Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

COMPLETE 80's Baseball Rip HAPPY THANKSGIVING RIP EM ALL 2DAY

Comments

• pulled a nice bogss and cam rc

• jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Not much in the 88 score. I did get another Winfield. If anyone is a collector of his let me know I have gotten a few of them. Hopefully, the pack gods are saving my some goodies in the early 80's RC's!!
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • 88 score brings back memories I was 12 and a lucky kid whos mom did not throw out my piles and piles of 88 and 89 stuff.
    Boy its gotta be worth gold by nowimage
    Thanks Ma
  • Not too much in the 1988 topps pack. The Sierra had the gum stuck to the back. The Bowa is one of the few cards I have pulled so far that has a chance at a PSA 10.

• rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    88 topps n' 88 score (those 1988 Topps packs looked sweet! but I ripped 'em anyway! )image

rd

• zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    My 88 score cards...

I noticed that I had 8 national league players. 6 of which were photographed at Wrigley Field. Was score on a limited budget and had a Chicago based photog for NL players?

I then went back to look at the other cards we ripped and the only other that I noticed some consistency was 89 Bowman. 10 out of my 12 cards look like the pictures were taken in Spring Training.

I ma have just thought of a new registry set. Cards with the pic taken at Wrigley. What did I just do? image
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • ranarana Posts: 242
    1988 Sportflics:

(I was curious how these things would scan, and now I know)

I won't be able to post again for a few days, but I'll be back with the remainder of the highlights eventually...
  • Can't wait until tomorrow's '87 Fleer pack bust! image

But please guys, keep posting scans of those '88 Sportflics!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    no luck in the sportficks pack. though I do like the design of the 88 set. nice a clean. will have to take a look at my set this weekend and feel younger again.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • The missing 81 fleer packs went out this morningimage
  • Yeah, that about does it for me with the '88s. Nothing else to report. But, from here on out this should be quite interesting. I can't wait to rip the '87 Fleer. C'monnnnnnn WILL CLARK! image

Arthur

• << <i>The missing 81 fleer packs went out this morningimage >>

Also, something to think about when everyone rips their '87 Fleer ... if you open the pack and Will Clark is the top card you're also going to get a Bonds. I remember this from '89. I ripped a bunch of '87 Fleer trying to get Will Clark's RC and on at least 4 occasions I got one right on the top of the pack. Every time there was a Bonds further down.

Back then, the Clark was going for $20+ and the Bonds was $1.50. How times have changed image

Arthur

PS. I'd still rather pull a Clark image
  • detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭✭
    rana, those Sportflics scans are really really cool.

Thanks for sharing.

And how sick is it that some of you are posting scans of 1988 Topps and Score baseball while others (myself included) eagerly await the next batch of scans? I think PSA has us right where they want us image.
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

Here are ny 88 sportflics...

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Here are my 88 score. These are really nice cards and generally nice shape, although I don't think any are gems.

• It's 1987 Fleer time! Unfortunately, I didn't pull any major stars, but I did pull a couple of rookie cards....

....the rest of the pack goes like this....

Padres Sticker
    Garry Templeton
    Greg Walker
    Mike Young
    Julio Cruz
    Greg Minton
    Neal Heaton
    Roger Mason (PSA 9 candidate)
    Don Robinson
    Rick Burleson
    Leon Durham
    Jim Presley
    Jay Howell
    Juan Berenguer
    Dave Smith
    Moose Haas

.....so, there you have it! Fun to open these...lots of good memories! But, I don't remember the centering problems being this tough. Left to right problems on most of the pack and only two cards (Moyer & Mason) that are 9 candidates, IMO.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    87 Fleer highlights:

Jack Morris
    Paul Molitor (has some print dots though)
    Willie Randolph
    and drum roll
    Roger Clemens All Star Insert (I am sure everyone thought a Bonds)
    - boy does he look young in this pic.
    -its a solid 9

Scans coming later today.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • I had a great '87 Fleer pack. I still remember when this Sierra was considered quite a pull. image

Arthur
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Didn't do too well with my packs. I got caught up today and went a little future since I am really busy this weekend....thought it was kind of weird in that I got two Tommy Hume's in the same pack...great collation.....image
    imageimage
  • Pulled a couple of nice cards out of my '87 Donruss pack including a Will Clark rookie. Check 'em out....

...rest of the pack goes like this....

Rick Sutcliffe
    Ozzie Virgil
    RJ Reynolds
    Tom Browning
    Glenn Wilson
    Glenn Davis
    Greg Walker
    Mike Witt
    Ed Correa
    Tim Raines
    Jose Rijo

....not bad. Good memories opening these up again....one of my favorites back in the day. Great player selection in this set.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Boy, doesn't seem that many of us are posting around these parts, huh?

Come on guys! Rip, scan, post! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • pulled a nice Jackson from my fleer pack and a really sweet donruss Kirby. Think I'll submit the kirby.

But where are all the bonds and macgwires and madduxs hiding. I know there out thereimage
    Come on guys share with us Theres some who havent posted a thing yetimage

Nothing much in my '87 Topps pack aside from the Ripken AS...but, that Dykstra used to be a pretty hot card at the start of the '87 season! image

...the rest goes like this....

