Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Whats the best way to post scans? Seems I can only figure how to post as a link with 50KB max size. How does one post much larger scans directly? Thanks, and I'll post some beauties. >>

Easiest way is to use Photobucket. Upload them there and just post the web link to the pic here. These must be the 55 All-Americans recently opened from cello?

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Jim, If you want, you can email them to me and I will host them for you.

davemri@yahoo.com

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    thanks Dave, but I need to figure this out for other areas to post, as well. Do I have to use photobucket, or is there a way to do it from your own hard drive? 50kb is nothing.

fyi, I also have a Nevers 7 AA on ebay now, and I likely have several Hein 7's tucked away.
  • Options
    I use imageevent.com to host my cards. I pay $25 per year and it looks like THIS

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    Absolutely beautiful. Well done.
  • Options
    Very nice Dave!

Thanks for sharing......
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Does it matter if Kennedy was in the regular 1990 Score set (and was he in that set?) as far as using the Supplemental card for the RC set?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options

<< <i>I use imageevent.com to host my cards. I pay $25 per year and it looks like THIS >>

Another option you might want to look into is Google's Picasa. It's free up to 1024mb. I recently started the long tedious job of re-scanning and cataloging. I have 104 cards uploaded thus far and that's about 4% of my free space. They also have a free download to manage your pictures and easily keep the website in sync. Here's what the web album looks like:

My Football Cards

Only 1500 more cards to go... image

• Options
    That looks nice as well. I may have to look into it. Just not sure it's worth it to save $2 a month to switch all my scans over. THanks for the link

Can you modify your album much as far as background colors or other features? Also, Does it give you the HTML tags to put on ebay or link to the boards?

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>That looks nice as well. I may have to look into it. Just not sure it's worth it to save $2 a month to switch all my scans over. THanks for the link

Can you modify your album much as far as background colors or other features? Also, Does it give you the HTML tags to put on ebay or link to the boards?

Dave >>

Dave,

I can't find where to change the background but that doesn't mean it's not there. It does give you HTML tags both for linking and embedding. Also, it give you embedding tags for a slide show. You can add your own tags to each card like RC or HOF and filter by just those. It has RSS feeds also so that people can subscribe to you album and be notified when you add new cards.

As far as switching over, it's painless. If you have the images on your harddrive, you can use the downloaded image utility to upload an album with just a button click. After that images you add to the folder on your harddrive will be automatically uploaded to the web.

Here is a link to the software

Brian
  • Options
    Question on 1961 Topps Bleed through.

How bad does PSA kill the grade for the blue bleed? Have a great centered, awesome cornered 1961 Henry Jordan with blue bleed.

Let me know, Bill
  • Options
    Do you have a scan handy?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    With just one more season of play left before the HOF Committee selects the 2000's Team of the Decade, I have calculated the top All-Pro vote getters so far this decade..I present to you the 2000's Team of the Decade FIRST TEAM..Which is what will be listed on the Registry some time next year..Some spots I think are locks because of overwhelming votes, some others are still up for grabs...Will list other possibilities in parenthesis beside the guys who could fall out of being the top vote getters. I'm basing this on All-Pro voting 2000-2008. Total number of VOTES received.

QB- Peyton Manning
    RB- LaDanian Tomlinson
    RB- Marshall Faulk (Shaun Alexander, Adrian Peterson)
    WR- Marvin Harrison
    WR- Terrell Owens (Randy Moss)
    TE- Tony Gonzalez
    OT- Walter Jones
    OT- Jon Ogden
    OG- Alan Faneca
    OG- Steve Hutchinson
    OC- Kevin Mawae (Jeff Saturday)
    DE- Jason Taylor (Dwight Freeney)
    DE- Michael Strahan (Julius Peppers)
    DT- Richard Seymour (Albert Haynesworth, LaRoi Glover)
    DT- Kevin Williams (Jamal Williams, Kris Jenkins)
    OLB- Derrick Brooks
    OLB- DaMarcus Ware (Joey Porter, James Harrison, Lance Briggs, Keith Bullock, Shawne Merriman)
    ILB- Ray Lewis
    ILB- Brian Urlacher
    CB- Champ Bailey
    CB- Ronde Barber
    S- Ed Reed
    S- Brain Dawkins (Troy Polamalu, Bob Sanders)
    K- Adam Vinatieri (Neil Rackers, Rob Bironas, David Akers, Matt Stover)
    P- Shane Lecler (Todd Sauerbrun, Brian Moorman)

