Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1963 Topps baseball - official PSA thread

Comments

• Options
    I can't say for sure, but from your scan, the right side looks wavy, like the Edwards could be trimmed. Might just be the scan. Hard to say for certain. But if that is the case, I could see how PSA graded it as such.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Why would anybody trim a presentation set card common? Plus it had already been professionally graded an 8! I believe this is PSA being too anal and trying to make harder grades on cards. What do you think?
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Nice cards.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Love that Bob Friend card!
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    Gorgeous cards....keep the scans coming!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    keepin' it current....
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Yes, I know these are floating heads, but they're really good floating heads!

• Options
    Yes, they are!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    As I am compiling a complete basic set of this season, I will have to pick up a "scrubini" here and there. Below are four of such that I have never heard of. Does anybody have any stories or tales of these guys? They might be fun to hear.

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Bill Pleis was the winning pitcher for the first Twins win at the Met. Tim Harkness was the first Mets player to get a hit at Shea. Harry Bright was the strikeout victim that allowed Sandy Koufax to set the new World Series strikeout record in 1963. Johnny Goryl later was briefly manager of the Twins, but I guess there's nothing really special about 34 wins as a manager.

That's all I have.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭
    While I don't collect this set, I can appreciate the cards within it and
    I'll occasionally check in here to see everyone's latest additions.

This Mantle was recently auctioned off on eBay. I was going to point
    the card out, as I thought it had extraordinary image quality for a '63
    Mantle, but I wanted to wait until after the auction. I might've bid on
    this one, too, if it had better centering. Anyways, check out this beauty...

And here's my lone '63 for now, which was probably posted here years
    ago in its original PSA 6 holder (it was sent in for review and received
    the bump to NM, deservedly so, imo)...

• Options
    Nice cards eveyone...thanks for showing them off!!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Great stuff Powdered!! Each player had a little something. Thanks.
  • Options
    I add a card a day to my 1963 Topps Set Registry so I always have "updated" next to my name! This was added today. I know Debusschere was ranked one of top 50 Basketball players in history but I have never heard of any of the other three...any stories?

• Options
    Nice card and great centering!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    ...and do you know Harry Fanok's nick name Don ?
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    No, I don't.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    "The Flame Thrower" from Jersey

Al
  • Options
    Nelson Mathews played a couple seasons, one year as a regular for the Kansas City Athletics (in that full season, he struck out 143 times leading the A.L.). His son, T.J. Mathews was a relief pitcher in the 1990s and was involved in the trade that brought Mark McGwire from the Athletics to the Cardinals.

Thanks

Randy
    Always buying George Brett Gem Mint Cards!
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>I add a card a day to my 1963 Topps Set Registry so I always have "updated" next to my name! This was added today. I know Debusschere was ranked one of top 50 Basketball players in history but I have never heard of any of the other three...any stories?

>>

Mathews appeared in about 300 games, had one season where he played more than 70 games, and managed to strike out 143!!! times that year.

Fanok pitched in a whopping 16 games, logging 33 innnings, and finished with an ERA north of 5.

Cullen appeard in 19 games, logged 73 innings, and finished with an ERA of around 3. I'm guessing he hurt his arm. BTW, he didn't see one second of MLB playing time in 1963, and didn't appear in the bigs again until 1965.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    Great knowledge pebbly and king!! Thanks to Rick Probstein's furiously fast shipping (purchased on Jan. 5th!) here is a scan of a card that was very tough(for me) to acquire. Thanks Rick! No poker chip tho, image so I has a sad.
  • Options
    Gentile has always been one of my favorite cards in the '63 set. The 1961 Gentile is pretty special too.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Okay, two more players that I have not heard of. Any info,stories or facts? So far this has been cool with good knowledge and facts( Tim Harkness and Bill Pleis!! Go powdered!) I am thankful Ken got a 7.
  • Options
    Ken MacKenzie was born in Canada and attended Yale University. He pitched in the major from 1960-65. He was the head coach of the Yale University baseball team from 1969 to 1978.

Paul Brown pitched a couple years in the majors in the 1960s. His brother, Jackie Brown, pitched a half dozen years in the majors in the 1970s. His son, Daren Brown, was a highly regarded prospect in the late 1980s and early 1990s, but did not make it to the majors. He did become a minor league manager and, after the Mariners fired Don Wakamats in 2010, they hired Daren Brown as the interim manager. He managed 50 or so games for the Mariners in 2010, but they replaced him with Eric Wedge before the 2011 season.

