Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1963 Topps baseball - official PSA thread

marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
This beautiful set deserves its own thread. This is a classic set that contains some of the very best multi-player cards. Bombers Best is one of my favorities. The colors in this set are magnificent. Of course, the bottom borders make it more difficult to obtain high grade cards.

I have seen quite a bit of interest in the '63 Topps baseball set lately, so it is appropriate to start a new thread on it. Here are a few gems to get things going. And, I mean that literally!!

By the way, all three cards came from my 1963 Topps Presentation Set.
Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
set registry id Don Johnson Collection
ebay id truecollector14

Comments

• ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Wow, great lookin' 10s! Yowzah!

I'll drop a couple of scans here of my Koufax & Drysdale cards image

imageimage
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    Those are some really nice 63's. I have been looking for a nice 63 Aaron in psa8 with decent centering for sometime now. It seems that o/c 63's look worse than they really are, or maybe it is just me. Either way if anyone has a nicely centered copy LMK.
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Arny, the '63 Dodgers are so classic! The Koufax pose is one of the best cards in the set, IMHO. The other one is the Mays card. I love that card!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    The Mays is lovely.

Does it seem to anybody else that there are a lot of pics of pitchers rubbing up the ball in this set? The Estrada card and the Drysdale both have that, and so do several other ones, including the Spahn. It's cool, I just wonder if a particular photographer took all of those and made the same suggestion to each guy for his pose.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the afforementioned Mays, and my favorite pose of the set - Bob Gibson - he has so many beautiful cards, but this is one of my favorites.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    This is my favorite set and the only one that I have worked to complete in PSA holders. The group of collectors is very friendly as well.

Here are some of my favorites.

imageimage
    imageimage

• paleocardspaleocards Posts: 922 ✭✭✭✭
    Another great thread, Mariner! Here are my '63 HOFers I've slabbed:

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

I am working on a mixed set - about half PSA graded (if I think they have a shot at 8's) - and half raw (NM or very well centered ex/mt) - I am down to about 80 left, and have an excel spreadsheet. If anyone has a stack of raw (or graded/doubles) and wants to help, pm me.

I can buy or trade (I've got about 200 NM doubles, and a dozen or so PSA doubles, plus many ex/mt's). Thanks!

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Even though I typically do not like bold, bright color (esp. yellow), I think this set looks great aesthetically. I think there are a few reasons why:

1. The photography is the best up to the time and still one of the best of all vintage sets.
    2. Unlike 1958 and 1959 sets, there is full use of the photography (instead of a cutout against a bold, bright background which is limited to a small circular inset).
    3. The colors are limited to the borders which does not distract from the photo.
    4. Most of the colors they use on the border are wonderful shades. I particularly like the green, blue and red they chose - very pleasing shades of those colors.
    5. Unlike the 1960 set, the printing with the color borders are very clean, clear and crisp - you can't go wrong with white and black against a color background (unlike a lot of other years).
    6. The border around the photo is white which enhances the photo (unlike the 1962 set).
    7. The back is one of the most readable backs of the vintage sets - clear black printing on an appealing yellow/orange shade. This is much better than the graybacks of the 50s and early 60s or the many of the darker (like 1967) or distracting (1964, 1968-69) shades of the 60s. 8. Even thought the floating heads leader and rookie cards make more use of a colored background, they do work for the most part since they make liberal use of a soft light blue, a very pleasing color to the eye esp. when enhanced by red or blue.
    9. I like the team cards especially since two-color combinations are well-chosen. Just take a look at the Reds Team Card, a very nice combination of scarlet red and soft light blue with a yellow inset to balance them - plus the Reds uniforms provides a nice balance with the red border. Someone please post that card and you can see what I mean.
    Mike, good luck on finding the cards you need.

Steve, excellent observations about the '63 set.....thanks!

Thanks, all, for your posts.

Posting scans of a Dodger and three Yankees.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
    Correction

Posting scans of a Met and three Yankees. image
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • paleocardspaleocards Posts: 922 ✭✭✭✭
    Don,

The 9s and 10s you've shared with us are stunningly, beautiful cards. If you don't mind me asking, where/how did you acquire them? Any raw that you submitted yourself or were they all purchased slabbed?

Thanks,
    paleo
  • Great cards Don! Is the Houk available? I'd be interested.....