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Here is the scan of Bills Jordan that he wanted me to post for comments. I honestly think, being this bad, that it would get a PD qualifier. I dont think it could get higher than a 6 if no qualifers requested.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I've never seen "bleed-through" like that before on that issue. Usually the "bleed-through" is more surface related from contact with the back of another card. Is there any chance that it's some other sort of stain?
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    That bleed thru is actually fairly common on that issue. Many jordans have it...
    the card will get the NQ.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

<< <i>That bleed thru is actually fairly common on that issue. Many jordans have it...
    the card will get the NQ. >>

If that's the case, then I stand corrected...
  • Options
    Jay, are you saying that it would not get a qualifier?

• Options
    let me clarify..yes it would get the qualifier.
    I have a few 61 jordans that are psa 7 or 8 quality but would also get the qualifier...so I don't send them. Some bleed thru is OK....but imo this card has a tad more than would be allowed.
    I have noticed this more on the red background cards more so than other colors. Someone out there doing the 61 set may be able to help you further.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does it matter if Kennedy was in the regular 1990 Score set (and was he in that set?) as far as using the Supplemental card for the RC set? >>

Kennedy was indeed in the regular Score set, which makes his Score Supplemental card his second Score issue from '90, and not a true rookie card. Most people view the Score Supplemental as the key rookie because it's in the more valuable set, but rookie card purists like myself know it is not a true rookie. I view '90 Fleer Update as the best true rookies for Kennedy and Seau, because it's the most valuable first issue for each. But I am in the minority on this one image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Does it matter if Kennedy was in the regular 1990 Score set (and was he in that set?) as far as using the Supplemental card for the RC set? >>

Kennedy was indeed in the regular Score set, which makes his Score Supplemental card his second Score issue from '90, and not a true rookie card. Most people view the Score Supplemental as the key rookie because it's in the more valuable set, but rookie card purists like myself know it is not a true rookie. I view '90 Fleer Update as the best true rookies for Kennedy and Seau, because it's the most valuable first issue for each. But I am in the minority on this one image >>

Would the Seau and Kennedy Action Packed RCs be the most valuable? Leroy Butler has both Action Packed and Fleer Update from 1990, and it is the Action Packed which is more valuable.

Maybe because of they are condition sensitive? Anyone have stats on how much Fleer Update RCs sell for vs. Action Packer rookies from 1990? I know the Emmitt Smit APs sell higher than the Fleer Updates as well...

Jason
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    The 1990 Action Packed were much tougher to find in top condition than the other sets from that year. The fact that many people didn't like the embossed style kept them from being more popular. They were also much more expensive retail than the others...
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Actually, here are some comparisons using BGS 9.5 and Junior Seau(not enough 10's sold, since they are much more rare)..Since Seau and Kennedy cards are in the exact same situation, I think this is a fair comparison...

Junior Seau

1990 (# 38) Action Packed Rookie Update

BGS 9.5 avg price $19.46

Junior Seau

1990 (# U102) Fleer Update

BGS 9.5 avg price $14.95

Junior Seau

1990 (# 65T ) Score Supplemental

BGS 9.5 avg price $23.21

Emmitt Smith has the most PSA graded, so shows a larger sampling. HUGE difference..

Emmitt Smith RC

1990 (# 34) Action Packed Rookie Update

PSA 10 avg price $130.01

Emmitt Smith

1990 (# U40) Fleer Update

PSA 10 avg price $28.03

You can argue that the Score Supp. is not a true rookie, but you can't argue that it is the more valuable/desirable card. And if you want to look for a card you consider a "true" rookie, it certainly is not the Fleer Update on any level..

Jason

• Options
    I've always been under the impression that Emmitt Smith Fleer Update rookies were more valuable than Action Packed, so I just applied that to other cards in the 2 sets. If Action Packed really is more valuable than Fleer Update (and it appears that may be the case), then that would be my choice for key rookie cards for Seau and Kennedy.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>I've always been under the impression that Emmitt Smith Fleer Update rookies were more valuable than Action Packed, so I just applied that to other cards in the 2 sets. If Action Packed really is more valuable than Fleer Update (and it appears that may be the case), then that would be my choice for key rookie cards for Seau and Kennedy. >>

The Seau Score Supp. is already on the Future HOF RC set..The Kennedy Score Supp. just got voted on last week:

Cortez Kennedy
    1990 Score Supplemental-14
    1990 Fleer Update-1

I guess I'm just not sure why this issue is still being discussed. These are all very cheap/low dollar cards, even in PSA 10...Of course, you are free to purchase and own all of these cards if you so desire. As far the Registry sets go, I'm not sure that I am aware of a better process than popular vote. Would you rather force the majority of collectors to purchase cards they do not prefer?

Just trying to understand the thought process or the goal of continuing this discussion. For me, the Score Supp's are all the most valuable, and have proven to be the most popular. That's the card I want of each player, as do the majority of collectors of these rookie card sets. I get it that a few "purists" don't think they are rookies..Don't most of those same "purists" believe that the USFL cards are XRC's? And also not true rookies?

Jason
  • Options
    I agree with Jason. Putting to a vote which card goes into the set seems the fairest way. In the case of these Updated or Traded Rc's, we've come into agreement that these should be considered the Rc card to add. The only question (using the J. Seau as an example), is which card to add.
    IMO, the Action packed card shoudln't even be considered because I don't feel it's a mainstream card. To me, I always felt the it was more of a gimmick set, but that's only my opinion.
    I like consistency. Since other RC's being used are from the Score Supplemental set, I feel the future choices should be from the same set.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    I should make it absolutely clear, Jason, that I'm not trying to lobby for any changes. I'm fine with the sets staying the way they are. It would be impossible to get everyone to be in agreement on every single card that belongs/doesn't belong in a set.

And as I've said before, this works out great for someone like me, because I can pursue what I consider to be the true rookies for Seau, Kennedy, etc. without having to pay a set registry premium.

As for why this came up, I was responding to Gregmo's question.
  • Options

<< <i>I should make it absolutely clear, Jason, that I'm not trying to lobby for any changes. I'm fine with the sets staying the way they are. It would be impossible to get everyone to be in agreement on every single card that belongs/doesn't belong in a set.

And as I've said before, this works out great for someone like me, because I can pursue what I consider to be the true rookies for Seau, Kennedy, etc. without having to pay a set registry premium.

As for why this came up, I was responding to Gregmo's question. >>

Gotcha..His post was from a week ago, last Sunday. We'd since had this discussion in the 2009 Modern Additions thread and thought the consensus had been reached via vote. I guess that's where my confusion came from...

Jason
  • Options
    Just listed a pop three PSA 9 '71 Charlie Sanders rookie if anyone's interested:

PSA 9 Charlie Sanders
  • Options
    I'm with frank...I can't stand action packed. Not a big fan of the newer cards anyways.

If curt warner wins the super bowl....does that make him kinda close to a hof'er?

great games yeaterday. Did anyone else think edgarin james is 100% washed up. Totally ineffective....a if he is carrying an anvil on his back. I think big ben has some tarkenton in him. Very well done.

I'm gonna pick the steelers.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    If the Cards win the Super Bowl, I am ready to put Warner in the HOF. He got robbed of the MVP award this year, but 2 MVPs and 2 Super Bowl wins with two different teams would do it for me. There are QBs already in the HOF who did not accomplish what Warner has.
  • Options

<< <i>If the Cards win the Super Bowl, I am ready to put Warner in the HOF. He got robbed of the MVP award this year, but 2 MVPs and 2 Super Bowl wins with two different teams would do it for me. There are QBs already in the HOF who did not accomplish what Warner has. >>

I don't think he even has to win it..No QB who's ever led his team to 3 Super Bowls is not in or heading to the HOF. Not to mention the story of doing with a Cardinals franchise that hadn't won anything in 50+ years...

Warner sealed his fate with yesterdays performance. Win or lose in the Super Bowl, the argument FOR his induction is impossible to overlook.

Just my opinion of course,
    Jason
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The 1990 Action Packed were much tougher to find in top condition than the other sets from that year. The fact that many people didn't like the embossed style kept them from being more popular. They were also much more expensive retail than the others... >>

I agree they are condition sensitive but Pro Set was even worse due to the stock they used.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options

<< <i>

Kennedy was indeed in the regular Score set, which makes his Score Supplemental card his second Score issue from '90, and not a true rookie card. Most people view the Score Supplemental as the key rookie because it's in the more valuable set, but rookie card purists like myself know it is not a true rookie. I view '90 Fleer Update as the best true rookies for Kennedy and Seau, because it's the most valuable first issue for each. But I am in the minority on this one image >>

I've always felt the same way. I do understand the registry's reasoning based on value though.

title.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm with frank...I can't stand action packed. Not a big fan of the newer cards anyways.

If curt warner wins the super bowl....does that make him kinda close to a hof'er?

great games yeaterday. Did anyone else think edgarin james is 100% washed up. Totally ineffective....a if he is carrying an anvil on his back. I think big ben has some tarkenton in him. Very well done.

I'm gonna pick the steelers. >>

It's KURT Warner.....Curt was a RB for the Seachickens back in the '80s. The "no respect" mantra now heads to Tampa, where we "can't win on the east coast".....GO CARDS!!!!

Jasen
  • Options
    BTW, if anyone has a line on good seats for the Super Bowl for under $2k apiece, please let me know. I need 3.

Jasen
  • Options

<< <i>I'm with frank...I can't stand action packed. Not a big fan of the newer cards anyways.

I'm gonna pick the steelers. >>

I thought Edge has played very well in the playoffs. He has been effective both running and receiving. Edge knows this might be his last shot at a ring so I imagine he 's going to be playing very hard. He'll give an Ottis Anderson type effort b/c of what is on the line.

title.
  • Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Go Cards, I would love to see Warner win another one. He seems like such a humble, family guy that you can't really root against him. Especially in this day of whiney, pampered, ungrateful, spoiled athletes. He just does his job and wins.

Doc
  • Options
    Finally starting to hear some HOF grumblings...Based on the chatter I heard this past weekend, I would put my money on Derrick Thomas and Richard Dent NOT getting the votes this year. I'd say 95% certainty on that.

My predictions are shaping up like this...

99.999% Locks:
    Bruce Smith
    Rod Woodson
    Cris Carter
    Bob Hayes
    Claude Humphrey

Possibles for final 2 spots, ranking them in the order I THINK they are stacking up:
    Randall McDaniel...I'd give McDaniel about a 75% shot right now...He has the best resume of any of the "non-skill" players...100% he make the cut down to 10...
    Ralph Wilson...50/50..Really depends on them electing 6 or 7...Oldest Owner in the league, kept the Bills in a small market so long, I think there will be a push by the other owners...
    Shannon Sharpe...Tony Gonzalez breaking his records so quickly will probably make him wait until next year..40%
    Paul Tagliabue...Still no CBA protecting the future of the league...Still think they will make him wait until all of that is resolved..25%
    Bob Kuechenberg...Without Dr. Z fighting hard for him in his last shot, I think he will unfortunately fall to the Senior pool..10%
    Dermontti Dawson..Steelers in the Super Bowl probably gets him a few votes, although I don't see him passing McDaniel...Plus, Rod Woodson is a Steeler and a lock...5%

I'm still thinking that we will only get 6 elected this year, but I wouldn't mind Wilson going in. If Al Davis is there, so should Wilson. Without a clear cut 7th player that spot is open for him..Will be interesting to see if all the final 5 modern candidates get the 80% this year...

Will post more updates if, when I hear anything.
    Jason
  • Options
    When is the announcement? If I remember correctly, It was the day before the SB last year?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>When is the announcement? If I remember correctly, It was the day before the SB last year? >>

Yep, same every year.

Jason
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    looks like someone complained about the Seau RC card.

here is the email i just got.

Hello,

It has been brought to our attention by a fellow registry member that there is a card listed in error in the Football Future HOF Rookie Players – Modern set. The card in question is the 1990 SCORE SUPPLEMENTAL #65T JUNIOR SEAU. This is not one of Junior Seau’s rookie cards.

There are 5 cards that are his true rookie cards.

1990 ACTION PACKED ROOKIE UPDATE #38

1990 FLEER UPDATE #102

1990 PRO SET #673

1990 SCORE #302

1990 TOPPS #381

We will be removing the card that does not qualify. In consideration to all participating registrants we would like to poll you on which card you would like us to replace it with.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Just want to let you guys know that I am not the one who contacted PSA on this matter. Not now, and at no time in the past. I know it sucks to collect a card and have it ripped from a set. Sorry.
  • Options
    Wasn't a complaint. Issue arose due to the Kennedy card and PSA's refusal to accept the Score Supp card as they are now following lock step in the Beckett Rookie Encyclopedia...Which mirrors Andy's thoughts from earlier in this thread.

Once I got that e-mail, I asked if the Seau card listed (Score Supp) would be eligible for the actual HOF RC set down the road. The answer I was given was no. So I asked that they go ahead and remove it. Didn;t really make sense to be to keep the Seau Score Supp in the set if it wasn't going to transfer to the HOF RC set 5 years after he retires.

They will NOT however remove either of the cards from the Team of the 1990s sets...Said those sets have been listed for too long to make that change.

Jason
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    well at least they are staying with those cards in the other sets. does this also mean that the emmitt smith rc is leaving as well, or does it get to stay??
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>well at least they are staying with those cards in the other sets. does this also mean that the emmitt smith rc is leaving as well, or does it get to stay?? >>

No, it stays because its listed in the Beckett Rookie Card Encyclopedia. The others aren't "true rookies" because they have a regular set score card and Emmitt doesn't. Shag explained it better earlier in the thread.

Hopefully no one questions the USFL card in the HOF RC set. Because according to Beckett, those are "XRC" which also are not considered true rookies...I can see them being deleted/changed down the line if someone complains or questions it.

Jason
  • Options
    Well all this crap continues to flow downward.....
    Why can't PSA just leave it alone. Who determined beckett to be king of the world anyways.
    God I'm pissed
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

<< <i>Well all this crap continues to flow downward.....
    Why can't PSA just leave it alone. Who determined beckett to be king of the world anyways.
    God I'm pissed >>

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!

I made very similar statement to Gayle wondering why PSA is using Beckett as the authority in the first place..I own the Rookie Card Encyclopedia and it's about as accurate as an other Beckett publication...Which is to say NOT VERY..lol

But it's not Gayle's fault. Someone at PSA determined that they would use that book to determine which cards to use and which not in rookie sets from here on out. The concept is a good one, which is to be consistent with cards chosen as they had not been in the past...But I think they could have used a better source.

Prime example, the "Rookie Player Sets" are being comprised of ONLY the cards listed in the Beckett encyclopedia. A set that I requested and collect (Tony Boselli) was listed WITHOUT his 1995 Finest RC....The reason? Because the encyclopedia didn't list it...Makes sense right...

Jason
  • Options
    What a load of crap.....image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Who determined beckett to be king of the world anyways. >>

James Beckett did. King James pronounced himself all that is holy and the knower of all. Heck, haven't you read any of the crap that they say about their grading service? Yes, King James IS the hobby, just ask him.