Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The Official 2008 TOPPS HERITAGE Thread

Comments

• GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Here's my list of panels. I"ve got a ton more coming in the next few days, so should have a much more definitive list

Shields/Mclouth/Thompson
    Mclouth/Thomson/Phillips
    Thompson/Phillips/Manny Thrills
    Manny Thrills/Kemp/CPena
    CPena/Carmona/DiceK

Pence/Guillen/Weathers
    Guillen/Weathers/Chavez
    Chavez/Greinke/Willingham
    Willingham/Galarraga/WRodriquez
    WRodriquez/WMPena/BJones

Ramiriz/Barfield/Cordero (2)
    Barfield/Cordero/Johjima
    Johjima/Soriano/Piazza (2)

CYoung/Haren/Loney

Morgan/Marshall/Monroe
    Marshall/Monroe/Ramirez
    Monroe/Ramirez/Milledge
    ARamiriz/Milledge/Directing the Power
    Milledge/Directing the Power/Zito (3)
    Directing the power/Zito/Young
    DYoung/Gallardo/Duncan (3)
    Velez/Iwamura/Betancourt

Lofton Thrills/Cust/Harang
    Myers/Lofton Thrills/Cust
    Manny/RJohnson/Myers

JohnSmoltz/FenceBusters/AJones
    AJones/SDrew/Nathan (2)
    SDrew/Nathan/Arroyo
    Nathan/Arroyo/Towles
    Towles/Ryan/Oswalt

Hardy/Rios/Santana(Twins)
    Santana/Halladay/Wilkerson
    Halladay/Wilkerson/Pierre
    Wilkerson/Pierre/BMolina
    Pieree/BMolina/Murphy (2)
    Molina/Murphy/Lackey
    Murphy/Lackey/Carlisle

Helton/KJohnson/ARod
    ARod/Street/Grudzielanek
    Grudzielanek/Thome/Koshansky
    Thome/Koshansky/AGonzalez

Lincecum/Kendall/Cubs
    Kendall/Cubs/TadIguchi

AceHurlers/Pedrioa/Berkman
    Pedrioa/Berkman/Francoeur
    Francoeur/Ramiriz/Barfield

Ruiz/Swisher/Hart
    Swisher/Hart/Liz (3)

Wilson/Gomez/Sosa
    Gomez/Sosa/Martin (2)

Rivera/Webb/Cain (2)

I'll keep updating as I get more in, hopefully we can connect the string.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Anthony, You're just buying ad panels, right? You haven't opened all those boxes for them have you?

My want/need list is coming.

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Here are the Ad Panels I got:
    Haren/Loney/Furcal
    Ohlendorf/Capps/C.Young
    Teixeira/Smoltz/Fence Busters(Jones/Jones)
    R.Johnson/Myers/Lofton
    M.Rivera/Webb/Cain
    Lofton/Cust/Harang
    Arroyo/Towles/Ryan
    Milledge/Directing The Power(Young-Zimmerman)/Zito
    A.Ramirez/Milledge/Directing The Power(Young/Zimmerman)
    Marshall/Monroe/A.Ramirez
    Rios/J.Santana/Halladay
    Johjima/Soriano/Piazza
    Koshansky/Gonzalez/Utley
    Zito/D.Young/Gallardo

Good luck chcklisting these.It seems like there could be a thousand with all the player combinations and with some players appearing on multiple panels.
    Mike
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Dave-
    I opened a case. Pretty even distribution, got the entire set and non Gu/ink subsets except for 1 card.
    I did go a bit overboard on picking up panels, hopefully I complete that set. I've been looking for the doubleheader boxtoppers from '05 but never see any, and didn't want to get shut out on these. I keep trying to win salesman samples from the '50's and 60's and always seem to fall short, so this will have to hold me over.
    The buybacks are horrible! vg at best, and all 6 I got were rookie stars, no one of any note. Did pull a couple of black ink, Ted Kazanski and HOFer Bill Mazeroski.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• << <i>Dave-
    I opened a case. Pretty even distribution, got the entire set and non Gu/ink subsets except for 1 card.
    I did go a bit overboard on picking up panels, hopefully I complete that set. I've been looking for the doubleheader boxtoppers from '05 but never see any, and didn't want to get shut out on these. I keep trying to win salesman samples from the '50's and 60's and always seem to fall short, so this will have to hold me over.
    The buybacks are horrible! vg at best, and all 6 I got were rookie stars, no one of any note. Did pull a couple of black ink, Ted Kazanski and HOFer Bill Mazeroski. >>

i think i have a doubleheader lying around somewhere. PM me who you are looking for and i'll try to find it.

