Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    I may be looking to sell the following cards:

PSA 9 '66 Sayers
    PSA 9 '71 C. Sanders (Pop 3)
    PSA 9 2000 Brady SP
    PSA 10 2001 Tomlinson Topps Chrome

PM me with serious offers only.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    FYI,

The 2009 HOF Finalists will be released early next week. Most likely Tuesday. I should have the list before it is announced, will post here as soon as it is received. Hopefully I will be around a computer Monday/Tuesday before the press release.

My predictions:

Cris Carter, WR
    Dermontti Dawson, C
    Richard Dent, DE
    Russ Grimm, G
    Ray Guy, P
    Bob Kuechenberg, G
    Randall McDaniel, G
    John Randle, DT
    Andre Reed, WR
    Shannon Sharpe, TE
    Bruce Smith, DE
    Ken Stabler, QB
    Paul Tagliabue, Commissioner
    Derrick Thomas, LB
    Rod Woodson, CB/S

Plus the 2 Seniors who have already been selected:
    Bob Hayes, WR
    Claude Humphrey, DE

Jason

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • I am leaving tomorrow after work for the Cards-Falcons playoff game in Glendale. I know Mr. Squires will be rooting for my Cards to represent the NFC West (and so he can keep that sig line for another week image ). Nobody in the national media is giving the Cards a chance in this game. I think they will be quite surprised by the outcome, these guys are ready to flip the switch. Either way it will be fun to see how pumped the crowd will be for a playoff game.

And a Cards win can't hurt Warner's chances for the HOF....

Jasen

<< <i>I am leaving tomorrow after work for the Cards-Falcons playoff game in Glendale. I know Mr. Squires will be rooting for my Cards to represent the NFC West (and so he can keep that sig line for another week image ). Nobody in the national media is giving the Cards a chance in this game. I think they will be quite surprised by the outcome, these guys are ready to flip the switch. Either way it will be fun to see how pumped the crowd will be for a playoff game.

And a Cards win can't hurt Warner's chances for the HOF....

Jasen >>

Warner will need a 3rd MVP or another Super Bowl ring...

I'll be rooting for them as well, although the Falcons seem to be charmed this year, that Cards offense should be enough at home to at least get them a playoff win..Next week, I think they're toast vs. Giants or Panthers though...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what time Manning....errrrrrr... I mean the MVP is announced today?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    2008 MVP Voting

Peyton Manning 32
    Chad Pennington 4
    Michael Turner 4
    James Harrison 3
    Adrian Peterson 3
    Philip Rivers 2
    Chris Johnson 1
    Kurt Warner 1

Top vote getters this decade (2000-2008)

Peyton Manning 121
    Tom Brady 67
    LaDainian Tomlinson 44
    Kurt Warner 34
    Marshall Faulk 32

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>2008 MVP Voting

Peyton Manning 32
    Chad Pennington 4
    Michael Turner 4
    James Harrison 3
    Adrian Peterson 3
    Philip Rivers 2
    Chris Johnson 1
    Kurt Warner 1

---

Don't get me wrong Manning is good, but that far ahead of Pennington? Come on. Where is Aaron Rogers? image
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Where was DeAngelo Williams in that voting???
    I know Manning has had some great years in the past, breaking records and all that..But IMO, this season was his best ever...No running game and a terrible defense, Peyton is the reason they are where they are...As his knee got healthy, so did the Colts record...As unstoppable as an QB has ever been that I've seen...You could put 15 guys on defense and he'd still complete 60%+..

Well deserved..If anything I thought Adrian Peterson deserved more votes...Putting up those rushing totals without a viable passing attack to help him was amazing...

Jason
    I can't believe Kurt Warner went from the clear-cut favorite a month ago to getting one measly vote. Yes, the Cards sucked down the stretch. And they can't play on the East Coast. And they have no running game - and little defense to speak of. BUT they DID win their weak division. Warner breathed new life into a dead franchise. He deserved more support.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
    Matt Ryan/DeAngelo Williams/Steve Smith/Troy Polamalu (maybe take one of Harrison's votes away and give to Troy)/DeMarcus Ware/Matt Cassel all deserved at least a vote, IMO...

Edited to say: Probably Ed Reed, too. I forgot about him because I can't stand his team.

<< <i>Matt Ryan/DeAngelo Williams/Steve Smith/Troy Polamalu (maybe take one of Harrison's votes away and give to Troy)/DeMarcus Ware/Matt Cassel all deserved at least a vote, IMO...

Edited to say: Probably Ed Reed, too. I forgot about him because I can't stand his team. >>

I think its between Harrison and Reed for Defensive Player of the Year....

Jason

<< <i>

<< <i>Matt Ryan/DeAngelo Williams/Steve Smith/Troy Polamalu (maybe take one of Harrison's votes away and give to Troy)/DeMarcus Ware/Matt Cassel all deserved at least a vote, IMO...

Edited to say: Probably Ed Reed, too. I forgot about him because I can't stand his team. >>

I think its between Harrison and Reed for Defensive Player of the Year....

Jason >>

Jason,
    Do you know what is considered Harrison's RC?
    No, I only track HOFers and future HOFers..Harrison hasn't been around long enough for me to start tracking him as a future HOFer...If he keeps playing like he has been the last couple years, I'll eventually need to research it and find out what his best rookie is...But to this point, I have no clue..

Jason
  • alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Jason,
    Do you know what is considered Harrison's RC? >>

Harrison rookies are all 2008

Bowman Sterling JSY RC /389
    Score
    Select
    Stadium Club
    Topps
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I know Manning has had some great years in the past, breaking records and all that..But IMO, this season was his best ever...No running game and a terrible defense, Peyton is the reason they are where they are...As his knee got healthy, so did the Colts record...As unstoppable as an QB has ever been that I've seen...You could put 15 guys on defense and he'd still complete 60%+..

Well deserved..If anything I thought Adrian Peterson deserved more votes...Putting up those rushing totals without a viable passing attack to help him was amazing...

Jason >>

I agree that what Manning did was impressive but Peterson deserved it for the reason you pointed out. A defense usually has an easier time stopping the run rather than the pass so Peterson's ability to succeed when DC's knew he was getting the ball speak volumns as to how talented and important to his team he is.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    One thing that most fail to mention is how Manning changed the game this year to keep his defense off the field. He ran longer, sustained drives and pushed the play clock to shorten the game.

Sure, his numbers were still impressive, but what he did as a single offensive player to help his defensive teammates on the other side of the ball is absolutely stunning and I have yet to hear anyone acknowledge that he sacrificed his numbers and forced his offensive teammates to play more to save their defense.

If Manning had played the same way the Colts had played the past few years, while he would've had more TD's and more yardage, they would've been lucky to have finished 8-8.

Manning is more than just the MVP. He's Peyton and has forgotten more about being a QB than most NFL QB's will ever know!
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    sure didnt look that way against a terrible Packers defense this year. 2 INTs(returned for TD's), 0 TDs and a 46 rating.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
    Good thing the MVP voting in based on the entire season and not each players worst game....image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    Has there ever been a season in which the league MVP didn't have at least one bad game? I was looking back through the historical MVPs, and of all the guys I've watched during my years all had a bad game or two along the way...

Every guy who got a vote this year had a bad game or games along the way..That's the fun of watching an NFL game..You just never know...

Plus, the Packers defense was terrible vs. the run, not the pass...In fact they were ranked 26th vs. the run and just 12th vs. the pass...I certainly wouldn't call that terrible..Not to mention, one of their DBs got selected for the Pro Bowl...On the flip side, the Colts were 31st in rush offense, 5th in pass offense...

When the Packers and Colts played, the Colts had Addai out..Rhodes rushed 20 times for 73 yards..So Peyton didnt have much help...

Jason
    FYI for all...

MintState Inc. has a LARGE group of HOF RC's available on their site right now..Many just added...I just made a purchase myself...Lots to choose from for those of you still building the set.

Here's a link for anyone in the market...

MINT State - PSA Graded Football Cards

Jason
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>FYI for all...

MintState Inc. has a LARGE group of HOF RC's available on their site right now..Many just added...I just made a purchase myself...Lots to choose from for those of you still building the set.

Here's a link for anyone in the market...

MINT State - PSA Graded Football Cards

Jason >>

Jason,

Did you get 10% off to make the above marketing pitch for Rick? image j/k

I agree w/ Jason's comment about the Packers defense this year. They had several ball hawks on defense (Collins and Woodson) and have many defensive TD's did they score this year...7/8? The Packers secondary was playing at a high level until the Saints game...which is when the wheels fell off the truck.

How about Chad Pennington for MVP? Where would the Dolphins have been this year w/o Chad in the lineup? Going into the season the Fins QB choices were bleak: Chad Henne, John Beck, Josh McCown...and the Dolphins were facing another dismal season. All the sudden, Chad fell into their laps and they were instantly competitive (and quite good as it turns out).

I'm not going to compare Chad Pennington against Peyton Manning, however if solely judging the MVP of the 2008 season - I'd have to choose the former.

Just my two cents.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
    50% actually......

Yeah, I wish...lol

I posted that to point some of our newer members of this set towards some cards they might be able to use...Some of which don't come available too often. I wasn't asked to post it...

Great game last night..The MVP curse continues...The last league MVP to also win the Super Bowl in the same year? Kurt Warner 1999...The last 9 years, the MVP has not gone on to win the Super Bowl...In the 9 previous years, 5 league MVPs also won the Super Bowl in their MVP season...

Next year, I'd be rooting against anyone on your favorite team being named MVP...lol

Jason
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Hey gang, hope everyone had a Happy New Year.

Just posted some HOF rc's and future hof'ers I had still sitting around and wanted to give everyone a heads up. (Thread is on the BST board) which will be updated with sales)
    With just a couple of exceptions, prices are at or below VCP average and include shipping.

I want all of this stuff gone by the end of the week.

HOF FB Rookies (All of these go in the HOF FB RC Registry)
    1951 Bowman Lou Creekmur PSA 7.5 $150
    1954 Bowman Doug Atkins PSA 6 $60
    1956 Topps Roosevelt Brown PSA 6.5 $15
    1956 Topps Stan Jones PSA 6 $15
    1959 Topps Jim Parker PSA 8 $50

1964 Philadelphia Jim Johnson PSA 8.5 $85
    1965 Philadelphia Paul Krause PSA 8 $90
    1965 Philadelphia Carl Eller PSA 8 $45
    1966 Philadelphia Gene Hickerson PSA 7 $25
    1967 Philadelhia Dave Wilcox PSA 8 $140

1971 Topps Roger Wehrli PSA 6 $5
    1971 Topps Roger Wehrli PSA 7 $12
    1972 Topps Ron Yary PSA 9 $275
    1972 Topps Emmitt Thomas PSA 9 (OC) (65/35 all the way around) $18
    1973 Topps Jim Langer PSA 8 $15

1984 Topps Jackie Slater PSA 9 $10
    1987 Topps Gary Zimmerman PSA 9 (x2) $15

Future HOF RC's (I have a ton of others not listed if you're building this set)
    I didn't have a chance to look up prices on all of these yet, but I'll be around VCP avg for any not priced

1963 Topps Jim Marshall PSA 8
    1964 Philadelphia Mick Tingelhoff PSA 8
    1965 Philadelphia Pat Fischer PSA 7 $15
    1967 Philadelphia Dave Robinson PSA 7 $12
    1967 Philadelphia Dave Robinson PSA 7 $12
    1967 Philadelphia Dave Robinson PSA 9(oc) $15
    1967 Philadelphia Chris Hanburger PSA 7 $20

1971 Topps Lemar Parrish PSA 7 $12
    1975 Topps Cliff Harris PSA 8 (oc) $5
    1976 Topps Randy Gradishar PSA 9 $50

1986 Topps Andre Reed PSA 8 $5
    1986 Toppss Bruce Smith PSA 8 $8
    1989 Pro Set Randall McDaniel PSA 9 $9
    1989 Pro Set Randall McDaniel PSA 10 $25

1991 Score Supp. Aeneas Williams PSA 10 $30
    1991 Pro Set John Randle PSA 9 $8
    1991 Pro Set John Randle PSA 10 $25
    1994 Playoff Larry Allen PSA 9 (x2) $40
    1995 SP Curtis Martin PSA 10 $180
    1997 Pacific Adam Vinatieri PSA 9 $45

Other stuff
    1971 Topps Alex Karras PSA 8 $12
    1964 Philadelphia Bill Brown (Vikings Reg) PSA 8 $40
    1963 Fleer Tom Sestak (Bills Reg) PSA 7 $15
    1970 Topps Bob Trumpy (Bengals Reg) PSA 7 $5
    1992 Pacific Ben Coates (Patriots Reg) PSA 10 $25
    1993 SP Larry Centers (Cardinals Reg) PSA 10 $20
    1986 Topps Ray Childress (Oilers Reg) PSA 9 $9
    1995 SP Ty Law (Patriots Reg) PSA 10 $25
    1989 Topps Traded Nate Newton (Cowboys Reg) PSA 9 (x2) $8
    1989 Pro Set Nate Newton (Cowboys Reg) PSA 9 (x2) $8

Baseball
    1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr PSA 8 $25
    1980 Topps Rickey Henderson PSA 8.5 $60
    1993 SP Derek Jeter PSA 8 $65
    1986 Topps Bret Saberhagen PSA 9 $5
    1990 Leaf Ken Griffey Jr PSA 9 $9
    1989 Upper Deck Gary Sheffield PSA 8 $3

• gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    So much for Pennington as MVP...

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Does that price include shipping? I'd be interested in the Gradishar RC. My email is jmdvm7@comcast.net
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭

<< <i>Does that price include shipping? I'd be interested in the Gradishar RC. My email is jmdvm7@comcast.net >>

jmdvm - Yes, that price includes shipping. However the Gradishar has been sold. List is being updated over on the BST board.
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Hope the 15 list comes out soon...I am getting inpatient. I have most of the RC's so I should be good. Picked up a signed RC of the 71 Dolphins member for $3.00 as well.

We should see it this week, shouldn't we?
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.

<< <i>Hope the 15 list comes out soon...I am getting inpatient. I have most of the RC's so I should be good. Picked up a signed RC of the 71 Dolphins member for $3.00 as well.

We should see it this week, shouldn't we? >>

Mark, I will have it today, hopefully within the next hour or so...

Also, All-Pro selections should be out on Saturday. That is the final piece of the puzzle before we vote on this years additions to Future HOF- Modern set.

Jason

• MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Posted at nfl.com today...I like the list.

Four first-year eligible players, John Randle, Shannon Sharpe, Bruce Smith, and Rod Woodson, are among the 17 finalists who will be considered for election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame when the Hall’s Board of Selectors meets in Tampa, Florida on Saturday, January 31, 2009.

Joining the four first-year eligible players, are nine other modern-era players, two contributors and two players nominated earlier by the Hall of Fame’s Senior Committee. The contributor finalists are former National Football League Commissioner Paul Tagliabue and Buffalo Bills founder/owner Ralph Wilson, Jr. The Senior Committee nominees, announced in August 2008, are former Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Bob Hayes and former Atlanta Falcons defensive end Claude Humphrey. The other modern-era player finalists include wide receiver Cris Carter; center Dermontti Dawson; defensive end Richard Dent; guard Russ Grimm; defensive tackle Cortez Kennedy; guard Bob Kuechenberg; guard Randall McDaniel; wide receiver Andre Reed; and linebacker Derrick Thomas.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
    I had no idea Dent played for the Colts. Then again, I wasn't a fan until I moved to the Indy area in 97.
    I think I have all the rookies except for Cortez Kennedy. That means he will probably get in....LOL..

Cris Carter – Wide Receiver – 1987-89 Philadelphia Eagles, 1990-2001 Minnesota Vikings, 2002 Miami Dolphins
    Dermontti Dawson – Center – 1988-2000 Pittsburgh Steelers
    Richard Dent – Defensive End – 1983-1993, 1995 Chicago Bears, 1994 San Francisco 49ers, 1996 Indianapolis Colts, 1997 Philadelphia Eagl
    Russ Grimm – Guard – 1981-1991 Washington Redskins
    Bob Hayes – Wide Receiver – 1965-1974 Dallas Cowboys, 1975 San Francisco 49ers
    Claude Humphrey – Defensive End – 1968-1978 Atlanta Falcons, 1979-1981 Philadelphia Eagles
    Cortez Kennedy – Defensive Tackle – 1990-2000 Seattle Seahawks
    Bob Kuechenberg – Guard – 1970-1984 Miami Dolphins
    Randall McDaniel – Guard – 1988-1999 Minnesota Vikings, 2000-01 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    John Randle – Defensive Tackle – 1990-2000 Minnesota Vikings, 2001-03 Seattle Seahawks
    Andre Reed – Wide Receiver – 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins
    Shannon Sharpe – Tight End – 1990-99, 2002-03 Denver Broncos, 2000-01 Baltimore Ravens
    Bruce Smith – Defensive End – 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000-03 Washington Redskins
    Paul Tagliabue – Commissioner – 1989-2006 National Football League
    Derrick Thomas – Linebacker – 1989-1999 Kansas City Chiefs
    Ralph Wilson – Team Founder/Owner – 1960-Present Buffalo Bills
    Rod Woodson – Cornerback/Safety – 1987-1996 Pittsburgh Steelers, 1997 San Francisco 49ers, 1998-2001 Baltimore Ravens, 2002-03 Oakland Raiders

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    I am so glad that Ken Stabler is not on the list. Hopefully it stays that way.
    No Ray Guy either, I think that pretty much wraps up his Modern chances..This was Stabler's last year as a modern, next year is Ray Guy's last.

Don't be too surprised if Stabler shows up as a Senior Selection within the next 3-4 years. He moves directly to the head of the QB group of Senior candidates...I think he will be the next offensive skill player to make it as a Senior Selection..Although I think next year will be an Offensive Lineman and a Linebacker...

I had 15 of the 17 right in my predictions..Missed on Stabler and Guy who were trumped by Cortez Kennedy and Ralph Wilson. Fairly surprised to see Kennedy jump into the Top 15, he's the only rookie not already on our Future HOFer set.

He was already going to be on the ballot for this years additions since he made the semifinals for the 2nd time, and making the final 15 should certainly help his chances of being added to that set.

Jason

Al "Ox" Wistert for Class of 2010!!! Let's start the campaign today!!!

<< <i>Al "Ox" Wistert for Class of 2010!!! Let's start the campaign today!!! >>

It'll be a couple of years before we see another pre-war guy...Class of 2012 maybe?? Should have been Wistert or Dilweg before Marshall Goldberg...Religion should not play a part in HOF merits.

Jason
  • I think Ray Guy should have been on that list instead of a few of those finalists.
    Hopefully next year he'll make it.....

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
    Ray Guy gets hosed every time. Too bad
  • Raiders took a beating this round, with Stabler, Guy and Hayes all missing the cut. Anyone besides me think the current state of the franchise is hurting the chances of these guys?

Jasen

<< <i>Raiders took a beating this round, with Stabler, Guy and Hayes all missing the cut. Anyone besides me think the current state of the franchise is hurting the chances of these guys?

Jasen >>

No, I think it's Matt Millen's fault!

W-I-S-T-E-R-T!!!

<< <i>Raiders took a beating this round, with Stabler, Guy and Hayes all missing the cut. Anyone besides me think the current state of the franchise is hurting the chances of these guys?

Jasen >>

Actually that was the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw no Stabler or Guy or Hayes...lol

I think it definitely plays a part..Nothing you can put your finger on, put maybe subconsciously, much like off the field things can hold a guy back. It was quite clear last year that Andre Tippett got a much stronger push because of the Patriots and their undefeated run to the Super Bowl....Keep an eye on the teams who make it this year..If they have any finalists will be interesting to see what the chatter on that player is and if it is similar to what happened with Tippett last year.

Specifically Dawson, Randle and McDaniel...Steelers and or/Vikings going all the way...It wouldnt be surprising to see Rod Woodson or Carter to go in...But if the Vikings go, there could be a push to "fix" the past Viking snubs and put 2 Vikings in...

Jason
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I'll go out on a limb and predict the new HOF class will be

Cris Carter
    Bob Hayes
    Bob Kuechenberg
    Shannon Sharpe
    Bruce Smith
    Rod Woodson

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • PubliusPublius Posts: 1,306 ✭✭

Jasen >>

With that kind of reasoning, theres no way Cortez kennedy (seahawk) makes it in this year either. image

I think both seniors, Claude "who names there kid Claude anyway?" Humphrey and Hayes get in, with these 5

Smith
    Sharpe
    Kuechy
    Carter
    Dicky Dent
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually that was the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw no Stabler or Guy or Hayes... >>

Jason, just out of curiosity, where do you come down on Cliff Branch?

I would like to see Keuchenberg get over the hump this year. I would also love to see Grimmy make the cut, but two O linemen in a single year probably isn't in the cards.

