Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>LOL Jason you are unreal my friend. Who the hell just keeps THREE Yale Lary RC's in PSA 8 laying around? What else you got laying around? >>

Some in my ebay store:

JasP24's PSA Graded Football

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    I just listed a bunch of HOF Rookies for sale on the Buy and Sell Board.

Thought I would throw a couple scans of some of a couple of Toughies

Bulldog Turner Elroy Hirsch Lou CreekmurSteve Van Buren
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anyone have an opinion on whether Kurt Warner will garner HOF consideration? I was watching last night wondering. He may still have a few solid years ahead of him. I believe he is currently 37 and in the top 5 of MVP candidates this year. What do ya'll think? >>

My opinion..If he wins a 3rd MVP or takes the Cards to a Super Bowl, he will move VERY very high on the future HOF list, and will be a strong 80%+ chance candidate...If neither of those happens, and this year just turns out to be a good Pro Bowl year for him, he will still need another 1-2 of those solid Pro Bowl type years to move up the list into being a strong contender.

His bad years were really bad and he got off to a late start, so not sure how many more years he has left in the tank. Certainly he returned to his former greatness last season and has continued his strong play this year. Those 5 terrible years vs. his 5 great years (including this one) would not get him in if he retired today...But like I said, an MVP or even MAKE the Super Bowl with the Cards...You can start engraving the bust...

Didn't a couple of guys here have a Seahawks vs. Cardinals bet in the pre-season? How's that working out???lol

Jason >>

Yeah, Joe....how is that bet working out? Of course, now that I open my mouth, the Cards will put up a clunker in Seattle this weekend. Went to the game last night in Glendale, all I can say is WOW!!! It was a great game in person, can't wait to watch the tivo of the ESPN broadcast and see how bad the officiating really was.

Jasen
  • Options

<< <i>
    Yeah, Joe....how is that bet working out? Jasen >>

Not so good Jasen, but dont you think you PM'ing me every 2 or 3 minutes during games is enough, or mailing me ripped up seahawk cards and mascots, or emailing me nude photos of yourself wearing only a Cardinals helmet?!?

Let it go man, let it go..... image

Im actually beginning to wonder how James Madison will look in a Larry Fitzgerald jersey in a month or so.

joe
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for forwarding me those photos joe. That was jasen? If he wins you should also include a order for extenz male enhancement.
    Looking at the photo you might not think of cardinal...more like a chickadee. lol

Nice cards dan. Wish I could afford the creekmur.

Curt warner's carear is similar to roger maris. 2 great mvp years and a good player for at least half of it...yet no HOF. Manmy feel he is HOF worthy..but IMO a hof'er is someone who exceeded most or all of their carear. Another mvp and few more pro bowls then he has to be a candidate for sure.

In this mornings local paper there is an article about big and now illegal hits. Big pic of Bednarik standing over Gifford taunting him. Gifford was out a year and has no 1961 card. He still refuses to sign that photo.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭✭
    If Warner can continue to play at the high level he's at this year for the rest of the season, and do the same next year, then I say he is a very viable HOF candidate. His dominant years have been more dominant than the best years for most quarterbacks who are already in Canton.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In this mornings local paper there is an article about big and now illegal hits. Big pic of Bednarik standing over Gifford taunting him. Gifford was out a year and has no 1961 card. He still refuses to sign that photo. >>

I've actually spoken to Chuck about that picture (I have quite a few signed with various inscriptions including the famous profane one -- unedited). He said when the picture was taken, he wasn't even aware that Gifford was hurt. He just knew he made a solid hit and was pumping himself up muttering to himself the famous line, "This f.....g game is over!" Seconds later, he realized the extent of the hit and in another photo you can see him checking to see if Gifford is alright.

The Hit:

The Pump:

The Concern:

The Result:

Gifford still is reluctant to talk about the play.
  • Options
    Just got this one in, will probably slow me down for a bit on picking up others, but had to have it:

• Options
    Great pickup Zeeck! That's a card that should be in every serious collection.

I still remember buying the complete '76 Topps set for $60 when I was 10 or so. Got it at a flea market. The Payton graded an 8, years later of course.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Nice card!!

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>In this mornings local paper there is an article about big and now illegal hits. Big pic of Bednarik standing over Gifford taunting him. Gifford was out a year and has no 1961 card. He still refuses to sign that photo. >>

I've actually spoken to Chuck about that picture (I have quite a few signed with various inscriptions including the famous profane one -- unedited). He said when the picture was taken, he wasn't even aware that Gifford was hurt. He just knew he made a solid hit and was pumping himself up muttering to himself the famous line, "This f.....g game is over!" Seconds later, he realized the extent of the hit and in another photo you can see him checking to see if Gifford is alright.

The Hit:

The Pump:

The Concern:

The Result:

Gifford still is reluctant to talk about the play. >>

Bednarik just did a private signing at Sports Card Heroes and I had him sign that picture with the famous inscription at the top.... I absolutely LOVE it.

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    I just got the email to approve the new Sr. candidates. Did everyone else?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Yep sure did..Need to go add those cards to my set...

Torry Holt to the WR set should come down within the next week or so as well..

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    To all the people who were talking about Devin Hester prematurely for the HOF...he was demoted off of kick return duties last week. FYI, he still has a ways to go!
  • Options
    Yeah, Same thing with Dante Hall a few years ago.....It takes a high level of play for an extended period of time for HOF considereration.

Speaking of the HOF, I am trying to get a weekend cleared to make a 2 day trip to the HOF......It is only about a 4 hour drive for me. Or............ should I wait until the summer? I plan on going to the national in cleveland next year and may try to work it in my schedule then. (unless it's HOF weekend)

How many of you have made a visit to the HOF?

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Dave,

I have visited the HOF only once probably 10 years ago and it was terrific. Anyone who is a football fan will surely enjoy it. I'd love to go again and have already told my wife to plan on a trip to Canton when Favre is inducted.

Doc
  • Options
    I went once about 25 years ago when I was a kid. As a '80s-'90s 49er fan, I will be taking my son to the Hall for Rice's induction. Anyone else here notice the potential irony if the Tenn. Titans are handed their first loss this week by the Jets (formerly the N.Y. Titans)? I put $50 on the Jets this week to win AFC at 9:1, seems decent odds to me at this point in the season.

Jasen
  • Options
    FYI, all votes are in for the 25 HOF Semi-finalists for the Class of 2009. Should be announced early next week before Thanksgiving.

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>FYI, all votes are in for the 25 HOF Semi-finalists for the Class of 2009. Should be announced early next week before Thanksgiving.

Jason >>

What's your guess for the 25?
  • Options

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    And then there was one.............

Down to my last card needed to get to 100%

I need a 33 SK Thorpe.

My goal was to finish by the end of the year. If not, I'm sure I'll find something in the next few months.

Anyone have a PSA 2,3, or 4 Thorpe??? I have the cash ready and waiting....

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>FYI, all votes are in for the 25 HOF Semi-finalists for the Class of 2009. Should be announced early next week before Thanksgiving.

Jason >>

What's your guess for the 25? >>

Here's my guesses..Set the over/under on 22...lol

Leroy Butler
    Cris Carter
    Terrell Davis
    Dermontti Dawson
    Richard Dent
    Kevin Greene
    Russ Grimm
    Ray Guy
    Charles Haley
    Lester Hayes
    Rickey Jackson
    Joe Jacoby
    Cortez Kennedy
    Bob Kuechenberg
    Randall McDaniel
    John Randle
    Andre Reed
    Shannon Sharpe
    Bruce Smith
    Ken Stabler
    Paul Tagliabue
    Steve Tasker
    Derrick Thomas
    Rod Woodson
    George Young

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And then there was one.............

Down to my last card needed to get to 100%

I need a 33 SK Thorpe.

My goal was to finish by the end of the year. If not, I'm sure I'll find something in the next few months.

Anyone have a PSA 2,3, or 4 Thorpe??? I have the cash ready and waiting....

dave >>

Dave,

Congrats - that is a GREAT accomplishment. I'll let you know if I see a Thorpe..

