Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Official 2008 TOPPS HERITAGE Thread

Comments

• Options
    1000!!!
  • Options
    tillertiller Posts: 149 ✭✭
    Still waiting to hear from LR cards. nothing yet. Anyone hear from him? Dave.
  • Options
    Hopefully I'll have 6 boxes showing up today, but I have the flu so the ripping may be a little slow going. I think we will start to see retail later this week, there was a retail listed on ebay earlier today but the guy wanted $600 which is really high. I will miss the blaster cases from Jack, those things were a steal. I think he just didn't order any this year because he got stuck with so much product last year.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    WOW, I just contacted my guy from topps and he said that the Perez variations (Wright and Santana) are WAL MART
    exclusives. Looks like they aren't that rare afterall!

No news yet on Smoltz

Kevin
  • Options

<< <i>WOW, I just contacted my guy from topps and he said that the Perez variations (Wright and Santana) are WAL MART

No news yet on Smoltz

Kevin >>

Whoo hoo!!!!
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WOW, I just contacted my guy from topps and he said that the Perez variations (Wright and Santana) are WAL MART

No news yet on Smoltz

Kevin >>

I dont think Santana as a Met is Wal Mart only because it's number is 201 just like the regular issue, whereas the Wright has sort of an insert number to it instead of #224 like the regular Wright issue.
  • Options
    I think he meant that Santana will have a Perez drawing like Wright.
  • Options
    Well the mailman just showed up, 3 boxes to rip (hopefully the others will be here tomorrow). Highlights to follow.
  • Options
    yes I think that is what Clay was trying to tell me. There is a walmart exclusive set which I beleive will all look like the 59
    set but will have numbers 1-10 and whatever prefix there is.

The Smoltz variation and the Santana Mets variation are in ALL packs. He told me that the Smoltz is VERY rare.

Kevin
  • Options
    Box 1
    Buyback=scrub
    Ad Panel= 1
    Ink= Johnny O'brien blue ink
    Relic= 0
    Chrome=2
    Refractor=1
    FB=3
    TN=2
    NAP=2
    SP=8
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    He would of done better money wise had he left off the back, those obviously look like some walmart subset. I love the set
    and will add them to my master set. I wonder if they will be box toppers like topps have had in the past, or actual cards inserted
    into packs. Is it a bit disappointing that some sellers are offering these as super rare cards, why it looks like they will be common.

Thanks for the info
    Kevin
  • Options
    psu92psu92 Posts: 283

<< <i>

<< <i>If these are the only variations, I will be a little disappointed in this year's Heritage. >>

Disappointed that there are not MORE variations? image Wow. I'd think 110 black backs, 110 semi-SP green backs, in addition tot he 75 SPs and 3 variations would be enough image >>

What I mean is that in the past there have always been about 20 cards that were variations, like the one year you had the night backgrounds, players in different poses, and last year - team and player names in yellow. Those 20 card variations is what made Heritage special (at least in my opinion).

The black backs are ok, but I really enjoyed the 20 card variations.
  • Options
    Box 2
    Buyback=scrub
    Ad Panel= 1
    Ink= 0
    Relic= I. Rodriguez bat
    Chrome=3
    Refractor=0
    FB=4
    TN=2
    NAP=2
    SP=8
  • Options
    PSU92...I know what you mean, the black back variations are a bit boring, but I guess topps went with something that would more
    closely mirror the 59 set.

Kevin
  • Options
    To mirror the 1959 set, the only other option for variations would be the traded or optioned cards, wouldn't it? DId the '59 set have any variations that I might not be thinking of?
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Kevin for the info.

Well, if ebay is any indication - there have been 8 santana mets sold, and 5 available now. There have been 2 smoltz sold and 4 available now (I just hit a buy-it-now for $47). Probably too small a sample size to really know.
  • Options
    I hope that there will be more of these floating around after the retail packs hit the streets, at least so the price drops a few bucks. Or I find someone who is interested in trading for a relic or two. ;-)
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    The only other 1959 variation was for card #40:

40a Warren Spahn (Born 1931) -- Milwaukee Braves
    40b Warren Spahn (Born 1931, "3" partially obscured) -- Milwaukee Braves
    40c Warren Spahn (Born 1921) -- Milwaukee Braves

Card 40 in '08 Heritage is Tim Hudson, also a Brave. We could see a variation available there.

