Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1963 Topps baseball - official PSA thread

Comments

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I remember your NM-MT raw cards that come back as PSA 5's and 6's. Why dont you just meet me in the parking lot at the National and tell the story to me....as you remember it. You must still have my email address, so let's set that up and stop disturbing these nice people's posts.
  • Options

<< <i>Kurtman,

That is amazing that the Berra I won is the last PSA 8 to appear on ebay. I know its a tough card but I had no idea it was that tough.

Jim >>

Jim,
    Yours was the last very nicely centered Berra on ebay. I have tracked 3 8s since that all sold in the high $500s. They did not meet my picky standards for centering so I did not bid on those. Wanna sell me yours? image
    Kurt
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    nam,
    "Item as described, and well packaged. Excellent seller, would recommend A++" That is the feedback you left after receiving the 1 card you bought. So get a life. I believe I told you that 6 years ago. There were no PSA 5's and 6's. So for once tell the truth. Your combative, you were then and you are now. Lets just agree that we dont like each other and leave it at that. I'm not meeting you in a parking lot at the National, I havent been to one in 2 yrs and wont be going this year either. So you'll have to find your entertainment with someone else.

• Options
    Kurtman and sagard thanks for the info. I'll let you know what they look likeafter this weekend.
  • Options
    Well, I started going thru the set and found some great cards and some disappointments too. Who ever said the 1st series will have snow problems was 100% correct. mid series cards had alot of OC's. The semi's and the highs were stunning. Each group had some dings but some of the cards are PSA 10 candidates. Here are some highlights. The Mantle,Clemente and Mays were real nice, BUT centering makes them 7's at best. The Rose will 8 or 9, Stargell, McCovey, Marichal, Musial, Yanks Team, Pride of
    NL, D.Snider, Tiger Twirlers, WS #1 and #7, Power Plus and about 70 minors and commons have legitimate shots at 10's. Aaron is a definate 9. Card #21 and #34 are 9's for sure. Dead on centered. The other tough commons (7 or 8 ) of them were either snow or OC. The Koufax,Yaz and a few other stars are 8's. Over all about 400 cards will grade 8 or better. Not too shabby.
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob, that is incredible. When you grade them, let us know how they come out.

What you are seeing with your set is very similar to my experience with my presentation set.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    That is awesome Bob. Mastro just got around $28K (after BP) on a PSA 8 set with five commons in 9. That seemed like a very strong result to me. Are you thinking about building a set or maximizing resell?

I finally added an upgrade from John Ambak. Thanks John.

• Options
    Im going to send in 50, a mix of cards I believe are 8's, 9's and 10 candidates. Dont want to send in too many at 1 time. I always feel short changed on the grades when I send in too many real nice cards. Its like they just wont give you too many 9's or 10's in 1 submission.

Mariner,
    Your set was in 5 small boxes correct? Then were the 5 boxes in a plain brown box? Thats how these were packed.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    This might be a good opportunity to test the waters and see if PSA will designate the cards as being from a presentation set on the label, like we discussed before when Don told us about his set.

Just an idea. I don't want to come off like I'm being cavalier with your submissions image
  • Options
    Nice NL Batting Leaders card!

Bob, yes they were in five small boxes. Go back to page 1 of this thread and you can see where I added a scan of two of the boxes. I am sure that your boxes look exactly like these two.

I like Greg's idea.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Well the first 50 are packed and ready to go. I already cant wait for them to return.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Good luck!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Got the results from the 1st 50 submissions. Had 2-10's, 22-9's 20-8's, 2-7 , 1-5 (must be a wrinkle) and 3 did not meet min req. Not to bad, will send another 50 next week.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> 2-10's, 22-9's 20-8's >>

Very nice image
  • Options
    That is an awesome submission. Have you decided if your going to build a set or sell?
  • Options
    I started picking up commons in 8, on Ebay for the ones that are OC from the set. So we'll see.
  • Options
    I'm down to about five or six upgrades and a couple of variations.

Thanks again to Ambak, he has eye for quality on this set.

• Options
    Bob, that is a great sub! Do you mind sharing your sub # and zip with us to check it out or copy the sub and post it here for us to see?
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Mariner,
    You can email me at rjc012661@aol.com and I'll let you know what I got. I'd rather not put out the list.

Bob
  • Options
    I'm still trying to slowly piece together a raw EX set. I'm just about 50% there. I've been buying some lots off eBay, using the ones I need and selling the rest. Is there a better way of going about this? Any good sites that have reasonably priced singles?

Even better, does anyone have any duplicate lower grade '63s sitting around collecting dust?

-Mike
  • Options
    Bob, email sent.

Mike, try Mickey's Sportscards....here is the link.

Mickey's Sportscards
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Thanks for the link, Don. Looks to be fairly reasonable.
  • Options
    I'm about 50% to completing this set...currently I'm looking for PSA 9 and 10's only...if anyone knows anyone that is selling this quality of cards...please pass my name on to them...thanks...

Henri Nuber
    enuber@aol.com

Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options
    Henri your set looks outstanding. Thanks for adding those scans to your registered set.
  • Options
    Eventually I will scan all my cards and have them up...I just don't have the time right now...I generally use some scans when I buy the card on eBay...but most scans are poor at best...I just noticed that some of my scans are not working either...yikes...I will have most of the 10's up though soon...thanks for the comment...
    Henri
    Collector
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options
    Henri....

You have a beautiful set in the works. Where did you pick up your 10's?
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Don...

I bought all of them from Joe Ambak...former #3 rated guy...many of my 9's came from cards I graded...the sad thing is that I have some 8's and 9's that look better than some of the 10's!!!

PS: Don...many of the 10's I have replaced 9's that I now have as dupes...I think one of the dupes I have...a think I bought two of them is Ed Mathews PSA 9's...not sure...just from memory...but I do have a few of 8's and 9's that are now dupes...either looking to trade or sell...
    Henri
    Collector
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options
    Henri, I just sent you an email.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Check these out!
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Soren and I were discussing the 63s and brought up the population boom in 9s. Anyone know why this has been happening lately? We concluded that this is the reason (along with the huge increase in 8s) for the plummeting prices and over-saturation of 7s and 8s. It's too bad since 63s were pretty good while most of the 60s cards dropped until it caught up with them. Now I perceive that they are way, way down there with the 61s on saleability (or the lack thereof).
  • Options
    That Santo is one of my favorites in the set. Thanks for sharing the scans.

On the quantity of new nines I don't have any explanation. Over 20% of the nines in the set have been graded in the last year. 17% of the eights have been graded in the last year. I can kind of understand the increase in 8s due to some favorable specials and PSA's allowance of a trace of snow in the 8s now. I also have no idea if the quantities of high grade cards from other '60s sets is happening as well, I haven't saved population reports from any other issues.

• Options
    I just sent another 100 today. Hope the results are as good.
  • Options
    I think the reason for the explosion 0f 9's and 10's is that there are still cards out there in cardboard boxes...I have over 150 of these cards that look like I just opened them yesterday and not 40 plus years ago when I did...I can still smell the gum on them?! I never touched these cards...not even looking at them...I opened them up from packs and stored them...they still have not been graded...
    Henri
    Collector
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options
    Im just amazed at how crisp and clear the pics on the Presentation cards are compared to other 63's. All cards should look like these. I also never really appreciated the 63 set. Its a really sharp set.
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>Im just amazed at how crisp and clear the pics on the Presentation cards are compared to other 63's. All cards should look like these. I also never really appreciated the 63 set. Its a really sharp set. >>

I hope the card you are getting from me will not be treated like a bas_tard stepchild among the presentation cards. image
  • Options
    Just received back 50 more from PSA. 2-10's, and 22-9's. The Mantle got a 6 which was not unexpected, Brock 7. The rest were all 8's including a Killebrew. I want to thank Henri, and Don for there purchases. Have 50 more coming any day now.
  • Options

<< <i>Just received back 50 more from PSA. 2-10's, and 22-9's. The Mantle got a 6 which was not unexpected, Brock 7. The rest were all 8's including a Killebrew. I want to thank Henri, and Don for there purchases. Have 50 more coming any day now. >>

Wow, almost 50% of the sub at 9 or 10. Incredible! Congrats.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    Bob, you are right, the presentation cards are just so stunningly beautiful. The check is in the mail today. thanks!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    I am down to 1 card for my Vada Pinson basic set. Does anyone have a PSA 8 Pinson from 1963 Topps for sale?

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    Nice sale for a near complete '63 set tonight. Seems like it sold for a few hundred over a roughly $26K SMR. Congrats to the buyer and seller.
  • Options
    Ok, all this talk of presentation sets reminds me of......................

Well over 10 years ago, I bought a 1962 Topps #470 Al Kaline All-Star. The guy told me it was from a presentation
    set. I said "yea, right". He said, no, no, seriously! I'll sell it to you for $75. I said "75?! Are you joking?"
    He said, "Tell you what, I will send you the card, if you don't like it, I send you $10. But....if you get it and you like it, you
    pay me $100 as that is how sure I am you will like it!" I thought to myself, not how could I lose? It's only
    $10, so what the heck!?! Well, when the card arrived, I could not go buy a money order for him fast enough!

Sure enough, this was the most unbelievable 1962 Topps I had ever seen, not to mention a KALINE! I sent
    it in, and it came back a 9 ! When I was going through a little money crunch, I sent a bunch of cards to
    Superior (Greg Bussineau). The card brought over $1,000 in auction. To this day, it is THEE one card I regret
    selling! I believe it is still the only 9 graded with no 10's.

So, I don't know who you are that owns that card, but, you have one of the nicest Kalines I have ever seen
    from the early 60's!

Tony
    KalineFan
  • Options
    I have 53 of these cards on eBay at the moment...all closing on Sunday the 25th...all of them are PSA 8's...I hope this link works...but this should take you to all of them..

1963 PSA 8 Cards...53 of them!
    Henri
    Collector
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options
    This one re-completes me. I'm still looking for several stars in "8" if anyone is looking to sell.

• Options
    Beautiful Spahn! image
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    I'll post some of the raw ones I just purchased. The 9 is one from the same guy I bought the other 75 off of. I knew it/they looked nice so I sent the Coates in on the 5 day special. After it came back a 9, I went back and bought 75 of his best ones. I'm sending the sub out Friday under the 45 day vintage bulk special. It'll kill me to wait that long and I haven't ruled out picking out about 5 to send into the 5 day special first. Anyway, here are some scans. The bottom right corner on the Grba is not nearly as bad as it looks.
  • Options
    More
  • Options
    Nice to see the '63 thread refreshed......those are some sweet raw cards!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Of course this thread deserves to be revived.
    3000 Hit CLub signed ball - 8/19 Living Members

Successful Deals: tennesseebanker, jvette,
  • Options
    Pete14Rose.....I agree! Let's hear some chatter and see some more pics on this great set!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    I just sent in 11 (8s) and 2 (7s) for my free registry gradings under reviews. The new registry allowed my to add team sets without re-typing certs and let me qualify for a batch of 13 free grades. I'm of course hoping to pop a 537 8.5. Lots of other fun cards as well. It was a mix of cards some with perfect centering, some with 9 corners but a little OC. Of the 13 I'm predicting one full bump on one of the 7s, and three half pointers on the 8s. Won't pretend to guess which if any will get the nod, but fingers are crossed for #1, #537, and #540.