Thanks

Randy
  • Options
    Great stuff pebbly! Here is some recent nm,nm-mt poppage. Uecker only 10 higher!
  • Options
    Love the look of your cards!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    What a bidding war! My raw card was so off center but I sent it anyway because I could not for the life of me find a Clete better. But then this beauty show it's face!
  • Options
    That Boyer has great centering! congrats
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Thank you Mariner. It cost me a pretty penny(for a Boyer) but it was worth it. Darn snipe almost took it away from me! If you are the Don Johnson of the Don Johnson Collection then I am creeping up to you! But that set is far superior to mine, it's a beaut!! I have 50 more coming in the Jan. sub (January 31st!) then I will be only a few cards short! Looks like 25th on active with about a 7.14 weight(Ruth!) when I'm done.
  • Options
    Running outta cards to scan for this set but these two showed up, one a raw sub (Barry) and the other a nice pick up. The trouble is I occasionally get some guys I've never heard of. Barry I have NEVER heard of and Sammy has the longest neck this side of Ed Brinkman! Any stories? Thanks to previous contributors, as they have been fun and informative.

• Options
    Yep...that's me. image
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    any more additions?
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    "Yep....that's me"

Don...you're Sammy Taylor ?

Al
  • Options
    ....long neck and all...lol
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    My last pick ups... I think the Houk is undergraded as I might re-sub. I think the Alou is one of the finest subjects in the set, so joyous as a young player is learning baseball with the likes of Mays , McCovey, Marichal and Perry et al. Maybe the best picture in the set for me. Oddly enough, another Giant, Orlando Cepeda is also a great card to me with his bat swing. The blue color on the bottom only enhances these cards IMO.
  • Options
    That white spot on Houk's card is my dandruff!!! Not on the card!! Bah!
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I love that card of Felipe, for all the reasons you stated. If you stop and think about it, he played with a ton of HOFers, including Mays and Aaron. Quite an education for a young player in that time.

So far, all of the cards I have in his player set are from his time with the Braves but that's one I may have to break down and get one day.
  • Options
    Just reached the vaunted ninety percentile of this illustrious set and this is the card that did it!!! Only 10 higher!! I think I caught a break on this one as I debated even sending it in!
  • Options
    Still a nice Dillard and congrats on the 90%!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Decent looking Dillard ................good luck on obtaining the last 10 % !!!!!! What with 2012 Topps Heritage being the 1963 design this year , do you guys think this will create a bigger spike in demand and interest in the 1963 Set Registry ?
    Robbie
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    Very good question, Robbie. It just might.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

<< <i>Decent looking Dillard ................good luck on obtaining the last 10 % !!!!!! What with 2012 Topps Heritage being the 1963 design this year , do you guys think this will create a bigger spike in demand and interest in the 1963 Set Registry ?

Robbie >>

Thanks Robbie, That is a good question but for the first time in a long time I'm going to buy some new stuff( 2012 Topps Heritage!).

I got outbid on this guy so I will have to send this one in. Looks like a PSA 8 oc to me but oh well a filler for now. image
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

That's a nice looking William's ..........but you are probably right about the centering ! Request a no qualifier on that card and I think you could get a straight 7.......................................Robbie
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    I will do what you suggested robby thank you. Here are some updates... very tough cards!! PSA 6's of these cards are for sale...
    Always a fan of these players...Radatz was a great closer for awhile and McAuliffe still holds the record (I believe) for least amount of double plays grounded into with a min. of 500 ab's(0)! Radatz fanned 181 batters in 157 innings in 1964, setting a record that still stands for most strikeouts by a relief pitcher in a single season.
  • Options
    Great cards of two excellent players. Radatz was, or a couple years, one of the most dominating relievers ever. McAuliffe was one of the better second basemen in the AL in the 1960s, if not the best. In 1968 he did go 658 plate appearances without grounding into a double play. (In 1997, Craig Biggio had 744 plate appearances without grounding into a double play).

Thanks

Randy
  • Options
    great cards!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    I will try to scan a few more of my cards to add soon...thanks everyone!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    image I can't wait, I love your set!
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Never tire from looking at some of these
  • Options
    Hey all,

I'm currently 13 cards away from completing a 1963 Topps Master set in PSA 7. It's taken about three years to get to this point, between getting cards graded myself and picking up singles and lots off eBay. Being as close as I am, I'm trying to reach out to as many people/places as possible to see if anyone can help me get this baby finished off!

Here's what I have left:

1 NL BATTING LEADERS
    3 NL HOME RUN LEADERS
    295 ED ROEBUCK
    300 WILLIE MAYS
    335 LEON WAGNER
    340 YOGI BERRA
    341 JACK BALDSCHUN WHITE SLASH IN INSET PHOTO
    341 JACK BALDSCHUN SLASH REPAIR W/RED/MOTTLING
    390 HANK AARON
    473 METS TEAM
    496 1963 ROOKIE STARS
    537 PETE ROSE RC
    540 BOB CLEMENTE

If anyone has any of these for sale, please get in touch!

I'm also working on 1960, 1961, 1962 & 1964 Topps Master sets in PSA 7, so if you have cards from those years available, let me know as well.

Appreciate any help anyone can provide, it's been a fun set to collect, can't wait to move onto the next one!

Thanks,

Zach