Geordie

• Options
    Box 3
    Buyback=0
    Ad Panel= 1
    Ink= 0
    Relic= G. Anderson Jersey, Verlander Jersey
    Chrome=3
    Refractor=0
    FB=4
    TN=2
    NAP=1
    SP=7
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Without searching through all 50 pages, can someone direct me towards the checklist of sp's, variations & inserts?

Thanks.
    Travis
  • Options

<< <i>What I mean is that in the past there have always been about 20 cards that were variations, like the one year you had the night backgrounds, players in different poses, and last year - team and player names in yellow. Those 20 card variations is what made Heritage special (at least in my opinion).

The black backs are ok, but I really enjoyed the 20 card variations. >>

You and I are on the same page. I would trade the black backs in a second for some kind of variation on the front of the card. It seems like they could have done logo variations again (like the 2003 set) or different colored borders or something. I much prefer the variation to be visible on the front of the card than the back.
  • Options
    bjbrall4bjbrall4 Posts: 277 ✭✭
    It might be simpler to go to the Topps website for the short prints and black back. I don't know if there is a formal list of variations.
  • Options
    For seven years I thought I was the only crazy person out there collecting Heritage and viewing the release date as a sort of "second Christmas". It's nice to know there are more of you out there. For the last few years I have bought two hobby cases per year, but this year the IRS has decided it knows better than I how to spend my money, so no go.

I don't know the protocol for introducing topics, so forgive me:

a) Aren't there four variations? Smoltz, Santana, Wright, and Encarnacion (Edwin on Juan's card).
    b) I bought the four retail boxes that were listed on eBay (take that, IRS) which caused some confusion among members - were they Topps Series I or Heritage? The seller assures me that they are Heritage; we'll see.
    c) I see that many people are trying to complete previous year's sets. I have four monster boxes of mostly commons but also some inserts and sp's from 2001 on. Since the IRS wants my money by April 15, I'd rather sell than trade, but, again, I don't know the protocol. Is it considered rude to say I want to sell, not trade? I have sold on eBay before, as bjbrall4, and have some 2008 Topps currently up for auction.

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Without searching through all 50 pages, can someone direct me towards the checklist of sp's, variations & inserts?

Thanks. >>

Link to Topps site - pay no attention to the colored lines - nobody knows what they're for.
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It might be simpler to go to the Topps website for the short prints and black back. I don't know if there is a formal list of variations. >>

I'd be willing to bet that someone on this site has put one together. If there's one thing that you can tell by "The Official 2008 TOPPS HERITAGE thread" being started back in July, it's that there are some Heritage freaks here. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I'd probably be one too if my wife wouldn't pay so much attention to me. image
    Travis
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Sorry if I missed it, but did somebody find or post the Auto groupings and their odds?
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    Bob,

Welcome to the PSA board. Regarding your questions, there are 2 known variations (Santana and Smoltz). The Wright (Perez drawing) is actually part of a retail subset for Heritage. The Encarnacion is currently an uncorrected "error". However, it may get corrected in retail.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be willing to bet that someone on this site has put one together. If there's one thing that you can tell by "The Official 2008 TOPPS HERITAGE thread" being started back in July, it's that there are some Heritage freaks here. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I'd probably be one too if my wife wouldn't pay so much attention to me.

Travis, can you tell your wife to keep her hands off until you start an official royals 08 thread on sports talk? image
    I'm interested in how you think this year will shape up.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    You might try GCX for retail. I bought from them 2 years ago then got on the Lockwood bandwagon. Steve (GCX) usually has some older Heritage in stock too.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    through 9 boxes ripped so far, I only need 8 SPs and 1 regular card and the Santana (Mets) to complete the master set

any chance I can get it done with the last 3 boxes?

I saw one guy came up 1 SP short after a case. Has anyone completed it with a case?

• Options
    rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>yes I think that is what Clay was trying to tell me. There is a walmart exclusive set which I beleive will all look like the 59
    set but will have numbers 1-10 and whatever prefix there is.

The Smoltz variation and the Santana Mets variation are in ALL packs. He told me that the Smoltz is VERY rare. >>

I should count my blessings. In my first 4 boxes, I got one of each. image

bjbrall,

Nice to finally meet the man that has outbid me on dozens upon dozens of Heritage auctions on eBay. Your Heritage collection is impressive.

