Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• recbballrecbball Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭
    I listened to it this morning while I was painting my bedroom, great stuff.
  • nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I stumbled on this blog and thought you guys might enjoy it. Or maybe it's one of yours? The popups are kind of annoying--I recommend scrolling down rather than using the links.
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I stumbled on this blog and thought you guys might enjoy it. Or maybe it's one of yours? The popups are kind of annoying--I recommend scrolling down rather than using the links. >>

Yeah, been reading that one for a few months..Caught it after about the 5-6th player he did, the Sporting News actually puts these on their website...He does some real nice write-ups, but I don't typically like the endings...lol

Every guy is the most overlooked and most deserving of HOF induction...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
    BTW..If you havent noticed Jamal Lewis playing tonight is exactly 95 yards from reaching 10,000 in which case he'll be headed to the All-Time Rushers set...

Maybe tonight!

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Didn't Warrick Dunn just pass 10K?

Wow............What are the odds that post #5000 falls exactly on the 2 year anniversary of the start of this thread!!!! I can't believe its been that long!!

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!

<< <i>Didn't Warrick Dunn just pass 10K?

Wow............What are the odds that post #5000 falls exactly on the 2 year anniversary of the start of this thread!!!! I can't believe its been that long!! >>

Dunn passed 10K last year along with Fred Taylor and was added to the Rushers set back then...

Hey, was I #5000???? Sweeettt....Didn't even notice...

2 years, its been quite a thread..We are quickly approaching year 6 anniversary of this set being created....We've come a long way, and it's been a blast! All we can hope for are 6 more just as good...lol

Jason

• << <i>

I think it's on again Tuesday.

Jason >>

Thanks, my DVR is set!
  • Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    I just listened to the HOF Rookies show and Jon on the WGR radio program and it was terrific. If you collect this set it's definitely worth a listen.

Doc
    I finally got a chance to listen to it. I would love to take Jon up on his offer to visit his safety deposit box......I would make it worth my while and bring my scanner with me to get all those beauties scanned... Those scans need to be available for all to see!!!

Glad to hear a shout out to Jason and "that Largent collector"

LOL..

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • I hear the Largent collector has started putting together rookie sets of Boldin & Fitzgerald.

Jasen
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    Brett Favre made the Pro Bowl? Come on now. The guy is an INT machine. Statistically he rates as no better than the 4th best QB in the AFC:

Favre 3,052 21-17
    Rivers 3,515 28-11
    Cutler 3,851 24-15
    Manning 3,543 23-12

Arghhh!!!
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
    Bottom line is...He is one of the greatest QB's of our time and people want to see him play. I can't argue with his selection.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    Players to note on the Pro Bowl Rosters, as you will see their names again when we vote on the Future HOF-Modern additions next month..

Brian Dawkins-7th Pro Bowl
    Kevin Mawae- 7th Pro Bowl
    Steve Hutchinson- 6th Pro Bowl
    Chris Samuels- 6th Pro Bowl

Jason
    Jason,
    What is Chris Samuels best RC?
    Tom
  • PubliusPublius Posts: 1,306 ✭✭

<< <i>I hear the Largent collector has started putting together rookie sets of Boldin & Fitzgerald.

Jasen >>

Well, half way there anyway image

Great radio show, thanks for posting the link for us jason. I listened to it tonight, very cool. Jon is obviously a very humble guy, it was very cool to hear him give shout outs to the guys on the boards, Mint State, Jason, etc. Talk about great advertising for the radio program as well, hundreds of registry guys visiting their website, downloading old programs. They should interview registry guys more often.

As far as the future HOF RC set goes, here is a list of possible candidates I recommend that arent also currently in a decades set as well (Cortez kennedy, etc) Some of these are long shots, so not sure if everyone wants them added to the registry or not. I guess thats why we vote.

Name. 1st team all pro/ 2nd team all pro/ Pro bowls
    Ed Reed. 3/0/4
    Chad Johnson. 2/2/5 (Already has a custom made yellow jacket that fits nicely)
    Jason Taylor. 3/2/6
    Brian Dawkins. 4/1/6
    Ronde Barber. 3/2/4 (although he sure got stiffarmed a few times last sunday by ex Oregon Duck Jonathan Stewart)
    kevin Mawae. 2/5/6
    Chris Doleman. 2/4/8
    Deron Cherry. 4/3/6

Joe, many of those you have listed will be up for vote in a few weeks when we do our annual Futre HOF Modern Set additions.

