marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭

Jim...thanks.

Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Another addition to my Colt 45's Team Set ……...I believe this is the only team issued Colt 45's Team …...no
    team card in '62 or '64 !!!!!!!!! And even after the name change …….no team card in .66 …...'67...…..'68...…...not until 1970
    was there a Astro team card !

Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Beautiful card there Robby! I must plead ignorance on this fact. I do know that Topps stopped the team card in 1969 after 13 years and started back up in 1970. I had read something about Monsanto having a patent on the name AstroTurf and Topps did not want any trouble but the Astros were around before that I think so I don't really know. Fascinating.

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options

@psychump said:
    Beautiful card there Robby! I must plead ignorance on this fact. I do know that Topps stopped the team card in 1969 after 13 years and started back up in 1970. I had read something about Monsanto having a patent on the name AstroTurf and Topps did not want any trouble but the Astros were around before that I think so I don't really know. Fascinating.

That theory about AstroTurf would make perfect sense in why there were no team cards for those years of '65 to '68 …….I think maybe we can blame the team name Colt 45's for not having a team card in 1964 !!!!!
    Robby

1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options

Did a little research and copied this …………

The 1964 season marked the last year for the Houston Colt .45s. In addition to finishing near the bottom of the National League, again, the team also experienced other heartaches. On April 23, 1964, Ken Johnson became the first player in MLB history to pitch a no-hitter for nine innings and lose the game. Ultimately, two ninth inning errors by his teammates finished off his effort against the Cincinnati Reds. Furthermore, relief pitcher Jim Umbricht, the only pitcher on the team to record a winning record during the first two seasons, died from cancer on April 8, 1964. As a tribute, the team retired Umbricht’s number 32. The final game at Colt Stadium took place on September 27, 1964.
    With the construction finished on their new stadium, the Houston team moved in for the 1965 season. Since they now possessed the first indoor stadium in the world, the Astrodome, the team chose to change their name to match. As a result, the Houston Colt .45s ceased to exist, and the Houston Astros took their place. As if symbolic of the end of the Colt .45s era, the team owners sold Colt Stadium to a minor league baseball team in Mexico for $100,000, and the new owners moved the entire structure south of the border.

1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options

very interesting info!

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

Another addition to my Colt 45's Team Set !!!!!!

Copied from Wiki ……..

In five seasons with Boston, Runnels never hit less than .314 (1959), winning two batting crowns in 1960 (.320) and 1962 (.326), and just missed the 1958 American League Batting Crown by six points to his teammate Ted Williams on the final day of the 1958 season (.328 to .322). On August 30, 1960, in a double-header against the Tigers, Runnels hit 6-for-7 in the first game (including a game-winning RBI–double in the 15th inning) and 3-for-4 in the second, tying a Major League record for hits in a double-header (9). In 1962, Runnels played in his third All-Star Game for the American League and hit a home run off the Philadelphia Phillies' Art Mahaffey.[1] He went on to win the American League batting title that year. But after the season, Runnels was traded to the Houston Colt .45s (forerunners of the Astros) in exchange for outfielder Román Mejías.[2] Runnels was released by Houston early in the 1964 season.

1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options

congratulations Robby!

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

Another sweet card! He looks like a president...

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2019 1:25PM

I do not think Houston had problems with Monsanto since they were a customer and good advertisement for their product. But maybe Topps was asked about revenues for use of that name. I do think the Colt 45 name became problematic when the gun company began making noises about getting some revenue for use of that name

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

@Robby said:
    Another addition to my Colt 45's Team Set ……...I believe this is the only team issued Colt 45's Team …...no
    team card in '62 or '64 !!!!!!!!! And even after the name change …….no team card in .66 …...'67...…..'68...…...not until 1970
    was there a Astro team card !

Gorgeous card!!! The green and yellow sure pop out to the viewer.

• Options

My first major league game to attend was old Colt Stadium to watch the Colt .45's when I was a kid in central Texas....

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2019 9:38AM

Did not realize the Colts played in the pre war era Don

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

Pre-Vietnam War era....LOL

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

Did anybody pick up some 1963's from the complete set break of the #11 set on the registry? Let's see what we pillaged!

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

@psychump said:
    Did anybody pick up some 1963's from the complete set break of the #11 set on the registry? Let's see what we pillaged!

I was well short on the Burright. Only card I still need in 8.

• Options

That Burright is a tough one in 8. Insane prices for that card. It carries no weight in the registry as well. I have a seven and have about given up on an 8.

• Options

@psychump said:
    That Burright is a tough one in 8. Insane prices for that card. It carries no weight in the registry as well. I have a seven and have about given up on an 8.

Looked up that auction on E-Bay and saw that card sold for $541.00 .................crazy price for a common
    card ! And it wasn't even a high end Psa 8 in my opinion !

1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options

Yes, Burright is tough and there are some other super tough cards in 1963 Topps that never seem to become available....and then there are cards that are super easy to find....go figure.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

Many thanks to Don (Mariner) for offering this up. Finally arrived from PSA and it is awesome in their big new holder! There is no set for this one but I could ask for a master set with panel! Three guys with no hat, two guys with a painted cap (one a Giant!), one manager, one twenty game winner and two schlubs. Thanks again, super happy!

• Options

Jim, that looks awesome in the PSA holder.....I love it!

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

Time for a nice card!

None higher!

• Options

@psychump said:
    Time for a nice card!

None higher!

Terrific looking card ! And that 1963 panel looks great in a holder ! Thought this was interesting
    about Woody .......copied from Wiki.......

He was the first Indians' shortstop to hit at least 20 homers in a season, achieving it in each of three consecutive years (29 in 1959, 21 in 1960, 23 in 1961). He had possessed the team's career record for most home runs by a shortstop with 85 until he was surpassed by Jhonny Peralta on May 1, 2009.

1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options

Thanks, Robby! Woodson was a great Sacramento High star back in the day and In retirement, Held raced snowmobiles competitively for several years.

• Options

super nice Woody Held!

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

@mariner said:

Bow your head and raise your glass! A masterpiece of a card Don. No print defects of any kind. A white whale in my book.
    I wonder why they stutter on his position? :#

• Options

I agree Jim! Your last comment is hilarious.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

keepin' it goin'....

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    mgiobbemgiobbe Posts: 12 ✭✭

Anyone have a 1963 psa 9 norm cash available for sale?

MG
  • Options

I don't but hopefully someone here does for you. Good luck.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

Great looking Houk there Don but I believe I've seen it here before. I hope you did well on your '61 Topps eBay auction. Sweet cards there! Still waiting for you to auction off some '63's... :)

• Options

Just picked this up at an auction house for...21 bucks inclusive! That is with buyer's premium,insurance,shipping everything! Not a great 8 but better than my 7 that I've had since forever. I have seen his cards go for over $400.00.

• Options

Jim, you did great on Breeding! I have some older scans that I used to have on here from Photobucket....but I quit them a few years ago and the scans have disappeared.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

@psychump said:
    Just picked this up at an auction house for...21 bucks inclusive! That is with buyer's premium,insurance,shipping everything! Not a great 8 but better than my 7 that I've had since forever. I have seen his cards go for over $400.00.

That was a heck of a steal price wise for Marve.........nice pick-up .........copied from Wiki....
    In a four-season majors career from 1960 to 1963 , Breeding was a .250 hitter with seven home runs and 92 RBI in 415 games. After that, he played in the minor leagues for the Dodgers, Orioles, Giants, Astros, White Sox, and Twins organizations.

1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2020 10:08AM

Thanks Robby and Don! And thanks alot Photobucket! :'(

• Options

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don, Beautiful Berra. Did you send that in for bump review yet? Should be at least an 8.5.

• Options

Hi John....no I have not yet but it is on my 'to do' list.... :)

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2020 3:26PM

This card is from my childhood....I lived in central Texas and sent cards to Colt .45's players for autographs back in the day.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice card Don. That's got to be a pretty tough autograph to find since he died in 1977.

• Options

Thanks John....yes, a tough autograph for sure....I also have autographed cards from several other tough Colt .45's from back in the day....died at an early age.....1964 Topps cards of Walt Bond and Nellie Fox.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

@mariner said:
    This card is from my childhood....I lived in central Texas and sent cards to Colt .45's players for autographs back in the day.

Nice auto Don ............died at a young age of 43 in a car accident !

Copied from Wiki ........Farrell was one of the young Phillies pitchers of the late 1950s, along with Jack Meyer and Jim Owens, dubbed the "Dalton Gang" for their fun-loving late-hour escapades. "When he loses, he loses his temper," a teammate once said of Farrell, "but when he wins he's the life of the party." Bearing the brunt on one occasion was the mirror in a Milwaukee bar, broken by Farrell's fist with the explanation, "I looked in the mirror and didn't like what I saw, so I threw a punch."

1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options

Thanks Robby!

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

Can't let this thread linger too long...

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

I just got this Gibson....been looking for a nice one.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

This is a tough card in a 9.....first series.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

Immaculate green corners! ❤️