Options

COMPLETE 80's Baseball Rip HAPPY THANKSGIVING RIP EM ALL 2DAY

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    1983 fleer, donruss & topps.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As usual I'm behind schedule. Not much in most of the packs since the last time I posted. BUT, I did pretty good with the 1982 packs. Not 1 but 2 Ripken rookies, Topps and Fleer. The Topps is off centered but the Fleer looks great. Here is a picture with a couple other cards I also pulled. Hope it works.
    James

• Options
    rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    nice pulls james!
    that 82 fleer ripken is the toughest one and yours looks pretty sweet.
    Bob
  • Options
    I forgot all about this thread but here is the one card i got worth posting. It made the rip worth it for me!
    (It is not creased or messed up surface wise, that is the penny sleave)

My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    Man james you lucky dog you pulled 2 ripkens. And fisch that henderson looks like a solid 9. Well hopefully after xmas we will get enough interest to do this rip again it sure has been funimage
  • Options
    Got my sub back from PSA ...

here are two cards from this bust. I'm very happy!

imageimage

Thanks again 80's Junkie --- it was a lot of fun!

-Tom
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Interesting read in hindsight...............
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Interesting read in any sight! this is the post that lured me to the board. THIS is what collecting is all about- just a bunch of guys sitting around, BSing about old cards and saying WTF, let's rip some of these babies!! If 80sJ made a profit on these boxes, i wish i hadn't even known. seems like most did pretty well on these and had a blast. this witch hunt is reminding me of that movie Quiz Show.... Yeah, TV lied to us, but weren't we all entertained? and who's richer knowing the actual truth we never even wanted to know about to begin with? unfortunately, with mob rule, if yr the target of the aggression, it's best to just keep yr mouth shut and run before yr run out on the proverbial rail. no matter how clean he comes with everyone, he's still going to be looking over both shoulders every show he attends, if he attends. maybe this is deserving, maybe not, and i'm not defending......
  • Options
    kadokakidkadokakid Posts: 426 ✭✭
    Roar:

Good post, I didn't see anyone questioning the quality during the rip.

Mob mentality definately ruled on this unfortunate situation.

It's to bad everyone wanted to triple their money on a wax break, just not gonna happen.

Peace

Doug
    Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wish i hadn't even known. seems like most did pretty well on these and had a blast. this witch hunt is reminding me of that movie Quiz Show.... Yeah, TV lied to us, but weren't we all entertained? and who's richer knowing the actual truth we never even wanted to know about to begin with?

The resealers and the pack factories that pollute ebay count on reasoning like this.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    It's to bad everyone wanted to triple their money on a wax break, just not gonna happen.

Huh? I was of the impression that all anyone wanted was what they PAID for.

Must be an alt.

steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    kadokakidkadokakid Posts: 426 ✭✭
    Not an alt.

Lots of complaining in the 75 mini rip do to quality issues, didn't really see it here.

Just fun to watch the mob mentality and the extensive investigative work done over a few dollars.

Peace

Doug
    Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • Options
    Yeah you are prolly right, you ain't an alt. You can spell.

However many here would argue that it was only a few dollars.

Also, trust was lost here as well.

thanks for your opinion though.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>Not an alt.

Lots of complaining in the 75 mini rip do to quality issues, didn't really see it here.

Just fun to watch the mob mentality and the extensive investigative work done over a few dollars.

Peace

Doug >>

Doug,

With all do respect I think you have overlooked A LOT of lying and hiding that Gary did. Also, keep in mind this was his first rip. If there were questions about it he never would have been able to continue to get more $$.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>i wish i hadn't even known. seems like most did pretty well on these and had a blast. this witch hunt is reminding me of that movie Quiz Show.... Yeah, TV lied to us, but weren't we all entertained? and who's richer knowing the actual truth we never even wanted to know about to begin with?

The resealers and the pack factories that pollute ebay count on reasoning like this. >>

was referring to the profit made on the boxes....no proof of resealing AND reselling yet. though i sincerely believe we prevented it.
  • Options
    Was there ever more than one of any star cards in any rips 80'2 headed up? I mean i pulled the Henderson rookie, so i was happy with this rip, but in this and others i dont recall ever seeing more than one of any star rookie. I think in the busting of all of these boxes, at least one time we should have had a really great box and pulled multiple star rookies. My theory is he ripped the key boxes in each group rip until he hit a star rookie and the the rest of the packs he left as he recived them from bbce. That is why we either never hit a big rookie in some boxes, or never more than one.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    no proof of resealing AND reselling yet.

You're kidding, right?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Doug,

With all do respect I think you have overlooked A LOT of lying and hiding that Gary did. Also, keep in mind this was his first rip. If there were questions about it he never would have been able to continue to get more $$. >>

good point Zef....guess i just try to get everyone to not be so high and mighty. some things, like that 80s rip, and childhood memories, you just want to remember the way they were. like if i weren't told the truth later, i never would have wanted to know. stupid example: i ate, what i thought was a nice plate of brocolli and cheese. tasted wonderful, until my wife told me it was what she had just spat out because it was too hard to chew! i would have loved not knowing....
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Was there ever more than one of any star cards in any rips 80'2 headed up? I mean i pulled the Henderson rookie, so i was happy with this rip, but in this and others i dont recall ever seeing more than one of any star rookie. I think in the busting of all of these boxes, at least one time we should have had a really great bow and pulled multiple star rookies. My theory is he rippied the key boxes in each rip until he hit a star rookie and the the rest of the packs he left as he recived them from bbce. That is why we either never hit a big rookie in some boxes, or never more than one. >>

DING! DING! DING!

And it took him 3 weeks to ship?

Right....
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    not going thru the whole post...let the obsessors do that. but i remember 1 guy (not Gary) pulling 2 Ripken Rookies, there were 2 89UD Griffeys, a few Gwynn rookies, some nice Mattinglys.....looked on the up and up, but who really knows?
  • Options
    double post.....
  • Options
    OnlypsahockeyOnlypsahockey Posts: 1,479 ✭✭
    Gary got the Gwynns.

I saw a bunch of commons, semistars and off grade stars... maybe 4 legit hits total.

How many boxes did they rip again? 32?

Bob C.

EDIT: THEY RIPPED 36 BOXES!!!!!

GREAT PULLS!!!!!
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    .looked on the up and up, but who really knows?

You're a resealer's wet dream. image

• Options

<< <i>Roar:

Good post, I didn't see anyone questioning the quality during the rip.

Mob mentality definately ruled on this unfortunate situation.

Peace

Doug >>

Doug, with all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about.

I participated in 4 of Gary's rips -- spent over $400.

Yes --- I got a Bud Black 84D in Gem Mint 10, a Nice Mattingly, and an Elway RC in the football rip ....

...but I also spent $400 for a specific product from BBCE. Gary has no verified that a lot of the product he shipped was from his own inventory, not BBCE. That's not what I paid for --- REGARDLESS of what is pulled. I'm a collector, not an investor ---- non of my rips have been for dollars.

For you to come on here after this fiasco and throw out lines like "It's to bad everyone wanted to triple their money on a wax break" is very offensive to us collectors who spent a lot of money to participate in these things to have fun and feel like kids again --- only to fnd out later that we'd be conned.

Why don't you get off your self-righteous soap box --- you're no better than anyone else.

-Tom
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knowing they were going to be busted on here Im sure he didnt pull all the stars just enough to make his "profit" and keep doing it.
  • Options
    page turn.
    - Building these sets:
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Ok here is a post from someone who busted his 89 Fleer packs, I thought these two cards came out several months apart, We may need to ask the resident Ripken FF expert how these two cards could be in the same box ?

I opened two Fleer packs. They were almost identical collation. Generally this would be bad. However, in this case it was good because they both contained Billy Ripken cards. It seemed strange that one was the FF and the other was a black box. Here are the best of the two packs. In addition, I opened the two Donruss packs. The best card was Biggio. It was a lot of fun opening these packs.

• Options
    By the way on the pulls of the Gwynn and Griffey rookies, These cards were pulled from foil packs 83 Michigan Test, 89 Upper Deck Foil(almost impossible to re-seal).

• Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It seemed strange that one was the FF and the other was a black box. >>

I am almost positive that this is impossible. I would be like a 1 in a million screw up from the factory if that occured.
  • Options
    I just went back a scanned through the thread pretty quick to look at the pulls, So if Someone wants to go back and check out it out please do.

I saw where Gary Pulled an 89,88,87, and 86 Mattingly.

I did not see where anyone pulled A ;Clemens rookie, A Mcgwire Rookie from 85 Topps or a Mattingly Rookie from any company.
    Kinda strange that three of the biggest rookie cards from the decade are missing.
    Please someone go back and double check my checking.

• Options
    With fleer anything is possible. However i was right in the middle of that nonsense back in 89 and I did not get any that way. If I remm correctly the FF came first followed by the scribble, then the black box then the white out version. Also I remm reading here that they had maybe 2 more versions. But like I said with fleer anything is possible.

strange.

Steve
    Good for you.