edited to add: i found it, Rocco Baldelli / Hank Blalock
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    Just won 7 game used, 27 chrome, and 6 refractors for about $105 delivered! Not good for me to be bored on a Sunday afternoon with no ripping or sorting to do during heritage season. I'm sure I'll end up getting some doubles but that will just be more trade bait!

I missed getting to a card shop by 10 minutes yesterday and I could see the boxes of heritage stacked right out in front and the light was still on but nobody was around! Grrrr............ Going to swing by walmart to get a sharpie....may have to buy SOMETHING to pass the time!

Keep the pictures coming. I'll be trying to do chrome, refractors, gu'd, and master again. Even though I still don't have those complete from 06 and 07....I doubt I'll ever get the 06 completed due to the SP game used.

Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Guys, I'm not a set builder, but I'd really like to put together the All-Star subset.

One board member made me a good offer on a handful of them, but I've got a ways to go. Can anyone help? I'd like to get as many as possible from one person, so let me know what you've got. I don't have anything to trade (unless you want some Will Clark cards), but I'm happy to pay via PayPal or check.

Thanks, guys!

Drew

I still need:
  • If my theory on the Perez David Wright variation card is correct then this guy would not be too happy buying this once retail is released:

David Wright (Perez)

Craig in Texas
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same Gomez Kevin. Here you go:

• joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Oh man good stuff guys, here is what I have so far:

STRING 1: Morgan-Marshall-Monroe-A Ram-Milledge-(Young/Zimm)-Zito-Dm Young-Gallardo-Duncan (10)

STRING 2: VMart-CC Sab-Delgado-Broadway-Ohlendorf-Capps-CYoung-Haren-Loney-Furcal (10)

STRING 3: Edmonds-HoRam-Bannister-ManRam-Unit-Myers-LoftonThrills-Cust-Harang-Vlad (10)

STRING 4: Duke-Helton-KJohnson-Arod-Street-Grudz-Thome-Koshansky-AGonzo-Utley (10)

STRING 5: (Webb/Peavy)-Pedrioa-Berkman-Franc-HanRam-Barf-Cordero-Johjima-Soriano-Piazza (10)

STRING 6: Velez-Iwamura-Betancourt-Lincecum-Kendell-Cubs-Iguchi-Rivera-Webb-Cain (10)

STRING 7: Pence-Guillen-Weathers-Chavez-Grienke-Willingham-Gallaraga-Wandy-WilyMo-BJones (10)

STRING 8: Shields-McLouth-RThomson-Phillips-ManX3-Kemp-Pena-Carmona-DiceK-Votto (10)

STRING 9: Tiexeria-Smoltz-Joneses-AJones-StDrew-Nathan-Arroyo-Towles-BJRyan-Oswalt (10)

STRING 10: Hardy-Rios-Santana-Halladay-Wilkerson-Pierre-Bmolina-Murph-Lackey-Carlyle (10)

STRING 11: Maddux-Ruiz-Swisher-Hart-Liz-JWilson-CGomez-Sosa-RMartin-Buehrle (10)

So far that is a total of 106 cards, if all the strings have 10 in them that would make the panel set complete at 110 cards which sounds
    about right. Im not sure if topps was thinking or not but this means that a set will have to have 4 panels per string. I guess a printing
    sheet holds 10 and not 9 or 18. If anyone can fill in the holes, let me know, Ill add it to this! Thanks for all your help!

Kevin
  • I've opened several packs and found some packs only have 7 cards. The front of pack says 8 cards +bubble gum packes w/ relics contain 7 cards. I didn't find any relics? Any thoughts.
    Thanks Brian
  • parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    KEvin, awesome job- now i don't have to type allmine in - mine all fit within your strings...except i can add a new one!

i have koshansky, a-gonzo, and ..... UTLEY

so I would bet there are other string enders to make them all 10 wide....which means there are a possible combination of 8 panels per string....so 88 panels would represent all possible panel configurations...yikes!
  • Brian,

Lots of people have had 7 cards in their packs and no black backs.

Kevin,

Awesome detective work!! image

Craig in Texas
  • Kevin, I did a bit of searching on eBay, and found a few additions:

On string 1 I found a panel with Morgan, Marshall, and Monroe, so adding that 1 card brings the line to 10 Link
    On string 9 I found a panel on eBay that begins with Teixeria, Smoltz, and the Joneses. Link

2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
    Then string 1 had to be a typo on Kevin's part, because there is no way he could know about Morgan and Monroe but not Marshall who is in between the two of them.
  • That's what I thought. With string 1, 4 and 9 to 10 cards, that only leaves string 2 and the puzzle is complete.image
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    I had the Morgan/marshall/Monroe in my list........Kevin is probably cross eyed from copying everyones list with different abbreviations and spellings.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    any help with pricing base cards form the 06 and 07 sets? I'd like to give the board members a fair chance for a few starter sets, but would like help with pricing. Please PM if possible, this thread just keeps going on!
  • If there are 10 players per string and the panels do not cross over to other strings, then the maximum number of cards per string are 8. Thus, there would be 88 cards for the set. For example, if we use string 11, the combinations are as follows:

(1) Maddux-Ruiz-Swisher

(2) Ruiz-Swisher-Hart

(3) Swisher-Hart-Liz

(4) Hart-Liz-JWilson

(5) Liz-JWilson-CGomez

(6) JWilson-CGomez-Sosa

(7) CGomez-Sosa-RMartin

(8) Sosa-RMartin-Buehrle

• << <i>Oh man good stuff guys, here is what I have so far:

STRING 9: Smoltz-Joneses-AJones-StDrew-Nathan-Arroyo-Towles-BJRyan-Oswalt (9)
    Kevin >>

I have the following panel, L to R:

Teixeria, Smoltz, Fence Busters (Joneses)

Ok, I fixed the rest, thanks! I guess I was considering a complete set as having every card on at least one panel, not all possible
    panels, which would be a heck of a set! For me one of each is fine, even though I will probably not be able to complete this set.
    I guess If it was cheap to acquire all the players it migh be fun to hack them all up and put them in a binder. You have to wonder
    what happens to the end card when the panel starts with say the #2 card on the string. None the less another heritage mystery
    laid to rest. Let the retail hunt begin!

Kevin
  • I guess I don't know whats going on here..... Bought 2 Boxes....

Top Loaders...
    Joe Koshansky/Adrian Gonzales/Chase Utley
    Victor Martinez/C C Sabathia/Carlos Delgado

Chrome:

David Wright 248/1959
    Ryan Braun 332/1959
    Tim Hudson 329/1959
    Ryan Braun 265/1959
    Eric Byrnes 464/1959
    Chris Young 346/1959

Josh Beckett 539/559
    Jason Isringhausen 176/559

Clubhouse Collection

Torii hunter/cc/TKH
    Hank Blalock/cc/HB

Both game used jerseys

Got no ink....no stadium/relic cards

Black Backs:

3 Eric Byrnes (2)
    7 Joey Gathright (2)
    12 Curt Schilling (2)
    21 Troy Tulowitski (2)
    24 Felix Hernandez (2)
    28 Ivan Rodriguez
    34 Pitchers Beware
    40 Tim Hudson (2)
    41 Kelvim Escobar (2)
    52 Omar Vizquel (2)
    67 Rich Hill (2)
    92 Phil Hughes (2)
    98 Jon Garland
    155 Johnny Damon (2)
    175 Jeff Weaver (2)
    179 Austin Kearns
    180 Jorge Posada (2)
    210 JJ Putz (2)
    224 David Wright (2)
    225 Pedro Martinez
    262 Hitters Foes
    284 Luis Gonzalez (2)
    301 Ronnie Belliard (2)
    322 Richie Sexson (2)
    333 Kevin Kouzmanoff (2)
    335 Brandon Phillips (2)
    336 Ian Kinsler (2)

Is there anything worthwhile... I am kind of disapointed in the collation of the 2 boxes.

Anyone interested in anything PM me

Kind of disapointed so far.

Let me know

Thanks

John
  • parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Here's my trade lists:

Available to trade:

chrome (#/1959): 100a-rod 94 86 85 69 55 54 44 26

sp: 498 493 490x2 489 488x2 486 484 481x2 479x2 477 474 472 471x2
    470 469 464 461 458 454 453 452 451 450x2 449 448 445x2 443x2
    441 438x2 437 436 434x2 432x2 431x2 430x2 427x2 426 409x2 381 11

Black Refractor: 61 delgado
    Autos: yogi blue ink, johnny o'brien red ink #58/59, freddy sanchez redemption
    CC bat relics: andruw jones, posada ,abreu
    CC jersey relics: Crawford edmonds, pedro, berkman (x2), dunn, smoltz, blalock, zimmerman
    FB stadium relics: banks

Needs:
    Chrome or refractor: 99 98 93 90 80 78 76 75 73 68 67 65 64 60 59
    57 51 50 49 48 45 42 40 38 35 34 32 31 28 25 24 23 22 21 20 10
    18 16 13 12 9 8 7 6

tn4
    fb2
    SP Needs : 463 494

• kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Tonight is sorting night.

Got skunked good today. 1 box, 2 chromes, 0 refractors, 0 GU, 0 Auto. That is a wipeout.

Kurt
    IWTDMBII
  • What are you looking for the Yogi Berra blue ink ??? Grew up watching the 50s-60s Yankees. Yogi was my hero. Let me know

Thanks

John
  • I spent all day working on my master checklist in Works along with sorting.

In my three hobby boxes, the totals are:

23 of the 75 SPs
    65 of the 110 black backs (I noticed I had slightly more black backs than their green counterparts, but it was an astounding amount...it was pretty close actually).
    12 chromes/refractors
    Two Game Used (Hafner Clubhouse and Minoso relic)

I still have to sort through my FB, NAP, TN, and history cards.

• Do we have any sort of set rule on trades as far as how many SP's the following are worth:

Chrome
    Refractor
    Box Topper Panel
    Clubhouse Collection jersey
    Flashback Relic
    Insert cards (TN, FB, NAP, News)
    59 Buybacks
    Redemptions

Some of us guys try to build our SP sets by trading away some of the inserts and chromies we get. Just curious. I don't want to step on anyone's toes.....it seemed to vary last year in trades.
    I would just as soon use becketts formula...common SP's 6 and then stars 8+. Chromes book at 4 a pieces 6 and up for stars. I just
    don't have time to hit ebay for prices, unless I have an auto in the deal and then I will go for a fair price. Remember early prices
    are almost always higher. Once collectors compete their sets, the demand will go down.

Kevin
  • psu92psu92 Posts: 283
    Please correct me if I am wrong. There are 3 variations: Wright- Perez drawing (which may be part of a subset in retail only), Santana - Mets, & Smoltz - incorrect spelling. I was just making sure these are the only 3 variations so far (not including the black backs). If these are the only variations, I will be a little disappointed in this year's Heritage.
  • So far that is all that has been reported by the group.

Craig in Texas
  • Brian,

I am not trying to set the rule but here is just my opinion - maybe more people will weigh in to make this even more accurate:

Chrome = 3 for 2 SP
    Refractor = 2 for 5 SP
    Box Topper Panel = 1 for 2 SP
    Clubhouse Collection jersey 1 for 3 SP
    Flashback Relic = 1 for 4 SP
    Insert cards (TN, FB, NAP, News) = 3 for 1 SP
    59 Buybacks = 1 for 2 SP
    Redemptions = it would depend on the redemption

<< <i>Do we have any sort of set rule on trades as far as how many SP's the following are worth:

Chrome
    Refractor
    Box Topper Panel
    Clubhouse Collection jersey
    Flashback Relic
    Insert cards (TN, FB, NAP, News)
    59 Buybacks
    Redemptions

Some of us guys try to build our SP sets by trading away some of the inserts and chromies we get. Just curious. I don't want to step on anyone's toes.....it seemed to vary last year in trades. >>

This is getting worse as I sort. 21 boxes opened and I only have 1 #225 Pedro Martinez green back, but I have 4 of the black back version.
  • I have sorted through 2.5 cases and have found that the green back version of a black back card is more limited. In my cases, the impact of the black back cards have resulted in 3 classes of short prints in order of difficulty: (1) Standard SP (75 cards); (2) Green back version of Black back (110); and (3) Black back (110).
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    This guy had some nice luck. I messaged him about the two Smoltzes that he has up, asking him whether he had made a listing mistake or did he really have two of them - he replied that he pulled two from the same pack. Then I noticed that he has three Santanas up, too. Hmm....
  • rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭
    After 7 boxes, I have a pile of about 15-20 cards that have a corner that isn't quite dinged, but it looks more like the blade ripped away from the corner just before the cutting was finished. And guess, what, they are ALL, I repeat, ALL, green backs that have a black counterpart.