Mark Eichhorn
    Fernando Valenzuela AS
    Manny Trillo
    Greg Swindell
    Mike Brown
    Ken Griffey
    Steve Trout
    Eddie Milner
    Curt Young
    Bill Almon
    Hal McRae
    Astros Leader card (Yogi Berra)
    Ed Hearn
    Phil Bradley
    Mike Lavalliere

....so, not much. We are nearly heading into '86 country....should be some fun stuff comin' up! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>I had a great '87 Fleer pack. I still remember when this Sierra was considered quite a pull. image

Arthur >>

that ryne sandberg looks sweet!

rd
    Well, I finally got to rip some packs today. Results. Thankfully no one in the 87 Donruss pack as all cards with OC 90-10(LR). 87 Topps was good. Cecil Fielder and Nolan Ryan. Sportficks not bad either. I got a Cecil Cooper, one of my favorties from the Brew Crew. image
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    My '87 Sportflics yielded....

Card #66 - Pat Tabler - Cleveland Indians
    Pat, an aggressive fastball hitter, loves to bat with runners on base and, best of all, with the bases loaded. He hit .340 with runners in scoring position in '85 and had six hits in seven at bats with the bases full. In Pat's first three seasons with the Indians, he batted a major league leading .629 (22-35) with the bases loaded. In 1986, he had his first .300 season in the majors as he finished fourth in the league in batting. He also was named Player of the Week in late August (.593) and led the A.L. in hitting in August (.463).

Card #162 - Bill Doran - Houston Astros
    Bill, in only his fourth full season in the major leagues, has become a leader of the surprising Astros and was considered by some to be the team's most valuable player in 1986. An exceptional defensive second baseman with soft hands and good range, he has excellenet speed on the bases and is a disciplined hitter at the plate. Bill led the Astros in runs, stolen bases and walks in '86 for the second season in a row. He is an intense competitor on one of the season's better teams, yet hardly anyone knows about him. "If it weren't for Ryne Sandberg," said one opposing coach, "Bill would be an All Star second baseman in a walk."

Card #196 - Outstanding Feat By Baseball's Top Players - 1986 Season Highlights (Bob Horner whacks four homers, Roger Clements strikes out 20 & Joe Cowley pitches a no hitter!)
    Bob became only the 11th player ever to hit four home runs in one game on July 6 against the Expos. Despite his heroics, the Braves lost 11-8. Bob's first three homers were hit off of Andy McGaffigan - solo shots in the second and fourth innings and a three-run homer in the fifth. After fouling out to first in the seventh, he smacked another solo homer off of reliever Jeff Reardon in the ninth.
    Roger set a thrilling major league record when he struck out 20 batters in a Red Sox 3-1 win over the Mariners on April 29. The old mark of 19 was shared by three future Hall of Famers - Steve Carlton (1969), Tom Seaver (1970) and Nolan Ryan (1974). Roger struck out the side three times and his eight K's in a row (fourth, fifth and sixth innings) tied an A.L. mark. He had two strikes on six of the other 10 batters he faced. In all, Roger threw 138 pitches, 97 for strikes.
    Joe tossed the majors first no-hitter in nearly two years (Mike Witt's perfect game on the lasty of the 1984 season was the last) on September 19 when the White beat the Angels 7-1. It was the 178th on the all-time list and the 13th in which the losing team scored a run. Joe struck out eight and walked seven, while throwing 138 pitches - 69 for strikes and 69 for balls. "His wildness is what made him so good" said Wally Joyner. "He either walked you or you swung at a bad pitch."

....figured that I'd include what was on the back of the cards since the scans wouldn't have come out that good. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    I have fallen behind.... I will get caught up with scanning & posting in a day or two.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • I'm behind. Here is 1988 Sportflics

Boy, I feel stupid....I posted a message to the hockey pack break thread showing everyone this card.....it was from my 84 Donruss pack which I opened early since I was submitting some cards to PSA.
    forgot to mention that the small white dot in the upper right corner is dust on my scanner.....guess I need to clean it.....image
  • lol, I saw that about 20 minutes or so ago Alnav. I was like "hmmm, I wonder when he'll go back into that hockey thread and notice".
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Well Ive pulled a 89,88,87 and now a 86 mattingly I really want to open the 84 packs nowimage
  • Guys ... I've been in Hawaii (Kaua'i) for the past 5 days ... got some catching up to do .... here is a selection of my '88s....

First, Topps & Sportsflics....

Arthur, that Greenwell has your name all over it. PM me your address and it's yours image

next up, '88 Fleer...

How rare/difficult are those All Star insert pulls? It felt pretty cool pulling one. Also, gotta love the late great Quisenberry and I just really LOVE the look of this set... underrated set design, really...

Finally, '88 Donruss...

Gotta love Gaetti in '88 ... punk beat my Cards in the World Series the year prior. Nice looking Brett card, too....

I'll post my '87's tomorrow.

