Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• The 2008 gold and plat eagles in all forms are OK.

Half is not happy with the final report dated sept 30th 2009 for 2008 proof buffs. He says that the previous reports that all carry the lable tentative are not in agreement with the sept 30th report and thats correct. But which one do you want to go with "tentative" reports or post close of "fiscal year reports".

Eric
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I thought they made 51k and were going to sell 50k?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

<<I thought they made 51k and were going to sell 50k?>>

Making 1,000 extra to cover returns and damages might not be too outlandish...since that's only a 2% variation...which is close enough for government work (as the old saying goes).
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    The mint knows they have 50k of the Lincoln sets to sell.....

They take orders for 51k sets knowing that thought problems and the like they will lose nearly 1000 sets and then will have a sell out of 50k.....

I don't see the difficulty here.....

We know they take orders after the product is "sold out".....

You are saying that these final numbers of 25k is not possible, why is that, based on other numbers which have been provided by the mint over previous months?
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Raven, see this post.

Linky

Compare the proof buffalo ounce and 1/10 ounce to the new numbers and you will see what I mean. Also they struck more unc than proof buffalo according to that.

BTW All I want are the real numbers whatever they may be, it is not a matter of who it helps. It should have been possible to have them to within a dozen or so coins many months ago.

• 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    It is very apparent that those who read the sales reports as "scripture" have been let down very badly this week.

I think i said that before.

You cant trust ANY of the reports except for the FINAL AUDIT. That seems to be the end of year report that Eric has kindly posted.
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

<<I thought they made 51k and were going to sell 50k?>>

No problem...the 1,000 "extra" went to all the SOBs on Capitol Hill!

• << <i>I predict the 2009 Buff proof ends up on the high side of 30,000, maybe even 40K >>

Hope you guys note what Deepcoin just said. He is one of the guys you need to listen to. I do.

Eric
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Raven, see this post.

Linky

Compare the proof buffalo ounce and 1/10 ounce to the new numbers and you will see what I mean. Also they struck more unc than proof buffalo according to that.

BTW All I want are the real numbers whatever they may be, it is not a matter of who it helps. It should have been possible to have them to within a dozen or so coins many months ago. >>

When is that report worth more then this report?

We have the final numbers that is all that really matters.....

We are talking about a government entity here, of course they can't get everything right.....

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭
    Here are the numbers SIDE by SIDE.

Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • Michael at MintNewsBlog has also published the final 2008 mintage numbers EXCLUDING the buffalo proofs. He's also seeking confirmation on these before publishing the numbers.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Do the ASE numbers include the dollar sets also?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

<< <i>

<< <i>I predict the 2009 Buff proof ends up on the high side of 30,000, maybe even 40K >>

Hope you guys note what Deepcoin just said. He is one of the guys you need to listen to. I do.

Eric >>

What would he be basing that on and why are you so confident?
    7/8 the mint needs to go over all the numbers again, the proof buffalo and 1/4 gold eagle proof seems off. If the 2008 w unc platinum numbers are accurate I am fine with those, but at least they should all be accurate.

It seems even Numismaster.com scratched their heads over this so I am not alone in wondering about this.

The mint can at least double check as if some numbers are off who knows what happened?image
  • A rising tide lift all platinum boats..................

Spot touched $1400 today.

All we need is a $1900-$2000 spot price to really mix things up!

• 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I remember quite a heated discussion about 900 08-w plat unc sets being bogus.......seems like the numbers have confirmed that too!!!!

My opinion from Nov 12, 2008................................

For the UNC-W's

With the 4 cn set going dark at 1250~

The 1/10 reverting back to 2100~

The 1/4 at a falsely reported 2500~ (I have to go all out and say this is a joke-NEVER, NEVER have they sold more than 1250 single issue)

MY opinion is the final numbers will look like this

1 oz 1250
    1/2 oz 1000
    1/4 oz 1000
    1/10 oz 2100
    Sets 1250

• ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    I have been comparing the actual numbers versus the previously reported sales and have been surprised by some of the results, especially the Buffalo proofs and the APE Unc-W.

I remember 2008 as a wild year:
    o wild fluctuating, roller coaster precious metal prices,
    o multiple US Mint repricings with lots of returns
    o suspension of sales
    o wild speculation about if and when the US Mint would re-open sales of APEs, AGEs, and Buffalo gold
    o the re-opening of sales and the re-pricing of the APEs within a short time
    o the sudden stop in sales of APEs and AGEs
    o the switch in fulfulment center from Memphis to Plainfield
    o the long wait for replacements/refunds of coins
    o the long awaited delivery of some APE coins.

