Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The Official 2008 TOPPS HERITAGE Thread

Comments

• "Clubhouse Collection
    OC AD BA BG BM CBe CBi CC CD JD JV LA LB MiM MM PM RZ TrH"

Geordie,

I have CC LB (Berkman) with a nice jersey stripe in it that I can set aside if you want. I'm not very close to finishing sorting (or even opening actually), but my guess is that I'm going to need some SPs, or an equivalent CC trade, chromes, etc. Just let me know.
    Eric
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    WOW, some NICE pulls guys...keep em coming.

Kevin
  • parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    Ok, just finished ripping the rest of my LRcards case. So thats 16 boxes total now down. Time to sort - i'll have totals tomorrow for those interested. I am believing there are only low-quality scrubs in the buy backs, and also the advertising panels don't seem to have any stars. Got 9 buybacks in 16 boxes.

In my LRcards case, I found that 8 of the 12 boxes were full of packs of only 7 cards - that means I got shorted the exact quivalent of a full box (24 packs). All of the shortage was in the black backs, so i'll be missing probably many of those. i will write to topps however for some love.

I probably got 70 chromes with ~15 of them being refractors. And about 13-14 relics (all available for trade).

Anyhow, on with the big pulls - no smoltz or johann unfortunately but I am happy with these (and all autos / blacks are available):

• Jim, is that Ichiro a refractor? If so, I'm interested...
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    I'd be interested in the Dice-K refractor.

just finished my 4th box before I head off to the sack:

not bad with 2 relics

• SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    This is a dumb question but whats the difference between a chrome and a refractor?

"Molon Labe"

• parkerjparkerj Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭
    all those chromes posted above are refractors. I am typically keeping the refractors to complete my mixed-chrome set, but I think I pulled another ichiro chrome, so if i did we can probably work something out.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is a dumb question but whats the difference between a chrome and a refractor? >>

Thanks for asking that! I was wondering the same thing image
  • The chromes have a white border and are # to 1959, the refractors have a holographic style border and are # to 559.
    Thanks Doran! This Heritage is new to me, I bought a box and a few singles off the Bay for a change of pace from the Vintage. If I can ask a "Dumb" question or two myself here..

I read about you guys buying a case and a lot of boxes, I know the boxes go for $60 + whats the deal? Wouldnt it be cheaper to buy a set already made up on ebay? It seems it would take a ton of cash to put this thing together, not to mention it seems like an auto is very tough to come buy and the resale on them dont seem worth the money spent?
  • Paul, yes it would definitely be cheaper to buy, but what's the fun in that. Think of it like this, if you could by a vintage set for $X, but for a little more you could buy enough unopened vintage product to guarantee you would complete a set plus adding the thrill of the chase, which would you do? Plus the trading gets pretty hot and heavy in the heritage group which always adds another element of fun.
    I see your point, Man Ill tell you my luck is just awful with pulls! I bought a box of 07 and got NOTHING! My 08 box yielded a Richie Sexson jersey card and 3 chromes- 2 Matt Cains and a Brian Bannister image I do enjoy living vicariously through you guys with the nice pulls!

I might buy another box, it is fun-something I havnt done since the mid 80's
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"Clubhouse Collection
    OC AD BA BG BM CBe CBi CC CD JD JV LA LB MiM MM PM RZ TrH"

Geordie,

I have CC LB (Berkman) with a nice jersey stripe in it that I can set aside if you want. I'm not very close to finishing sorting (or even opening actually), but my guess is that I'm going to need some SPs, or an equivalent CC trade, chromes, etc. Just let me know.
    Eric >>

Eric - PM sent

Here's a neat card I found on the Bay. Not mine, but wish it was. Still not as cool as that dual Snider that Kurt pulled last year, though.

No one is going to get rich busting heritage! It is fun, and hopefully at a good price. I have a dealer trying to tell me that 72 is a good
    price on a box. it isn't.

Have fun, look at the cards, read the backs. If you pull a Joba Red Auto, go out and buy a lottery ticket!

For me, the stories and the on line rips are the best part. One day my sons and I will open this stuff together...I can't wait!

Kevin
  • Paul it is a lot of fun, I went a little overboard on it last year which was the first year in a lot of years that I had opened anything. Last year the heritage got me started on vintage and shortly after I finished my heritage set I finished a 1958 set as well, guess I need to start on a 1959 set now.
  • I just opened 7 box's and am 20 short prints, and 8 insert cards away from a master set. I still have a case from Lrcards coming on Monday or Tuesday. This is pretty good seeding by Topps. The bad thing was NO ink or excitement at all out of those 7 box's. I got all 110 of the black backs plus a bunch of doubles. Only 1 triple. Pretty good. I am disapointed in the short print checklist. They are missing so many big name short prints this year. No Jeter, AROD, Pujols??? What was Topps thinking. I hope this doesnt drive the price of the set down. The Chrome is looking pretty good. 22 different out of 7 box's. Plus I got Chamber, Arod, Pujols, Jones, Ming-Wang. Got a Manny & Chipper refer... They look Sweeeeeet....
  • Well guys, I just finished opening my case - not a single stroke of ink in the entire thing, and two boxes without even a relic. Somewhat disappointing - best cards are a Mantle seat relic, and an Arod refractor. Nothing to really write home about...
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Kevin - I brought my other ad panels home from work. Here's the entire rundown on what I pulled:

brett myers/lofton baseball thrills/jack cust
    barry zito/dimitri young/yovanni gallardo
    young-zimmerman/barry zito/dmitri young
    craig monroe/aramis ramirez/lastings milledge
    carlos guillen/david weathers/eric chavez
    mariano rivera/brandon webb/matt cain
    jason kendall/chicago cubs/tadahito iguchi
    zach duke/todd helton/kelly johnson
    j.j. hardy/alex rios/johan santana (mets! NOT)
    andy phillips/manny baseball thrills/matt kemp
    armando galarraga rc/wandy rodriguez/wily mo pena
    wandy rodriguez/wily mo pena/brandon jones rc

Geordie..thanks for the panel info. That dual seat is sick...also Brook's jersey number!

Kevin
  • mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    Here's a slightly better than common buyback that's on ebay now

The condition is still terrible though
  • mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    And now a hall of famer too. There might be hope yet for some big pulls from the buybacks:

• I see that Topps has confirmed the SPs and black backs. Has Topps confirmed any variations yet? (.i.e. like last year when team's and player's names were in yellow)
    Here's the link for official Topps announcement - SPs and Black Backs

just ripped box # 5 - nothing great - Hank Blalock jersey
    3 chrome, no refract.

hsven't been keeping track of the SPs

still getting a black back in every pack. only one that didn't have one so far was the one with the redemption in it
  • Could anyone direct me to the best place and price to buy a case? It will probably take some time for me to get refunded but if I ever do, I want to be able to buy from a REPUTABLE dealer at a fair price. Please let me know -- thanks!!

Craig in Texas

• << <i>Here's the link for official Topps announcement - SPs and Black Backs

3 chrome, no refract.

still getting a black back in every pack. only one that didn't have one so far was the one with the redemption in it >>

Zep33,

You misread my question. I already know about the SPs and black backs. My question is has Topps confirmed any other variations yet?
  • magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Rippage has commenced.....
    Box 7:
    ad panel:1
    buyback:1 (of the 4 buybacks I've been able to read #'s thru wrapper, all scrubs)
    CC relic:Smoltz
    chromes:3
    refractr:0
    TN:2
    NAP:2
    BF:2
    NF:2
    SP:9

Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • PSU,
    I don't think Topps has confirmed ANY variations just yet. They probably won't say anything for about a month, so we'll keep buying.

BTW, has anyone seen any retail Heritage yet, apart from the boxes on eBay?
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • I looked yesterday and didn't find any retail, I think it usually comes out about a week after hobby so I would think we would start seeing it by middle-end of next week.
  • tillertiller Posts: 149 ✭✭
    Opened box #2 last nite. Nothing to bragg about.
    8 shortprints
    3 THC
    0 Ref.
    1 buy back common
    1 panel
    1 CC Zimmerman jersey
    2 T&N
    2 FBN
    2 FBB
    2 NAP
    Thats about it. I have 2 more boxes coming from LR cards. Got email says ship mon. Looking forward to it.. DAve
    Box 8: much better than 7
    buyback:0
    CCrelic:1
    refractorimageujols!
    SP:8

Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Wow! Dave and Adams card world has them for $830 a case! I think I'll just wait for retail since there is not much difference between retail and hobby (except price!). Especially since all of the buybacks that are hobby only, stamped, and pretty much commons for the most part. But if anyone sees a good case deal from a reputable dealer, please let me know!!!

