Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    The inclusion of the Topps Feltbacks in the HOF Set are, in my opinion, absolutely F&*%$#ing ridiculous. How can PSA simply make a decision that effects all of us without even asking any of us?? One of the main reasons I began collecting this set is because, while I don't agree with every rookie card selected, I do agree with 99% of them and I think the choices were carefully considered and researched. (I refer to my earlier post regarding the 1961 Packers Lake to Lake rookies, which rightfully are NOT included).

This is one of those "head scratcher" moves that make me say "huh?" I hope they don't screw up this set.

I better keep my eyes open for a 1926 Shotwell Candy Red Grange card, I'm sure that will be added next and I wouldn't want to be left out!!!

Doc

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Im quoting here via copy and paste:

"There won't be any further changes until there is a new addition for the set.

Thanks,

Gayle Kean
    Collectors Universe"
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't it look a little TOO nice though? I don't like that top right corner.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    I just wish they could scan something without making it so bright.. I need to put my shades on just to see it.

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope everyone had a good thanksgiving. I went to my wifes sister's house where FB was on tv all day. Nice day and I give thanks for family and friends.
    Also for this free site where we can keep an inventory and display our collections for free. I think PSA does a great job. In regards to the recent addition for the 2 rc's........many people do feel that they are the true rc's of those players. So I have no problem with PSA making then a and/or. For 99% of us this will have no affect at all.....I have neither of the new cards and the possibility of anyone having them in higher grade then one can find in bowman is slim to none.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    Here is my current Top 10 wantlist for this set. A big thanks to you guys for the last month, I picked up more than 10 cards for this set which now puts me in the top 20. I can actually see my set without the extra click! Let me know if you guys have any of these scrubs laying around:

1948 Leaf Luckman 6
    1952 Bowman Large Stydahar 7
    1954 Bowman Atkins 7
    1954 Bowman Blanda 7
    1955 Topps A/A Henry 7
    1957 Topps Berry 7
    1958 Topps Jurgensen 7
    1961 Fleer Maynard 8
    1970 Topps Page 8
    1973 Topps Dierdorf 9

Looking to pay around VCP. Thanks!

Jasen
  • Options
    Posted on the PSA website in ref. to future changes on the HOF RC set:

""We have updated the Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set with two new cards:
    1950 Topps Feltbacks #19 Lou Creekmur
    1950 Topps Feltbacks #79 Ernie Stautner
    These cards have been added as either or to the two Bowman cards. This change was made to be consistent with the rest of the cards in the set which are all recognized rookie cards. No other changes will be made to the set composition.""

I guess the only issue now will be determining future additions..Luckily, we have many of them already identified on the future HOF sets...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Did anyone happen to catch the promo last night during Monday Night Football?

The Greatest Game Ever Played, ESPN has a new 2 hour documentary airing December 13th at 9pm about that 1958 Colts Giants game. Apparently they colorized the film reformatted to HD and have alot of the old players watching the game with today’s guys. The footage they showed looked outstanding. I'll have my TIVO set for this one.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I found the promo...

Check this out!!

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Did anyone happen to catch the promo last night during Monday Night Football?

The Greatest Game Ever Played, ESPN has a new 2 hour documentary airing December 13th at 9pm about that 1958 Colts Giants game. Apparently they colorized the film reformatted to HD and have alot of the old players watching the game with today’s guys. The footage they showed looked outstanding. I'll have my TIVO set for this one.

Dave >>

Yes, I saw it as well..The footage they showed looked excellent, almost like the real deal..I'll definitely be watching..

Jason
  • Options
    Interesting write-up from a HOF voter...If either of these guys steal one or 2 of the final 5 spots, it will be a travesty, but not a surprise.

By Leonard Shapiro
    Special to washingtonpost.com
    Tuesday, December 2, 2008; 1:22 PM

They released the 25 semifinalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame earlier this week, and two names on that list offered some hope that several wrongs will be righted.

I'm talking about former Cleveland Browns/Baltimore Ravens owner Art Modell and recently retired NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, both of whom should have been slam dunks from the first day they were eligible instead of being swatted away by so many shot blockers among my fellow HOF selectors.

Over the next month, the selection committee will pare the list down to 15 finalists and then vote on the Class of 2009 the day before the Super Bowl.

Both men have been finalists in that meeting room before, and the back-and-forth, as you might expect, has been mostly contentious, to say the least. If they make it to the Final Fifteen again to be discussed at length at our next meeting, surely there will be more of the same before the Class of 2009 is finally chosen.

At some point during that session in Tampa on Jan. 31, someone in the room of 40-something media selectors will inevitably bring up our gold standard for admission. "Can you write the history of professional football without him?" is the question almost always asked on that final day of decision.

In my mind, both Modell and Tagliabue belong on the first page of that history, perhaps even in the first few paragraphs.

Not long ago, I submitted a note of support for Modell that was e-mailed by the Hall to my fellow selectors on behalf of Modell's candidacy, standard operating procedure in the process. In the interest of full disclosure, readers also should know that a few years ago, I agreed to help Modell write his autobiography, a project that has not been completed but one that convinced me even more of his worthiness for football's highest honor.

"A dozen years have passed since Art Modell moved his team from Cleveland, well past the statute of limitations on the emotions that swirled around the discussion the last time Art made the cut to the final fifteen," I wrote to my fellow selectors.

"In considering his magnificent body of work as one of the most influential and effective owners in the league for nearly half a century, it's truly a travesty that his bust is not on display in Canton by now, a great wrong we have a chance to right this year.

"You can look up his achievements in the biographical section of the Hall's recent mailing, but the short list includes being a central figure in the merger, being chairman of the committee that struck the first CBA with the NFLPA and chairing the league's broadcasting committee during a long period of unprecedented growth in rights fees. He was Pete Rozelle's right hand, go-to-guy on a wide variety of issues, made the merger work when he convinced Art Rooney to join him in the AFC and was a consistent league-first voice of reason at league meetings, along with people like Dan Rooney and the late Wellington Mara, both of whom have been strong supporters of Art's candidacy over the years.

"As for the move to Baltimore, there are two sides to every story, and our committee really didn't hear Modell's version of it last time he was discussed. I'd like the opportunity to share some of those details with you, including the fact that both Paul Tagliabue and one of his own U.S. senators from Ohio told him he had no choice but to leave after Cleveland city officials reneged on a number of promises.

"To his credit, and very much unlike the Irsay family (the owners of the Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts), Modell magnanimously left behind the name Browns, as well as the team colors and its records, for the new Cleveland franchise. And it also should be said that the fans of Cleveland and Baltimore clearly benefited from a move that left both cities with magnificent new stadiums, and Baltimore with a team to call its very own once again.

"Ask yourself another question. If we're penalizing him for moving his franchise, how is [it] that Al Davis, Lamar Hunt and Dan Reeves all managed to be voted into the Hall, despite shifting their teams to different cities as well?"

As an addendum, I now would add George Preston Marshall and Charles Bidwill to that list of owners already in the Hall who also moved their teams. And I'd also be remiss for not giving Modell credit for another first: promoting Hall of Fame tight end Ozzie Newsome as the league's first African-American general manager.

As for Tagliabue, the case for his inclusion also seems so obvious.

Over his 17-year tenure between 1989 and his retirement in 2007, Tagliabue led the league to an unparalleled period of growth and prosperity, from exponential leaps in television revenue, expansion to 32 teams, widespread new stadium construction, the creation of the NFL Network and not a single work stoppage in an era of unprecedented labor-management peace. There also was an explosion in player salaries and benefits as well as owners' financial equity in their own franchises, many now valued at over $1 billion, even in a tanking economy.

Over Tagliabue's tenure, virtually all of the markets that lost teams when their owners pulled up stakes (Baltimore, Cleveland, St. Louis, Houston and Oakland) and moved elsewhere got another franchise back. The obvious exception was Los Angeles, though not without Tagliabue and his successor, Roger Goodell, trying mightily to right that wrong.

Tagliabue was the league's driving force in the move to adopt the Rooney Rule that dramatically increased the numbers of minority head coaches and decision-making front office personnel all around the league. He also took the lead among professional sports executives in implementing a comprehensive drug-testing program that has served as a model for other leagues and sports associations.

So what's the problem with getting Paul Tagliabue to Canton?

Sad to say, unlike his smooth operating predecessor, Rozelle, a former PR man, Tagliabue was never a warm and fuzzy sort of fellow, particularly in his dealings with the media. He often was inaccessible, and when he did appear behind a podium at league meetings and Super Bowl news conferences, he was mostly the humorless buttoned-down attorney, stiff and ill at ease, sometimes evasive and even occasionally combative.

Tagliabue clearly did his very best work in back rooms and board rooms, where the sharp elbows he honed as a fine college basketball player at Georgetown and later as a brilliant courtroom litigator were far more effective. Warm and fuzzy never could have cut it with all those billionaire sharks in the owner ranks, and Tagliabue clearly was far more a relentless master of that universe than he was in his dealings with the media crowd.