Ian
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    My box just got here!!!!!
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Hi my name is Dave & I'm a Heritage freak. image

<< <i>I saw one guy came up 1 SP short after a case. Has anyone completed it with a case? >>

I'm 11 Sp's, 1 blackback, & 4 inserts short after 1 case.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options

<< <i>My box just got here!!!!! >>

get rippin!! Good Luck
  • Options
    The monster boxes are what's left after sets, chrome sets, and refractor sets. I need to get a life; it would be cheaper.
  • Options
    Zep, you are definitely closer than me. After 11 boxes I still need 5 semi-sp, 20sps, 14 black backs, 4 NAP, 3 FB
  • Options
    CubsFan41CubsFan41 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    Just got my two cases for LR. Let the rip begin.

Box 1
    Panel: capps, young, haren
    Buyback: 0
    Ink: 0
    Relic: Zimmerman
    Chrome: 3
    REfr: 1 Ben Sheets
    tn: 1
    nap: 2
    fbn : 2
    fb: 2
    sp's: 8

Box 2
    Panel: Lofton bb thrills, cust, harang
    BB: 0
    Relic: M Cabrera
    REFR: 0
    TN: 1
    Nap: 2
    FBN: 1
    FB: 2
    SP: 7

Consecutive boxes with no ink: 22 dating back to 2007
    Looking for Cello packs with Bill Buckner on top
  • Options
    I'm not going to go into great detail about what I pulled as far as the SPs go because i just finished, and I don't feel like sorting them as of right now. No major pulls, but it was definitely fun to open my first box EVER of heritage! I pulled 2 chromes (Zito and D. Lee) and 1 refractor of Joe Mauer. I did pretty good with the inserts and pulled 3 news flashbacks, 1 flashback of Brooks Robinson, 2 new age performers and one then and now. My only problem is the amount of doubles I pulled. The collation was really bad, especially when it came to the Rays cards. I did very good with the Braves cards though. No ink, but I beat the odds with the game used cards! I pulled a Dmitri Young and a Roy Oswalt and the Oswalt has a pinstripe going right down the middle of it. I haven't opened my Panel or my buyback because I'm going to wait for my dad to get home, since I already feel bad that I didn't open the box with him to begin with.

I'm willing to trade ALMOST all of it (except for some I want to try to get signed, etc.) . As far as trading goes, my priorities are: 1) Braves and Rays game used, 2) Braves +Rays Chromes/refractors and then obviously base cards.

I also forgot about the gum in every pack!
  • Options
    nice box Goot - 2 GU and a buyback - good luck when you open it
    Funny you would say that about the colation though. I was 4 or 5 packs into box 3 before I saw my first double.

Getting ready to hit box 10 in a few minutes
  • Options
    cubsfan you ripping both cases tonight?

I'd be willing to bet your no ink streak is about to stop. good luck
  • Options
    cubsfans..lets see some scans!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bj.....Did you ever collect the autos sets?

Kevin
  • Options
    mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    I received my case from LR cards today as well.

Box 1:
    buyback: Russ Heman
    relic: CC Chavez
    chrome: 5 (the Ethiers are 972 and 973)
    NF: 2
    TN: 2
    NAP: 0

• Options
    I'm going to see where I'm at after the first one before I crack the 2nd. Hope the streak ends soon. Pulled a red ink ernie banks in 2006, nothing since.

Box 3
    Panel: W. rod, pena, b. jones
    Relic: Tejada
    REFR: 0
    FBN: 2
    FB: 1
    sp: 10

Box4
    Panel: Bannister, man ram, r. johnson
    Relic: Edmonds
    REFR: 1 J. Rollins
    FBN: 2
    sps: 8

Consecutive boxes with no ink dating back to 2007: 24
  • Options
    cubs ....there is no way you can keep that streak alive tonight..sorry, you will pull ink!

Kevin
  • Options
    parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Welcome, Bjbrall. Glad to see you here. Follow the link on my sig line for an excel spreadsheet with all the heritage info.
  • Options
    Here's a few scans

• Options
    mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    Box 2: (Goot I think we need to work a trade)

Black refractor: Kemp
    chrome: 3
    refractor: Smoltz
    relic: Crawford
    TN: 3
    NAP: 1
    FB: 1
    NFB: 2

• Options
    Nice pulls guys.
    Cubs, I don't think that streak will last the night, and hopefully you'll end it in a big way.
    Goot & bjbrall4 welcome to the addiction!
  • Options

<< <i>Box 2: (Goot I think we need to work a trade)

refractor: Smoltz
    relic: Crawford >>

Oh yeah we do! image