-Tom
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
    Pulled one of those Fleer All Star cards that I could never get back in '86 and a Robin Yount card image

...the rest of the pack goes like this....

Pittsburgh Pirates sticker
    Bruce Bochte - As
    Greg Harris - Rangers
    Dave LaPoint - Giants
    Tim Birtsas - As
    Mike Stenhouse - Twins
    Jerry Reuss - Dodgers
    Eric Show - Padres
    Joe Cowley - Yankees
    Reid Nichols - White Sox
    Andy McGaffigan - Reds
    Tito Landrum - Cardinals

...not terrible, but not great. Come on '86 Donruss, help me out! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Thanks Tom!

I've got some catching up to do. This rip is great. I love pulling the cards that are "worthless" now but were prized gems back when I was a kid. And how great were the Topps gold cups? As a kid, any time you pulled a gold cup or a future star it always made it into your binder.

Didn't Worrell win NL ROY?

Arthur
  • EstilEstil Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭✭
    Indeed, it was a lot of fun when I started collecting my 1980s sets (that was my original goal) and getting, for example, that b/w 1990 Score Bo Jackson card that used to go for up to $10 (boy what could've been had Mr. Jackson not gotten hurt), and the 1989 Bill Ripken **** Face card (actually I bought a 1989 Fleer factory set that had that boring black box card; I had to get the **** Face card seperately; the 1989 Fleer set isn't really complete unless you have the uncensored Bill Ripken card. And maybe some of those late 1980s/early 1990s sets are only $5-$10 now, but you still get ALL the great Hall of Famers from that time, and who cares if the 1984 & 1985 Donruss sets are only worth about half of their peak values; they're the same cards as before and just as much classics as they were back then, right? image
    WISHLIST
    D's: 54S,53P,50P,49S,45D+S,44S,43D,41S,40D+S,39D+S,38D+S,37D+S,36S,35D+S,all 16-34's
    Q's: 52S,47S,46S,40S,39S,38S,37D+S,36D+S,35D,34D,32D+S
    74T: 37,38,47,151,193,241,435,570,610,654,655 97 Finest silver: 115,135,139,145,310
    73T:31,55,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,80,152,165,189,213,235,237,257,341,344,377,379,390,422,433,453,480,497,545,554,563,580,606,613,630
    95 Ultra GM Sets: Golden Prospects,HR Kings,On-Base Leaders,Power Plus,RBI Kings,Rising Stars
  • where is the canseco hidingimage

• << <i>where is the canseco hidingimage >>

Unfortunately, not in my '86 Donruss pack image

I didn't quite 'hit the jackpot' with the '86 Donruss pack, but it was fun to bust! I might have to pick up some more of this year. I love the design and has lots of good cards in the set. Although, the "big" rookies of Canseco, McGriff & Fielder have all lost their umph. But, still got some fan favorites like 'Nails', Daulton & O'Neill among others. As well as solid 2nd year cards of Clemens & Puckett.

...the rest of the pack goes like this...

Jerry Reuss
    Gilberto Reyes
    Buddy Bell
    Gary Gaetti
    Mike Boddicker
    Dave Shipanoff rated rookie
    Toby Harrah
    John Mizerock
    Rick Manning
    Jose Uribe
    Jerry Royster

.....good luck guys!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
    I tried to get caught up today. I opened all of my 86 packs and the two best cards are displayed. Unfortunately the Fleer card has wax on the back. Brought back memories though of Kirby...great hitter during his playing days.

• Thats a nice pair of kirbysimage
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭
    Hey if some of you guys are willing to trade your 86 Donruss to me for something, Let me know. I'm not really looking for any stars just very well centered high gradeable cards. I have been working on the set for a couple of months now and have made it to #2 in the registry. Thanks T_Bank

• T Bank - I'm curious. How do you store a complete set of slabbed cards? 700-800 cards...that's one big shoebox.
  • My 1986 Topps pack was horrific image

As you can tell by my 'best' cards on the scan....there wasn't much. The Stewart looks like it was laid flat on a driveway and dragged across the concrete a bit. Plus, the rest of the cards were very off center....some were nearly miscut! Wow, tough centering on these badboys.

....the rest of the pack goes like this....

White Sox Leaders (Richard Dotson)
    Rob Wilfong
    Bill Caudill
    Herm Winningham
    Jeff Dedmon
    Dave Dravecky
    Dave Stieb
    Chuck Cottier
    Wayne Krenchicki
    Chuck Porter
    Tim Hulett
    George Frazier
    Dan Petry

....I hope I have better luck with my '85s image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭

<< <i>T Bank - I'm curious. How do you store a complete set of slabbed cards? 700-800 cards...that's one big shoebox. >>

I usually store my Psa slabbed cards in the vault or Super vault boxes, I dont have a complete PSA graded set that large yet(700+ cards). I do have some smaller Kelloggs sets and partial Psa sets in Vault boxes and a few Mj Roop boxes. I can usually fit about 75 or so cards in a vault box.

• Sorry for being late in the game guys. I took on a new client two weeks ago and have had no spare time. Here are my 1986 cards:

Always looking for interesting Don Mattingly and New York Yankees related items.