Anyone else notice this ??
  • I have also noticed that. I put aside around 100 cards to send back to Topps for replacement. The only black back cards that are in there have a "crimp" at the bottom from the pack being sealed. However, there are approximately 30% of the green back version that had a corner or edge lifted during the cutting or sorting process.
  • fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    One of my box toppers had a ding in it right out of the box. Can I send this back?
  • I've been lucky, so far out of 8 boxes I have only had two black backs that got caught in the crimper. Nowhere near the # of screwed up cards I pulled last year....but it's still early.
    I had quite a few of the FB's suffer crimper damage, I also have a box of the dreaded O/C disease, luckly it didn't effect
    the SP. I wonder how many of the real one cards topps prints up to get 200 nice onces...I've never seen a real one
    that was really O/C.

I hope that a lot of you will be getting cases today! I'm hoping to get some more today, but that might not happen.

Kevin
  • Does anybody here have a source for retail cases? My source from prior years does not have any coming in this year.
  • Packman, your source must have been lockwood, I'm at a loss for another source as well.
  • Retail should be very available at this point. There most certainly is a reason why it's being held back.
    Whoever said we wash away with the rain ?

• << <i>Packman, your source must have been lockwood, I'm at a loss for another source as well. >>

Join the club, for the last two years Jack has been great price and service wise.
  • Yes. It was lockwood.
  • I think with retail being late it has affected sales of singles and lots on ebay. My initial offerings closed last night with weak results. I order two cases early and right off the bat I'm usually able to pay for one of them with sales of dupes. The refractors , auto's and GU are way down for such an early point.
    I have a third case on the way but am considering holding off from selling singles until retail hits.

What do you guys think?
    Wouldn't the lack of additional retail cases make the hobby cards worth more? I do think that people are fed up with the lack of
    big hits on the autograph checklist, even though you couldn't tell that by the pulls here..plenty of nice cards.

Early on I heard a rumor from the topps board that production was cut back this year. That might have something to do with it as
    retail was plentiful last year as was hobby. Normally retail does come out the week or so after hobby releases. You can tell by
    what new is coming in at wal mart and topps how close it is. I haven't been to target yet today, but it looks like they are still
    on the regular topps release. My wal mart got in 4 huge boxes and it was mostly stuff that came out a few weeks ago.

Could it be that topps got rid of the dealer retail? Might we only see blaster boxes and a few 24 count boxes this year? I always
    thought topps as a company that will make it and make more of it if it sells, which retail heritage always does. The autos and
    black refs are pulling easier this year, so it looks like numbers were cut. Those green backs with the black variation could prove
    to be a tough set to get!

Kevin
  • I agree. I have delayed selling my extras for the same reason. Instead, I have been picking up some refractors and autos for a discount from prior years. I think many are waiting for retail to see what they need to buy from eBay to fill the gaps. After retail hits the shelves, I think prices will go up. In addition, I think the retail product will produce several variations. I am going to pay close attention to the "traded" cards (card in new uniform) in the hobby version (e.g., Owens, Carbrera). I think the trade line variation from 1959 Topps will show up there.

• kevin,

I don't know. A lot of guys buy some retail from the major outlets and then go to ebay to fill in.

I also read that production was cut this year, the hobby product didn't sell out last year. Maybe retail will hit when Hobby sells out ?

It will be interesting to see if you're right about the dealer retail, makes sense.

• << <i>If these are the only variations, I will be a little disappointed in this year's Heritage. >>

Disappointed that there are not MORE variations? image Wow. I'd think 110 black backs, 110 semi-SP green backs, in addition tot he 75 SPs and 3 variations would be enough image
  • Dave,

I feel very strongly that there will be many Retail Only variations. I can't wait.