Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• << <i>Jasen, where is the thread? How do I find it?

Thanks,
    Doc >>

Linky
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭
    jasen

You know my address. PLease send me the commission check for the langer. I still have not tried any bumps myself.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Hey all,

Got an update from Cosetta today in reference to the HOF RC set weighting. She wanted me to pass this along to all who were concerned since we are in a holding pattern until after this years Registry Awards deadline has passed. I think this says a lot that she felt the need to re-assure us that it will be handled ASAP. I think it means that PSA is going to put some serious thought into the issue and we will get some type of resolution with the next few weeks. Hopefully an outcome the majority will be pleased with.

Read below,
    Jason

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Jason,

I wanted to touch base with you to let you know that I have not forgotten about the pricing/weighting for the NFL HOF Rookie Players set.

Right now we are in the midst of updating all of the player sets with addition requests received prior to the deadline for said requests to be made in time for the awards deadline of 5/29.
    Because the pricing/weighting is such an important issue to everyone involved, including the Registry staff, we would like to take the time necessary to review the set and the comparable prices, instead of doing a little at a time in between emails, set updates, phone calls, etc. As soon as we are finished with the player set updates, or reach the awards deadline of 5/29, whichever comes first, we will pick up where we left off and get this issue resolved. This is FIRST on my 'to-do' list and it is NOT going on the dreaded back-burner.

Thank you,
    Cosetta Robbins
    Assistant Set Registry Manager
    Collectors Universe Inc.
    (800) 325-1121 ext #148
    (949) 833-7660 fax
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    That is great, I hope they really have a chance to review every card in the set or at least the cards up to about the 1970's.

Doc
  • JasP24,

Thanks for the update about the Set Weighting, and an even larger thanks to you for using spreadsheets, VCP / SMR data, etc. & your valuable time to make the adjusted Set Weighting recommendation to PSA for the benefit of all users.
  • Anyone else notice there's finally been a '66 Bob Brown graded 9? Wonder if that will find its way into Jon's set.

Jasen
    It's about time, sooner or later one would show up. I hope PSA really cahnges the weighting on that one.

Happy Memorial Day to all,

Doc

• << <i>Anyone else notice there's finally been a '66 Bob Brown graded 9? Wonder if that will find its way into Jon's set.

Jasen >>

Word is out on the street that it will be appearing in the new Heroes of Sport auction coming up pretty quick. Thats the new auction house Will Jaimet of Rose City Sports started image

Do you know the website for the Heroes of Sport auction?

Thanks,
    Doc
  • I recently wrote a column about our PSA Football HOF Rookie Players registry set which appears in the latest issue of Mike Denero's Vintage Sportscards newsletter and it may interest readers here. The column is also available on the Mike Denero's Vintage Sportscards blog link, which appears below.

There may not be much new ground treaded here, and you may not care to read the entire thing. Mike was looking for a new collector's perspective, and there are certainly a lot of sets better than mine:

http://mdsportscards.blogspot.com/2009/05/psa-pro-football-hall-of-fame-rookies.html
    Keith, excellent job..Very well written and certainly worth the time to read...I felt the exact same way when I discovered PSA grading and started collecting the HOF RC's 10 years ago...

Big thumbs up!image

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Killer article Keith, well done!!

here are a few golden "nuggets" from it that made me laugh

Your flowery description of the Norm Van Brocklin card. Now I know they dont use words like "Azure" in Alaska man image Well at least not without getting your a$$ kicked
    "Azure hues fade from this card’s edges"

Jim Brown
    "This joint is the bizz-omb, yo. Is that what the kids are saying these days?"

LOL, with prose like that, dont quit your day job image Ill tell you what, I just wrote an article on the 84 topps sets 25th anniversary for gridiron greats, when it comes out next month, you can make fun of me all day long, Im sure there will be no shortage of ribbing coming from my friends on here image

On the Heroes of sport auction, I dont think Will has the website up yet, its still in design, but he has an add in this months SMR, page 12, with contact info. Should be a good one, he's told me about of few of the offerings coming up, and I was "gracious" enough to allow him to consign a few of my things as well. image

gotta go watch NBA playoffs.....

joe
  • Great Article Keith,
    I think it gave a great perspective and really mirrors my own experience's.

Whats funny is that we all went thru the learning curve on grading and the difference in the companies . My first purchase on Ebay 6 or 7 years ago was a BCCG 10 and my nicest card from my childhood collection was a 1961 Fleer Jim Otto that I was extremely proud of until it came back a PSA 6. Ohh how we learn image
    Looking forward to your next article.
    Thanks Dan
  • revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭
    I had never read at this thread before and found it - and the article by Keith - very interesting. I looked at some of the HOF RC sets in the registry and wondered why the 1955 Topps All American card was considered the rookie card for Benny Friedman? That's a college set, and if college cards are considered there were several that were eariler for Friedman - I have put some on a NY Giants website Link

Is there an offical list of rookie cards?

This candy card is from 1925

<< <i>I had never read at this thread before and found it - and the article by Keith - very interesting. I looked at some of the HOF RC sets in the registry and wondered why the 1955 Topps All American card was considered the rookie card for Benny Friedman? That's a college set, and if college cards are considered there were several that were eariler for Friedman - I have put some on a NY Giants website Link

Is there an offical list of rookie cards?

This candy card is from 1925

image >>

I think the key term to remember is "mainstream". The 55 Topps All-American was Friedman's first in a MAINSTREAM set. The others, like the card you have pictured, are widely considered specialty/regional/oddball cards. Of which, none exist in the HOF RC set. Most importantly, the Beckett Ultimate Rookie Card Encyclopedia lists the Freidman Topps AA as his TRUE rookie card, and rightly or wrongly that is the reference the PSA Set Registry uses to decide TRUE rookies.

Hope this helps explain it for you,
    Jason

• dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting your article Keith, it was a nice read. I only started the registry about a year ago so I could really relate w/ your perspective. 27th is still pretty impressive, far from pedestrian.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭

<< <i>I think the key term to remember is "mainstream". The 55 Topps All-American was Friedman's first in a MAINSTREAM set. The others, like the card you have pictured, are widely considered specialty/regional/oddball cards. Of which, none exist in the HOF RC set. Most importantly, the Beckett Ultimate Rookie Card Encyclopedia lists the Freidman Topps AA as his TRUE rookie card, and rightly or wrongly that is the reference the PSA Set Registry uses to decide TRUE rookies.

Hope this helps explain it for you,
    Jason >>

Yes, it does explain it - and thanks for the reference to the Beckett Ultimate Rookie Card Encyclopedia - I don't actually own that Friedman candy card or the Friedman 1926 Spalding - just have the scans. The 1955 Topps AA set is great for the cards for many of the pros from the pre-WW II era, although I also collect the Diamond Matchbooks, which covers some of my favorite players from the 1930s who are not in the 55 Topps set - even a HOFer like Johnny McNally.

• Hey guys, here are some some cards I just got back from PSA on review. I'm posting here to see if anyone wants them before heading to the 'bay (all prices include shipping):

Hutson 7 $250
    Henry 7 $210
    Huff 7.5 $70
    Otto 8 $65
    Maynard 8 $70
    Bell 8 $125
    Eller 8 $45
    Biletnikoff 8 $700 (nice centering)
    Jackie Smith 8 $125
    Bethea 8 $20
    Wehrli 8 $60
    Langer 10 $300
    Winslow 10 $175
    Lott 9 $45

PM or email me at jasen_cassady@yahoo.com if interested

Jasen

Edit: Scans of cards are available in my CU showcase: http://www.psacard.com/SetRegistry/showcase.aspx?sc=829
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck on your sales Jasen. I think your prices are very fair.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Took a stab at creating the '59 Jim Taylor RC

Not a real clear version but it does give a idea of what it could look like.
    I'll probably try it again sometime maybe with different pictures plus clean up the picture edges.

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
    I like it. That must be the ultimate insult to not have a picture of yourself on your own rookie card!

Doc
  • I was doing some lookin on Ebay and I came across a couple reprints of 57 Unitas and 58 Brown for sale and there listed as reprints, but I thought it was illegal to make reprints unless there was a slight difference in the card or the card had a marking somewhere on the card stating as much?

Item number 130310300428 57 unitas

Its scary how close good they look and really makes it tough to buy cards raw on ebay knowing these are floating around.

Thanks
  • CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭
    I am slowly liquidating my registry set (Fletcher Collection). If I can help anyone with upgrades, please feel free to contact me ... I would be looking for VCP average pricing...thanks!

Pete
    Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...

• << <i>I am slowly liquidating my registry set (Fletcher Collection). If I can help anyone with upgrades, please feel free to contact me ... I would be looking for VCP average pricing...thanks!

Pete >>

Email and pm sent.

Marc
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Even if it says reprint on the card or there are other slight differences, you need the permission of the copyright holder, the holder of any trademarks you're using, and quite likely the holder of the right of publicity for the player involved.

These are counterfeits, plain and simple.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
    Thanks Marc...great speaking with you again today!

Pete
    Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Pete -

Always a pleasure.

BTW, that Heisman set of yours is a beauty...

Anyone who hasn't seen it, should check out Pete's #1 Heisman Set.

WOW!

Marc.
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    ------------

• << <i>Pete -

Always a pleasure.

Marc. >>

You two take this little love affair off line please..... its making me sick

shine box image
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    One card away from 50%. If anyone has any cards that I need please PM me. Here is a link to my set.

Troy and Taylor's HOF Rookies

My Goals are PSA 1-3 for the cards from the 30's
    PSA 4-5 for the cards from the 40's
    PSA 5-7 for the cards from 1950-1955
    PSA 6-7 for the cards from 1956-1960
    PSA 7-8 for the cards from 1961-1979
    PSA 8-9 for the cards from 1980-1989
    PSA 9 for the cards from 1990 to present
    The only cards I am looking for in PSA 10 would be the 1989 Score

Thanks to all of you who have help me on this set so far -- Jasp24 - Lawnmowerman -- Publius -- LU Champions -- CD Nuts -- Davemri. I am sure I missed a few more but thanks guys. This set is a blast to collect.
  • burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    CSUrunandstun - pm sent
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
  • macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    Hey Pete: Hook a brother up! No profit on your AA's............we'll take 'em back for a song!
    FavreFan...I have several you can use...check the registry for "Fletcher Collection"....
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>FavreFan...I have several you can use...check the registry for "Fletcher Collection".... >>

Will do, thanks
  • Thanks for the comments on my article for Mike Denero's Vintage Sports Cards. It looks like I'll be a regular columnist for Mike beginning in late July.

Is there any progress on remedying the out-of-balance Grade Weights for our cherished set? It's been a while since I've heard anything.

In the meantime, I'm looking for someone to trade me their 1950 Bowman Joe Perry PSA 9. In exchange, I'm giving up my 1984 Andre Tippett PSA 8 and 1989 Score Bruce Matthews PSA 7. Hey, this trade will help you move up in the Registry rankings! image

<< <i>Thanks for the comments on my article for Mike Denero's Vintage Sports Cards. It looks like I'll be a regular columnist for Mike beginning in late July.

Is there any progress on remedying the out-of-balance Grade Weights for our cherished set? It's been a while since I've heard anything.

>>

Be sure to post some links to any future card or football related articles...

Haven't heard anything, I will shoot an e-mail to Cosetta and check on the status...

Also, for those who have not heard. Jon Isaacson's #1 rated "Fight4old DC" HOF RC set will FINALLY be inducted into the PSA Set Registry HOF this year. At least a year overdue, but most certainly where the set belongs.

Jason
    News from Cosetta on the grade weighting issue:

Hi Jason,

I wanted to wait until all of the judging for the Set Registry Awards was complete, but I did not forget.
    I have sent Joe spreadsheet outlining the VCP prices realized that showed a large difference in what the SMR listed. I will let you know the outcome.

Thank you,
    Cosetta Robbins
    Assistant Set Registry Manager
    Collectors Universe Inc.
    (800) 325-1121 ext #148
    (949) 833-7660 fax
  • Pete -

Thanks. The cards were received.

and

Jason --

Thanks for letting us know this news.

Happy to hear all Jon's hard work will be rewarded.

Marc
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    ------------
    Thanks for letting me know, Marc...good luck and let me know if you need anything else!
  • I picked up the last of my reviews from the May special from the post office. For those of you not following the "Official May review special results thread", here are a few highlights: overall I was 5-for-22, with the bumps being '81 Winslow (9 to 10), '73 Langer (9 to 10), '52 McElhenny large (7 to 7.5), '50 Groza (7 to 7.5) and the home run of the submission, '48 Bobby Layne (6 to 6.5, thanks Jon). As always, the cards I got back are being made available here first (OK, so a couple of you guys got to me already):

'48 Leaf
    Doak Walker 6 $525
    Bobby Layne 6.5 $3,000
    George McAfee 6 $85
    Bob Waterfield 6 $200
    Charley Trippi 6 $175
    Sammy Baugh 6 $650 SOLD

'50 Bowman
    Lou Groza 7.5 $300 SOLD
    Marion Motley 7 $350

'52 Bowman
    Gino Marchetti 7 $200
    Hugh McElhenny 7.5 $1,000
    Art Donovan 7 $400
    Jack Christiansen $325
    Yale Lary 7 $375

'54 Bowman Doug Atkins 7 $200

For scans of these go to my showcase:

http://www.psacard.com/SetRegistry/showcase.aspx?sc=829

PM or email to jasen_cassady@yahoo.com if interested, thanks.

Jasen
    I have a few cards for sale. Nothing Earth-shattering. Just figured I'd offer em here first:

PSA 9 1980 Topps L. Hayes (late addition to the list)
    PSA 10 1980 Topps O. Anderson
    PSA 9 1999 SP C. Bailey
    PSA 10 2000 SP S. Alexander

Shoot me a PM if you're interested. Thanks.

Andy
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

• << <i>I have a few cards for sale. Nothing Earth-shattering. Just figured I'd offer em here first:

PSA 10 1980 Topps O. Anderson
    PSA 9 1999 SP C. Bailey
    PSA 10 2000 SP S. Alexander

Shoot me a PM if you're interested. Thanks.

Andy >>

Andy
    can you email me scans of the front and back of all three cards, along with closeup scans of all four corners of each card.

I need to make sure they are adequate quality enough for my standards and collection image

joe
    Do you need closeup scans of the back corners as well Joe? image
  • Some very nice cards for this set listed by Dan Bigham on eBay:

Link

Jasen

• << <i>Some very nice cards for this set listed by Dan Bigham on eBay:

Link

Jasen >>

Man I miss this Bill George card that I got from Fletch, then traded to Dan, then he traded back to me, then I traded back to him.

I think that card has seen more parts of the country than most people image

Joey, I think you took advantage of me on the Bill George card...Can you please send me an extra coupla hundy?

Regards,

Fletch

• << <i>

<< <i>Some very nice cards for this set listed by Dan Bigham on eBay:

Link

Jasen >>

Man I miss this Bill George card that I got from Fletch, then traded to Dan, then he traded back to me, then I traded back to him.

I think that card has seen more parts of the country than most people image

image >>

If you miss it so much, quit being such a cheapskate and send Dan the cash! All you have is a measley 8....how pathetic!!!

Jasen
  • I'm looking for a good home for the Bill George, so that takes Joe out of the Bidding image
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭
    That is one sweet bill George. Dan you can't blame joe that his house isn't up to standards. It's his wife's fault. She has the heart of mother teresa...and takes in stray cats. Last count was over 100. The kitty litter smell has got to be overwhelming !!!! Poor ole Joe can't say anything...she took him in when he was homeless. I wonder if she would do it all over as he never left.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Does anyone have the following in ex/mt for sale?

1950 Bowman Y.A. Tittle
    1962 Fleer Billy Shaw

Thanks,
    Reese
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!