Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

This is the one and only PSA 10...
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    andy

I have seen some dead on....but not at psa 8 or better. I agree they all are off.
    most of 63 fleer is that way. I am still looking for a nice 63 maynard.
    Funny, but some marquis stars from that set have good centering..fred arabanas, tom sestak, mike stratton......
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

>>

Probably (porbably fro Anyd) the nicest centering that I've seen on an Alworth. It seems that the choices are either well centered and soft or really sharp but wickedly off center. Not the best of choices sometimes...
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Jay,

Does Jon own the PSA 10 Buoniconti? (I'm too lazy to look in his set...).

Greg M.

BTW, I have 2 Al Wistert rc's if anyone is looking. One is a PSA 4 and the other is raw but 4/5 quality. PM or e-mail me at montooth13 at yahoo.com.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Greg,

Nearmint cards owns the PSA 10 Buoniconti.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Jon hasn't been able to pry it away?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Never to early to start talking HOF...

For next year, here are the top 15 modern candidates (in pecking order) according to the HOF votes from past years, while including the newly eligible guys:

Bruce Smith
    Rod Woodson
    Cris Carter
    Derrick Thomas
    Bob Kuechenberg

Shannon Sharpe
    Randall McDaniel
    Richard Dent
    Russ Grimm
    John Randle
    Ray Guy
    Andre Reed
    Ken Stabler
    Paul Tagliabue
    Terrell Davis

The top 5 are my guesses for the modern era HOFers for this year. I think the top 3 are 100% locks. Thomas and Kuechenberg could easily be bumped by Sharpe and/or McDaniel..Longshot possibles (typically they have been choosing one of the longshot guys) are Guy, Stabler and Tagliabue. I don't see anyway anyone other than 5 of these 10 will be selected:

Bruce Smith
    Rod Woodson
    Cris Carter
    Derrick Thomas
    Bob Kuechenberg
    Shannon Sharpe
    Randall McDaniel
    Ray Guy
    Ken Stabler
    Paul Tagliabue

Here's why:

Richard Dent--With Bruce Smith and Claude Humphrey going in, there's no chance they will select 3 D-linemen in one year
    Russ Grimm--Seems to be behind Kuchenberg (who is in his final year), and McDaniel (who has a bigger resume minus Super Bowls)
    John Randle--Same as Dent...He isn't first ballot material to begin with, plus they won't put 3 D-Linemen in out of the 7 possible selections
    Andre Reed--Carter will be far and above the top WR choice this year, especially with Monk finally out of the way..plus Bob hayes, they won't go with 3 WRs in one year
    Terrell Davis--Not certain he will even make the final 15, but is the top RB on the ballot and has made the semi-finals each of his 3 years he has been eligible.

Jason
  • Options

Rick Snyder at Mint state asked me to post this for him (computer illiterate, which i used to be until Shag pushed me into finishing up my GED).

It is the only centered Alworth he has seen, and I can only dream about the quality cards that his grubby hands have held..... my precious image

• Options
    All I can say is WOW !!!!
  • Options
    Just a quick heads up, but just wanted to let everyone know that Torry Holt needs only 51 yards to become the next WR with 800 receptions and 12,000 yards for his career. At which point, I will request his addition to the All-Time Great WR set. Those are the automatic numbers (much like 10,000 yards on the rushing set) so I'm not sure if PSA will need to do a poll or not.

I don't foresee any other WRs reaching those goals this year, and most likely not next year either.

For the All-Time Rushers set, Jamal Lewis and Shaun Alexander are the only possible new 10,000 yard rushers this year..Alexander needs 571 yards but is currently unemployed, while Lewis needs 795, and is a strong possibility to get to that by the end of this season if he can stay healthy.

Jason
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Jason,
    I was thinking of picking up an Alexander RC.
    What is his best RC?
    Also do you think he has a shot at the HOF if he dosen't play again?
  • Options

<< <i>Jason,
    I was thinking of picking up an Alexander RC.
    What is his best RC?
    Also do you think he has a shot at the HOF if he dosen't play again? >>

The best RC for both Alexander and Lewis is the 2000 SP Authentic.

No chance Alexander makes the HOF with anything less than 12,000 yards rushing IMO..Even then, probably iffy...

Jason
  • Options
    Which T. Holt Rc will we be using??
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    96 1999 SP AUTHENTIC TORRY HOLT is used for the Modern HOF set
  • Options

<< <i>96 1999 SP AUTHENTIC TORRY HOLT is used for the Modern HOF set >>

Yep, that's the one..

Jason
  • Options
    Anyone here have a

33 Thorpe
    48 Bulldog Turner
    52 Bowman Matsom

Down to 3 to finish

Any grade OK at reasonalbe price.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone here have a

33 Thorpe
    48 Bulldog Turner
    52 Bowman Matsom

Down to 3 to finish

Any grade OK at reasonalbe price.

Dave >>

Dave:

May be able to help you out on the Bulldog. Have a PSA 5. Looking to fill some holes in my set, so perhaps a trade? LMK...

• Options
    Absolutely, I'll have to go through my extras to see what I have that you may need.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    The San Diego Union-Tribune has done its own “Mitchell Report” of sorts on performance-enhancing drugs in pro football. The baseball Mitchell Report had 85 names going back to about 1993. The accompanying list has 185 names linked to such drug use dating to 1962 and also 85 names since 1993. It includes 52 former Pro Bowl players and four Hall of Famers.

Some of the HOF/Future HOF names:

DE Deacon Jones was fined $3,000 for using team prescribed amphetamines.
    OT Ron Mix (1960s) took Roy's steroid pills for about five weeks.
    OG Walt Sweeney (1960s) said regular use of drugs and steroids led him to addiction. In legal case, a judge awarded him $1.8 million in benefits and attorney's fees from NFL pension fund.
    CB Deion Sanders (2005) tested positive for steroid-related substance before rejoining the league. He said it was in medication he was taking to treat an injured ankle.
    OT Jimbo Covert (early 1980s) said he experimented with steroids in college at Pitt.
    DE Neil Smith (1986) had steroids found in his dorm room shared with Lawrence Pete at Nebraska.
    OL Ron Yary (1982) told Omaha World-Herald that because of rampant use in the league, he tried performance-enhancing drugs the summer before his last season.
    SS Rodney Harrison (2007) suspended four games for violating steroid-related policy. Shipment of HGH reportedly delivered to him in weeks leading up to Super Bowl in 2004. He said it was to heal injuries.
    DE Mark Gastineau (1980s) in 2000 admitted having used steroids.
    DL Joe Klecko (1979-81) said he took steroids in offseason for strong-man contests, according to book by Charles Yesalis.
    OL Mike Webster (1970s/'80s). In suit against NFL pension fund, statements from doctors said Webster experimented with steroids. Died in 2002 at age 50.
    LB Andy Russell (1960s) talked about taking “pep pills” (amphetamines) for energy rush on field. “We were led to believe they helped you play better,” Russell said. “Truth is they help you play much worse because you overreacted.” He said Noll discouraged such drug use.
    OG Ken Gray (1960s) sued team in 1971 for $3.5 million, claiming the team made him take "potent, illegal and dangerous drugs” so that he would perform “more violently.” He settled for a smaller amount.
    Coach George Allen (1974). Former player Walt Sweeney testified in suit that Allen told players, “If it takes amphetamines to win, I will bring it in by the truckload.”

I wonder if this will get blown up like the Mitchell Report and affect future HOF voting?

Jason

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if this will get blown up like the Mitchell Report and affect future HOF voting? >>

My guess, Jason, would be no. From what I've heard here and there, steroid and HGH use through the years was absolutely rampant. I mean there were practically entire teams on the juice. And who knows who gets away with what now. Football players are HUGE. So to single out a few players when juicing was probably the norm for so long, as opposed to it, would be unfair IMO.

I was a little surprised to hear that Alzado and Dryer first started taking steroids in the 60's. I thought they didn't gain popularity until maybe the mid 70's or so. I guess not.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>From what I've heard here and there, steroid and HGH use through the years was absolutely rampant. I mean there were practically entire teams on the juice. And who knows who gets away with what now. Football players are HUGE. So to single out a few players when juicing was probably the norm for so long, as opposed to it, would be unfair IMO. >>

Couldn't you likely say the same about baseball??? And there we are seeing guys collectively blackballed from going into the HOF...

I think football being the violent sport that it is, the media/public are probably more apt to overlook it with football players...BUT, if the media were to blow this thing up like the Mitchell report was blown up...To where it becomes a public outrage??? Who knows then...

Jason
  • Options
    Add Terry Bradshaw to the list, only about a month or so ago he admitted on the Dan Patrick show that he used Steriods for a very small period time to overcome an injury.
    Here's a link on PFT about the conversation
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/24/bradshaw-admits-to-steroid-use/
  • Options
    Question: What are the best RC's of the following players:

Ed Reed
    Antonio Gates
    Richard Seymour

Thanks in advance,
    Tom
  • Options

<< <i>Question: What are the best RC's of the following players:

Ed Reed
    Antonio Gates
    Richard Seymour

Thanks in advance,
    Tom >>

If you are looking specifically for the cards that will fit into the HOF or key Card sets:

Reed- 2002 Topps Chrome #208
    Gates- 2003 Leaf R & S #132
    Seymour- 2001 Topps Chrome Rookie Refractor #282

They have other more valuable rookies, but they are either autograph cards, inserts, or individually numbered too low to qualify.

Jason
  • Options
    Jason, Do you have a "master list" of the current players rookie card that would/will be used for the future hof set? I would like to pick some of the more modern cards up but havn't a clue as to which card to get.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Jason, Do you have a "master list" of the current players rookie card that would/will be used for the future hof set? I would like to pick some of the more modern cards up but havn't a clue as to which card to get.

Dave >>

Here ya go:

Steve Hutchinson----2001------Crown Royale#185
    LaDanian Tomlinson-2001------Topps Chrome#221
    Steve Smith-----------2001------Topps Chrome#223
    Drew Brees-----------2001-------Topps Chrome#229
    Reggie Wayne--------2001------Topps Chrome#250
    Chad Johnson--------2001------Topps Chrome#259
    Marcus Stroud--------2001------Topps Chrome#263
    Richard Seymour-----2001------Topps Chrome#282
    Todd Heap------------2001-------Topps Chrome#293
    T.J. Houshmandzadeh--2001---Topps Chrome#298
    Brian Westbrook-----2002------SP Authentic#157
    Ed Reed---------------2002-------Topps Chrome#208
    Dwight Freeney------2002------Topps Chrome#171
    John Henderson-----2002------Topps Chrome#201
    Clinton Portis---------2002------Topps Chrome#181
    Julius Peppers--------2002------Topps Chrome#214
    Jeremy Shockey------2002------Topps Chrome#172
    Roy Williams----------2002------Topps Chrome#176
    Alan Faneca-----------2002------Upper Deck XL#362
    Lance Briggs----------2003------Bowman#120
    Antonio Gates--------2003------Leaf R&S#132
    Jason Witten---------2003------SP Authentic#199
    Carson Palmer-------2003------Topps Chrome#166
    Anquan Boldin--------2003------Topps Chrome#203
    Kevin Williams--------2003------Topps Chrome#214
    Willis McGahee-------2003------Topps Chrome#215
    Larry Johnson--------2003------Topps Chrome#220
    Andre Johnson-------2003------Topps Chrome#235
    Troy Polamalu--------2003------SP Authentic#120
    Willie Parker----------2004------Leaf R&S#181
    Steven Jackson------2004------Topps Chrome#180
    Bob Sanders---------2004------SP Authentic#146
    Ben Rothlisberger---2004------Topps Chrome#166
    Larry Fitzgerald------2004------Topps Chrome#215

Jason
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks..

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Jason,

How far away do you think Carson Palmer and Ben Roth.... are from HOF consideration? Granted, Palmer has 5 years under his belt and Big Ben only 4, but (in my opinion) they are the 2 most deserving of consideration of the "younger" QB's.

Also, what do you think of Drew Brees? I've started picking up rc - as a matter of fact, I have a PSA 10 Palmer Topps Chrome and am considering picking up Big Ben.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    I think you need to put E. Manning ahead of Palmer at this point, but all those guys are a good 3-5 years away from even talking about.

Jasen
  • Options
    They have other more valuable rookies, but they are either autograph cards, inserts, or individually numbered too low to qualify.

Thanks Jason, is SP Authentic too limited to be considered after 2000?
  • Options

<< <i>Jason,

How far away do you think Carson Palmer and Ben Roth.... are from HOF consideration? Granted, Palmer has 5 years under his belt and Big Ben only 4, but (in my opinion) they are the 2 most deserving of consideration of the "younger" QB's.

Also, what do you think of Drew Brees? I've started picking up rc - as a matter of fact, I have a PSA 10 Palmer Topps Chrome and am considering picking up Big Ben.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Palmer and Rothlisberger are still VERY far from being HOF worthy...5 more years is probably being conservative...

That list is obviously extremely speculative in nature...lol..

Brees on the other hand, IMO, is probably in the #2 slot behind Donovan McNabb as far as getting the closest to warranting consideration for the Future HOF- Modern set...But he's still a few years, Pro Bowls, All-Pros and Super Bowls away from having what it takes for a QB.

McNabb actually already has 5 Pro Bowls..Another Pro Bowl for him and we will have to really start considering him..The are zero NON-AFL QBs with 6 or more Pro Bowls NOT in the HOF...Jack Kemp and John Hadl are the only 2, and Kemp got all of his Pro Bowls in the AFL, and Hadl got probably half of his 6 there...AFL had between 8 and 10 teams and then sent 4 QBs to their Pro Bowl...Essentially 40-50% of QB starters were selected vs. today where less than 20% are chosen. So they don;t carry as much merit in the eyes of the voters..

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>They have other more valuable rookies, but they are either autograph cards, inserts, or individually numbered too low to qualify.

Thanks Jason, is SP Authentic too limited to be considered after 2000? >>

I think for the most part, its because in 2001, many of the rookies were autographed or jersey cards or whatever...The "Unofficial" limit to individually numbered cards is "999". PSA has refused to lock in a number to this point, but the collective minds here have deducted that it would be against the long term good of the HOF RC set to include cards numbered any lower...I mean you add a card numbered to 100, eventually there would be more collectors of the set, than cards in existence to be able for all to complete it...lol

There are some notable exceptions (Westbrook, Witten, Polomalu, Bob Sanders), and in those cases, the SP Authentic is still the most valuable/popular...

Jason
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    with favre back playing at least this season its going to make it tough for qb's like big ben, palmer etc to get much consideration. they will all lag far behind favre, brady and manning who were all playing at the same time and really putting up the big stats and wins.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>with favre back playing at least this season its going to make it tough for qb's like big ben, palmer etc to get much consideration. they will all lag far behind favre, brady and manning who were all playing at the same time and really putting up the big stats and wins. >>

Favre will largely be considered a QB of the 1990's, as that is when he had his biggest success...Manning and Brady are the obvious HOF QBs from this decade, and WILL be the two QBs selected for the 2000's Team of the Decade..Debatable who will be first team and who will be second team though...

Rothlisberger already has a Super Bowl ring, and he's only been in the league for 5 years..Manning is the only guy who will approach Favre type numbers, but really, the numbers are truly secondary in determining HOF QBs..With RBs and WRs, they play a MUCH bigger part..If all you needed were numbers Vinny Testaverde and Dave Krieg would be HOF QBs...Super Bowls, All-Pros and even Pro Bowls seem to trump the numbers when it comes to determining HOF QB credentials..Don't get me wrong, any QB this decade short of Tom Brady will probably need 35,000+ yards to get consideration..

6 time+ Pro Bowlers and 3 time+ 1st Team All-Pro QBs will be given serious consideration regardless of final numbers and/or Super Bowls. If they have a couple of Super Bowl rings to go with the Pro Bowls or All-Pros, that will likely be the deciding factor on those guys, not the numbers...

Still WAY to early to determine guys like Big Ben, Palmer,Brees, Rivers, Eli, even McNabb who has been in the league 10 years..He's certainly not there yet, but another Super Bowl apperance or a Pro Bowl/All-Pro/MVP type award and he's going to be really close. He still has plenty of years left though..

The interesting one to me is Kurt Warner..If he could put togehter 2 more Pro Bowl type seasons in his career, he could really become a player in the HOF consideration again..He used to be considered a guy heading to the HOF, but then had so many terrible years, he became the forgotten guy...The revival in Arizona could get his name back in the mix for sure...He has a few HOF credntials already..

Jason
  • Options
    Anyone heard from Josh or Gabbs recently? They both seems to have fallen off the face of the Earth.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    I believe Jeff got married in August. That could explain it.....LOL..

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I don't think we will see Josh for awhile, NFL Network ran their America's Game "The Missing Rings" series on the Vikings last night.....

Jasen
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone heard from Josh or Gabbs recently? They both seems to have fallen off the face of the Earth. >>

Chatted with Josh less than 2 weeks ago, so he's around. Maybe lurking, maybe planning his next move, maybe still hunting for a Nagurski just for schtick and giggles.
  • Options
    Yes I still miss Josh......as long as he is not 6ft under........he will eventually get the bug back......I'm still keeping #10 spot warm for him..
    Have not reaally added that much since he left.....just upgraded a 75 fouts to a 9.

And if you are still reading the boards, Josh...please post an updated pic of adorable hannah

I know my FB knowledge is far less tht you guys on these boards..but I don't know who a 1/3 of those guys on Jason's list are.
    And need all thier cards. I shoud be ashamed of myself.

I was wondering ....on this list who do you guys think is a must have at this point?

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    and i was wondering...what about shaun merriman? should he be on the list.
    whats his card?
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    Clinton Portis' key rookie may end up being 2002 SPX over Topps Chrome. Tuff Stuff lists SPX at $75 and TC at $40. I have them both in 10's, so I'm prepared either way.
  • Options

<< <i>Clinton Portis' key rookie may end up being 2002 SPX over Topps Chrome. Tuff Stuff lists SPX at $75 and TC at $40. I have them both in 10's, so I'm prepared either way. >>

I have the SPX, but still need the Topps Chrome...They are close, and with no listing in the SMR, things could change between now and a few years from now when he hits 10,000 yards...

Portis isn't the only card that could change..Quite a few could be SPX...The newer cards are tough, just because there are so many...Figuring out which qualify and which don't is half the battle...I do know that whatever Tuff Stuff says is meaningless...It will end up coming down to collector vote because PSA will send a poll with multiple cards fr the player to choose from. When we discussed it awhile back, I think in this thread, the popular vote was that when these issues meet the Registry qualifications (no autos, jersey cards or numbered lower than 999) the standard pecking order would be:

1- SP Authentic
    2- Topps Chrome
    3- SPX
    4- Leaf R&S

Again, it will come down to collectors on the set in which we request the addition to vote on which card to use when the values/popularity is very close...