Craig in Texas
  • ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    SPs and Black Backs

Why does Topps have five of the cards highlighted?
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection

• << <i>SPs and Black Backs

Why does Topps have five of the cards highlighted? >>

My local shop had that list printed out last night and the owner did not know either. I thought maybe it had something to do with guys who were traded/signed with a different team ?

<< <i>

<< <i>Here's the link for official Topps announcement - SPs and Black Backs

3 chrome, no refract.

still getting a black back in every pack. only one that didn't have one so far was the one with the redemption in it >>

Zep33,

You misread my question. I already know about the SPs and black backs. My question is has Topps confirmed any other variations yet? >>

no offense, but i wasn't answering a question - just posting the link to the list image
    Box 9: 23 packs, I always save a full one
    Ad panel:1
    buyback:1
    CC relic:1
    refractor:1
    TN:1
    NAP:1
    BF:1
    SP:9

Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
  • Has anyone sorted their black backs and compared them to the "official" checklist Topps has published? I'm wondering because I just finished sorting my black backs, and while I have what appears to be two full sets and another 50-70 "triples" out of my case, I seem to be missing 8 cards from the Topps checklist, and the same 8. Anyone else seeing this phenomenon? Are there some SP black backs, or did my case just have poor collation? Any help/insight is appreciated, thanks.
    Magellen

NICE PULLS, your refractors are kicking butt!

Kevin
  • Jason I checked my two runs of black backs.. I have all those listed on the Topps list [poorly sorted] and Geordie's list which are the same. I have all listed in my first run and am short these 2 18 40 135 322 for the second set.... [I have them inbound]
    Post or PM which ones do you need and I'll see if I have them available for you...
    Hope this helps...Regards,

Charlie G

<< <i>Has anyone sorted their black backs and compared them to the "official" checklist Topps has published? I'm wondering because I just finished sorting my black backs, and while I have what appears to be two full sets and another 50-70 "triples" out of my case, I seem to be missing 8 cards from the Topps checklist, and the same 8. Anyone else seeing this phenomenon? Are there some SP black backs, or did my case just have poor collation? Any help/insight is appreciated, thanks. >>

Kevin , thanks the refractors have been great.

Box 10: no ink yet though!
    buyback:1 Eddie Yost , I can see it
    Chrome:2
    refractors:2
    NF:1
    SP:7

Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    I don't see my last post on box 10........yet the thread says I posted at 11:40.

Edited to add, it took until now for it to show up.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Box 6

another ink/relic redemption image
    only 2 chromes
  • Ooooh, is that Hernandez a refractor?
    No , it's a regular chrome Jason.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox

• << <i>No , it's a regular chrome Jason. >>

Doesn't make it any less of a beauty - All hail King Felix! (Says the hopeful Mariner fan 17 minutes before single game tickets go on sale...)
    Box 11: Getting near the end and ink !
    buyback:0
    CC relic auto: Aparicio 14/25
    chrome:3
    NAP:1

Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox

• << <i>My case arrived at 6pm tonight UPS.24 hr turnaround from purchase to delivery from Iowa to Michigan.Let the party begin!!!!! >>

Where in Michigan are you and who did you buy from?

I'm in Oxford and still waiting on my cards.

Tim
  • Magellan that is some great ink with odds of 1:6825 I think you did real good. If you aren't doing the refractor set I would be interested in working out a trade for the pujols once I get my boxes in and sorted next week.
    Final box of the case: ttttthat's all fffolks
    buyback:1 Don Buddin
    chrome:3

Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Doran, Thanks the Aparicio auto really made it a nice case. I got a nice BRobby auto relic #ed to 25 in the 2006 Heritage.

I am doing a combined chrome/refractor set like I have the last 2 years. I would trade the Pujols refractor for his chrome plus other chrome or SP needs.

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox