Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    I knew you would come through Jason. THanks.

Man, Favre is a beast today!!

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Any chance this would get a psa 7, or is it stuck at psa 5-6??

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    Being oc both ways and touches on the corners...esp the lower left keeps this at a 6 on a good day. 5 on a bad day.
    still nice card and worth grading.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Any chance this would get a psa 7, or is it stuck at psa 5-6??

image >>

The centering falls well within the parameters of a PSA 7 (I've seen PSA 8's with the same centering), but the concern would be the corner wear. Appears to be more of a PSA 6 than a PSA 7 in that respect. Unless there's a crease, I doubt that it would grade lower than a PSA 6.

** Edited to add content
  • Options
    Scott, did you get my PM?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Torry Holt surpassed 800 catches and 12,000 yards yesterday. I have submitted the request for him to be added to the All-Time WR set. Not sure if they will need to do a poll for it or not. Shouldn't be a question as to which card is his best rookie (none others are even close), and the 800/12,000 is the automatic addition.

Either way, heads up for anyone who collects that set and doesn't own his rookie yet...

Jason

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Jason,
    Any other receivers close?
  • Options

<< <i>Jason,
    Any other receivers close? >>

Won't be any others this year..For the future, here are the closest guys:

Joey Galloway TB 677 10,646
    Muhsin Muhammad CAR 764 10,221
    Derrick Mason BAL 718 9,110
    Amani Toomer NYG 633 9,060
    Hines Ward PIT 735 8,906
    Chad Johnson CIN 570 8,481

For RBs who need 10,000 yards, we could get a new addition later this year in Jamal Lewis..

Shaun Alexander N/A 9,429
    Jamal Lewis CLE 9,340
    Ahman Green HOU 8,779
    Clinton Portis WAS 8,084

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

<< <i>Scott, did you get my PM? >>

Yes. Still deliberating. Some call it procrastinating, but I call it deliberating... image
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    my 1984 reggie white psa 10 consignment ends in a couple days and i could really use the cash so feel free to bid away.

thanks

MHCC ends 10-1
  • Options
    Nice card. hope you have lots of last minute bidders...
    Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Nice card. hope you have lots of last minute bidders...
    Dave >>

From the current high bidders perspective, I do not...image

Sorry..lol
    Jason
  • Options
    LOL.....Jason, You just sold a psa 10 White didn't you?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>LOL.....Jason, You just sold a psa 10 White didn't you? >>

I owned one a couple of years ago...So I guess it depends how you define "just"..lol

I did "just" sell my PSA 9 Bradshaw RC a few days ago though...Sad to see it go, currently on the lookout for a PSA 8 to replace it...

Jason

• Options
    Time flies.... Seems recent that you sold the White.

Do you have plans for your extra $ for downgrading some of your cards?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Time flies.... Seems recent that you sold the White.

Do you have plans for your extra $ for downgrading some of your cards? >>

Not particularly..Just adding it to the retirement fund at the moment...lol

Jason
  • Options
    Dont put it in the stock market! LOL..

Cardboard is a much better investment now a days...

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Dont put it in the stock market! LOL..

Cardboard is a much better investment now a days... >>

I actually cashed out all of my stock and mutual funds last year and put everything into tax-free municipal bonds...Good timing there I guess...lol

My current downsizing plan is really not money related...More of just the boredom of never being able to find any cards I needed..Now as I sell one that I am willing to go down a grade on, I can buy back the lower grade that I am perfectly happy with and bank the difference.

I'm not done buying cards by any means...I've probably spent more this year than i have made selling cards..But it always feels better/easier when that cost is offset by sales profits..

Jason

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any of you guys the winner of that PSA 7 Ollie Matson Rookie last night on the Bay? I foolishly thought my $810 bid was going to have a slight chance image The thing sold for a neat $1200+
  • Options
    No but keep your dirty paws off the PSA 6.....image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Hola Gents! I've been outta the loop for a few months tending to real life...but I'm starting to get that old feeling back, got a little itch in my ass if ya know what I mean. I see VCP has raised rates through the roof so I don't think I'll be rejoining them anytime soon. Few questions for you guys to get me caught up...if you don't mind. I guess first, how's the market doing? Prices climbing or falling a little? Has the half-point system made much of a difference? I just purchased my first card back on the wagon..or is it off the wagon? 1957 Berry RC NM 7 for $195....I have no idea if that was a good price or a little high, don't care really. Think someone on these boards was selling it. Anywho, I'm prolly looking for Jason to answer this with a long overanalytical perspective that will appease my curiousity and get me up to speed. Lastly, what happened to envoy? I say Good day!
  • Options

<< <i>I just purchased my first card back on the wagon..or is it off the wagon? 1957 Berry RC NM 7 for $195.... >>

Welcome back Jason!

The last Berry went for $230+, but that was a little above the norm. I just bought one minutes ago for $179 with an additional 30% off using the Microsoft Live discount. I'm tempted to add a few more items, but some of the BIN prices are still too high even after a 30% discount.

Josh (envoy98) is probably lurking.

I'm sure you'll get the full update in a matter of hours...
  • Options

<< <i>Hola Gents! I've been outta the loop for a few months tending to real life...but I'm starting to get that old feeling back, got a little itch in my ass if ya know what I mean. I see VCP has raised rates through the roof so I don't think I'll be rejoining them anytime soon. Few questions for you guys to get me caught up...if you don't mind. I guess first, how's the market doing? Prices climbing or falling a little? Has the half-point system made much of a difference? I just purchased my first card back on the wagon..or is it off the wagon? 1957 Berry RC NM 7 for $195....I have no idea if that was a good price or a little high, don't care really. Think someone on these boards was selling it. Anywho, I'm prolly looking for Jason to answer this with a long overanalytical perspective that will appease my curiousity and get me up to speed. Lastly, what happened to envoy? I say Good day! >>

Jason,

We missed you man! Josh sold all his stuff, so we are all wondering what the over/under line is for when he is going to be sucked back in. As for the market, I started to think that the economy had hit the card market as I have picked up a few good deals on eBay (Baugh 6, Willie Brown 8), but then the Matson 7 blew that theory all to hell. Again, welcome back, although feel free to stay away from the stuff I am bidding on, you don't want to come back too fast. ;-)

Jasen
  • Options
    Not the greatest, but with the Mircrosoft Live program and the escalation of Jim Brown RC's lately, I couldn't pass this up for $230 (after 30% cashback)...

I figure this will do until I find a really, really nice PSA 7, and it should be able to return a little profit, too.
  • Options
    What is this 30% off stuff with the Microsoft program? Kinda pissed I missed out. What do I do, where do I go?
  • Options
    PM me for details... You haven't missed it, yet. And don't worry, I've already had 3 other PM's wanting to know what's going on and they should be garnering some savings, too.

So tonight, with the rebate, I bought a 1957 PSA 7 Ray Berry for $125 and a 1958 PSA 6 Jim Brown for $230. And I still have 4 more purchases I can make with the discount...
  • Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    What is the deal with this Microsoft Live thing, I have not heard about it. Can someone please clue me in??

Thanks,
    Doc
  • Options
    First of the month, so here is my current Top 10 wantlist:

1933 Sport Kings Grange 5
    1952 Bowman large Gifford 7
    1952 Bowman large Stydahar 7
    1954 Bowman Atkins 7
    1961 Fleer Maynard 8
    1963 Topps Wood 8
    1964 Topps Buchanan 8
    1973 Topps Dierdorf 9
    1973 Topps Youngblood 9
    1977 Topps Haynes 9

Let me know if you guys have any of these available, thanks to all those who have helped out!

Jasen
  • Options
    So whats up with this 30 % discount???
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them-Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Do any of you guys know how this works? I have a card I want to BIN and get the 30 % off, but I'm skeptical. I was reading the other thread but still dont quite understand it.

Here are someone's intructions.
    Go to http://www.live.com
    Type in "Topps" in the search engine.
    Look for a link to Ebay saying you can get XX% cashback on Ebay.
    You need to use Buy It Now and pay within 7 days.

Is it really that easy. I would hate to BIN a card for $650 and not be able to use the discount. When paying with paypal, do you have to put a coupon code in?

Here are the ebay terms
    http://pages.ebay.com/cashbackoffer/terms.html

The last sentence in roman numeral iv says.........You may not redeem any Cashback Rewards until you have earned a total of $5.00 in Cashback Rewards;

What does this mean? How do I earn $5 in cashback rewards?

This just falls under the category......IF it sounds too good to be true..It probably is..

Any help appreicaited.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    First you have to create an account for yourself at msn.
    Once you have an account you can only get the 30% off on the items you see listed when you go thru the MSN search,
    They will have a little gold icon at the top of the listing and will pop up when you click on the listing.
    I bought a Bart Starr RC last night and it worked for me.
    The only catch is you have to wait 60 days to have access to the refund. They say this is to guard against people bringing the item back for a refund.
  • Options

<< <i>First you have to create an account for yourself at msn.
    Once you have an account you can only get the 30% off on the items you see listed when you go thru the MSN search,
    They will have a little gold icon at the top of the listing and will pop up when you click on the listing.
    I bought a Bart Starr RC last night and it worked for me.
    The only catch is you have to wait 60 days to have access to the refund. They say this is to guard against people bringing the item back for a refund. >>

Yep..And it also will show you right before you click the "Commit to Buy" button on ebay exactly how much cash back you will receive. If you don't see that, the item is not eligible. Seller has to accept PayPal, and you have to use PayPal for payment. Also must be a Buy It Now.

Worked for me last year, or earlier this year, or whenever the last time they offered this with no problem. Not as easy as BigCrumbs, but 30% is much bigger return..I think the max you can get back on any one item is $200 though. Otherwise, there are some really high dollar cards i probably would have already picked up if I could get $500 back.

Jason
  • Options
    So you pay full price for the item and then get the 30% back after 60 days?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>So you pay full price for the item and then get the 30% back after 60 days? >>

Correct.

Jason
  • Options
    That doesnt make it quite as appealing to me. I just want to get the 30% off at checkout and be done with it. Oh well, Guess my Thorpe will have to wait...

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Also someone said your max is $200 off per transaction
  • Options

<< <i>Not the greatest, but with the Mircrosoft Live program and the escalation of Jim Brown RC's lately, I couldn't pass this up for $230 (after 30% cashback)...

I figure this will do until I find a really, really nice PSA 7, and it should be able to return a little profit, too. >>

Well, the wait didn't last too long. After watching the last 5 PSA 7's close from $717 to almost $1200, I was quite surprised to win a decent PSA 7 tonight for $544.

It will be interesting to see if this is the beginning of the economic situation rolling into sportscards or if this auction was just a fluke. Either way, I've got an extra PSA 6, now if anyone has a need...
  • Options
    Scott, PM sent.
  • Options
    I finally landed a PSA 6 Matson last night. Link

Down to needing 2

33 SK Thorpe
    48 Bowman Turner

Now if Scott will just get back with me about his turner......image

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I finally landed a PSA 6 Matson last night. Link

Down to needing 2

33 SK Thorpe
    48 Bowman Turner

Now if Scott will just get back with me about his turner......image

Dave >>

Yeah, but if you get the Thorpe, I can ask for a King's ransom... Still deliberating (actually trying to find another for you as mine is an ugly one for the grade)... If all else fails and you're down to just the Turner, I'll stop deliberating... It's not like its a PSA 5 Nagurski... image
  • Options
    So I've been waiting several years to land a psa 6 large matson.....See the above post by me. Then after landing it, Dan decides to throw this beauty on. I wish this one was on a couple weeks ago. Oh well, win some, lose some. This is an absolutly beautiful card. Good luck with it.....

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Dave- That's an awesome card. Definitely a candidate for re-submittal
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    Thanks Dave it is a beauty and I did try and bump the card once with no luck. But the scan tells the whole story , if this card is a 6 then I'm lost in the whole grading process.
    I've seen 8's and have had 8's that look worse, now I don't think its an 8 but with out a doudt this card should be in a 7 holder.

It shouldn't stop someone from resubmitting or dare I say crack it out. I guess I lost my backbone, I just couldn't talk my self into cracking away.

By the way the back is totally clean , not even a slight wax stain.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks Dave it is a beauty and I did try and bump the card once with no luck. But the scan tells the whole story , if this card is a 6 then I'm lost in the whole grading process.
    I've seen 8's and have had 8's that look worse, now I don't think its an 8 but with out a doudt this card should be in a 7 holder.

It shouldn't stop someone from resubmitting or dare I say crack it out. I guess I lost my backbone, I just couldn't talk my self into cracking away.

By the way the back is totally clean , not even a slight wax stain. >>

If that top left corner has paper loss as it seems to by the scan, then that explains the grade. In many cases EX-MT cards can exhibit 95% of the qualities of a NM-MT card. Usually having one major flaw (such as paper loss) that knock it down.

Super nice card though..For those who care about eye appeal, there are MANY cheap(er) finds within the PSA 6 grade...

Jason
  • Options
    Dave
    I agree with jason.....that is a super and centered psa 6.
    Be proud of that baby...just beacuse another has shown up in a short tme period...no assurance that one will do so in a while.
    did ya all see what a 7 went for?????

Strange things can happen so you might try to send in to psa. just make sure you do a review or min grade of 6.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    just noticed, on the card above, something on the left border about 1/3 of the way down. maybe thats the culprit?

Still, looks much nicer than the one I just bought.
    Now.... Who has a Thorpe or Turner for me?

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    That mark is on the PSA case not the card.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let it be known Im putting a nice sized snipe on that baby! image