Jay, I didn't include anyone on that list from 2005 or sooner...Simply because for me, 3 seasons isn't enough to even try to assume HOF cred...I'll probably be able to add some of the 2005 rookies after this year if there are any I think might be on the right track. It will have to be researched though, I only studied 2001-2004 rookies.

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Jason, Do you have a "master list" of the current players rookie card that would/will be used for the future hof set? I would like to pick some of the more modern cards up but havn't a clue as to which card to get.

Dave >>

Here ya go:

Steve Hutchinson----2001------Crown Royale#185
    LaDanian Tomlinson-2001------Topps Chrome#221
    Steve Smith-----------2001------Topps Chrome#223
    Drew Brees-----------2001-------Topps Chrome#229
    Reggie Wayne--------2001------Topps Chrome#250
    Chad Johnson--------2001------Topps Chrome#259
    Marcus Stroud--------2001------Topps Chrome#263
    Richard Seymour-----2001------Topps Chrome#282
    Todd Heap------------2001-------Topps Chrome#293
    T.J. Houshmandzadeh--2001---Topps Chrome#298
    Brian Westbrook-----2002------SP Authentic#157
    Ed Reed---------------2002-------Topps Chrome#208
    Dwight Freeney------2002------Topps Chrome#171
    John Henderson-----2002------Topps Chrome#201
    Clinton Portis---------2002------Topps Chrome#181
    Julius Peppers--------2002------Topps Chrome#214
    Jeremy Shockey------2002------Topps Chrome#172
    Roy Williams----------2002------Topps Chrome#176
    Alan Faneca-----------2002------Upper Deck XL#362
    Lance Briggs----------2003------Bowman#120
    Antonio Gates--------2003------Leaf R&S#132
    Jason Witten---------2003------SP Authentic#199
    Carson Palmer-------2003------Topps Chrome#166
    Anquan Boldin--------2003------Topps Chrome#203
    Kevin Williams--------2003------Topps Chrome#214
    Willis McGahee-------2003------Topps Chrome#215
    Larry Johnson--------2003------Topps Chrome#220
    Andre Johnson-------2003------Topps Chrome#235
    Troy Polamalu--------2003------SP Authentic#120
    Willie Parker----------2004------Leaf R&S#181
    Steven Jackson------2004------Topps Chrome#180
    Bob Sanders---------2004------SP Authentic#146
    Ben Rothlisberger---2004------Topps Chrome#166
    Larry Fitzgerald------2004------Topps Chrome#215

Jason >>

Jason,

Where is the love for Edgerrin??? I thought we discussed this, man! LOL

Jasen
  • Options

<< <i>

Jason,

Where is the love for Edgerrin??? I thought we discussed this, man! LOL

Jasen >>

Ummm...This is for modern cards 2001-2004...Everyone already knows the James is 1999 SP because it is already on the Rushers set...

Jason
  • Options
    Dave's request was for "the current players rookie card that would/will be used for the future hof set".....since Edge is not part of the Future HOF set, he would seem to fit this request. I must have missed the part where it said only 2001-2004, sorry.

Jasen
  • Options

<< <i>Dave's request was for "the current players rookie card that would/will be used for the future hof set".....since Edge is not part of the Future HOF set, he would seem to fit this request. I must have missed the part where it said only 2001-2004, sorry.

Jasen >>

Yes, you'd probably have to read WAY back in the thread, this is a running item we've discussed here before...For cards 2000 and earlier, in most cases, the choice of which card is simple and everyone knows them..2001 is where things started getting out of control with the card companies...I knew exactly what Dave was asking for, he didn;t have to spell it out for me..lol

Most of the candidates for the Future/Modern set that will come up for vote this year have rookies older than 2000...If you really need me to post them here for you I can...We won't vote on these until AFTER the season, but if you are new to the set or to this thread I understand the disconnect. Here's a speculative list of "Pre-2001" possibles we may be voting for/against this January.