Anyone that I don't put on the ballot, you can certainly add to the ballot yourself.

We still have to wait for the All-Pro selections for this year which will happen after the end of the season in early Jan. Once we have those, we can do the vote.

The names you listed are definitely guys to start thinking about, Need to see who makes the all-pro list first. Getting the Pro Bowl names yesterday gives a pretty good picture of who the All-Pro's might be. I know for sure that Deron Cherry won't be in the inital list of names I submit here for a vote. In fact, I will probably put At-water to vote for deletion. Neither have ever made the final 25 in 5+ tries, and I'm not sure how we can consider them future HOFers if they aren;t even getting close. On the other hand, guys like Charles Haley, Chris Doleman, Cortez Kennedy have made the final 25 multiple times and seem to be in line before At-water or Cherry yet we havent added them yet.

But hey, this is a democracy, and whoever gets the votes here, we will submit to PSA as it will be ver likely that they will get the votes needed when the poll is sent out.
    Jason
    HOF QB Sammy Baugh died today..... May he rest in peace....image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you have a great collection. Please check out www.sportcollectorsdisplay.com Feel free to list your best items. It only takes a few minutes.
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

Well, I finally did it!!!!! After about 6 years of plugging away on this set, I have finally finished this set. I just added a PSA 3 Jim Thorpe. Although it is not the prettiest PSA 3, it will do for now. My goal was to finish by the end of the year and I did it with 2 weeks to spare!!

Link to my entire set

Here is the set in the beginning.

I've definalty come a long way and I have many of you to thank in helping me get to 100%

I am not sure what my next step is. I will probably start upgrading some of the cards by picking some off ebay. I just can't see my self selling this set anytime soon. Hopefully I will be able to hand this down to my boys years down the road. I have also thought about...

1. Picking up pre-rookie cards from the HOF'ers
    2. Starting a 48 leaf set
    3. Starting a 35 Chicle set

Who knows what the future will bring....
    I hope everyone here has a great holiday season....I know I will

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Congrats, Dave!!!!!
    I have been holding on to my money right now, so I haven't plugged any holes lately. I work @ an auto manufacturing plant (luckily it is Toyota) so I feel safe about my job, but you never know so I just watch everyone else upgrade for now.
    congrats again
    Vince
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher

• << <i>Well, I finally did it!!!!! >>

Congratulations, that is a huge accomplishment!! Color me envious!
    Congratulations Dave, a huge accomplishment.
    I bet that felt good when you plugged that Thorpe into your set and got to 100%.
    Happy holidays,
    Tom
  • Nice!
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
    Dave, Congratulations!! you beat me to the punch(I have one more). What a great accomplishment.

Well done,
    Doc
  • Congrats on reaching 100%! great achievement with this tuff set

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭✭
    congrats dave. nice set and a much welcomed labor of love I'm sure.

I want to wish everyone a happy holidays and a xmas to those who celebrate it.

I think that steve largent guy collects all FB cards. I know he likes the ones I bid on and seem to lose. lol

Does anyone know the rc'sthat most likely would be in the psa reg set for the gus jason mentioned? they now have 6-7 pobowls and now considered for vote into the modern set. I believe hutchenson was one of them. Dawkins is the finest???
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Dave- Great Job!

Still looking for that 1935 Nagurski here!

Happy holidays to all, hope everone is getting by with the weather. Power in NW Indiana was out all night 1/2" of ice. Thankfully it warmed up to 36 today!
  • I noticed there is a Nagurski PSA 8.5 and also a Nevers PSA 10 as the 1955 Topps All American PSA 10's continue to grow.
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
  • PubliusPublius Posts: 1,306 ✭✭

<< <i>I noticed there is a Nagurski PSA 8.5 ........ >>

You "noticed" after I told you about it a month ago, coat tail rider!!

Hope you choke on all that nice weather down their MAD, its snowing even harder here in Seattle now, than when I talked to you earlier!

Happy Holidays to all of you guys and your families and a safe New Year!