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    This thread sure has gone downhill lately!!! Several days without posts!! What wrong with you people?

Anyway, I just got this email from the HOF...

The next step in the Pro Football Hall of Fame’s Selection process takes place later today. That’s when we announce the 25 modern-era semifinalists for the Class of 2009. The group has been chosen by our Board of Selectors from the list of 133 preliminary nominees that was released last month. Be sure to check out Profootballhof.com this evening to be the first to find out who are the semifinalists for ’09.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Yep, will be out this afternoon. I'm attempting to get the advanced copy as we speak..If i can get it, I will post.

Jason
  • Options
    Advanced copy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Roger Craig is a surprise..About time..

Cris Carter, WR
    Roger Craig, RB
    Terrell Davis, RB
    Dermontti Dawson, C
    Richard Dent, DE
    Chris Doleman, DE/LB
    Kevin Greene, LB/DE
    Russ Grimm, G
    Ray Guy, Punter
    Charles Haley, DE/LB
    Lester Hayes, CB
    Cortez Kennedy, DT
    Bob Kuechenberg, G
    Randall McDaniel, G
    Art Modell, Owner
    John Randle, DT
    Andre Reed, WR
    Shannon Sharpe, TE
    Bruce Smith, DE
    Ken Stabler, QB
    Paul Tagliabue, Commissioner
    Steve Tasker, ST/WR
    Derrick Thomas, LB
    Ralph Wilson, Owner
    Rod Woodson, CB/S

• Options
    Only got 21 of the 25 in my predictions...image

Missed on Craig, Doleman, Modell and Wilson...Doleman isn't a surprise and Modell and Wilson have been close in the past, but strange to see 3 non players on one semifinal ballot..

Prediction for the 15 Finalists:

Cris Carter, WR
    Dermontti Dawson, C
    Richard Dent, DE
    Russ Grimm, G
    Ray Guy, Punter
    Bob Kuechenberg, G
    Randall McDaniel, G
    John Randle, DT
    Andre Reed, WR
    Shannon Sharpe, TE
    Bruce Smith, DE
    Ken Stabler, QB
    Paul Tagliabue, Commissioner
    Derrick Thomas, LB
    Rod Woodson, CB/S
  • Options
    No Harold Jackson? image
  • Options

<< <i>No Harold Jackson? image >>

Roger Craig or Harold Jackson? I'll take Craig..image

Nice to finally see him get some recognition, although his chances of making it within the next 5 years are slim to none..If he can become a regular on the Semi-final ballot, he might be able to move up the ranks after all the Faulks, Martin, Bettis and TD's get in...

I think he's deserving.

Jason
  • Options
    I'd take Watters over Craig. Craig had his moments, but he really only had 6 good seasons. Watters was top 10 in YFS 8 times compared to Craig's 5.
  • Options
    Cool...Thanks for the pre-announced list!!

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Jason, what were your final picks for this years class?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I'd take Watters over Craig. Craig had his moments, but he really only had 6 good seasons. Watters was top 10 in YFS 8 times compared to Craig's 5. >>

Arguement could definitely be made for Watters, but I think you're looking to much into the stats...Watters was a stat guy (much like Harold Jackson) but wasn't particularly a difference maker for his team. Watters will never shake his alligator arms persona that well, he rightly earned...Rightly or wrongly, some guys are just not well liked, others just never got publicity they deserved..Too many voters vote based on shoddy memories and when the first thing that comes to mind is a negative about the player, they are going to vote for someone else...

If we can just get a computer program written that tells us who is a HOF and who isn't we can take the subjective voting out of the mix...Any programmers in the house??lol..Only problem is that it is the subjective qualities that sometimes make the difference between one guy being a HOF caliber guy and another not being...If a computer is picking Vinny Testaverde would be going in...

Jason
  • Options
    Dave, I think we (on this thread) are the first to know outside of Canton, so it pays to follow this thread..lol

Just talking the modern candidates, as I believe both Claude Humphrey and Bob Hayes will go in as Seniors...I think these 3 are rock solid for 2009, I'd even go as far to say they are guarantees:

Bruce Smith, DE
    Rod Woodson, CB/S
    Cris Carter, WR

After that it gets iffy for the other 2 spots, the choices are:

Bob Kuechenberg, G OR Randall McDaniel, G
    Derrick Thomas, LB OR Richard Dent, DE OR Shannon Sharpe, TE

This is Kuechenberg's last year, and I think he has the juice to finally make it this time, but McDaniel was dominant and could easily become the favorite, it will likely depend on who pushes the Vikings candidates in the HOF meeting this year..The Guy botched it last year and ended up with Monk getting in over Carter which was just wrong....I think one of those two OG's will take the 4th spot though...

Initially I thought Derrick Thomas would likely go this year, but with Humphrey and Bruce Smith, I'm not sure they will put in 3 pass rushers as Thomas is viewed...Same thing with Dent...But, both have been VERY close and either could make it...I also do not think Sharpe is a first ballot guy, but if Thomas and Dent lose votes because of Humphrey and Smith, I think Sharpe is the guy who will pick up those votes.

Long shots---Ray Guy and Paul Tagliabue

And we know how the HOF voters like to pull one underdog over the last few years...Really don't usually start hearing any chatter until the finalists are released..That last month before the vote is when I will start making calls and sending e-mails to any contacts I have and see if there are any rumors about pushes or lack thereof..Of course NO ONE ever knows who is going in until the votes are in and the announcements made...But I did get early word on Tippett getting a big push and also knew Bob Hayes would be selected as the Senior candidate this year..I think I also posted about Art Monk getting his strongest push last year before the vote and that ended up working out for him...So they can be somewhat accurate in determining what goes down in the voting room...As always, I'll post it here exclusively when I hear it..lol

Jason
  • Options
    Jason, there is only 24, they'd only elect Modell while he was alive if they wanted to kill him off.
  • Options

<< <i>Jason, there is only 24, they'd only elect Modell while he was alive if they wanted to kill him off. >>

Yeah, like I said, pretty surprised to see Modell, Wilson AND Tagliabue in the final 25..It's not uncommon for 2 non-players, but I don't rememebr seeing 3 in the same year...Sort of tells me that there are not many players that the majority of voters feel are truly HOF quality. Doesn't bode well for some of the borderline guys down the road..

Jason
  • Options
    I just noticed that in the HOF set it lists Staunter and Creekmur with an and/or for to include the 1950 felts. What's up with that? Did someone here request that?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I just noticed that in the HOF set it lists Staunter and Creekmur with an and/or for to include the 1950 felts. What's up with that? Did someone here request that? >>

Oh boy....man Jason is gonna go OFF. Once you approve one "or" you can't deny the others.....48 Leaf/Bowman, 61 Topps/Fleer, the list goes on and on, and gets worse with the more modern cards. Score/Pro Set Aikman & Sanders anyone?

Jasen
  • Options
    Anybody remember approving that?
  • Options
    Not I.... It's funny they send polls out for some things but not this? I don't really care about the change, but I wish they would have at least asked..

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    The Pops on thise are great too!

Lou Creekmur - 14 graded, none higher than 6.5.

Earnie Stautner - 18 graded, none higher than 7

I also love how the price guide has values up a 9. Gotta be a guess!
  • Options
    That sucks. I don't even regard those as cards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I just noticed that in the HOF set it lists Staunter and Creekmur with an and/or for to include the 1950 felts. What's up with that? Did someone here request that? >>

Oh boy....man Jason is gonna go OFF. Once you approve one "or" you can't deny the others.....48 Leaf/Bowman, 61 Topps/Fleer, the list goes on and on, and gets worse with the more modern cards. Score/Pro Set Aikman & Sanders anyone?

Jasen >>

Wow...Crazy...Im definitely going to shoot some emails around on Monday and find out how this came about. The 50 Feltbacks are somewhat unique, as they are widely considered a "standard" issue set rather than specialty or oddball...So I could easily see them deny others, the questionable thing here is that they are willing to go against the entire concept of the set. Plus, this long into the game, its kinda ridiculous to make that type of change..

I HATE the and/or thing though..I mean we already have the HOF and/or set which allows any card...This set was devised as requiring the BEST rookie of each player, not multiple choice...

I can say that about 6 months ago, the Registry crew either got reorganized or reshuffled and they have been WILDLY inconsistent since then...

I would advise anyone who does not like this change to e-mail your displeasure to PSA. I'd like to give you the direct e-mail on who is handling these issues at PSA, but I honestly don't even know anymore...I guess just e-mail the canned set registry e-mail address and hope they get forwarded to the proper person.

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>I can say that about 6 months ago, the Registry crew either got reorganized or reshuffled and they have been WILDLY inconsistent since then... >>

I miss dealing with Cosetta. She was great. I think she's still at PSA. Just not sure in what capacity.
  • Options
    I was under the assumption that all cards had to be approved for the set ? WTF

It was said already, but where does it stop ? Does it change the 48 leaf and bowman and F all the people who paid a premium for Leafs to only find out now the cheaper Bowman version is acceptable. BS

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I can say that about 6 months ago, the Registry crew either got reorganized or reshuffled and they have been WILDLY inconsistent since then... >>

I miss dealing with Cosetta. She was great. I think she's still at PSA. Just not sure in what capacity. >>

B I N G O !!!!!!

We have a winner ladies and gentlemen. She's the one I've dealt with all along on this set as well as most of the Football Key Card sets..Getting players added, updating grade weights, etc. She was the institutional knowledge and with her not dealing with these types issues anymore the rhyme AND/OR (pun intended) reason has gone out the window...

Being honest, I see it getting worse before it gets better..Unless they bring someone else in who truly understand the meaning of what some of these changes mean to the collectors who buy these cards.

Dan's point above is spot on, and is a big reason the AND/OR can kill a set.

Jason
  • Options
    I got some clarification on this change from BJ. Someone requested the change, and PSA decided that even though the Feltbacks are the size of a stamp and have clothbacks, the majority of the collecting universe recognize them as true rookie cards. Instead of deleting the 1951 Stautner and Creekmur, they decided to make the cards multiple choice. For me, this is a better solution than deleting the 1951's and replacing them with the oddball Feltbacks that many collectors aren't interested in owning.

I was assured that all other cards on the set are "recognized" rookie cards and are not in danger of being replaced, or turned into multiple choice cards. This was/is a unique case.

I think they are going to post something under the Set on the website that explains it better and eliminates the chances of any similar changes in the future.

Jason
  • Options
    Jason,

Once you find out who is in charge over there, please let us know so we voice our collective displeasure to the proper person/authority. I do have to say there hasn't been this much activity on this board in quite some time. Way to go, Dave!

Jasen
  • Options

<< <i>Jason,

Once you find out who is in charge over there, please let us know so we voice our collective displeasure to the proper person/authority. I do have to say there hasn't been this much activity on this board in quite some time. Way to go, Dave!

Jasen >>

BJ is the Set Registry Manager, her e-mail is: BSearls@collectors.com

Based on what I was told, there was no poll because PSA collectively decided that the 1950 Feltbacks were the recognized rookies (I guess using Beckett as the default guidance on that). As long as they are going to post something that clarifies no further changes will be made, I'm not sure what else any e-mails of displeasure will help. But you, as well as anyone else, are certainly free give them your opinion of this event. Obviously someone on the set is in favor of it, as a request to make the change was made. I just wish they had sent a poll rather than determine themselves what a true rookie card is. I mean if the majority vote for 1996 Fleer Troy Aikman as the card they want on the set, then that is what it should be. Like Dave said, they poll everything else, and with 80+ collectors I would rather see what the majority think and go with that than not.

Jason
  • Options
    Sometimes PSA seems to forget that these sets are for the collectors and should be catered to them. Ruling with an iron fist (and not sending out a poll) is just not the way to go.