Active players:
    Kevin Mawae---1994---Bowman#135
    Brian Dawkins---1996---Finest#344
    Jason Taylor---1997---SP Authentic#116
    Fred Taylor---1998---SP Authentic#16
    Donovan McNabb---1999---SP Authentic#95
    Edgerrin James---1999---SP Authentic#94

Retired former HOF Finalists and Semifinalists:
    Ken Anderson---1973---Topps#34
    Donnie Shell---1979---Topps#411
    Joe Jacoby---1983---Topps#190
    Rickey Jackson---1984 Topps#303
    Charles Haley---1987---Topps#125
    Chris Doleman---1988---Topps#157
    Steve Tasker---1989---Topps Traded#65T
    Cortez Kennedy---1990---Score Supplemental#68T

Is this what you are looking for?

Jason

• Options
    I was looking at Tony Boselli's career stats and was wondering if he deserves consideration for the future HOF set:

4x All-Pro selection (1996-1999)
    5x Pro Bowl selection
    (1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000)
    NFL 1990s All-Decade 2nd Team

I would think this would be his best card:
    1995 SP #147 Tony Boselli
  • Options
    I think it would be interesting to see a list of most pro bowl appearances and players not included in either one of our sr. or modern HOF sets.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I think it would be interesting to see a list of most pro bowl appearances and players not included in either one of our sr. or modern HOF sets. >>

Dave, too easy....

Senior set first...Most Pro Bowls:
    Maxie Baughn OLB 9
    Walt Sweeney OG 9 (6 AFL)
    Winston Hill OT 8 (4 AFL)
    George Kunz OT 8
    Les Richter MLB 8
    Jack Kemp QB 7 (7 AFL)
    Jerry Mays DE 7 (7 AFL)
    Jon Morris OC 7 (6 AFL)

1st Team All-Pro:
    Del Shofner WR 5
    Jim Patton S 5
    Larry Grantham OLB 5
    Dick Barwegan OG 4
    Bobby Dillon CB 4
    Al Wistert OT 4

Modern Set:
    Pro Bowls, Active Players:
    Matt Birk 6
    Brian Dawkins 6
    La'Roi Glover 6
    Olin Kreutz 6
    Kevin Mawae 6
    Jason Taylor 6

Pro Bowls, Retired players:
    Chris Doleman 8
    Steve Tasker 7
    Cortez Kennedy 7
    Robert Brazile 7
    Lomas Brown 7
    Jay Hilgenberg 7
    Chris Hinton 7
    Richmond Webb 7
    Steve Wiesniewski 7

1st Team All-Pro, Active Players:
    Brian Dawkins 4
    Willie Anderson 3
    Ronde Barber 3
    Antonio Gates 3
    Steve Hutchinson 3
    Ed Reed 3
    Richard Seymour 3
    Jason Taylor 3
    Kevin Williams 3

1st Team All-Pro, Retired Players:
    Mike Alstott 3
    Cliff Branch 3
    Joey Browner 3
    Deron Cherry 3
    Kenny Easley 3
    Mark Gastineau 3
    Cortez Kennedy 3
    Karl Mecklenburg 3
    Donnie Shell 3

• Options

<< <i>I was looking at Tony Boselli's career stats and was wondering if he deserves consideration for the future HOF set:

4x All-Pro selection (1996-1999)
    5x Pro Bowl selection
    (1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000)
    NFL 1990s All-Decade 2nd Team

I would think this would be his best card:
    1995 SP #147 Tony Boselli >>

One of my favorite players...Yes, that is his best card..But honestly, until we see him at least make the top 25 semifinals, I wouldn't say he's got better than a 50% chance of making the HOF and therefore deserving of inclusion on the future modern set...He's on the ballot, but his short (although DOMINANT) career is going to hurt him. Terrell Davis is in the same boat and seems to have more HOF voter support since he has been making the top 25..Boselli's chances will clearly hinge on what happens with Davis and his short, dominant career.

Jason