Dan
    "If the Army and the Navy ever look on Heaven's scene, they will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines!" - Marine Corps Hymn
    Dan, the Houk is part of my set so it is not available. I wish I could help you out, but sorry. Good luck in finding one.....I hope that you do.

Paleo....

I have submitted most of my '63's raw to be graded. They are from my 1963 Topps presentation set that I won in an auction in 1998.

About the presentation sets....

First of all, the cards came in 5 special boxes. Here is a scan of the back of two of the boxes so you can see what they looked like.

The raw cards were just put into the boxes. Due to that, some cards had dinged corners. Still, there were cards in the boxes that looked like they had never been touched. The PSA 10's above are good examples of that.

The card stock is the same but the printing process was done so that the presentation cards tend to have bolder and brighter colors. Some of the cards are so colorful, you need sunglasses on to look at them. They are gorgeous.

The cutting process for presentation cards was different. Paul Stark told me one time that they used a guillotine cutting process. Due to that, pres cards tend to be different sizes. When I first won the set, I was amazed at that. A brick of them together was not smooth....it was clear that they all varied in size to a small degree. Also, due to this, some of the cards are a little too small, so PSA will not grade due to them not meeting minimum size requirements.

Another amazing fact is that PSA can tell between a presentation card and a trimmed card. Some may ask how can smaller cards not be noted as trimmed by PSA, but the truth is that I have sent in several hundred for grading and not a single time has PSA noted one as trimmed. Of course, they are not, but many of them are a little smaller. All I can say is kudos to PSA for knowing theses cards are not trimmed even though many are slightly smaller.

Also, the set had its share of off centers and a few mis-cuts. The first series has some snow too. It also has its share of PSA 9's, but so far, I have been extremely pleased to pick up three 10's as well. I have not graded all the grade-able cards yet. Most of the stars that I have graded have come back PSA 8. The Maris was 9PD and I got 9's on Stargell, Snider and Marichal.

As I understand it, Topps produced these sets to present to executives and others as a special gift. I have no idea how many presentation sets exist in total, but rarely does one come along.

I won mine in an auction in 1998 from Scott Goodman who did business as Sports World in Staten Island. I have no idea if he is still in business or what. Maybe Frank or someone else knows him. He used to have his auction fliers appear in SCD. Anyway, I went for this one, won it and have never regretted it. I can not say that I have seen a '63 pres set up for auction since then. There may have been one, but I have not seen it.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Great thread Don and thanks for the info on the presentation sets - that is very interesting stuff! I also love the 1963s with the bold and bright colors. I think that PSA is a little easier (as far as grades go) on 63s compared to the 62s. I really like the multi-player star cards of the 63 set. The League Leader and Rookie cards with just the head shots aren't my favorite, but they are different for sure! I don't have near the blazers that Don has, but I do have a few decent examples in my collection. Here are a few...

Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Really great thread and I too love the 63's. If any of you are interested below is a link to John Ambeck's article from the SMR on the 1963 set. If you have not read it, is really great. John is, IMHO, the definitive 1963 guy who is always willing to provide much help and research. For some time I had a set just sitting until I read his article and started on my upgrading quest.

Dave C.

John Ambeck's 1963 Topps BB Article
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    As I've often wondered, is there a more recognizable rookie card than the 1963 Pete Rose rookie??

For a while a tried to put together a "set" of the combo cards in this set in well-centered PSA 8. I have all the expensive ones (i.e. Buc Blasters, Bombers, Big Three, etc) but the "commons" are a bear. I might try to get back into it. Does anyone here have any extras for sale?
    Kurt, you have some fantastic cards there. Thanks for the scans.

Dave, thanks for the link to the John Ambeck article.

RedHeart, I don't have any extras at the moment, but ebay is a good place to pick up some, many times at very reasonable prices. You are right, the Rose rookie is definitely one of the most recognizable rookie cards.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
    Some new scans....I can't get enough of beautiful vintage gems.....

Don

ebay id truecollector14
    Refreshing the thread.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    So what are the tough low pop cards in the '63 set? The 1959 set has it Rice, Amaro, Hunter cards.
    Jayhawke.....

IMHO, the following.....for HOF'ers, the Yogi Berra has to be the toughest....

Commons....Pedro Ramos, Marty Keough, Dick Schofield, Bob Miller, Don Rudolph, Jim Brewer, Joe Gaines, Jack Sanford and Dom Zanni.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
    I have my set (#26th Finest) up for sale here at CU

link to the thread in the Vintage forum

Most of the cards listed are for sale at 75% of SMR. It pains to have to sell this set but I hope others can appreciate these cards as much as I have.

Thanks.

Steve, sorry to hear that you need to sell your set.....the very best of luck to you.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
    Agree. It's always a bummer to break up a nice set.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    OK guys. Which one do I keep and why?

• RobbyRobby Posts: 656 ✭✭✭
    Sagard ..............From a visual standpoint , they are both very nice cards , But the color on the Yogi on the left appears to be much bolder and brighter , but the centering on the right one appears to be a tad better Top to Bottom ! Tough choice , but I love cards with lots of gloss and bold colors , so my choice is the one on the left !.....Robbieimage
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    SAGARD - The card on the fight seems to have a bit nicer corners, centering & less edge wear on the bottom.
    But as stated prior by ROBBY , the one on the left has a little more color and also a whiter border.
    Both look nice, you just have to see what you personally prefer and what your tradeoff will be.
    Agree. I'd take the one on the left Soren.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    The one on the right without a doubt. To me, centering trumps everything.
  • rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭
    The one on the right...centering is better which is more important for eye appeal (to me)...

-Mike
    Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry
    Thanks for the input guys. The mixed results I've heard match my thoughts to a tee. I'm going to have to hold them for a bit before I decide which to keep. In my opinion the card on the right is subtly better, despite the card on the left having slightly better clarity. Better centering, better corners, not a spot of background snow vs. two faint traces. I'm having trouble with the possible 5x-6x price difference.
  • "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    (If you want peace, prepare for War).........Semper Fi
  • "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    (If you want peace, prepare for War).........Semper Fi
    Both cards are nice....as Jay said, it will be personal preference.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
    The thread on presentation sets reminded me to refresh this thread, so I thought that I would post a few more scans of presentation cards from my set......

Don

ebay id truecollector14
    And a few more...

Don

ebay id truecollector14
    Don:

Are all from the Pres. set? I see some close cert. #'s (1144xxxx). Nice clean cards.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    Mike, yes they are. I have just graded small batches of them over time. I have more scans to post with many more PSA 9's.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Some really extraordinary cards there, Don image
  • Don: Those are absolutely amazing looking 63s- they look unimprovable to me and you may consider cracking some of these and resubmitting as they look 10 worthy. Kurt
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
    Don,
    Looks like you totally hit the jack pot when you purchased that presentation set a few years back.
    Those cards are just lights out gorgeous!!
    Thanks, everyone!

Kurt, I have not had the guts to crack a 9 to try to get a 10. I have cracked a few 8's to get 9's before if I really thought PSA missed it. I have actually had pretty good luck with that.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
    a couple more scans....

Don

ebay id truecollector14
    I love your scans Don. Was your presentation set free of print snow for the most part?
  • BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I have 3 nice psa 7 nq 63 topps cards that are available.

221, 175 and 265 Pinson.

I would trade all three for a psa 7 54 or psa 7 51 bowman card that I need, or any vintage psa 7+ (50s) or psa 8 60s Dodgers that you do not want. Also, a psa 9 70s star would do it trade wize. Or $17 delivered if you want to buy them.

Bkritz
    Sagard.....

The first and second series had some cards with print snow. Some were moderate snow, not really bad, but some were pretty bad. Of course, some of the bad ones were tough low pop cards. I would estimate that about 40 cards in the first and second series had snow to a varying degree. The one that I cried about the most was the Maris card. It was gorgeous except for snow. It graded PSA 9PD. image
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
    Does anyone know what causes snow on cards during the printing process?
    I was just curious.

<< <i>Does anyone know what causes snow on cards during the printing process?
    I was just curious. >>

Under a 10x loupe it looks like paper loss to me (meaning the sheet or card stuck to the one above it), but I can't feel it when rubbing my finger across the top of the card so I don't really know.

• << <i>Does anyone know what causes snow on cards during the printing process?
    I was just curious. >>

Learned long ago ... It was caused by dirty/worn rollers as the card sheets went through their final printing process. My guess is that black was the final step in the 4-color (blue, red, yellow, black) printing process, which is why black areas are more often affected than colored areas.

Scott