Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's an insane idea as I posted in the other thread. Not only doesn't it make economic sense but it creates animosity towards the Mint. >>

Couldn't agree more.

I meant to add in my original post that the article says: "...the stated $10 surcharge would result in a maximum of $10,000 surcharge revenue for the beneficiary institution....should the program be sold out."

"Should the program sell out" - are they kidding? Dare I say that a sell out is - and I know that I'm taking a leap on this one - fairly likely.

In fact, being one happy to contribute to a good cause, I will volunteer to purchase the entire run :-)
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • How would this be "fairly" distributed????

The same way Washington DC fairly distributes everything. They'll get their parts, and if they get caught, the public will be allowed some too.
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    The 1000 mintage coins is one of the stupidiest ideas I have seem come out of congress coinage wise in at least a week or so.....

The same people that came up with the 5 oz park quarters must have come up with this idea.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    While we're at it I'd love to see final mintages for the 2006-W's since those figures are equally hazy.

• ... platinum is off and running ... $1438.00 as I speak!

• $1455 at this moment.

I would guess it will take prices above $1800 to start another meltdown.

If current prices hold those 2009 1 oz. APEs are going to be very expensive............

• << <i>$1455 at this moment.

If current prices hold those 2009 1 oz. APEs are going to be very expensive............ >>

$1792 to be exact. $1450 was the threshold to the next price increase.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While we're at it I'd love to see final mintages for the 2006-W's since those figures are equally hazy.

Here's the data that I have. Others might chime in to confirm or correct my data:

2006-W Gold:

1/10th oz - 21,864

1/4th oz - 17,926

1/2 oz - 17,136

1 oz - 47,049

2006-W Platinum:

1/10th oz - 3,544 (key date)

1/4th oz - 2,676

1/2 oz - 2,577

1 oz - 3,086 (or 3,068)?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

• << <i>

<< <i>$1455 at this moment.

If current prices hold those 2009 1 oz. APEs are going to be very expensive............ >>

$1792 to be exact. $1450 was the threshold to the next price increase. >>

It was more fun when you had 30 days to game the price..........

<< <i>While we're at it I'd love to see final mintages for the 2006-W's since those figures are equally hazy.

Here's the data that I have. Others might chime in to confirm or correct my data:

2006-W Gold:

1/10th oz - 21,864

1/4th oz - 17,926

1/2 oz - 17,136

1 oz - 47,049

2006-W Platinum:

1/10th oz - 3,544 (key date)

1/4th oz - 2,676

1/2 oz - 2,577

1 oz - 3,086 (or 3,068)? >>

Do you recall where you got those #'s?
    My numbers were significantly higher than that for the gold anyway.
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Uncirculated (Burnished) Gold Eagle Mintage
    Date 1 oz. 1/2 oz. 1/4 oz. 1/10 oz.
    2006-W *
    49,975 18,850 19,925 25,650

Gold Eagle Guide

The APE 1oz is 3,068.
  • The 2006-w gold numbers are wrong and over stated....will post them later.

$50 Proof Buff 2009 gold this week is

32,271 and selling.

Hope you guys kept some mint state 2008 material and proof plats.

<< <i>Now there is discussion of a 1000 limit silver commem.??? How would this be "fairly" distributed???? Seems like a set up for a mess - and a very, very valuable silver commem. to those lucky enough to get one at issue.

Your thoughts??

I hope it doesn't happen. The Mint shouldn't be involved in gaming the system. >>

I hope that they can this as well.

That said, if they did this - speculation of course - what do you all think that one of these coins would go for on the aftermarket? It would be interesting to see the proof/unc distribution. If there was a lottery, most would probably get a proof and the UNC mintage could possibly be <100.
  • As requested
    2006-w MS
    $50....45,912
    $25....15,164
    $10....15,188
    $5......20,643
  • For what it is worth.........

A raw 2008-W AGE uncirculated $10 1/4 oz. just sold on Ebay for $925 with 5 bids over $850.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170408787035&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&autorefresh=true
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    a little bit steep if you ask me.....

why not own a plat 1/4 08-w unc with 2841 mintage......

• << <i>a little bit steep if you ask me.....

why not own a plat 1/4 08-w unc with 2841 mintage...... >>

Remember that price depends on supply and demand, not supply alone. If 50,000 people want a coin with a mintage of 10,000 the price for that coin should be higher than a coin with a mintage of 3,000 that only 5,000 people want. (using hypothetical numbers)
    Kable - gotcha....

but remember, you are dealing with a changing reverse 3 year type set of ultra low mintages

vs. a 23 year running bullion series, where the are few collectors collecting by date/mm -

I stand by my comment.....too pricey.
    To pricey, maybe, but gold has always been much more popular then platinum.....
    Are those of you with .25 oz '08 W AGEs selling now? I have a few that I kept sealed for future sale. Of course it's always best to hold for a year as the profits are taxed at cap. gains. With the price of this coin pushing $1k it may be time to sell now. It's hard to image it going higher or even staying at this level for long. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks, Ron
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146

