Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1963 Topps baseball - official PSA thread

Comments

• RobbyRobby Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Sharp looking card of Cookie ! I wonder if that was his real first name :)

Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Octavio Victor was a minor part in baseball history when he was packaged with Dick Allen by the Phils and traded to to St Louis for, among others, Curt Flood, thereby beginning the road to free agency. He had one bad year in St Louis before being traded to KC where he enjoyed several All Star seasons.

He took the nickname Cookie because of his love of the 1963 Fleer set.

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al

@bishop said:
    Octavio Victor was a minor part in baseball history when he was packaged with Dick Allen by the Phils and traded to to St Louis for, among others, Curt Flood, thereby beginning the road to free agency. He had one bad year in St Louis before being traded to KC where he enjoyed several All Star seasons.

He took the nickname Cookie because of his love of the 1963 Fleer set.

The Cherry cookies were really good in my opinion ………………...but you are making that up about how he got his nickname , right ??????

1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set

It was Bob who told me how Cookie got his name, but he is not always reliable :)

Al
  • psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Octavio Victor (Rivas) Rojas was born on March 6, 1939, in Havana, Cuba, to an upper-middle-class family. His mother gave him the Spanish nickname Cuqui, meaning charming or adorable, when he was young. The name got anglicized to Cookie when he started in baseball, and stuck with him throughout his long career.

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'

There is always someone wanting to cloud an issue with the facts ;)

Thanks for the info

Al
  • marinermariner Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭✭

Actually, Cookie was one of my favorite players back in the early '60's.....I followed the Phillies then.

Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14

I loved his 1971 Topps card. My first year of collecting.

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'

I wonder if any of the 6 people in the stands can identify themselves. I wonder how many people have recognized themselves in the stands in a baseball card. I wonder if the two kids in the front row were in the 1971 Topps Winner set.

Al
  • manscomansco Posts: 229

What do people believe are the 10 most difficult high grade 1963 Topps Basic or Master Set cards to find.

• mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

@bishop said:
    I wonder if any of the 6 people in the stands can identify themselves. I wonder how many people have recognized themselves in the stands in a baseball card. I wonder if the two kids in the front row were in the 1971 Topps Winner set.

I believe the Bole sisters were blonde.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
    edited July 7, 2018 8:33AM

In a thread on 54 someone started searching out the kids in the 1971 Winners set on Facebook to see if they could find a current photo. Someone claimed to have found a couple of them, although no pictures were posted. Possibly to avoid stalking allegations. The Bole sisters were not included. I do think Topps should do a Now and Then subset on them in an upcoming Heritage issue, although the checklist may not be settled and has apparently recently increased to 18.

Sorry for the sidetrack. Back to the wonderful 1963 set. But let the record reflect that Bob started the 1971 sidetrack. :-)

Al

@bishop said:

I've often wondered the same thing ………..and it looks like there is seven people , not counting the player sitting in the bullpen …………...and the score was Yanks ??? …….5 and Royals 1 after 4 innings at Yankee Stadium ??? ……….PLAYER SLIDIND INTO SECOND BASE IS ????? Ron Wood who is currently the oldest living ball player at 100 !!!!!!!
    Any other speculations guys ??????
    Robbie

1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set

mansco.....here is my list of the top 10 most difficult cards in the 1963 Topps set....there are other cards that just fall out of the top 10 like 496 Rookies.

340 Yogi Berra......try finding a nice one and if you do, be prepared to pay a big premium for it.
    21 Marty Keough
    34 Dick Schofield
    89 Dick Stigman
    100 Joe Cunningham
    174 Larry Burright
    291 Don Rudolph
    325 Jack Sanford
    354 Dom Zanni
    501 Joe Azcue

The first series has many difficult cards and print defect 'snow' issues tend to be the culprit most of the time.

Don

ebay id truecollector14

PLAYER SLIDIND INTO SECOND BASE IS ????? Ron Wood who is currently the oldest living ball player at 100 !!!!!!!

Robbie, wouldn't that make him about 52 while playing when that photo was taken? :)

Don

ebay id truecollector14

@mariner said:

PLAYER SLIDIND INTO SECOND BASE IS ????? Ron Wood who is currently the oldest living ball player at 100 !!!!!!!

Robbie, wouldn't that make him about 52 while playing when that photo was taken? :)

You are so correct ……………….I misread that info ………..he is actually 75 now ………...he was born in 1943 and his rookie year was 1969 !
    Actually the current oldest living ballplayer is Fred Caligiuri who was a pitcher for the A's in 1941-42 who will turn 100 in October of this year !!!!!!!!

1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set

:) Robbie....thanks.....it is so good to have you participate in these threads.

Don

ebay id truecollector14

Don has a great list of hard to find cards in high grade but I will add maybe the hardest of all...JACK BALDSCHUN SLASH REPAIR W / RED / MOTTLING only 61 graded! No tens no nines and only nine 8's. It is also card # 341 making this and #340 Yogi back to back bears to get in high end. A Baldschun 8 went for over $500 a couple years back.

Also #22 Curt Simmons
    #40 Vic Power and #149 Marv Breeding (an 8 just sold for $400 on the 4th of July!)

Yes, Baldschun variation is very worthy of one of the absolute most difficult and the other cards are worthy of top 10 too.