You have to wonder about the complexity of inventory control, re-pricing, and worst of all, inventory shrink at the US Mint.

Due to the advice of Eric and others on this forum, I was fortunate to acquire APEs, AGEs, and Buffalo coins.
    I am not trying to re-ignite the "scarcity versus value" debate which has dominated the discussion of this and other threads.

As Eric and others have said, these are the numbers that we will have to live with until/unless they are revised.

• SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been comparing the actual numbers versus the previously reported sales and have been surprised by some of the results, especially the Buffalo proofs and the APE Unc-W.

I remember 2008 as a wild year:
    o wild fluctuating, roller coaster precious metal prices,
    o multiple US Mint repricings with lots of returns
    o suspension of sales
    o wild speculation about if and when the US Mint would re-open sales of APEs, AGEs, and Buffalo gold
    o the re-opening of sales and the re-pricing of the APEs within a short time
    o the sudden stop in sales of APEs and AGEs
    o the switch in fulfulment center from Memphis to Plainfield
    o the long wait for replacements/refunds of coins
    o the long awaited delivery of some APE coins.

>>

2008 WAS A CRAZY YEAR from the Mint. I am holding to these coins for a while. ONLY time will tell how great these will be.

SNMAN
    Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am holding to these coins for a while. ONLY time will tell how great these will be.

SNMAN

I agree with you, SNMAN. Let the dust settle and let the market speak before making any rash moves. I doubt that we'll ever have to panic and sell any of the 2008 issues for melt. Enjoy the ride, it's just started.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is odd that there were no 2008 w plat sales today on Ebay given the release of the new numbers.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • They must have melted the returned coins and not filled backorders perhaps.

I don't know if they were returns or not, but I received a couple plats in late January. I thought those orders were dead ducks but didn't go to the bother of deleting them.
    It is odd that there were no 2008 w plat sales today on Ebay given the release of the new numbers.

Maybe the sellers no longer want to be sellers until the prices shake out. Or maybe it's just a temporary fluke. We shall see.

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>They must have melted the returned coins and not filled backorders perhaps.

There must be a good number of 2008-W plats that are now a part of someones catalytic converter. image
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    There is a no reserve 2007-W $10 PCGS MS70 on eBay right now. I have NO interest in this coin financially, just information for the platinum crowd.

The instance of true auctions for plats is fairly rare these days. Are people afraid of the true market or just holding on? or ???
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
    According to the charts Platinum had a triple top breakout yesterday, so prices could go to $1560 near term, but its only a chart.image
  • nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    The instance of true auctions for plats is fairly rare these days. Are people afraid of the true market or just holding on? or ???

I've soured on ebay.

For one thing, the ebay fee schedule, plus paypal, allow ebay to make more money on a transaction than I do.

For another, paypal is the absolute worst. The last time I sold on ebay, the high bidder of a sealed box 2008 unc 4 coin set complained of an open capsule inside the sealed box. He filed a dispute with paypal. I challenged the dispute -- the buyer bought a sealed box and that's what he admitted to receiving. Despite this, paypal sided with him. I lost my time and postage/insurance costs. Since the returned set was an open box, I also lost the difference in value between that and a sealed box (probably a few hundred dollars). All that stress and nothing to show for it? no thanks.

Another buyer left me a neg comment for a similar reason-- he purchased a sealed box gold buffalo set, opened it and negged me because it contained a loose capsule.

A few years ago, I sold an item to a bidder for $1. I emailed him for two months, and he never responded. I finally negged him, and he retaliated, claiming he had paid and that I never sent him the item. I had 100% feedback before that, and his neg was a lie, but ebay didn't care.

I'd rather not participate in a system that charges me big fees and provides zero protection from bad buyers.
    Dan

• << <i>Here are the numbers SIDE by SIDE.

image >>

Are All 2008-W Gold now the key`s ???? image
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>Are All 2008-W Gold now the key`s ????<<

The low-mintage (8883) 2008-W quarter-ounce burnished Gold Eagle looks to be rising fast. A raw one sold at $681 on eBay recently, and PCGS MS70s are bringing about $950 each.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Could anyone list the final mintages for all of the 2007-W Burnished AGEs for me? I can never seem to get an answer on them. Thanks!

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>The instance of true auctions for plats is fairly rare these days. Are people afraid of the true market or just holding on? or ???

I've soured on ebay.

For one thing, the ebay fee schedule, plus paypal, allow ebay to make more money on a transaction than I do.

For another, paypal is the absolute worst. The last time I sold on ebay, the high bidder of a sealed box 2008 unc 4 coin set complained of an open capsule inside the sealed box. He filed a dispute with paypal. I challenged the dispute -- the buyer bought a sealed box and that's what he admitted to receiving. Despite this, paypal sided with him. I lost my time and postage/insurance costs. Since the returned set was an open box, I also lost the difference in value between that and a sealed box (probably a few hundred dollars). All that stress and nothing to show for it? no thanks.

Another buyer left me a neg comment for a similar reason-- he purchased a sealed box gold buffalo set, opened it and negged me because it contained a loose capsule.

A few years ago, I sold an item to a bidder for $1. I emailed him for two months, and he never responded. I finally negged him, and he retaliated, claiming he had paid and that I never sent him the item. I had 100% feedback before that, and his neg was a lie, but ebay didn't care.

I'd rather not participate in a system that charges me big fees and provides zero protection from bad buyers. >>

I've been hit with the open capsule issue myself. I have a Radiologist friend. Periodically I take the items that I plan to sell "sealed" and have him X-ray the box for me. If any coins do not appear to be in the correct position, I open the box and fix it instead of selling sealed.

If any of you are friends with an Radiologist, Radiology Tech, Sheriff's Deputy (a lot of court houses have x ray machines), etc. This works great.

• << <i>

<< <i>Here are the numbers SIDE by SIDE.

image >>

Are All 2008-W Gold now the key`s ???? image >>

Gold eagle order of dominance
    $5 gold order is 1999-w, 2008-w, 2006-w
    $10 gold order is 1999-w, 2008-w, 2007-w
    $25 gold order is 2007-w, 2006-w, 2008-w
    $50 gold order 1999-w, 2008-w, 2007-w

2007 gold w eagles 1 .5 .25 .1
  • Thanks Eric, 2007-W Is Key 1/2 oz. all the rest of the keys are the 1999 Errors !!! image

• << <i>The instance of true auctions for plats is fairly rare these days. Are people afraid of the true market or just holding on? or ???

I've soured on ebay.

I'd rather not participate in a system that charges me big fees and provides zero protection from bad buyers. >>

image I am also very tired of the fees charged and dealing with Ebay/paypal. At least before we were forced into paypal and their fees you could get a check or money order, after a sale, wait for it to clear, send the item and you were done. Honest sellers are getting robbed by crooks and then beat up again when dealing with paypal. Someone on the forum stated they will not sell any high end items unless the buyer has at least 50 good feedback ratings on Ebay. I used to look for at least ten, but I think I am going to require 50 ratings before selling any higher priced items.

<< <i>Thanks Eric, 2007-W Is Key 1/2 oz. all the rest of the keys are the 1999 Errors !!! image >>

From the apparently stupid question dept., I thought that the 99 w errors are $5 and $10 coins. There was a $50 99 w error?

• << <i>

<< <i>Thanks Eric, 2007-W Is Key 1/2 oz. all the rest of the keys are the 1999 Errors !!! image >>

From the apparently stupid question dept., I thought that the 99 w errors are $5 and $10 coins. There was a $50 99 w error? >>

..... was there a $50.00 error ???

• No just one $50 1999-w on purpose... i am not certain they were an error. All three 99w issues could very well have been intentional on someones part.
  • Hi Eric:

Do you have any updated research that might indicate more exactly how many of the 1999-W gold Eagle errors were produced and / or exist today?

I spoke with Fred Weinberg about a year ago, and Fred indicated that he thought that many of the error coins were unknowly sent to Japan during
    the run-up to Y2K, where they were used as jewelry.

Thoughts?

Do the new numbers change the status of the Silver Eagles. Seems to me the other burnished Eagles were over 500k or nearly there.
    2007 gold w eagles 1 .5 .25 .1

Eric, thank-you. So, the same thing happened in 2007 that happened in 2008? A bunch of coins were produced and either returned or not ordered?

The end of year reporting on 2007 seemed kind of hazy. Is it just me, or is that how things came down?image

I knew it would happen.
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Has anyone here had any experience submitting bulk submissions of burnished 1/4 oz 2008 W Gold $10 Eagles? Specifically I am interested in the ratio of MS70 to MS69, or lower, as I own a number of these coins.
    USAF vet 1951-59

• << <i>Has anyone here had any experience submitting bulk submissions of burnished 1/4 oz 2008 W Gold $10 Eagles? Specifically I am interested in the ratio of MS70 to MS69, or lower, as I own a number of these coins. >>

never did a bulk submission with gold but i sent in 3 of these and all went 70. pop report has 1,073 graded with 461 ms69 and 610 in ms70. you should get better than 50% 70`s image
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.

<< <i>

<< <i>Has anyone here had any experience submitting bulk submissions of burnished 1/4 oz 2008 W Gold $10 Eagles? Specifically I am interested in the ratio of MS70 to MS69, or lower, as I own a number of these coins. >>

never did a bulk submission with gold but i sent in 3 of these and all went 70. pop report has 1,073 graded with 461 ms69 and 610 in ms70. you should get better than 50% 70`s image >>

Sounds great! I've got five mint sealed. Going to send them for grading. Thanks for the info!
    (from a new thread that I just started, I'm reposting here as I'm especially interested in the thoughts of those on this thread...)

Sorry if this has been covered in anther thread (I didn't see it).

Many of you surely read the 11/16 CW cover story "Bills seek commems with 1,000-coin mintages." The article describes efforts by some in Congress "seeking silver dollars commemorating the opening of the International Civil Rights Center and Museum in Greensboro, N.C., with mintages limited to 1,000 coins"

The article notes that the House and Senate bills "...share a goal or producing 1,000 2010 silver dollars 0 in Uncirculated and Proof qualities." I think that this means 1,000 total. Thus there could perhaps be Uncs. with a 300 mintage!!!! WOW.

Do you all think that this is a good idea? Who would get them? Think that the Mint web site and phone lines were jammed with the Lincoln set, imagine this one! There would be a LOT of collectors taking the day off from work on issue day to be sure. How much would they bring in frantic aftermarket sales?

In the case of many recent Mint issues, The Mint has made a point of noting that via household limits they were seeking to insure maximum and fair distribution of Mint products. Many who follow the (most excellent) Moderns thread have discussed the Mint's excuse for not minting 2009 W Gold and Silver proofs as being that they could not insure enough to meet demand.

Now there is discussion of a 1000 limit silver commem.??? How would this be "fairly" distributed???? Seems like a set up for a mess - and a very, very valuable silver commem. to those lucky enough to get one at issue.

Your thoughts??

• nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    Now there is discussion of a 1000 limit silver commem.??? How would this be "fairly" distributed???? Seems like a set up for a mess - and a very, very valuable silver commem. to those lucky enough to get one at issue.

Your thoughts??

I hope it doesn't happen. The Mint shouldn't be involved in gaming the system.
    Dan
  • The 08W Plats seem to be moving up...a 4 coin UNC set (raw but sealed) just sold on eBay for $5k....they were $3600 a week ago...

Linky

FloridaBill
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that is something. I bought mine separately - well not the 10 doll & that was the hard way....

Back to the prev. topic - this is a dangerous precedent for the mint to go down a road like this, and folks including me will be pissed at them taking such a perogative even if Congress mandated...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

• << <i>(from a new thread that I just started, I'm reposting here as I'm especially interested in the thoughts of those on this thread...)

Sorry if this has been covered in anther thread (I didn't see it).

Many of you surely read the 11/16 CW cover story "Bills seek commems with 1,000-coin mintages." The article describes efforts by some in Congress "seeking silver dollars commemorating the opening of the International Civil Rights Center and Museum in Greensboro, N.C., with mintages limited to 1,000 coins"

The article notes that the House and Senate bills "...share a goal or producing 1,000 2010 silver dollars 0 in Uncirculated and Proof qualities." I think that this means 1,000 total. Thus there could perhaps be Uncs. with a 300 mintage!!!! WOW.

Do you all think that this is a good idea? Who would get them? Think that the Mint web site and phone lines were jammed with the Lincoln set, imagine this one! There would be a LOT of collectors taking the day off from work on issue day to be sure. How much would they bring in frantic aftermarket sales?

In the case of many recent Mint issues, The Mint has made a point of noting that via household limits they were seeking to insure maximum and fair distribution of Mint products. Many who follow the (most excellent) Moderns thread have discussed the Mint's excuse for not minting 2009 W Gold and Silver proofs as being that they could not insure enough to meet demand.

Your thoughts?? >>

Stupid idea.........Purpose of these commemoratives is to raise money for specific cause. Cost of a short run of 1,000 would likely be very high on a per coin basis. Consider die design and set up, packaging, advertising, etc. Then add in a surcharge to benefit the desired cause and you'd likely have a $300-$500+ silver dollar.............
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    It's an insane idea as I posted in the other thread. Not only doesn't it make economic sense but it creates animosity towards the Mint.
    USAF vet 1951-59

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file