Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Haha....Not even close.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    I think it's going to be a long season for my Bears. It's a good thing I have plenty of this:

• Options

<< <i>Anyone up for predicting this years playoff teams?

Here's mine- AFC:

New England
    Cleveland
    Indianapolis
    San Diego
    Jacksonville
    Denver

NFC:
    Dallas
    Minnesota
    New Orleans
    Seattle
    Philadelphia
    Green Bay

Super Bowl: New England over Dallas >>

Arizona will make the playoffs this year. Write it down, permalink it, whatever you want to do....the Cards will be in the post-season, and when they win the west, Mr. Madison will be wearing Cardinal red!!!

Jasen
  • Options
    KC goes 8-8! (We were 4-12 last year.)
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Arizona will make the playoffs this year. Write it down, permalink it, whatever you want to do....the Cards will be in the post-season, and when they win the west, Mr. Madison will be wearing Cardinal red!!!

Jasen >>

I think Arizona will wander around the 8-8 zone again this year...Seems every season they are the next big thing and it always fizzles. I think I picked them a couple of years ago to be one of the "surprise" up and comers/playoff teams only to be disappointed as I'm sure all Cardinals fans were...

They certainly have the talent on offense and maybe finally the right coach who can put it all together..No doubt they could steal a couple of games somewhere and end up at 10-6 or so and get in the playoffs, but to me it's a tough sell until I see something from them defensively that says they won't blow it again this year...

Jason

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

<< <i>KC goes 8-8! (We were 4-12 last year.) >>

If the Chiefs go 8-8 you should celebrate as if the won the Super Bowl...lol

In fact, they might be luck to get back to 4-12, even with LJ back and the super easy schedule they have. You look at that starting lineup on both sides of the ball and just can't help but say...YUCK!

Herm better be waving that magic wand for you....lol

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>KC goes 8-8! (We were 4-12 last year.) >>

If the Chiefs go 8-8 you should celebrate as if the won the Super Bowl...lol

In fact, they might be luck to get back to 4-12, even with LJ back and the super easy schedule they have. You look at that starting lineup on both sides of the ball and just can't help but say...YUCK!

Herm better be waving that magic wand for you....lol

Jason >>

Well, at least the NFL Network won't be stealing any of our local games any time soon.image
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    I'll be ecstatic if my Packers go 9-7, I still think they(mgmt.) fumbled the whole Favre thing but don't get me started on that. It kills me to see him in another uniform. I guess it is just a business.

Doc
  • Options

<< <i>I'll be ecstatic if my Packers go 9-7, I still think they(mgmt.) fumbled the whole Favre thing but don't get me started on that. It kills me to see him in another uniform. I guess it is just a business.

Doc >>

9-7 maybe 10-6 IMO, mainly on the strength of the defense...I think they still make the playoffs, but won't do anything once they get there unless they have a home field game which won't happen if they are a wild card...

Jason
  • Options
    'Skins looked predictably awful tonight, but Giants didn't look all that great themselves. It really looked like they took their foot off the pedal, very disappointing (although they still covered image ). Can't wait 'til Sunday!!!

Jasen
  • Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    I'd love to see 10-6, it all depends on how they look out of the gate against the Queens, that will be a tough game.

Doc
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    Hi, I just wanted to say how much I enjoy this thread. I discovered it about a month ago and have been reading it even more since Beckett's site went down hill. I've actually started purchasing more PSA HOF rookies as a result of my interest in the thread and viewing many of the HOF rookie collections. Great posts!

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    Welcome dfr52. I am addicted to this thread almost as much as I am to the HOF RC's. We have a great group of addicts here.
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    What do you think of my new purchases? Does anyone think the Wistert has a chance at a straight 7?

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    What do you think of my new purchases? Does anyone think the Wistert has a chance at a straight 7?

From my experience, OC cards tend to get graded 2 grades lower than their proper OC grade. I think the Wistert is properly graded as is, and looks great. Keep it in it's current holder Greg.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    Wow! The Sayers looks nice with great centering.

title.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow! The Sayers looks nice with great centering. >>

I've been looking for a centered PSA 8 Sayers for at least 2 years. It is by far the nicest 8 that I've ever seen...

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow! The Sayers looks nice with great centering. >>

I've been looking for a centered PSA 8 Sayers for at least 2 years. It is by far the nicest 8 that I've ever seen...

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

From the scan it does look like a high-end 8.

title.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What do you think of my new purchases? Does anyone think the Wistert has a chance at a straight 7?

>>

I would say that there's probably just a little too much top border (or too little bottom border) to get into a straight PSA 7. Add the print line and I think it is where it is...
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the Sayers, Greg! I've seen multiple posts from you looking for a nice 8. Glad you finally found one. As for the Wistert, I agree with the previous posters that a 7 is highly unlikely.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    greg
    that sayers is screamin......nice PU

keep the whitey as is.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

<< <i>

Jasen >>

I copied your post here Jasen just in case in oh, say mid November when the Cards have no mathematical possibility of making the playoffs, much less wining the NFC West division, you decide to go back and edit your post. image

Good luck with all your favorite football teams tomorrow ladies, heres to having a healthy season!

Joe
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Jasen >>

I copied your post here Jasen just in case in oh, say mid November when the Cards have no mathematical possibility of making the playoffs, much less wining the NFC West division, you decide to go back and edit your post. image

Good luck with all your favorite football teams tomorrow ladies, heres to having a healthy season!

Joe >>

Jasen:

How long until Hightower takes the ball from Edge?

Hold on to your hat out there... Your in for some high scoring affairs and I fear the Cards will end up on the short end of too many of them.
  • Options
    They are going to work Hightower in slowly, although he has been the primary goal-line back all preseason, so I expect him to continue in that role (we released Marcel Shipp, who was the goal-line back last year). I am actually really excited about our defense, we are really deep on the linebacker position and I can't wait to see what CP has schemed for the regular season. I am really happy that the first 6 weeks of our sked is fairly weak, as that will give Rolle time to get comfortable at safety and give big Gabe and Branch time to get healthy before we start playing the tough second-half of the season. BTW, Joe....I was at the Hilton today for World Champ. of Fantasy Football draft and put a couple bills on the Cards at 9/4 to win the West. I would not be surprised if we are the only team in the division that wins tomorrow.

Jasen
  • Options
    Happy football day all...Thursday didn't count. It was a tease.

I am ready to start the grill and watch the Chiefs take a Tom Brady pounding. (However, I don't think they will reach the betting line.)
  • Options
    Happy football day all...Thursday didn't count. It was a tease.

Believe me, as a Giants fan, it countedimage
  • Options
    Just heard Brady's out for the year. Wow, that blows.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Is that official yet? I did hear the pats were bringing Simms in for a physical.......

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Is that official yet? I did hear the pats were bringing Simms in for a physical.......

My early fantasy sources are saying torn ACL. I hope not, but it doesn't look good.
  • Options
    Wow...Now being reported on NFL.com........As much as I HATE Brady.....I hate to see anyone of that caliber go out like that. I guess I should pick up a RC this winter.

Now, lets see if the Colts can shake that rust off in the second half..........ARG......

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    It's not looking good for you Dave!!!!!!
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Holy crap, the Bears have a running game again, lol.
  • Options
    Anyone have an opinion on Aaron Kampman? He looks like a great pass rusher and I've had my eye on him since last year. Any idea as to his best Rookie.. the only thing I have found is a 2005 Topps Total #59 Cletidus Hunt Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila Aaron Kampman RC
    ... Would that be "the one"..

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone have an opinion on Aaron Kampman? He looks like a great pass rusher and I've had my eye on him since last year. Any idea as to his best Rookie.. the only thing I have found is a 2005 Topps Total #59 Cletidus Hunt Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila Aaron Kampman RC
    ... Would that be "the one"..

Dave >>

Have the same question with regard to Justin Tuck. What would be his most porbable "Future" RC?
  • Options

<< <i>Have the same question with regard to Justin Tuck. What would be his most porbable "Future" RC? >>

That all depends Scott. First ya gotta tell us what the heck porbable means. image
  • Options
    Tucks best "non autographed" rookie would be his SP authentic but we would have to eliminate it because it is #ed out of 750...Besides that, I have no idea.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Have the same question with regard to Justin Tuck. What would be his most porbable "Future" RC? >>

That all depends Scott. First ya gotta tell us what the heck porbable means. image >>

It's how we say "probable" in my neighborhood. It's kinda like Bridgewater-bonics. image
  • Options
    Here's a card I would love to add to my collection, if it was truly a 9. I think its closer to a 7 or 7.5
    How did this card get graded ?
  • Options
    not sure, but that's a horrible looking card.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Must be a typo on that one, they forgot to add the "OC".
  • Options
    That's a beautiful flip though. Someone will pay dearly for it image
  • Options
    Here's a card I would love to add to my collection, if it was truly a 9. I think its closer to a 7 or 7.5

Publius gave me the "heads up" on that card. I was excited till I saw it. My 8 blows that card away. I'll pass on bidding.
  • Options
    My PSA 7 is better centered and the only reason it's in a PSA 7 is BECAUSE of the centering... I would be hard pressed to pay PSA 8 money for that card, let alone what it will bring based solely upon the flip. Sad, sad, sad!
  • Options
    yes, they definatly missed the OC on that one. Ill take my 7 any day..........

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    The owner of it will tell you it was a crazy grade ,speaking of that i was so happy to see a 52 large Gifford pop up on ebay, speaking of the 1 that just closed today but it was way to oc for me to bid as well yet another 6 in a 8 holder ;(

On the hof rc spam front have a few cards on the bay now a Real nice Unitas 7 a Kelly 7 with 8 corners but 7 centering a Langer 9 a D green psa 10 and a couple others free ship to anyone who posts with the rest of us junkies on this thread
  • Options

<< <i>yes, they definatly missed the OC on that one. Ill take my 7 any day..........

image >>

Dave's 7 is ALOT better than that 9 on Mile high. Nice card Mr. MRI

My Alworth 9 is about 60/40 too, so they must have a special place in their heart at PSA for 63 fleers.

Everyone knows I kind of prefer my psa 9's to be a bit OC as a rule of thumb, but that Mile high one is too much for even me. Sorry I led you astray Frank, I blame the Swede's image

• Options
    Frank your not buying that Joes sorry thing are you ?

You know when the alpha dog starts tossing bones there is a reason

NOW IS HE EVER ASKS YOU IF YOU WANT HIS BRONKO 7 YOU BETTER ASK WHERE HE HAS BEEN STORING IT imageimageimage

Joe what you think Skins @ Seahawks how quick we fall from the playoffs last year lol
  • Options
    thats not my alworth 9 at mile high Arty. I think we both know who's it is image I was told it was for sale a long time ago, but it went to auction before I had a chance to see it.

I have a sig line bet with Jasen cassidy (nike) straight up, if the seahawks win the nfc west division, he has to have a seahawk sig line, and if the cardinals win, Jasen gets to design my new sig line. Its beginning to look like I need to find a purse that matches Cardinal red, hawks got off to a rough start.

How are you liking your new head coach, Jimmy Zorn? Very impressive to go from the Seahawks QB coach, to the Skins offensive coach (for a week) then the head coach. Obvioulsy you guys saw something in him Holmgren overlooked, most coaches hang out at offensive coordinator for a few years before making the jump to head coach.

After watching the giants/ skins game last thursday, seeing Zorns clock management and play calling in the last 4 minutes, its painfully obvious why image
  • Options
    To date I've never seen an Alworth that was centered l/r. I don't know if one even exists. So 60/40 may be the best you can get, perhaps a hair better.
  • Options

<< <i>To date I've never seen an Alworth that was centered l/r. I don't know if one even exists. So 60/40 may be the best you can get, perhaps a hair better. >>

Poor centering is the norm for most 63 Fleer cards. I have never seen a Buoniconti centered better than 60/40... Most are 75/25 or worse.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References: