Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

COMPLETE 80's Baseball Rip HAPPY THANKSGIVING RIP EM ALL 2DAY

Comments

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Stone Cold Medina.....opened my 89 TOPPS pack and got one of the hottest rookie cards from my area way back when....we thought he was going to be a superstar.....load up on those 100 card bricks!!
    >>

Ummm...I think you meant *Funky* Cold Medina.
  • Options
    wow thats a mighty fine griffey piman that looks like a solid 9 or 10 hows the holo on the back look?
    . That means 2 griffeys in one box I hope our other packs are that plentifull with starsimage
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    It is funky...Stone Cold is Steve Austin isn't it???
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for running behind a day. Here are my UD and Topps packs contents.
    James

1989 Upper Deck Pack 1
    76 Jim Deshaies
    129 John Cerutti
    171 Eric Show
    174 Dave Henderson
    219 Steve Jeltz
    265 Ozzie Smith
    288 Terry Leach
    414 Bruce Sutter
    463 Jeff Kunkel
    542 Mike Boddicker
    545 Tom Bolton
    549 Floyd Bannister
    618 Jeff Montgomery
    686 Rangers Team
    688 Reds Team

1989 Upper Deck Pack 2
    15 Lance Blankenship
    40 Ed Romero
    57 John Dopson
    210 Rickey Henderson
    237 Willie Randolph
    288 Terry Leach
    349 Dave Winfield
    363 Dave Leiper
    418 Steve Buechele
    428 Paul O'Neill
    508 Rey Quinones
    564 Ron Hassey
    580 Gene Larkin
    644 Rod Booker
    681 Mets Team

1989 Topps Pack 1
    14 Twins Team
    30 Doc Gooden
    146 Gary Pettis
    166 Doug Jennings
    183 Oddibe McDowell
    340 Kirk Gibson
    349 Ron Jones
    457 Mackey Sasser
    533 Andy Hawkins
    554 Nick Esasky
    569 German Jimenez
    583 Paul Gibson
    607 Willie Ansley
    647 Randy Johnson
    748 Jimmy Jones

1989 Topps Pack 2
    52 Bob Brenly
    232 Ricky Horton
    272 Ron Hassey
    346 Rex Hudler
    351 Giants Team
    355 Mark Langston
    379 Tim Flannery
    450 Roger Clemens
    565 Jeff Russell
    576 Greg Minton
    600 Wade Boggs
    611 Don Slaught
    635 Willie Randolph
    706 Pete Incaviglia
    787 Dave West
  • Options
    Very nice UD Griffey Piman58. Congratulations.
    James
  • Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    80s..the hologram looks to be in excellent condition.

Thanks jfkheat.

Charles
  • Options
    1989 Fleer:

• Options
    Ok Piman, your griffey is better than mine, but I bet you didn't pull a William Brennan or a Timothy Leary!
  • Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    not much to speak of with 89 ud, i think ozzie smith was my best pull. my first ever 89 ud rip so that was great.
    Bob
  • Options
    Here's my 89 topps. The highlights are the Freddy Lynn, Hawk AS, and the Kevin McReynolds record breaker.

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    Here's the 89 topps. I was a huge Bo fan when I was 12 so this was pretty cool to see again.

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    well it looks like our 89 fleer box was an error box. I just pulled 2 tom brookens/mike heath errors from my pack one has wax on it but 2 in the same pack thats pretty cool. image

• Options
    I got an awesome pack!!! Not any HOFers, not any RC's, but the(drum roll)...............................................

All Mustache pack!

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    You're giving Mitch a 'gimme' on that stache, aint ya? image
  • Options

<< <i>You're giving Mitch a 'gimme' on that stache, aint ya? image >>

Yep, I had the scan smaller and you couldn't see it at all. So I had to supersize it. That is legitimately the only reason I went beyond an 800 wide pic!

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    I'm actually kind of glad these '89 packs are so horrible ... means the universe will correct itself for me when we get to the good stuff image ... right?

"best" of the '89 Topps:

Remember how big of stud Matt Williams was back in '89?
    ... and look at the other guy ... named after an injury -- poor guy image

best of '89 Fleer:

I'm a HUGE Willie McGee fan ... very underrated!
    ... and gotta love Blackjack ...

I do really love the look of the '89 Fleer ... I was 12 back in '89 (born the same year as Zef in fact --- 1976) and distinctly remember buying nearly all Topps (and A LOT of it) --- wish I would have gotten my hands on more Fleer!

-Tom
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • Options
    Not bad so far. I would be very happy with a consistent run of Ryan, Clark and Greenwell throughout this rip. image

My scanner sucks dirty hippo ass so I may have to switch up to group-year scans for the rest of the '89s and '88s. I don't have a fancy-schmancy scanner does the magic black-background scan like Zef's (image) so I have to use a piece of black construction paper. This is what happens when you spend all your money on cards and DVDs. Let this be a lesson to all of you.

Arthur

Edited to add: I forgot the picture. D'oh!
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

'89 Fleer - rip

Fleer did a good job, nice looking cards!

Highlights from 2 packs!

rd

• Options
    Actually, those are '89 Fleer X-Fractors. Yeah, I bet you guys didn't know they started doing those back then. Well I pulled 'em and they are true 1/1.

I even nabbed a special a special gold-foil border Nolan Ryan in my '89 Topps pack. I'd hate to think of what some scumbag seller's on eBay would do if they had scans like this ...

"1989 Fleer Nolan Ryan X-Fractor ERROR 1/1 PSA 10?"

Arthur
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    1989 Fleer, ummm, errr, ehhh...

Lou Whitaker? That's about all I got. Maybe that Cameron Drew guy will pan out...

Yikes. Again.

My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    ZEF- That Guillermo is a error. Errant red ink spot on armpit. I have a lighter one and one airbrushed.
    Someone told me they had 8 different variations of it. ?? Value =around 13 cents, give or take a nickel.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    XanaduNow, I am loving those Ryan'simage and at least you have a scannerimage I do have a scanner/copier/fax on my desk at work, but I have never used it....hmmmm, maybe I need to learn.

It will give me something to do today besides just goofing off and reading these boards image

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Dawson looks mean in that pic.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Well my Fleer pack was your run of the mill type. A few stars (2 HOFers) and a few more commons.

Mark Langston
    Don Robinson
    Dave Bergman
    Orel Hershiser
    Mickey Tettleton
    Bill Doran
    Dennis Eckersley
    Dave Winfield
    Hal Morris
    Greg Harris
    Jeff Russell
    Gerald Perry
    Pitcher Perfect Tom Browning
    Greg Mathews
    Jeff Kaiser

I always liked that Fleer would have some season highlight cards at the end of the set. I still find that I like them.

Any one get any of the All-Star Inserts yet?
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    All Star Insert? You guys got wax right? I think those are in cello only.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    no there were all star inserts in wax fleer for the record inserts were in racks onlyimage
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

My '89 Fleers had the old diamond cut... Anyone ever read "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" by Stephen King. It's been awhile, but I remember it being not awful.

• Options
    Horrible 89 fleer pack best was a chris gwynn. Hoowa!
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    I opened two Fleer packs. They were almost identical collation. Generally this would be bad. However, in this case it was good because they both contained Billy Ripken cards. It seemed strange that one was the FF and the other was a black box. Here are the best of the two packs. In addition, I opened the two Donruss packs. The best card was Biggio. It was a lot of fun opening these packs.

David
  • Options
    It was always very rare to get duplicate cards in Fleer boxes from that era. It's strange that you got 2 Billy Ripken as I also pulled a Ripken black box card in one of my packs.
    James
  • Options
    Nice Ripkens Pack Man. Wanna trade anything for that ff
  • Options
    I would trade the ff for a Luzinski or Reggie Jackson card. If you don't pull one that you want to trade, I will send it to you anyways as a "thank you" for organizing the pack rip. Just PM me your address.

David
  • Options
    Here's my 1989 fleer. I puled a Felix Jose rookie.

• Options
    1989 Donruss time!

Pulled a Griff!

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Wow, the Griffey actually looks much nicer in person. The top edge is a little rough, but all 4 corners are square. I'll try it with a white backgrond and see if it scans better.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Let's see if this one better captures it.

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Nice Griffey you got there Zefimage I like the white background better.

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    1989 Donruss.

