Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<I came out before the close of the sales period and told you guys to go out and buy buffs. >>

<<I was going to buy them anyway, but Eric - your urging sure didn't hurt.>>

Man oh man...what was your address? I'll be right over with my ski mask on!
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Guys,

I came out before the close of the sales period and told you guys to go out and buy buffs. You guys that collect gold coins...... go buy mint state 1999w $10 gold for around $1000 for your collection. In time they will blow the doors off ALL the fractional buffs in 69 or better. Dont chase the masses.

Stay off the 2009 $100 plat if you have limited funds...... GO BUY THE 1999W $10 GOLD EAGLES PRIOR TO MARCH OF 2010. The 2008 $10 proof plats are rarer than Unc Jackie, and key to a CLOSED series and trade for less than $400.

Do this, do it soon.......

Best Wishes,

Eric >>

What happens in March? Also, what is the probability of there being some undiscovered hoard of the '99-W's. And yes I realize 'hoard' is a relative quantity. >>

/

I think that's when Eric's book comes out.

Eric, what about the 1999W $5 gold eagle?
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that considered "insider trading" ahead of the release of a book! imageimage

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    Unless something's changed, amazon sez....his book is coming out in June or July....
  • Eric, I presume you mean the proof version?
  • The mint state 1999-w $10 gold eagle in high grade has a very good chance of being one of if not the strongest coin amoung all moderns in 10 years in my view....... but then free advice is worth what you pay for it. LOL.

Eric

PS: The book is scheduled to go to print in the first week in March.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Guys,

I came out before the close of the sales period and told you guys to go out and buy buffs. You guys that collect gold coins...... go buy mint state 1999w $10 gold for around $1000 for your collection. In time they will blow the doors off ALL the fractional buffs in 69 or better. Dont chase the masses.

Stay off the 2009 $100 plat if you have limited funds...... GO BUY THE 1999W $10 GOLD EAGLES PRIOR TO MARCH OF 2010. The 2008 $10 proof plats are rarer than Unc Jackie, and key to a CLOSED series and trade for less than $400.

Do this, do it soon.......

Best Wishes,

Eric >>

Eric, what about the 1999W $5 gold eagle? >>

--They are good too. Just not as rare. I think the $10 gold 99w will be the key to the entire gold eagle mint state set accross all fractional denominations.

Also, what is the probability of there being some undiscovered hoard of the $10 '99-W's. And yes I realize 'hoard' is a relative quantity.[/
    --Yes they will find some more coins in places that are overlooked now but two loads of 20 rolls each will not change anything long term.
    In ten years with 30-50 grand price tags less than fifty rolls worth have been submitted to NGC & PCGS. Of those 1/3 to 1/2 are resubmits depending on who you talk to. So far a high end guess is about 1,600 coins found and about 1/3rd of those are rough.

• Isn't the 1999 w 10$ one of the highest mintages of the series?

• << <i>Isn't the 1999 w 10$ one of the highest mintages of the series? >>

Not the proofs. I am talking about the mint state 1999-w $10 gold eagles. They were struck with unfinished proof dies and very few of these have been found after 10 years.
  • JaLPJaLP Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    Kablemodem,
    There were a small number of unfinished (unpolished) plachets struck with proof dies, producing "mint state" cojns with the "W" mintmark.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't the 1999 w 10$ one of the highest mintages of the series?

It's an error coin. The Mint made Proof coins with the "W" in 1999, but all of the standard issue Unc coins had no mintmark, as usual.

However, one of the proof dies, before it received the final proof finish, somehow made it into regular production. That produced an Unc finish coin with a "W" mintmark.

Estimated mintages are somewhere in the 1,500 to 2,000 range for the $10 1/4 oz. coin. I could be off on that number. The same thing happened with the $5 1/10 oz. coin, but the mintage was somewhat greater.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being that it's an error coin, many collectors will not consider the 1999-W uncirculated $10 AGE to be essential to the complete set.

Sort of comparable to the 1955 doubled die cent, with an estimated mintage of 20,000, but trading in the same price range as the 1909-S VDB cent, with a mintage 25 times greater.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
  • hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    Eric:

What about the $5 version? What range is a safe buy?
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Not to suggest anything but to be conscious of possibilities...............

Has anyone ever tried to refinish a proof coin to resemble a bullion version??
  • I need a little advice from my favorite thread on this forum. My local B&M has offered me 1850 each for a few 1986 $50 gold eagle proofs. I have all the mint packing and see them selling for 1900 to 2200 on Ebay and I really should pay off a few bills before my wife runs the credit cards up again this Christmas. I do not want to pay the ebay/paypal fees and I am leary about selling any high price items on ebay as I have seen to many horror stories lately about people being robbed by crooked buyers. Will the overpaying that is currently going on for the eagle proofs with the box and COA will continue upward or is this short term insanity and I should sell now ?

Thanks, and 7/8, great call on the Plat Eagles, thanks!

Edited to add, I have a spare COA for a 1oz 1986 eagle if anyone is interested.
  • I recently sold some for $1950.

Like many things in life it wouldn't hurt to get a second or third opinion/price.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's never a bad time to start collectin'

HE>I

• coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    The Buffaloes are doing well

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110464049691&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Not bad for a 1/4 oz. ($860 PF69)

• << <i>Eric:

What about the $5 version? What range is a safe buy? >>

$500 or less. Be picky ABOUT THE QUALITY

• << <i>I need a little advice from my favorite thread on this forum. My local B&M has offered me 1850 each for a few 1986 $50 gold eagle proofs. I have all the mint packing and see them selling for 1900 to 2200 on Ebay and I really should pay off a few bills before my wife runs the credit cards up again this Christmas. I do not want to pay the ebay/paypal fees and I am leary about selling any high price items on ebay as I have seen to many horror stories lately about people being robbed by crooked buyers. Will the overpaying that is currently going on for the eagle proofs with the box and COA will continue upward or is this short term insanity and I should sell now ?

Thanks, and 7/8, great call on the Plat Eagles, thanks!

Edited to add, I have a spare COA for a 1oz 1986 eagle if anyone is interested. >>

Try James Sego over in the BST forum. Scroll to the last few posts to see his current buy price. He has lots of satisfied customers, including myself.

BST thread
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

What should one expect to pay for the $10 1999-W in MS-69 (PCGS)?

<< <i>What should one expect to pay for the $10 1999-W in MS-69 (PCGS)? >>

$700-$900
    <<I wonder how much this will get now that we are all amped about it. >>

Honest question...how does an ICG MS-70 rank vs a PCGS or NGC 70?
    2009 plat is up for sale.

Also, Van Buren Liberty $10 gold is gone. Wonder what final mintage will be.

• nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    2009 Platinum Proof on sale- US Mint

2009 platinum proof now available.

First off, I see that they changed the packaging.

Second, I'd like to say that as opposed to the design as I was, I think it looks better on the concept coin image than it did as a drawing.

Dan
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, I just got off the Mint site with my purchase of the day.

2009 5-coin spouse medal set
    2009 Mariana's quarter roll set

No stinking pc-plat for me....unless the mintage is under 1,000...did I say that out loud?

How big is that black Platinum Eagle folder?

It looks about the same size as the big end of year legacy proof set folio...but for single coin!
    Ok...so heading Eric's advice I've run right out and bought both the $5 & $10 1999-W Eagle "incomplete proof die errors"...in place of buying a Proof Buff this year!

Does anyone think NGC (or anyone else) would slab them as a two-coin set...now that would be pretty cool?!?

<< <i><<I wonder how much this will get now that we are all amped about it. >>

Honest question...how does an ICG MS-70 rank vs a PCGS or NGC 70? >>

There are no PCGS 70s, so I'd say 4th out of three. It'd be somewhat of a gamble, but should get a 68 or 68 at PCGS.
  • DONT BID ON THE OPEN MARKET AGAINST ONE ANOTHER GO BUY THEM FROM RM TRADING AT p# 800-850-4143
  • platinum coin is pricey but you have to read and heed expert advise unless you have unlimited funds. I for one cancelled my buffalo with the mint and bought a pcgs 70 from an expert ( you know who you are) as a better bet going forward. I don't plan on selling, I actually have never sold a coin but bought over XXX. Now they are trapped in a divorce and I only have what I aquired since the beginning of proceedings plus the those before marriage. seperate property.

image and image plus a bit image as I have two young kids and don't have access to see them right now.

divorce sucks.

I advise all on his board to consider keeping a seperate stash of valuables in case you ever get slammed as I did.
    Ships are safe in harbor but thats not what ships were built for.
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146

<< <i>platinum coin is pricey but you have to read and heed expert advise unless you have unlimited funds. I for one cancelled my buffalo with the mint and bought a pcgs 70 from an expert ( you know who you are) as a better bet going forward. I don't plan on selling, I actually have never sold a coin but bought over XXX. Now they are trapped in a divorce and I only have what I aquired since the beginning of proceedings plus the those before marriage. seperate property.

image and image plus a bit image as I have two young kids and don't have access to see them right now.

divorce sucks.

I advise all on his board to consider keeping a seperate stash of valuables in case you ever get slammed as I did. >>

Sorry to here of your problem. I have been married once and still am to the same woman that I married on Jan 19th 1963. Susan and I celebrate our 47th next month and it looks like it's going to last. image
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I found this on die life at the mint;

"For bullion American Eagle and American Buffalo Coins, the United States Mint makes an average of about 6,000 coins from one die set. For proof versions of the 2006 American Buffalo Coins, the yield is an average of about 1,500 coins per die set. For proof versions of the American Eagle Coins, the yield is an average of about 300-500 coins per die set."

Those are off the mint website, it looks like the proof eagles only get 300 to 500 coins per die? Wow.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    PS They blew the doors off on the 2009 bullion gold eagle fractional mintages.image

<< <i>PS They blew the doors off on the 2009 bullion gold eagle fractional mintages.image >>

Details? Link?

Never mind, I found it.

• << <i>PS They blew the doors off on the 2009 bullion gold eagle fractional mintages.image >>

Yes they did.....at some point the market will figure out the serious coins are backdates. Leave 2009 alone. Go work on killer backdates while you can find them.......................
    Eric--Looks like the 99-w is getting more notice since your recent comments. Thanks, my bank account needed a rest. I've been furiously buying them for the last couple of years because the prices have been so low. I grabbed several $5s at ~$400 and $10s around $600. Looks like those days are gone forever!
    BTW, I don't like and don't collect varieties or errors. However, I see the 99-w as it's own unique coin and am not sure it was an error. Knowing the history and process, its hard to believe it was a mistake... jmo

<< <i>Not to suggest anything but to be conscious of possibilities...............

Has anyone ever tried to refinish a proof coin to resemble a bullion version?? >>

Possible. 99-w is a proof die, but not a proof strike. Seems that it would be fairly easy to detect.

edited: 3 posts in a row, too much coffee! Sorry that I'm bogarting the thread.
  • For what it is worth.......a raw 2008-W 1/4 oz. $10 burnished AGE closed over $1000 on Ebay last PM.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190353656081&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>platinum coin is pricey but you have to read and heed expert advise unless you have unlimited funds. I for one cancelled my buffalo with the mint and bought a pcgs 70 from an expert ( you know who you are) as a better bet going forward. I don't plan on selling, I actually have never sold a coin but bought over XXX. Now they are trapped in a divorce and I only have what I aquired since the beginning of proceedings plus the those before marriage. seperate property.

divorce sucks.

I advise all on his board to consider keeping a seperate stash of valuables in case you ever get slammed as I did. >>

Am also sorry to hear of your troubles. I had my divorce before having kids, but it was still a heart-rending experience. Just take it day by day and keep your eye on the only thing that really counts--your children. Raising them is by far the most worthwhile thing most of us will ever do in our lives.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010

I also find it interesting that PCGS and NGC both grade the 1999-W $5 & $10 "errors" as clearly being MS state...but most major listings don't include the MS category...only Proof.

I use Coin World's on-line database as a rough place to keep track of my collection...and sure enough...no line entry for MS 1999-W coins. I guess they don't even consider it a real variety.

Very annoying.
    Re the 2009 Gold Eagle bullion fractionals:

The 2009 one-ounce is closing in on 1.2 million sold, and still commands a premium over earlier dates.

The fractionals so far have a much lower mintage, 43k for the half, 42k for the 1/4 and 260k for the 1/10.

These mintages are not low in absolute terms, but unless many more are struck I think these will also continue to command a premium. Since there are no proof or burnished gold sets this year, many collectors may opt for the 2009 one-ounce and fractional bullion coins to continue having an uninterrupted date series.

• Ouch!

Platinum down $50 from introduction of 2009-W APE.

We'll just have to see if this is a one day blip or start of something bigger..............

• Here is an article about the 2009 fractionals and an allocation process due to strained supply...
    2009 fractionals

Thoughts on the impact....anyone............Bueller?............Bueller?
  • I agree, that's a whole lot more that 2008 W. Not in the same league at all.
    Still, I think we will most likely see at least a temporary pop due to pent up investor demand for any type of gold /reduced offerings.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file