Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Dave, fine Merlin Olsen RC there! In fact I tracked that auction. That card appears to be the kind of PSA 8.5 that I affectionately call "A Gem Mint 10 with corner fraying". image A very keen eye on your part! It sure goes to show that a quality high-end card doesn't need to have a high-end price tag.

Also - I could be in a similar boat with you - I may have to postpone some future buys as I try to refi an Anchorage rental building. I'll soon know more. Inexplicably, vintage sports cards have never been known to impress banks - even with "VCP backup". image

Recently I've been "hired" as a regular monthly sportscard columnist for Mike Denero's Vintage Sportscards newsletter. My piece is titled "Keith's Key Kard Korner". As the NFL season approaches, I'll move away from baseball writeups and into football. I'll let all know when I feature a card from our set; probably next month. In the columns, I'll be working tie-ins or references to our subject Registry Set. The whole thing ought to be great fun!

• DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the monthy column. Make sure you put a link here if you are covering football!!

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • I just got club freebies in today. Nothing spectacular. A Bob Brown 6, Sanders 6 (why can't I find a raw one higher), Swann 7PD (had some snow, thought it might pass, oh well), Rich Jackson 7 and a Largent 8 (Publius would give me a pat on the back I'm sure).
    I have another sub of 40 cards still in process. Let you know when they pop.
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
    Slightly off topic, but wanted to share a pic of my son's first football game in 2 years. He had to sit out last year because of a broken arm. He is the smallest on his team (weighing in at 73 lbs.) but had some good tackles including the one below. He is #55 on the Steelers......

I'm just a proud papa...

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!

• << <i>I just got club freebies in today. Nothing spectacular. A Bob Brown 6, Sanders 6 (why can't I find a raw one higher), Swann 7PD (had some snow, thought it might pass, oh well), Rich Jackson 7 and a Largent 8 (Publius would give me a pat on the back I'm sure).
    I have another sub of 40 cards still in process. Let you know when they pop. >>

ANY Largent is a good Largent Vince! image I love that Im the Largent guy, cracks me up. If any of you guys could actually SEE some of the Largent crap I have, I would probably be committed.

Very cool pic Dave, thanks for posting that. Did you boy break his arm playing football, or some other studly sport?

Anyone see that the Seahawks beat the Chargers over the weekend. Yet another example of good triumphing over evil, and a glimmer of whats to come this season. Hawks are undefeated! (in preseason)

Sig line bet, part Duece Nike? The gauntlet HAS been thrown!

<< <i>Very cool pic Dave, thanks for posting that. Did you boy break his arm playing football, or some other studly sport? >>

Is "falling from a 12 foot tree house while carrying a squirt gun" a studly sport? Then yeah....image

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    What ages is the league he is playing? My son is 8 but is playing in a 9-11 year league.. Unfortunately he is too big for his own age group (119 pounds) and he is forced to play higher. How old is your boy?
    He is in the 5-6th grade league. He is 10 and currently in 5th grade. Probably one of the smallest on the team, at 73 lbs, but can hit em hard. For comparison, when I was in 6th grade, I wrestled in the 70 lb weight class. They are definalty fun to watch.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Dave,

Your HOF Rookie set is amazing, I am simply blown away what an amzing accomplishment!!

Joe,

How are you...where are all the darn 84 10's we need, 50 or so till I have an all psa 10 set...

Felicia
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
    Thanks Felicia......Even though there are 8 sets ranked higher than mine...Feels good to be at 100% though.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Dave,

You'll have to let us all know if there are any regional issues of the little man so we can request a registry set. image

Jasen

• << <i>Dave,

You'll have to let us all know if there are any regional issues of the little man so we can request a registry set. image

Jasen >>

Ill only do Dave's kids basic set, not the master one. I cant stand those cut stamp variations of his rookie card that are in the master set image

Felecia, I keep waiting for ladies of OCSI to get off their lazy a$$es and get me some 84's. Bill just gave me a few 9's I was missing, and Will J hooked me up with a few too. It takes way to much time to filter through ebay every week and the hundreds of 84's I dont need to maybe find one I do need. When are you going to start collecting the HOF RC set, its way to much of a sausage fest right now. We could use a lady to class the place up- get rid of names like "Shag rotn" I know what your talking about Andy!
    Yeah, I'll do that..LOL....

Just look at the fear on the ball-carriers face.....image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    I came home from work today only to find my wife giving me the "evil eye". Trying to find out what I did, I saw a package laying on the counter. Since my wife and I just bought a lot and we are going to start building a house in the next couple months, we are trying to cut back on "unnecessary purchases". I still can't convince her that football cards are a necessity. Anyway, Trying to rack my brain to figure out what I have bought, I open up the bubble mailer to find this.....

I posted a couple weeks ago in this thread that I need to pick up a Smith RC so that I stay at 100% once next years class gets elected. The package was from our own Jasen Cassidy and needless to say, I was speechless. Thank you Jasen for this very cool gesture!!!!

It will be paid forward.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Dave, that is pretty cool, well done Jasen. If you really want to "pay it forward" I'm still needing the Bronko.................just a suggestion.

Doc
    sure thing.....image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I came home from work today only to find my wife giving me the "evil eye". Trying to find out what I did, I saw a package laying on the counter. Since my wife and I just bought a lot and we are going to start building a house in the next couple months, we are trying to cut back on "unnecessary purchases". I still can't convince her that football cards are a necessity. Anyway, Trying to rack my brain to figure out what I have bought, I open up the bubble mailer to find this.....

I posted a couple weeks ago in this thread that I need to pick up a Smith RC so that I stay at 100% once next years class gets elected. The package was from our own Jasen Cassidy and needless to say, I was speechless. Thank you Jasen for this very cool gesture!!!!

It will be paid forward.

Dave >>

that is very cool. Congrats!
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Thats cool. I think that is one of the best Emmiitt Smith cards out there.
  • Dave,

Not a problem, man. Just throw a few picks when you play my Cardinals this year and we'll call it even. image (for those of you who haven't met Dave, he looks like Seahawks QB Matt Hasselbeck)

Jasen
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Jasen:

Circle 10/25 on your calendar... It could get ugly in the Meadowlands!!! The G-Men are loaded for bear and the defense will surprise the hell out of people this year. Here's an early vote for Jason Tuck to be Defensive Player of the Year!
  • dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    Very nice gesture. I think Smith has a good chance next year.image

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
    Jasen....Don't let the "Matt Hasselbeck" thing get out. I don't want Squires to stalk me....

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!

• << <i>Jasen....Don't let the "Matt Hasselbeck" thing get out. I don't want Squires to stalk me.... >>

Too late Dave, already bought the ticket. Id be looking over my shoulder and checking under the bed for the next few days if i were you.

I must have a used pair of your underwear now! image

<< <i>I must have a used pair of your underwear now! >>

I can't go there... It's too darn easy... I won't!!!
  • This weekend I finally had a chance to catch up with some NFL Network programming that I had DVR'ed months ago. It featured whom is perhaps our set's most celebrated likeness; the show was named "Player Of The Millenium: Jim Brown". The hour-long program featured interviews with other set members whom spoke of Brown's greatness like Chuck Bednarik, Sam Huff, Bobby Mitchell, et. al. By the way, when Bednarik was interviewed I had to get up and tap the side of my television because the entire picture went horribly off center. image

Some of Brown's mental tricks seemed valid, others perplexing. It was interesting that after each and every carry, Brown would rise back up on his feet and return to the huddle very slowly. That way, opposing players could not determine if Brown was hurt on the play, had the wind knocked out of him, or was feeling fresh. I was born well after Brown's retirement so I knew nothing of his acting experience and humanitarian efforts before watching the show.

Baseball has long done more to promote it's sports history than football has. I hope that changes, and the widening appeal of the NFL Network should only promote an appreciation.
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    As a kid, there seemed to be almost the same unanimity among experts choosing Brown as the greatest ever as there is with this generation choosing Jordan as basketball's best.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
    THanks Joe.....I've been sleeping with one eye open.. image

The HOF voters will be meeting tomorrow to select the 2010 Sr. Nominee's. I'm not sure if it is usually annouced the same day or not. We shall see.

I'm going to throw a guess out and say

Dick LeBeau (His name has been thrown around alot lately)
    Tommy Nobis (100% guess)

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>THanks Joe.....I've been sleeping with one eye open.. image

The HOF voters will be meeting tomorrow to select the 2010 Sr. Nominee's. I'm not sure if it is usually annouced the same day or not. We shall see.

Tommy Nobis (100% guess)

Dave >>

We will likely get the announcement on Thursday.. I agree on Lebeau, the more I hear the more i think he will be one of the choices. And I think he would be a shoe in for the 80%. Would love to see Nobis, but will stick with Jerry Kramer as my other pick.

I've been out of the loop for a bit on business, and haven't been able to find out which current HOFers are being flown into Canton this week to speak with the committee. That is typically an easy way to figure out which guys they are looking at hardest.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>THanks Joe.....I've been sleeping with one eye open.. image

Tommy Nobis (100% guess)

Dave >>

We will likely get the announcement on Thursday.. I agree on Lebeau, the more I hear the more i think he will be one of the choices. And I think he would be a shoe in for the 80%. Would love to see Nobis, but will stick with Jerry Kramer as my other pick.

I've been out of the loop for a bit on business, and haven't been able to find out which current HOFers are being flown into Canton this week to speak with the committee. That is typically an easy way to figure out which guys they are looking at hardest.

Jason >>

Jason,

I can't wait for the Senior Finalist announcement. By the way, I just picked up a beautiful, centered PSA 8 LeBeau rc for $20!!! I have a PSA 7 LeBeau rc if anyone is interested...(very nice...a definate 7.5 bump candidate).

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
    $20? Thats a heck of a deal. Where did you find that at?

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!

<< <i>$20? Thats a heck of a deal. Where did you find that at?

Dave >>

Dave,

I bought it from Triple SSS Sportscards.... I was SHOCKED they had it listed for $20. I also bought a PSA 8 Floyd Little rc for $40.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>

Dave >>

Dave,

I bought it from Triple SSS Sportscards.... I was SHOCKED they had it listed for $20. I also bought a PSA 8 Floyd Little rc for $40.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Good investments at those prices even if they don't get in this year. I think both will eventually, they are on the shortlist every year...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.

<< <i>

Dave >>

Dave,

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Nice job Greg . . . You nailed both Senior Finalists in one fell swoop!

Floyd Little and Dick LeBeau are this year's Senior Nominees . . .
    Wow - that's eerie!! Sadly, Al Wistert was again snubbed.... I was really hoping that 2010 was his year!

I have solid PSA 7's available of LeBeau and Little if anyone is intersted.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    Greg, I would be interested in the Little.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow - that's eerie!! Sadly, Al Wistert was again snubbed.... I was really hoping that 2010 was his year!

I have solid PSA 7's available of LeBeau and Little if anyone is intersted.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

well so was Kramer. I would say his chances are now pretty slim. What a shame...is it that he is penalized for being on such a dominate team of that era? or is it something else that nearly eveyone else had missed. hard to say as any off the field things arent suppose to count and by all accounts he is a stand up guy.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
    GREAT Senior selections. I like both players chances this year as well. LeBeau is all but a shoe in, and as I talked about before, Denver players as a whole are really overdue. I thought maybe Gradishar until Lebeau got the huge push. Would not think 2 defensive players would go in anyway.

Little has always been killed by his lack of big numbers, but the guy was monster in his day.

I wish this same group of 5 senior voters could go every year. The always tend to pick the guys who actually have the best shot at MAKING the real HOF and not just the list of finalists to be snubbed again.

Jason

• Great selections this year. I also have the LeBeau psa 8 and Little psa 7.
    I received my Bob Lilly psa 7 today and the seller also sent me a surprise ( a pretty nice Hadl RC raw I need for my future HOF set.

I do not know how to upload a pic so here is a link to my defense set if you want to see a pic of it.
    link to my defense set for Lilly pic

It also completed my 60s team of the decade
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess I'm in the minoroty here, but I don't understand the Little selection. His numbers are hardly Hall worthy IMO. LeBeau on the other hand was way overdue. His induction should be a slam dunk.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

<< <i>I guess I'm in the minoroty here, but I don't understand the Little selection. His numbers are hardly Hall worthy IMO. LeBeau on the other hand was way overdue. His induction should be a slam dunk. >>

Little wasn't a bad pick, however on the offensive side I would rather have seen Hadl. JHMO.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • I'm not old enough to say i watched Floyd play but I agree with Shag. When a guy who only had 1 1000 yard season and isn't even in the top 50 RB's for yards alltime I think its a reach to pick him over some many deserving players. And if the committee wanted to pick a player off the those early Broncos teams wouldn't a defense pick make more sense ?
    I'm not saying Floyd wasn't good but with so many Great RB on horizon ( Emmitt, Faulk, George, Bettis, Martin , Terrell Davis, James ) I think the commitee could have used there selection on a position that isn't so loaded in the coming future .
    Just an opion

Rushing Receiving
    Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Att Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G YScm RRTD Fmb AV
    1967 25 DEN HB 44 13 0 130 381 1 14 2.9 29.3 10.0 7 11 1.6 0 15 0.5 0.8 392 1 3 4
    1968* 26 DEN HB 44 11 11 158 584 3 55 3.7 53.1 14.4 19 331 17.4 1 66 1.7 30.1 915 4 6 6
    1969*+ 27 DEN HB 44 9 9 146 729 6 48 5.0 81.0 16.2 19 218 11.5 1 67 2.1 24.2 947 7 2 12
    1970* 28 DEN RB 44 14 14 209 901 3 80 4.3 64.4 14.9 17 161 9.5 0 39 1.2 11.5 1062 3 6 10
    1971* 29 DEN RB 44 14 13 284 1133 6 40 4.0 80.9 20.3 26 255 9.8 0 74 1.9 18.2 1388 6 4 10
    1972 30 DEN RB 44 14 14 216 859 9 55 4.0 61.4 15.4 28 367 13.1 4 40 2.0 26.2 1226 13 4 12
    1973* 31 DEN RB 44 14 13 256 979 12 47 3.8 69.9 18.3 41 423 10.3 1 50 2.9 30.2 1402 13 3 16
    1974 32 DEN RB 44 14 9 117 312 1 22 2.7 22.3 8.4 29 344 11.9 0 72 2.1 24.6 656 1 2 8
    1975 33 DEN RB 44 14 10 125 445 2 19 3.6 31.8 8.9 29 308 10.6 2 66 2.1 22.0 753 4 2 6
    Career 117 93 1641 6323 43 80 3.9 54.0 14.0 215 2418 11.2 9 74 1.8 20.7 8741 52 32 84

• I agree with Dan here (like we've been emailing about)

When you think Football Hall of Fame, you think of the greats of the game who reinvented it, the guys who only need their last name mentioned.

Nagurski, Thorpe, Hutson, Baugh, Largent..... Little? really?

Its watering down the HOF to be honest. I had no idea his numbers compared with others were that pale. Oh well
    Speaking of Little, I have a fellow collector that has offered me a PSA 9 Rookie knowing that he is now a Sr. finalist. He wants me to make an offer, but I have no idea what to offer. The only way I would buy it is to try to flip it. I have a 7 on the way from Greg for my set. I see VCP has no 9's listed. Does anyone have an idea on what it would be worth right now? Is anyone else interested in it?

I believe it is a 1 of 8 with only 1 10. The only 2 PSA 9's I could find registered were Jon Isaacson and the #1 68 topps set

I rolled the dice with Marshall Goldberg last year and lost. I'm not willing to take a big gamble this year. But, believe me, if I pass on this deal, he will surely be elected.

thanks
    Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    You're not alone. I'm not convinced Floyd Little is a Hall of Famer. His numbers are not great. I don't recall Denver ever making the play-offs during his tenure so maybe that's the reason, a victim of a poor O-line.
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I thought Little was a borderline HOF candidate at best. He had five really nice years, and four really terrible years. Is that enough to justify inclusion into the HOF these days?

If Little's a HOF'er then the following RB's are too when you compare their careers:

Rick Casares (retired in the top ten in career rushing)
    Don Perkins (retired in the top ten)
    Larry Brown, superb for four years
    Lydell Mitchell, one of the best all-around backs in his era.
    Chuck Foreman, a TD machine
    James Brooks, did it all and has a 4.8 avg per carry for his career

Or even these dudes (some are not eligible yet):

Terrell Davis
    Corey Dillion
    Shaun Alexander
    Tiki Barber
    Rickey Watters
    Priest Holmes
    Garrison Hearst

And to a lesser extent older AFL star running backs:

Paul Lowe
    Abner Haynes
    Clem Daniels

I would think that most would say the above players don't belong in the HOF either. So how does Little get nominated? He must have friends on the election staff.

I just don't buy that Little belongs there yet. I don't think he ever played on a pro team with a winning record. Was he the best player on those sad Broncos teams? Probably yes, it just doesn't mean he's a HOF'er.

I saw Floyd Little play from 1970-75. At times he was great, other times he struggled to average 3.5 yards a carry for an entire season.

Maybe he belongs in the Hall....eventually........, but I just feel there's at least 20 more deserving players that deserve inclusion before Little.

Just my honest opinion.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭
    Little is one of the players where he was much better than his stats show. He played on an absolutely horrible broncos team...where he was easily the best player. He is a little like roger maris in baseball....some really great years and the rest so so.
    He was considered a major star of his day. If he did get into the hall it wouldn't upset me at all.....however, the senior pool is filled with more deserving candidates. I give little a <50% chance. I might buy a little RC if the price was reasonable.
    On the other hand, I have felt lebeau has been an overlooked HOFER for nearly 20 years. Now I'm gonna have to start a lebeau player set.
    Looking to buy PSA (8,9) of his cards Have the rc.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
    Don't let the stats mislead you on Floyd Little...You can't look at stats from that era and compare them to RBs of today. From 1968-1973, here are the top 5 rushers, in yards, from that 6 year period:

1- Floyd Little 5,185
    2- OJ Simpson 5,181
    3- Larry Csonka 5,151
    4- Larry Brown 5,037
    5- Leroy Kelly 4,777

The knock on Little has always been, was he great enough long enough. Was that 6 year period enough to warrant inclusion in the HOF? He also shouldn't be punished because he played for terrible Bronco teams.

I think he's a 50/50 shot to get in. He's certainly still held in high regard by the voters old enough to have watched him play, because he's been in the final 15-17 senior candidates for the last 5-6 years. He's one of the candidates who has always been close. Unlike say an Emmitt Thomas or Marshall Goldberg, who's selections were almost out of nowhere. So Little will get his shot finally, and seriously doubt he will ever get another.

Lebeau on the other hand is 99% lock. Just like Madden a couple of years ago, his additional contibutions to the game are going to be considered (unofficially) and I would bet he will get in by a landslide. And rightly so..

Jason
    I was sending out cards to be autographed and was reading the stats of Pete Johnson (RB for the Bengals and Dolphins back in the 70's and 80's). He had nearly 7000 total rushing/receiving yards and scored 82 TD's. That seems like an enormous number of TD's for a player that is practically unknown.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    I wonder if any influence to push Little over the top came as a result of "The Express?"
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if any influence to push Little over the top came as a result of "The Express?" >>

Funny. I had the same thought. Ernie Davis helped recruit Little to Syracuse, just like Jim Brown did with Davis.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."