Well, my "Yikes" streak is at three consecutive packs now. The "star" of this pack was the Andres Galarraga MVP, sad to say. Andres, while not a HOFer, was a hell of a player for a very long time.

Maybe the next pack will have something in it.

Nice Donruss pack, Zef!
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Well, this may be my best pack so far. All in great condition. Two Roider's and one potential HOFer's and a cigarette company.

Canseco MVP card
    Bob Forsch
    Lance McCullers
    R.J. Reynolds
    Mike Aldrete
    Dale Sveum
    Mookie Wilson
    Rich Gossage
    Gary Sheffield
    Henry Cotto
    Kelly Gruber
    Bert Blyleven
    Danny Jackson
    Gerald Perry (DK)
    Greg Walker
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    That Allen has 2 versions. home as Syosset or Saratosa.

Odd about the FF and BBox in same box. I pulled a BBox and saw cut FF in same box before. I think it was BBox print run and a FF was throw in intentionally like the saw cuts appear to have been done. Also Heath/Brookens corrected seems more rare so they fixed it real late, I think.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    That is interesting about Fleer adding the FF to the corrected boxes. If that is the case (and it sure seems like it) then it would add credibility to the fact that the ff was probably a marketing gimic rather then a true error card. Another option is that it started as a true error card and morphed into a marketing gimic.

David
  • Options

<< <i>That is interesting about Fleer adding the FF to the corrected boxes. If that is the case (and it sure seems like it) then it would add credibility to the fact that the ff was probably a marketing gimic rather then a true error card. Another option is that it started as a true error card and morphed into a marketing gimic.

David >>

Not to hijack, but I agree. I have 2 saw cuts on unopened racks and pulled one. I have seen a few other saw cuts on racks and know of plenty that were pulled. The collation was different each time which means they were put in by hand. Fleer said a few saw cuts "slipped" in. I disagree. Theres quite a few out there. Plus I have saw cuts in FF,3 scribble versions,white scribble and Double Die. MAny will say teh saw cuts are easily faked but I have 2 versions on rack packs and have pics of a few of the others. I know many walked out the back door and were hid in bra's but many are in packs. Well wax and rack as far as I know.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I'm happy image

Got a Glavine 2nd year, a Red Sox and Hensley "Bam Bam" Meulens! I remember when he was supposed to be the next big thing. I think it was right after when Matt Nokes was supposed to be huge.

Zef, nice Griff. What do you want for that Greenwell? image

Arthur
  • Options
    well my donruss pack wasn't to bad heres the highlites.image

Nice griff zef all these griffeys sure look pretty
  • Options
    TZAHLTZAHL Posts: 649 ✭✭
    I remember that donruss pack. 5 superstar cards in it! I will try to get my photos posted tonight. I need to sign up for photobucket. I pulled a Smoltz Upper Deck and that has been the highlight so far. Sorry for being behind!

Travis
    Trying to complete:
    2000 Bowman Chrome
    2002 Topps Heritage NAP
    2003 Topps Heritage chrome and seat relics
    2006 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2007 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2008 Topps Heritage refractors and relics
    2006 Topps Heritage and Topps Chrome football
  • Options
    ranarana Posts: 242
    1989 Donruss:

I think I'm still saving up karma to pull a mint 84 Donruss Mattingly!
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    ......well hopefully everyone has gotten their package, because mine DID arrive today.......

I decided not to open many of the packs, unless I already have a dup..................I already have all the Topps packs ....so those will get opened...............

....I will let you know what i get......

I pulled out one of my spare 89 Fleer cello packs the other day, opened and was pleased to find a Ripken FF card. image
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

I think I may even submit this one when the $5 special rolls around in November (hint, hint).

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I seem to have fallen a bit behind....opened two packs today.....here's scans of some of the better cards received....also the list of cards received follows the pictures.......can someone help...I got Treadway card from 1989, wasn't that some sort of possible error card???

In addition to the 89 Fleer in the scan, I also got:

Mike Bielecki
    Brian Harper
    Stew Cliburn
    Bill Wegman
    Spike Owen
    Chris Speier
    Dave Callagher
    Jeff Treadway
    Kevin Elster
    Jeffrey Leonard and a Mets sticker

In the 89 Donruss: