2,253
    2007 W $50-------3,635
    2006 W $50-------2,577

The 2008 W $50 mint state platinum eagle is one mean coin............. amoung the 20 rarest mint state design & denomination based type coins in the last 200 years. So yes I do suspect that they are moving under the influence of those that have the data.
  • Options
    Eric, I understand the 1/2 oz. Plats. I was referring to the 1/2 oz. AGEs.image

Recent auctions for the 1/2 oz. Burnished 2008-W AGE have gone over $1,400 for an ungraded coin in OGP and also an PCGS MS-69.

Not to be outdone , the 1/2 oz. Burnished 2008-W Plats have jumped as well since the mintage figures have been resolved.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    the 2008-w burnished plats haven't jumped nearly enough , consistent with thier rarity

they are currently a BARGAIN compared to the gold buffs..........dont get me wrong, I love those 08-w gold buffs too and own many of them, but if you're gonna spend 1,500 for a 1/2 oz gold buff which has a HIGH* mintage and is the dog of the buffs, you might want to own 2-08w 1/4's or a 08-w 1/2 plats for less money......

2,841 1/4's
    2,253 1/2's

those numbers will bring SEVERAL thousand $$ price tags real soon.
  • Options
    Let me reiterate, again. My question pertains to the2008-W 1/2 oz. Burnished American Gold Eagle. Not the Gold Buff, Not the Burnished Plat. Thanks.

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file