<< <i>Specifically Dawson, Randle and McDaniel...Steelers and or/Vikings going all the way...It wouldnt be surprising to see Rod Woodson or Carter to go in...But if the Vikings go, there could be a push to "fix" the past Viking snubs and put 2 Vikings in... >>

Jason, Vikings are already out....

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!

<< <i>

<< <i>Specifically Dawson, Randle and McDaniel...Steelers and or/Vikings going all the way...It wouldnt be surprising to see Rod Woodson or Carter to go in...But if the Vikings go, there could be a push to "fix" the past Viking snubs and put 2 Vikings in... >>

Jason, Vikings are already out.... >>

Darn, you beat me to it. image

Jason knows his history but his short term memory is starting to quiver a bit.

<< <i>

Jason, Vikings are already out.... >>

Sorry, been a long week...I guess since I picked the Vikings to win, I was still dreaming..lol

Jason

<< <i>

<< <i>Actually that was the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw no Stabler or Guy or Hayes... >>

Jason, just out of curiosity, where do you come down on Cliff Branch?

I would like to see Keuchenberg get over the hump this year. I would also love to see Grimmy make the cut, but two O linemen in a single year probably isn't in the cards. >>

Let me start by saying, i try to make informed guesses based on where I feel the HOF Committee's votes have gone and will go. I do my best to keep my personal beliefs on players out of the equation when predicting who will make it and who won't.

That being said, next year is Cliff Branch's last as a modern candidate. He actually made the 25 Semifinalists back in 2004, but never got any further. In general, the WR's from the 70's are viewed harshly by the HOF committee. It took Swann and Stallworth forever to get in..Drew Pearson, Harold Carmichael and Branch were the other most decorated WRs of the 70's and they can't even get close.

Branch has no shot as a modern, much like Drew Pearson, but maybe one day as a senior. I would guess that day is very far off though. At least another 5+ years before the committee even considers another WR and you have a guy like Otis Taylor still out there who's been within the final 15 Seniors the last few years already.

My personal feeling on Branch is that he is a borderline HOFer. So it doesn't surprise me that he hasn't been elected as we can't even get the Cris Carter's and Andre Reed's in at this point...

Jason
    My predictions for the Class of 2009:

My locks:
    Bruce Smith
    Rod Woodson
    Cris Carter

Also think the 2 senior get in:
    Bob Hayes
    Claude Humphrey

So that's 5 of the 7 slots with 2 modern opening left. At this point it could really be any 2 of the guys listed below. I haven't heard much chatter yet at all, but I'll give my take on each.

Only one of these 2 Offensive Guards are possible:
    Bob Kuechenberg
    Randall McDaniel
    I wouldn't think they will select 2 OG's in the same year. This being Kuechenberg's last as I modern I think that helps him, but IMO McDaniel is more deserving. Toss up between these 2, but also possible neither gets in.

If Claude Humphrey wasn't one of the Seniors, I'd really like the chances of one of these 2 players getting selected:
    Derrick Thomas
    Richard Dent
    But with 2 pass rushers already going in Bruce Smith and Humphrey, I think both of these guys will get pushed back another year. I think they are both deserving and will both get in at some point.

If think for sure one of these 3 guys will be elected.
    Shannon Sharpe
    Paul Tagliabue
    Ralph Wilson
    If neither of the OG's above gets a strong push 2 of these 3 could make it. Other than Woodson and Smith, Sharpe's name has been mentioned the most as a 2009 HOFer by the media. I think it does help that he is on TV every week and stays in the front of voters minds. Tagliabue is always a possibility. The last couple of years, he's had some harsh nagatives thrown his way in the HOF meetings that kept him out. If/when those things cease, he WILL be elected. Could be this year, could be 2012. HOF Committee hasn't put an owner in since 2000. Wilson is the odds on choice to be the next owner elected, so if Sharpe doesn't get pushed (and IMO he should not be a first ballot guy) and Tags still has his vocal critics, Wilson could slip in.

Keep in mind, as shown the last few years the committee LOVES the longshots. Fred Dean, Tippett, Wehrli. Almost going out of their way to find a much overlooked/unexpected guy. Don't be schocked if its Cortez Kennedy...lol..Also won;t be shocked if they elect only a Class of 6 instead of 7. The next few years after this will be stacked with first ballot guys, so I could definitely see them being conservative on the borderline guys.

Just my opinions of course,
    Jason
    Anyone have a nice PSA 8 Hayes rookie for sale?