On a personal note I'd like to mention that my wife and I are expecting a son in late May, it's our first!! Although my card buying will now taper off a bit, I'll still be lurking in the background to upgrade some cards!

All the best,
    Doc
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Joe - You should have bet Jasen the Vikings would thump the hapless (we play in the NFC West, how could we not win) division. I mean, Seattle? San Fran? St Louis? At least the Cardinals have some semblance of talent on both sides of the ball. But really, all they had to do was beat those three teams twice? Hmph. They let T Jack come in and throw 4 TD's on them. I don't think he had 4 TD's last season! Ah well at least he isn't a die hard Seattle fan or something.

Dave - Congrats on completing the set! A great accomplishment! One I wish I had. You should be proud.

Happy Holidays everyone.

-Josh
  • Dave- Congrats on an awesome accomplishmentimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, I finally did it!!!!! After about 6 years of plugging away on this set, I have finally finished this set. I just added a PSA 3 Jim Thorpe. Although it is not the prettiest PSA 3, it will do for now. My goal was to finish by the end of the year and I did it with 2 weeks to spare!!

Link to my entire set

Here is the set in the beginning.

I've definalty come a long way and I have many of you to thank in helping me get to 100%

I am not sure what my next step is. I will probably start upgrading some of the cards by picking some off ebay. I just can't see my self selling this set anytime soon. Hopefully I will be able to hand this down to my boys years down the road. I have also thought about...

1. Picking up pre-rookie cards from the HOF'ers
    2. Starting a 48 leaf set
    3. Starting a 35 Chicle set

Who knows what the future will bring....
    I hope everyone here has a great holiday season....I know I will

Dave >>

That is quite the accomplishment. Congrats, I know many of us hope one day to finish the set as well.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>On a personal note I'd like to mention that my wife and I are expecting a son in late May >>

Congratulations, Doc! A hall-of-famer on the way!
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Doc, from one Packer fan to another.
    Jamal Lewis went over 10,000 career yards today. Look for him to be added to the All-Time Rushers set. Not sure if PSA will send out as poll or not, my guess they will.

His best rookie: 2000 SP Authentic #132

Jason
    Now, I am collecting the lower grade HOF rookies but how did this card not get a 1. What justifies the 1.5. UGGGGG

You can still read his name on the front???lol

Jason
    Thanks Guys, I am looking forward to this new addition, I just have to be sure that my boy is a sports fan(especially football)!!

Doc
  • Hey Jason,

I finally have found all my Colts interview tapes that I told you I would give you. I found Lenny Moore x 2, Tom Matte, Art Donovan, Bucky Levine (Colts Pharacist) x 2, Jim Parker, Gino Marchetti and Lucy Ewbank (wife). None of the interviews have been heard by anyone other then me.

PM me your address and I will have them on your way sometime soon (holiday forgiveness). All are on cassette tape. You mentioned transferring them to CD, if possible, I would like copies of the CDs for my records.

Clear Skies,
    Mark

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • I also found my 1958 Championship game bootleg on cassette tape that I will toss in as well. (Don't need a copy of it).
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello Fellas, just popping in to see if anyone can reccomend a good DVD on 1950's and earlier Football.

Thank You and Merry Xmas!

<< <i>Hello Fellas, just popping in to see if anyone can reccomend a good DVD on 1950's and earlier Football.

Thank You and Merry Xmas! >>

They did not make DVD's in the 50's image
  • I hope everyone here had a Merry Christmas. What is the coolest sports-related gift you received? Post your answers here, I'm interested to see what people got. Any get a key card they needed for this set? I got Cardinals playoff tix and a foam Cardinal head to wear to the game.

Jasen
    No cards, but I did get a shirt and sweatshirt from the HOF store..

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • As a combined Christmas/Graduation present I got a pair of University of Illinois Football season tickets. My son got this cool football player guy/action figure that kicks foam footballs for field goals when you smack him on the head. He's too young to get it, but I had a lot of fun. It launches the footballs a pretty good distance.
  • dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    I picked this up for my set. Was listed as 1951 rather than 52.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Very nice....there is a currently a 48 Leaf Baugh PSA 6 listed as a Sid Luckman, for those of you who need a Baugh.

Link

Jasen
    Looks like he changed the description now.

I'm wanting a PSA 6 Baugh but it's a little too o/c for my taste.

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!