<< <i>Are those of you with .25 oz '08 W AGEs selling now? I have a few that I kept sealed for future sale. Of course it's always best to hold for a year as the profits are taxed at cap. gains. With the price of this coin pushing $1k it may be time to sell now. It's hard to image it going higher or even staying at this level for long. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks, Ron >>

For what it's worth mine are staying in my SDB along with the 2008 W Platinum and Buffalos. Who knows where inflation and gold prices are headed.
    USAF vet 1951-59

• ... I don't own any of the 08 platinum $25s, but I do own both the proof and uncirculated $50s, which I plan to keep long-term.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>Are those of you with .25 oz '08 W AGEs selling now? . . . It's hard to image it going higher or even staying at this level for long.<<

I think it's still underpriced, since it's the lowest-mintage (non-error) coin in the entire Gold Eagle series. This fact alone will put and keep it on the radar screens of Gold Eagle collectors for the foreseeable future.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• The 2008-W $10 AGE unc is making the 2008-W gold buffalos look like underachievers. Stupid buffalos.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

<< <i>As requested
    2006-w MS
    $50....45,912
    $25....15,164
    $10....15,188
    $5......20,643 >>

Thanks.
    Hey, here's a thought: What about the 1 oz. '08-W unc. AGE as a sleeper? If we're talking mint-state, and we can accept the w-unc and bullion issues as being of the same type, (they look the same to me, only difference being the mintmark), the '08-w has only 64% of the mintage of the next lowest in the series, the '07-W (which would be considered semi-key?) From there it goes to the much higher mintage '06-W at almost 46,000 and on to the '07 bullion at three times that at 140,000 or so.
    Thanks for your thoughts guys, I really appreciate them. I was going to put one up on ebay (I ordered multiple single coins so that I could sell each coin sealed) today to sort of dollar cost average my selling, but given the consensus I'll hold.

On a totally different topic, I assume that everyone has noticed the last chance section of the Mint site. Will we now have very specific notice of when each issue will go off sale? No more sudden suspension of sales? This could make buying decisions such as for the upcoming plat proof much easier.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&identifier=7600
  • Guys the 2008-w $10 gold is a long term hold if you collect/invest. If you are just a flipper/day trader then you need to get rid of them right away to hurry along the dealer inventory dissipation cycle so they can really get tight in the market a couple years out. :-)

The 08-w models at 2+ grand at maturity. The 99-w models at 3-5 grand at series maturity. All assuming MS-69.

Eric

• << <i>

<< <i>As requested
    2006-w MS
    $50....45,912
    $25....15,164
    $10....15,188
    $5......20,643 >>

Thanks.
    Hey, here's a thought: What about the 1 oz. '08-W unc. AGE as a sleeper? If we're talking mint-state, and we can accept the w-unc and bullion issues as being of the same type, (they look the same to me, only difference being the mintmark), the '08-w has only 64% of the mintage of the next lowest in the series, the '07-W (which would be considered semi-key?) From there it goes to the much higher mintage '06-W at almost 46,000 and on to the '07 bullion at three times that at 140,000 or so. >>

I agree. Given the data we have now the $50 2008-w gold looks good. But unlike the fractionals we know more "w" issues are coming so their key date status is not certain yet.

Eric
    I agree. Given the data we have now the $50 2008-w gold looks good. But unlike the farctionals we know more "w" issues are coming sokey date status is not certain yet.

Are the 1 ozer Burnished "W"s coming back?image

I knew it would happen.
    Are those of you with .25 oz '08 W AGEs selling now?

Not just "no", but "he!! no".image

I knew it would happen.

• I agree. Given the data we have now the $50 2008-w gold looks good. But unlike the fractionals we know more "w" issues are coming so their key date status is not certain yet.

Correct the Mint says they plan on making 2010 $50 gold "w" unc eagles. Subject to change but they are in the hopper.

• << <i>The 2008-W $10 AGE unc is making the 2008-W gold buffalos look like underachievers. Stupid buffalos. >>

.........................................................................................................................................................................................

Easy on the Buffalos............the 1/4 $10 MS and PR Buffalos still sell on average for more than the 2008-W 1/4 $10 AGE

IMO the AGE will appeal to the mintage driven collectors and the buffalos to the design driven collectors.

(Large disclaimer.............I have plenty of each...........actually more 1/4 eagles.)
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree. Given the data we have now the $50 2008-w gold looks good. But unlike the farctionals we know more "w" issues are coming sokey date status is not certain yet.

Are the 1 ozer Burnished "W"s coming back?image >>

We don't know what the Mint will or won't mint in future years. Fractional gold and plats are a real possibility and I'd be very surprised if we don't see fractional gold and platinum Buffaloes in 2013. JMO

<< <i>Guys the 2008-w $10 gold is a long term hold if you collect/invest. If you are just a flipper/day trader then you need to get rid of them right away to hurry along the dealer inventory dissipation cycle so they can really get tight in the market a couple years out. :-)

The 08-w models at 2+ grand at maturity. The 99-w models at 3-5 grand at series maturity. All assuming MS-69.

Eric >>

Hi Eric-

As always, thanks for your insight!!

Approx. how long is "series maturity"?

Thanks, Ron

• << <i>

<< <i>Guys the 2008-w $10 gold is a long term hold if you collect/invest. If you are just a flipper/day trader then you need to get rid of them right away to hurry along the dealer inventory dissipation cycle so they can really get tight in the market a couple years out. :-)

Eric >>

Hi Eric-

As always, thanks for your insight!!

Approx. how long is "series maturity"?

Thanks, Ron >>

... great question!!
    Eric -

I'm certainly with you on the 99-w AGE's......hands down, low mintage, error, low survivors in high grade.

Dont know about that 08-W 1/4......developing a decent maturity value requires fairly strong demand, and for many years we have been talking about date/mm collectors going the way of the dino's in favor of changing reverse or type collectors, do you sense a change of collecting habits?

• << <i>Eric -

I'm certainly with you on the 99-w AGE's......hands down, low mintage, error, low survivors in high grade.

Dont know about that 08-W 1/4......developing a decent maturity value requires fairly strong demand, and for many years we have been talking about date/mm collectors going the way of the dino's in favor of changing reverse or type collectors, do you sense a change of collecting habits? >>

Mike I dont think that date and mint mark collecting is going the way of the dino's. I agree that design based differentiation is going to become increasingly important based on what the Mint is teaching the next generation of collector though changing reverse pocket change. The factional modern gold has a massive population and the "w" mint marks are amazingly low mintage compared to their siblings. The 2008-w quarter and 2007-w half are going to get promoted over the next few years and I think they are still cheap long term. How long it will take to reach maturity is a very hard question and I dont know the answer.

• Eric:

What do you think of the new 2009 Platinum reverse design?

Do you think all 8000 will sell?

David

My new NN arrived today. I'm very glad to see the page 4 story on the new final numbers. Hopefully this will increase interest in the incredible coins of '08. I do wish however that they had mentioned the new key status of many of the '08 w issues. I have no idea why they didn't as this is a key part of the story of '08 W mintage numbers.
    I was finally able to get my 1/10 oz 06-W platinum coin today at the coin show.....

Happy Happy image

Absolutely amazing what proof gold eagles are selling for right now.....
    Ordinary proof gold eagles are bringing big numbers because of demand for GOLD IRA's.....

Buy on anything now is $2,000/oz wholesale. The bad part is - anyone looking to put it in a Gold IRA is looking at $3,000/oz for the placement......a huge profit for the guys providing material for these physical IRA's

As for the fractional 08-w eagles, I'm still not sold on the real demand on these coins...

I'm with anyone on the 08-w fractional Buffalo's, being the ONLY year of fractionals, a killer design, etc.

But those 08-w fractional eagles.....ugghhh, tired old 23 year old design, date/mm collectors need 22-23 pieces plus the W collector versions, I can't see demand forming that well, save for the "cross over" demand on all 08-w dated material out there now....

Yes, the numbers are low, but in the short run 1000-1200 per quarter seems mighty rich, temptation is a bi&ch, but you know what they say -

"No one ever lost money taking their profit"
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was finally able to get my 1/10 oz 06-W platinum coin today at the coin show.....

Happy Happy image

>>

Congratulations to you Raven, you got the King of the plats.image
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>Ordinary proof gold eagles are bringing big numbers because of demand for GOLD IRA's.....<<

Are the 2006-W and 2007-W uncirculated (burnished) Gold Eagles eligible for IRAs also? They aren't participating in this proof mania at all, at least the one-ounce $50 coins aren't.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

I don't believe that they are.....

Proof platinum coins are not either.....

• << <i>Ordinary proof gold eagles are bringing big numbers because of demand for GOLD IRA's.....

Buy on anything now is $2,000/oz wholesale. The bad part is - anyone looking to put it in a Gold IRA is looking at $3,000/oz for the placement......a huge profit for the guys providing material for these physical IRA's >>

I have also heard this reason , where are you getting the numbers from? Are people actually paying 3000 an oz for gold in an IRA?. I thought that all eagles were eligible including platinum
    Buy the dips!!!
    I sold my gold proof eagles today....

They told me the platinum proof coins are not eligible..... The platinum proof coins are selling for less then the gold coins.....

• << <i>I sold my gold proof eagles today....

They told me the platinum proof coins are not eligible..... The platinum proof coins are selling for less then the gold coins..... >>

Just looked at a couple of sites and they state that bullion bars ( 24K) and all coins including maple leafs and eagles but not Krands, all platinum , palladium and silver bars and silver eagles are eligible.
    Buy the dips!!!
    joflax

as crazy as it may sound, investors are paying 3,000/oz for placement in physical IRA's (Proof Gold Eagles $50/1 oz any date with box and papers)

just over $2,000 is the wholesale buy for these coins.......that's a big $1G profit for the big boys who provide them to the IRA's

• << <i>joflax

as crazy as it may sound, investors are paying 3,000/oz for placement in physical IRA's (Proof Gold Eagles $50/1 oz any date with box and papers)

just over $2,000 is the wholesale buy for these coins.......that's a big $1G profit for the big boys who provide them to the IRA's >>

How do I get to be one of those big boys???
    Buy the dips!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file