Don

ebay id truecollector14

Here is a picture of my raw Baldschun that I've had since the day I opened the pack back in 1963 …………..if you look on the upper right hand side on the border of the card …………….I've discovered a ultra rare new variation I'm designating as " The Lightening Strike " variation :smile: Should be one of a kind and worth a fortune in gold !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Robbie> @mariner said:

Yes, Baldschun variation is very worthy of one of the absolute most difficult and the other cards are worthy of top 10 too.

1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set

Looks a little like one of Don and Bob's bug kill productions.

Al

Thanks, Robbie....have not seen that one before.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Robby said:
    Here is a picture of my raw Baldschun that I've had since the day I opened the pack back in 1963 …………..if you look on the upper right hand side on the border of the card …………….I've discovered a ultra rare new variation I'm designating as " The Lightening Strike " variation :smile: Should be one of a kind and worth a fortune in gold !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Robbie> @mariner said:

Looks like the Baldschun is an edge card. So that “lightning strike” must be part of something on the sheet border, looks like maybe just an accidental color smudge?

PaulMaul....thanks for showing the uncut sheet....in addition to Baldschun on the side, there is Brewer below and Rudolph and Zanni on the other side....all tough cards due to being on the edge of the sheet clearly.

Don

ebay id truecollector14

@PaulMaul said:

@Robby said:
    Robbie> @mariner said:

Looks like the Baldschun is an edge card. So that “lightning strike” must be part of something on the sheet border, looks like maybe just an accidental color smudge?

Thanks for the sheet cut photo Paul ……...very interesting to learn where cards were on the sheet ! The smudge, as you refer to it as , under closer magnification ……….appears as a red triangle on top of a black triangle with the yellow background !!!!! More then just a smudge of color ………………….but I have no illusions of this card being worth a fortune B)
    I just thought it was interesting after reading your post about the slash line ! I 've had this card in a album for years and never knew about the error variety until you brought it up !!!!!!
    Robbie

1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
    edited July 21, 2018 9:48AM

Robby-- I collect variants for all of my Topps sets, including 1959. Variants include variations, which for me are differences in a card that result from an intentional act of the manufacturer,and also (for me ) include recurring print defects. Sometimes recurring print defects get hobby recognition as a variation for reasons beyond me, such as the 58 Herrer, the 57 Bakep, and 61 Fairly.

I have not looked to see if the defect or print mark on the Baldshcun is a one off or recurring. Recurring defects can be fairly common on a particular card or very scarce. I think a recurring print defect has a better chance of gaining hobby recognition than a one off, which is when value attaches. For example the 61 Fairly with an errant green smudge In the baseball on the back is a scarce print defect that can be found on several other 61 cards. But for some reason PSA, and I think Beckett, decided to recognize it as a variation and the price for cards with that defect jumped up. So, maybe there is hope for your early retirement yet.

George Vrechek did an article awhile back on 13 or so cards from the 63 set that have cropping and other differences that resulted from being DPs. I tend to view DP differences as true variations because while the differences were not specifically intended, they resulted from an intentional decision in the printing process.

This is the point where Bob will say " there he goes again "

Al

I tried looking at other sheets to get an idea what it might be. Sometime there are “color guides” and other unusual marks on the edges of sheets, but I’ve never been sure what they are.

I love articles like this, and I don’t even collect this set.

• bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

@Robby said:

Harry Craft is yelling " Hey Don...……...Show me some more of your 1963 Topps Psa Baseball Cards " :smile:

Wan't Harry Craft Mantle's manager in his first minor league season??

• bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Beautiful card by the way.

Copied this from Wikipedia...……
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Association_(20th_century)
    Craft began his managing career in the farm system of the New York Yankees in 1949. That season, he was Mickey Mantle's first manager in professional baseball with Independence of the Kansas–Oklahoma–Missouri League. In 1950, Craft managed Mantle again with the Joplin Miners in the Western Association.[1] Eventually, Craft progressed to the Triple-A level with the Kansas City Blues of the American Association in 1953–1954.
    "I was lucky to have Harry as skipper my first two years", Mantle said years later. "He started me out right." [1] Craft would also manage Roger Maris at the Major League level in 1958–1959 with the Kansas City Athletics, just before the young right fielder was traded to the Yankees. Maris credited Craft with helping him with his hitting.

1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set

Interesting information here guys...thanks!!!

Don

ebay id truecollector14

Don

ebay id truecollector14

Beautiful color of the Duke <3

1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set

thanks, Robbie!

Don

ebay id truecollector14

Don

ebay id truecollector14

WOW! A Schofield with no snow! Awesome.. An even nicer one is on eBay, ending tomorrow, with the blue border all the way over to the edge and no fish eye in insert photo, currently at only $395.00!!!

Yes, the Schofield card is one of the tough ones, for sure.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

The Mantle and Rose went a little low dashed on recent sales, but some of the low pops went for huge numbers.

Yes, the set broken up by Steve Novella did very well.....especially some of the tougher commons.

Don

ebay id truecollector14

This is one from Steve's break and might be up for review! Anybody else lucky enough to win one of his auctions?

I won a couple cards …………...but nothing as nice as that Menke !!

Just a slight tilt on this one , but overall a nice card in my opinion

1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set

And I won this one also ………...

1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set

Nice looking cards Psy and Robby

Al

I won some cards in Steve's set break as well.....Menke, Golden, Johnson...all nice cards!

Don

ebay id truecollector14

Here is one of the cards that I won.....thought it looked especially nice and well centered.

Don

ebay id truecollector14

Gene was known for wearing green jeans

Al

Hmmmm....Al, I thought that he wore gene greens.

Don

ebay id truecollector14