Should that keep arguably the most accomplished sports commissioner in history from his rightful place in Canton? Should Modell's controversial (and completely justified, some would say) move from Cleveland to Baltimore keep him out, as well, after a lifetime of achievement in helping make the NFL the most popular game in America?

Of course not. Both men deserve to be in the Hall of Fame, and their inclusion in the Class of 2009 would be the perfect place to start.
  • Options
    Look at the bright side...............

That would be one less card to buy.....image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Look at the bright side...............

That would be one less card to buy.....image >>

Isn't that the downside?????image

• Options
    To be honest, I was totally shocked when Tags didn't make it on the first ballot. To me, his induction seems so obvious. Then again, I'm not a voter. Still, I think it's only a matter of time before he gets in....

Jasen
  • Options

<< <i>To be honest, I was totally shocked when Tags didn't make it on the first ballot. To me, his induction seems so obvious. Then again, I'm not a voter. Still, I think it's only a matter of time before he gets in....

Jasen >>

The unresolved CBA is the blemish on his record...It the salary cap goes away and we end up with a louckout in a couple of years, he may never get in...That will end up being his legacy...

Jason
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

The unresolved CBA is the blemish on his record...It the salary cap goes away and we end up with a louckout in a couple of years, he may never get in...That will end up being his legacy...

Jason >>

I understand that is a big issue but overall he was the best Commish the NFL has ever had. I believe you are viewing this with blinders on only looking at the CBA iddue. Below is an article from ESPN when he retired. It backs up my assertion that he was the best ever. Football is King and without Tag's it would not be where it is at.

I don't want to ruffle your feathers again but his legacy will be the accomplishments he did not the CBA. imageimage

He should be in the HOF already.

"NEW YORK -- Paul Tagliabue is leaving the NFL, and he's leaving it both peaceful and prosperous.

Growth Spurt
    How much has the NFL grown under Paul Tagliabue's leadership?

Television contracts

1990: Four-year, $3.6 billion contract (Inflation Value: $5.35 billion)
    2006: Contracts with four networks and DirecTV spanning as much as eight years is now worth $23.91 billion

Gross League Revenues

1990: $1.1 billion (Inflation Value: $1.63 billion)
    2006: $5.8 billion

Franchise Value

Team worth the most:
    1991: Miami Dolphins, $205 million, Financial World Magazine estimate (Inflation Value: $289 million)
    2005: Washington Redskins: $1.3 billion, Forbes estimate

Sponsorship

Price To Be An Official NFL Sponsor:
    1990: $200,000 to $5 million
    2006: Gatorade pays $45 million per year, Sprint pays $120 million a year

Super Bowl Commercial

Price of a 30-second ad:
    1990: $700,000
    2006: $2.5 million

-- Darren Rovell, ESPN.com

The 65-year-old commissioner will step down in July after 16 years, his tenure marked by labor harmony and unprecedented riches through television deals.

Tagliabue has been in charge since 1989, when he succeeded Pete Rozelle, and agreed last March to stay to complete the TV deal and a long-term contract with players.

He finally got that done 12 days ago, finishing the most arduous labor negotiations since the league and union agreed on a free agency-salary cap deal in 1992.

"I really want to emphasize how much of a privilege it is to spend most of your adult life with the NFL. This is not an easy decision for me," Tagliabue said on a conference call Monday.

"As difficult as this decision is, I also know it's the right decision. Right for me. Right for the league," he said.

Roger Goodell, the NFL's chief operating officer, and Atlanta general manager Rich McKay are the two leading candidates to succeed Tagliabue. Baltimore Ravens president Dick Cass also is considered to have an outside chance and Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice has said she would like the job.

"Ask her," Tagliabue said when quizzed about Rice's candidacy.

Tagliabue said the search is wide open and that he will stay on beyond July to avoid the kind of seven-month deadlock that occurred between him and the late Jim Finks after Rozelle stepped down in March 1989.

Owners will begin to look for a new commissioner at their meetings next week in Orlando, Fla.

As for his own tenure, Tagliabue said, "Building a strong relationship with the NFL Players Association is the thing I'm most proud of."

"Everyone involved in the NFL in the '80s saw that as a negative," he said.

More than anything else, Tagliabue took over a league that already had already become America's game under Rozelle and took it to the next level, enriching it and restoring labor peace.

In many cases, he turned millionaire owners into billionaires. The value of many franchises has increased tenfold since 1989 -- those worth $70 million then are worth $700 million now.

With the labor and TV deals done, Tagliabue made no secret that retirement was near.

Last week, he told players' union executive director Gene Upshaw that he would spend the weekend at his vacation home in Maine. Tagliabue also said he might look at buying a boat for retirement.

Upshaw heard about Tagliabue's decision while vacationing in Hawaii, and e-mailed him: "I didn't expect I'd start my Monday morning this way. I guess you bought the boat."

Turns out Tagliabue didn't -- although he did go shopping.

Tagliabue's first phone call with the news went to Pittsburgh's Dan Rooney, the NFL's senior owner. The other owners learned of his retirement by e-mail.

"We've got the best labor deal in sports. We've got the best league. He's been our leader. The whole way he's done this has been wonderful," Rooney told The Associated Press.

Tagliabue will stay on with the NFL as a senior executive and a consultant through 2008, part of the contract extension he signed last July.

His term will be remembered most for labor peace following strikes in 1982 and 1987. His close relationship with Upshaw finally led to a long-term agreement after five years without a contract.

But the bargaining was hard this time, with three straight deadline extensions needed. The agreement avoided the prospect of entering free agency this year with the possibility of an uncapped year in 2007.

It came at the expense of revenue sharing among the owners, an issue that had divided high-revenue and small-revenue teams and contributed to the deadlock. He did it with what has been considered his greatest skill as commissioner, patching together a coalition of nine teams with differing viewpoints to reach a compromise considered satisfactory by all but two teams.

He also oversaw a massive stadium building program. More than two-thirds of the NFL's 32 teams are either playing in or building stadiums that didn't exist when he took over as commissioner in 1989.

He said his biggest regret as commissioner was allowing both the Rams and Raiders to leave Los Angeles after the 1994 season -- the Rams for St. Louis and the Raiders for Oakland. The league has been trying to get a team back in Los Angeles since then.

Before taking on this job, Tagliabue was a league lawyer who spent much of that time as the NFL's representative and unofficial lobbyist in Washington.

"He has been a tremendous asset to our league and the direction we have taken," New Orleans owner Tom Benson said.

"We have experienced very positive growth in the area of revenue sharing and broadcast contracts, we have secured long-term labor peace and have also even encountered some of the worst of times following 9/11, but through it all Paul has been a leader, a friend and a voice that many others within our league and other leagues have followed."

Dallas owner Jerry Jones said: "We didn't always agree, but he encouraged the airing of different opinions and philosophies amongst the entire ownership. From a personal perspective I know he brought out the best in me in what I could do to serve the NFL and the fans of this league. That's leadership."
  • Options
    I hate to burst your bubble, but you've never ruffled my feathers..lol

Also, If what you are saying about Tags is the truly the case with the HOF VOTERS (the opinions that count in this matter) he would already be in the HOF. He's not because he never resolved the CBA issues during his entire tenure. He certainly helped grow the league, although I'm not sure he was better or more important to future success than Pete Rozelle.

The things I've heard mentioned by HOF VOTERS on Tagliabue is that he probably won't get in until the CBA that he pushed back and extended during his time rather than fix and/or renegotiate is resolved. Hence, the reason he's been past over the last couple of years and IMO will be again this year...But hey, you never know...

Most likely they will iron things out down the road, and when they do, he will make the HOF.

Jason
  • Options
    I think Tagliabue should be inducted. Also, if I was a player, I would not sign onto the CBA the owners want, which is to take money from the players. ~50 owners should not get more then the ~2000 players.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    While the HOF voters might have other opinions on Tagliabue, the League's growth and financial success prove why he is deserving of the Hall of Fame.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options

<< <i>While the HOF voters might have other opinions on Tagliabue, the League's growth and financial success prove why he is deserving of the Hall of Fame. >>

I agree...And once the CBA that he started but never finished gets worked out, He will certainly get in. Hey, maybe even this year...

But it is clearly the only thing that has kept him out so far...Everything else on his resume is HOF worthy...If for some reason it doesn't get worked out and we end up with replacement players or something again, he will probably lose more votes than he already has. There is really no debating here. He's been in the final 15 the last 2 years and had his candidacy debated in the HOF meeting. He was not selected. Those are the facts..Everyone has an opinion on him, and there is nothing wrong with that. But if you want to know why he isn't in yet, the failure to find a fix to the CBA before retiring is the reason..Like I said, i don't know of anything else you could point to on his resume and say it isn't HOF worthy...Kinda like Ken Stabler and his "INTs" or Bob Kuechenberg and the "so many Dolphins from that team are already in" or Art Monk's "king of the 8 yard hook" until last year...

Jason
  • Options
    I have to do a wish list for our office Secret Santa gift exchange. What are some of the DVD's you guys would recommend? I know they were posted here before, but this thread is a little long to go looking. Thanks in advance!

Jasen
  • Options

<< <i>I have to do a wish list for our office Secret Santa gift exchange. What are some of the DVD's you guys would recommend? I know they were posted here before, but this thread is a little long to go looking. Thanks in advance!

Jasen >>

This one: The Greatest Players & Coaches is cheap and excellent for the 2+ hours of highlights it provides...

It's also one of the DVDs in the Pro Football HOF DVD Collection..This a little more expensive but also a little more in depth..It has a HOFer DVD that has short highlight reels of almost every player in the HOF...You can't just stick it in and watch though, you have to click through with a remote and choose which player highlights to play...

The first DVD you can pop in and it will run start to finish...I've given that one as a gift more than a few times...Typically to friends I have aren't familiar with many of the old timers..

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>This one: The Greatest Players & Coaches is cheap and excellent for the 2+ hours of highlights it provides...
    >>

I picked this one up earlier this year and is awesome. Jason recommended it to me......

I may need to get it out and watch it again soon.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    I would recommend the America's Game DVD's and the Greatest Game DVD sets. The Greatest Game DVD's are complete re-airs w/out commercials.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    I just read on rotoworld.com that Seau signed with the Pats. I guess we'll have to wait a little longer to see him in Canton.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>I just read on rotoworld.com that Seau signed with the Pats. I guess we'll have to wait a little longer to see him in Canton. >>

He might be the top candidate in 2014 now. Depends on what Favre does after this season...

Good for him...I think he's still got some skills left in the tank...

Jason
  • Options
    I still cant see Favre retiring after this year with the year he's having. Hell, he may have 3 years left!

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I still cant see Favre retiring after this year with the year he's having. Hell, he may have 3 years left! >>

I thought the same thing last year..Then he rtired..Then unretired..lol

Who knows with him...If the Jets win it all, he would morew than likely sail off into the sunset..I believe he wants the Elway ending...

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I still cant see Favre retiring after this year with the year he's having. Hell, he may have 3 years left! >>

Who knows with him...If the Jets win it all, he would morew than likely sail off into the sunset..I believe he wants the Elway ending...

Jason >>

The only reason Favre retired the way he did was to "F" with Ted Thompson. They don't get along and Favre wanted to embarrass him. Both of them did not handle it will. Damn children. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Jason >>

The only reason Favre retired the way he did was to "F" with Ted Thompson. They don't get along and Favre wanted to embarrass him. Both of them did not handle it will. Damn children. image >>

I don't know..When I watched his retirement press conference, I think HE believed he was ready to retire. Problem was, he later changed his mind because #1, he knew he could still play, and #2, he wanted that cowboy ending...Not throwing an INT in the NFC Championship game, but rather throwing the winning TD in the Super Bowl..He may not retire until he gets it..Or until his arm falls off...lol

Jason
  • Options
    How in God's name did this get a two? Looks like it got run through a toilet. Maybe a 4 ST? But this is ugly.

• Options
    Yowsers!! thats an ugly card!! If that is a 2 then mine is a 5!!

On another topic, Ed Reed is a Machine tonight....I need to get his best RC...What is it?

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    Cool, THanks Jason...

OK, I have another list for you to put together.

How about 1. Active players, 2. Most pro-bowls, and 3. Currently not in our HOF modern set.

(players like Reed, Polamalu, Joey Porter, etc..)

When is it that we normally vote on new players to be added to the modern set? Is it at the end of each season? I forget.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Cool, THanks Jason...

OK, I have another list for you to put together.

How about 1. Active players, 2. Most pro-bowls, and 3. Currently not in our HOF modern set.

(players like Reed, Polamalu, Joey Porter, etc..)

When is it that we normally vote on new players to be added to the modern set? Is it at the end of each season? I forget.

Dave >>

Dave, I do already have that list pending for when we do the vote for the Modern Set for this year. It will be in January, the last thing we are usually waiting for are the All-Pro selections for this season.

I will be submitting everyone with at least 6 Pro Bowls, and/or 4 All-Pro (1st team) selections, plus all modern candidates who have made the HOF semi-finals at least 3 times. We can vote on those guys and whichever receive majority vote here on the boards, I will send that request to PSA. Of course if you or anyone else have other players you want to put on the ballot, you will be free to do so and allow everyone else to vote on them as well.

I don't want to speculate on who will or who won't have the 6 PB and/or 4 AP's. Pro Bowl selections should be out next week, but again All-Pro's aren't announced until early January.

Lastly, we will need to discuss Steve At-water and his candidacy. 5 straight years now he hasn't even made the semifinals, I would prefer to see him removed from the modern set as we are looking for players who are likely to definite to be inducted. At the same time, I hate to have to remove any cards from any set. But when I see At-water there who can't make the final 25, it really doesn't make sense that guys who have made the semifinals or finals as a modern candidate are not on the set...Because the HOF voters are not or must not think At-water is even close to being a HOFer that he can't make the final 25 in a 5 year span. He seems to be WAY WAY down the list of modern candidates and is probably a longshot at best at this point.

If we add all the longshots to the set, it could easily double in size...lol

Jason
  • Options
    He guys, just giving a heads up to those of you who might be interested. There is a popular weekly sportscard show that runs on syndicated talk radio called "the Hobby". many of you might already be familiar with it. I've listened to it on the web a few times and it's an interesting show, although they talk baseball most of the time...lol

Anyway, this Saturday they will be talking Pro Football HOF RC's! And will be specifically addressing THIS set, to include interviewing the top dog Jon (fight4olddc) on the show.

Anyone who doesn't have or doesn't know when that show plays in your local area, here is a link to the website which you can listen to it on your computer:

"The Hobby", on WGR Sportsradio 550

You don't have to be on when they play it live either, as they archive all their shows, so you can listen later.

Sounds like it will be a fun discussion, plus some more pub for this already popular great set.

Jason
  • Options

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Anyone have a PSA 8 OJ available? Looking to pay $80-$100. Lmk, thanks.

Jasen
  • Options
    Maybe you can talk this guy down a bit. This is a really nice 8:

OJ 8
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone have a PSA 8 OJ available? Looking to pay $80-$100. Lmk, thanks.

Jasen >>

Order filled....thx!
  • Options
    Just a reminder......The greatest game ever played is on tonight at 9pm....

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Just a reminder......The greatest game ever played is on tonight at 9pm.... >>

Just got done watching from my Tivo...Well worth the 2 hours, just for the commentary from the old guys alone..I've seen most of the footage in the past, so was nothing new there, but was cool to see in color..

Overall A+ presentation by ESPN. Highly recommended by anyone collecting this set..17 HOFers combined on these 2 sidelines..They even use football cards when introducing the players who are speaking on the show..lol

Jason
  • Options
    Felt like posting a couple recent pickups towards this set. I just started it not too long ago, but I'm slowly filling in:

My initial strategy has been to focus on University of Illinois alum, Bears players and guys that I grew up admiring to start off. The Riggins was just an impulse buy.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Just a reminder......The greatest game ever played is on tonight at 9pm.... >>

Just got done watching from my Tivo...Well worth the 2 hours, just for the commentary from the old guys alone..I've seen most of the footage in the past, so was nothing new there, but was cool to see in color..

Overall A+ presentation by ESPN. Highly recommended by anyone collecting this set..17 HOFers combined on these 2 sidelines..They even use football cards when introducing the players who are speaking on the show..lol

Jason >>

I have to find when it's re-airing and record it. I was in DirecTV installation purgatory when it aired.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Jason >>

I have to find when it's re-airing and record it. I was in DirecTV installation purgatory when it aired. >>

I think it's on again Tuesday.

Jason
  • Options
    I didn't know it was going to be a documentry style, I thought it was going to be 100% rebroadcast, so I was a little disappointed.
  • Options

<< <i>I didn't know it was going to be a documentry style, I thought it was going to be 100% rebroadcast, so I was a little disappointed. >>

100% rebroadcast of that game does not exist. NFL Network has re-played the game as one of it's "NFL Classics" which shows the majority of the game as if it were being shown live. But it is in black and white. For me, is MUCH more interesting with the player commentary on the intricacies of what went down that day...

Jason
  • Options
    I really liked the format as well....

I wonder how Gifford felt knowing that he really was short on the 3rd down call toward the end of the game. I'm sure he really didn't want to know the truth......

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Audio from the radio show...

A MUST listen for anyone collecting this set or reading this thread! Specifically at about the 19:00 mark...

The Hobby- 13 December

Jason