Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1963 Topps baseball - official PSA thread

Comments

• Options
    Hello fellow 63ers, what should one expect to pay for a nice, centered #1 NL Batting Leaders?
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    VCP for a PSA 8 is $157. The most recent one sold for more than $300, and it was not particularly well centered. I paid more than $200 for mine; it is dead centered.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Last five went for $306.99, $135.83, $149.99, $175 (BIN), $108.28. Good luck with your search! Here's mine:

• Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Great looking leader card!! image
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob, your #1 Leader card is awesome....thanks for posting it!!
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the #1 Leader card. Features 3 Hall of Famers and 2 excellent players. Great stuff.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    I am not going for all graded with this set; I'm doing raw with graded stars. Plus I don't know if I'll ever actually finish it.

That said, I am pretty happy with this one. I paid for it about 10 minutes ago. C'mon, mailman- hurry the hell up!

'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    That is a superb Ford!!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    refreshing thread
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That is a superb Ford!! >>

The centering on that Ford is ' Perfect ' ! Nice pick-up !
    Robbieimage
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    I have always liked this Ford too....

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Check out the color on this one....

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Getting this thread back on the front burner!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Some variants

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Thanks, Al.....you are the master of variations!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Hey Mariner! I see you just picked up a PSA 9 Jerry Lumpe. I would love it if you shared. image
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    Definitely, I will put up a scan of the Lumpe just as soon as I get it in the mail. It is a gorgeous card and the price on it was fair.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Glad to see this thread back .................it's been a while ! Took me a while to figure out what the variation was on the Sadowski
    card ! Are both of these cards recognized by Psa as true variations ..................or are they deemed printing flaws ??? None the less , they are neat variations !
    Robbieimage
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Took me a while to figure out what the variation was on the Sadowski
    card ! >>

Glad I wasn't the only one image
  • Options
    No, PSA does not recognize them and I think of them as printing flaws....but so is the 52 Campos black star, the 57 Bakep and the 58 Herrer,...and the recently PSA recognized 61 Ron Fairly with a green smudge in the bottom of the baseball on the back. Border breaks or irregularities exist in all Topps sets. Missing borders like the Sadowski are less common but not rare. Here is another missing border on a card more famous for a printing error on the back

Al
  • Options
    Here is the Lumpe PSA 9.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Great card Don

Al
  • Options
    Wow! You weren't kidding Don. Beautiful card!!
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure most of you guys have read the nice peice that Pete Putman wrote about the set

• Options
    A very good article by Pete. Another interesting thing about 1963 is that for a brief period the Topps set had some market competition. Fleer put out it's 66 card set that year and apparently had plans for additional cards , but poor sales seems to have ended the effort. Kids were used to and apparently wanted their cards with bubblegum, not stale cookies. Fleer could get additional player contracts, but any player who had previously signed with Topps had agreed that only Topps could sell their image packaged with gum or candy

Al
  • Options
    mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    I apologize for breaking the rules but I'm breaking my '63 registry set over on the B/S/T board if anyone needs anything. Here's a little eye candy to make up for it.

MN Collection

• Options
    First of all, thank you to the individual who put his set (8.34) up for auction on Mile High. Obviously with all the 8.5 it is evident that you put a lot of effort into maximizing the presentation of the cards. Second, YAH BABY I WON THAT SET! I am now officially into the world of 60s collecting image I am very excited about this win and that might be my favorite set in the 60s (based on the beauty of the design). I'm glad to enter the 63 club,
    Henry
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    WOW!! Congratulations! That's about $70 per card. Not bad. I have been putting this together for years and you just come in and BOOM!!! Awesome! Please scan a few of the stars and low pop cards for ours and your enjoyment.
  • Options
    bbuckner22bbuckner22 Posts: 1,028
    Sorry, I cannot share in Henry's excitement....since I was the under bidder on the set. That is one great looking well centered set, I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    Congrats on getting that set....awesome! You did good.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Let's bring out the beauties of '63!

• Options
    Those two Giants cards are sweet!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

<< <i>Those two Giants cards are sweet! >>

Thanks Don! I drool over your set at least once a week.image
  • Options
    Looks like over a year since anyone added anything to this thread...almost as hard to find high-end PSA cards for this set too...I need 57 cards to finish the set...I recently bought some 8's as the low pop 9 PSA's are not available...and those that are available are so over priced it's stupid...I recently purchased a PSA 10 for less then the PSA 9's that are on eBay currently are selling (asking) for...

Here is link to my set and you can see what is missing...any help would be appreciated...thank you...

Henri's 1963 Topps Set

I can be contacted via my email address at henri@darickpublishing.com
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options
    Henri....good luck on finding what you need. Thank you for updating this thread.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    I found the old thread!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

Here are some sweet '63's!

• Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

@mariner said:

About the presentation sets....

First of all, the cards came in 5 special boxes. Here is a scan of the back of two of the boxes so you can see what they looked like.

The raw cards were just put into the boxes. Due to that, some cards had dinged corners. Still, there were cards in the boxes that looked like they had never been touched. The PSA 10's above are good examples of that.

The card stock is the same but the printing process was done so that the presentation cards tend to have bolder and brighter colors. Some of the cards are so colorful, you need sunglasses on to look at them. They are gorgeous.

The cutting process for presentation cards was different. Paul Stark told me one time that they used a guillotine cutting process. Due to that, pres cards tend to be different sizes. When I first won the set, I was amazed at that. A brick of them together was not smooth....it was clear that they all varied in size to a small degree. Also, due to this, some of the cards are a little too small, so PSA will not grade due to them not meeting minimum size requirements.

Another amazing fact is that PSA can tell between a presentation card and a trimmed card. Some may ask how can smaller cards not be noted as trimmed by PSA, but the truth is that I have sent in several hundred for grading and not a single time has PSA noted one as trimmed. Of course, they are not, but many of them are a little smaller. All I can say is kudos to PSA for knowing theses cards are not trimmed even though many are slightly smaller.

Also, the set had its share of off centers and a few mis-cuts. The first series has some snow too. It also has its share of PSA 9's, but so far, I have been extremely pleased to pick up three 10's as well. I have not graded all the grade-able cards yet. Most of the stars that I have graded have come back PSA 8. The Maris was 9PD and I got 9's on Stargell, Snider and Marichal.

As I understand it, Topps produced these sets to present to executives and others as a special gift. I have no idea how many presentation sets exist in total, but rarely does one come along.

I've long been intrigued by this post regarding 1963 presentation sets, and in particular, how the information here might shed light on the origin of certain, distinct 1975 Topps Mini's. Much of what you describe here on the quality and cut of the 1963 presentation cards matches up well with what some have observed with certain 1975 Mini's that I suspect were not sold in a retail manner (i.e., not sold in wax or cello packs): exceptional print quality, color, and gloss; cards cut using a "different cutting process;" and, most intriguing to me, the ability of PSA to recognize these cards as coming from a presentation set as opposed to being trimmed.

In the 1975 Mini thread, we've periodically discussed 1975 Mini's that have these exact same attributes, except that there has been no evidence of the existence of 1975 Mini's being produced and packaged as a "presentation set." Some have speculated that these certain Mini's came from "cut card cases," perhaps in 1976, a year after production. Others have speculated that they were never meant for distribution and "went out the back door" of the Topps factory, or were picked up by dumpster divers at the factory. However, I'm skeptical that these cards were just produced willy nilly to be later dumped given the exceptional print quality, color, and high gloss of these cards - there was much effort put into making these cards absolutely gorgeous. Therefore, I've wondered if these Mini's were specifically produced to be given away by Topps to certain VIP's similar to the 1963 presentation set cards.

Here is a link to a discussion of these cards in the 1975 Mini thread. You'll note that one distinguishing characteristic of these special Mini's is that one edge is slightly pressed, such that the gloss near the edge (usually the left edge) really "shines" under light and can be readily distinguished from the edge cut on "retail" Mini's.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/825902/official-1975-topps-mini-thread/p46

Do the 1963's from presentation sets have this distinct shine to an edge? Would anyone with such a card with solid provenance being willing to post a close-up of the edges of these presentation 1963's? If these 1963's have this edge, then perhaps this is how PSA is able to distinguish these presentation cards from trimmed cards similar to what they are also able to do with the 1975 Mini's. Thanks in advance for any help.

• Options

Nice Yankee cards above!

Indy78....thanks for the great post! Let me get back to this thread this weekend and I will post a scan to try to show the edges well.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

Recent pick-up on E-Bay ................my first picture post ever........and I've been here since 2002 :)
    Robby

1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options

@mariner said:
    Nice Yankee cards above!

Indy78....thanks for the great post! Let me get back to this thread this weekend and I will post a scan to try to show the edges well.

Thanks Mariner!

• Options

Indy78.....here is my Duke Snider PSA 9 that came from my presentation set. I have shown a full scan of the card and also tried to get a close-up of the right edge of the card. I hope this helps.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

Mariner: Thank you! I can't say with 100 percent certainty based on the scan because it's difficult to see the edges, but the bottom edge of the Snider appears to show the same cut as the 1975 Mini's that I mentioned above that were cut differently from those Mini's sold retail. Notice the bottom edge cut of the Snider, specifically how the red on the face of the card looks like it wraps around the bottom edge a bit, giving a beveled look to the edge where it interfaces with the card face. It's a clean cut, with no fuzz and very little white chipping. If I'm seeing that correctly in the scan, I'm betting that's how PSA can tell a '63 presentation card, just like they can tell the non-retail Mini has being legit. I've submitted around 20 or so of the non-retail Mini's, and never had one rejected has trimmed even though they are ever so slightly smaller (about 0.5 mm) then the standard.

Incidentally, looking at the other scans of '63's on this page, I'm wondering if that Ralph Houk is also a presentation card as it appears that it might have the same bottom edge cut? The Bouton, on the contrary, has a "whiter" edge, so it does not look like a presentation card to me.

Anyway, I don't know if I'm any closer to figuring out where the non-retail Mini's came from or why they were produced, but it's good to know that there are other legit cards out there that are cut in the same manner.

• Options
    edited January 3, 2017 8:32PM

Indy78....you are welcome.

I don't know about the Houk 8 above, but this Houk is also from my presentation set.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

The print quality on that Houk is incredible. The colors are so bright and rich.

• Options

That PSA 8 Houk has a glob above his name and the 9 does not. Is this a print variation that is not recognized or even known? I have looked at a few and it seems the "glob" is rarer. I will ask PSA to add this in to the master set and mess with everybody's collection.

• Options

LOL....kind of like a bird flew over the 8. This is Al Richter territory for obscure variations. :wink:

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

Keepin' it current......

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

Curt still does not get any respect as he has the same weight as players like Purnal Goldy and Paul Toth. This is a recent pick up. I should clean my scanner as the card is super clean.

• Options

I am a big fan of Curt Flood. I actually met him at a dinner in Oakland many years ago and my wife and I were invited by him to have a drink with him. He was great to visit with and he had an historic effect on baseball.

Don

ebay id truecollector14