Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1959 Topps baseball - official PSA thread

Comments

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Don

I only wish I would not have run into some bad luck in 2012-14 I would have still had my 2 graded sets of 59s.1 basic and 1 master.I retired them.I started another one Super Set but have made no headway.Social Security just don’t pay me enough.My super set is about exmt/nrmt .

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭

Tony....the key to really enjoying collecting is to collect the cards that you love....exmt/nrmt 1959 Topps are great cards and have fun with them, my friend.

Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    edited October 8, 2019 1:58PM

Hey Tony--I love Don's great set which I have had the privilege of seeing in person but the 59 set was the first Topps set I finished and I rather enjoy my cards plastic free

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

I'm only bringing this up because my eyes are slowly growing older. Question is; What is the problem with the fuzzy out of focus pictures from photobucket. I think I would send them back to photobucket. Is photobucket still charging for their servies?

• Options

@mariner said:
    Just bought this beauty.....it is gorgeous......

Of all the scans and pictures on here, this Courtney card is by far the best. The colors are very sharp, red pops out at you and the blue is nice too. Looks like at worst a 95/5 centering on the front top to bottom. WOW!!!!

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2019 6:55AM

@bammerbb said:
    I'm only bringing this up because my eyes are slowly growing older. Question is; What is the problem with the fuzzy out of focus pictures from photobucket. I think I would send them back to photobucket. Is photobucket still charging for their servies?

It’s one of the ways they are attempting to hold people’s images hostage to get them to pony up cash.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bammerbb said:

@mariner said:

Of all the scans and pictures on here, this Courtney card is by far the best. The colors are very sharp, red pops out at you and the blue is nice too. Looks like at worst a 95/5 centering on the front top to bottom. WOW!!!!

95/5 ?? Really??

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@DBesse27 said:

@bammerbb said:

@mariner said:

95/5 ?? Really??

yes really. do you have problems with that?

• Options

@bammerbb said:

@DBesse27 said:

@bammerbb said:

@mariner said:

95/5 ?? Really??

Yes. If you’re referring to the Courtney PSA 9, It’s quite close to 50/50. 95/5 would mean the tiniest sliver of white border on either top or bottom. Simply not true.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Confused me some too Bammer, but took your WOW as admiration for a great card

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

@DBesse27 said:

@bammerbb said:

@DBesse27 said:

@bammerbb said:

@mariner said:

95/5 ?? Really??

Yes. If you’re referring to the Courtney PSA 9, It’s quite close to 50/50. 95/5 would mean the tiniest sliver of white border on either top or bottom. Simply not true.

Sorry everyone, I dont know what I was thinking when I said 95/5 so I apologize for my problems statement. And yes, my WOW was in admiration for a gorgeous card.

• Options

@bammerbb said:

@DBesse27 said:

@bammerbb said:

@DBesse27 said:

@bammerbb said:

@mariner said:

95/5 ?? Really??

Sorry everyone, I dont know what I was thinking when I said 95/5 so I apologize for my problems statement. And yes, my WOW was in admiration for a gorgeous card.

No problem here. I apologize as well. When I read your 95/5 comment I took the Wow to be a sarcastic comment on the grade it received. I shouldn’t have read into it that way. Bottom line is we all agree it’s a great card!

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    edited October 22, 2019 6:41AM

@mariner said:
    Tony....the key to really enjoying collecting is to collect the cards that you love....exmt/nrmt 1959 Topps are great cards and have fun with them, my friend.

;) You bet.I have 2 retired ones I master and 1 basic.Now I have my Super with a few graded as time goes by I hopefully can add a few more.
    I took a big challenge recently in starting to grasp. 1975 Topps Mini Set, WOW what a night mare, it is by far the toughest set I have ever done.Poor Quality Control has a lot to do with it and many not available or are scarce.I just mailed in 100 of my best raw cards.As of now I am at 54% complete.

• Options

Thanks for all the comments, my friends. I just got 2 more beauties in the mail so I will share the first one now..... for all you Dodgers fans.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

@mariner said:
    Thanks for all the comments, my friends. I just got 2 more beauties in the mail so I will share the first one now..... for all you Dodgers fans.

OMG I never thought I would see this card in a 10. GREAT JOB ;)

• Options

The best grades I ever had in my 59 sets was a few 9s.

• Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

That's like a " ghostly " Campanella hovering over Campy ! Perfect Halloween
    card .....................beautiful card !
    Robbie

Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options

Thanks Tony and Robbie!

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

.....and also this star high number rookie....a damn good pitcher for the Orioles and one of four 20 game winners in one season.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

The Cuellar card was prophetic! Orioles colors before he was an Oriole.

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

@mariner said:
    .....and also this star high number rookie....a damn good pitcher for the Orioles and one of four 20 game winners in one season.

Beautiful card!

One of two cards, 1975 was the other, that spelled his last name wrong! One of the most superstitious men to ever play the game.

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options

Thanks for the comments, Dan and Jim!

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

@mariner said:

As good as it gets PSA 11????

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome Don! Were these also bumps of PSA 9s?

• Options

Thanks Tony!

John.....yes

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

A new bump last week.....

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

Keepin' it going....

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

What a gorgeous card. Really deserves the 10.

• Options

Thanks! Here is another one.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

Don, how many 10’s do you have in your set? Amazing!

Yaz Master Set

• Options

Dan...I have 79 PSA 10's in my set.....

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

Don, are Stevens and Fowler new?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

No, just posting up some that I have had for awhile.....new ones are getting impossible to find.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

Wow, I’m curious how many 10s you have as well?... Hi guys I’m new to the forum. So if I ask a bunch of dumb questions sorry. I just acquired over a bunch of 1959 Topps Baseball cards. Sounds like finishing the set is the way to go? I’m approx. 110 shy of a complete set, and of course it’s missing the big ones.

• Options

Welcome fishnworm! Glad to hear you are working on 59 Topps....it is a great vintage set and a lot of fun to collect. Ask away!

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

BTW, I have 79 PSA 10’s in my set.....you can check it out on the PSA Set Registry......Don Johnson Collection.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

Thnx Mariner. I just sent in a few cards to PSA. Banks, Clemente, Robinson, Aaron, and Sullivan no circle no period, which looked great under a magnifying glass. I’m looking forward to their return so I can get a feel for how they score. Then I’ll make a decision on bulk scoring. Not sure what else todo. I’ll post a picture when I get them back. A bit nerve racking shipping them off in snail mail. Once the set is complete does all the cards have to be scored to have it registered? I’ve heard of master sets, major sets, etc. not sure what that means?

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

Welcome Fishnworm.
    To answer some of your questions---
    It's typically referred to as "graded" rather than "scored"
    Yes, to be in the registry the cards have to be graded to be entered into your set listing.
    If you are sending cards off to be graded be prepared to be disappointed- it's very typical on your first submission.
    A basic set is just the set with one version of each card, no variations. A master set has the recognized variations- in this case no trade/no option variations, Spahn b. 1921 and b. 1931, etc.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

Thanks Griffin, very informative. Guess I’ll go for the master set, regardless of what grade I get. I hate to ask but once graded what is the best way to sell a master set? I have enough cards to start a low grade set, so I’ll keep that for myself. I have a feeling this is gonna get pricey, but the wife is breathing down my neck to recoup some of the cost involved, especially if I do a bulk grade.

• Options

@Fishnworm said:
    Thanks Griffin, very informative. Guess I’ll go for the master set, regardless of what grade I get. I hate to ask but once graded what is the best way to sell a master set? I have enough cards to start a low grade set, so I’ll keep that for myself. I have a feeling this is gonna get pricey, but the wife is breathing down my neck to recoup some of the cost involved, especially if I do a bulk grade.

Oof, wife giving you a hard time about cards? Better commiserate with @doubledragon

Yaz Master Set

• Options

Good luck with your new submission!

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Working on a phillies team set

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options

Really sweet Simmons and Post cards!

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

@mariner said:
    Keepin' it going....

Copied from Wiki .......Susce pitched for five seasons (1955–59) in the American League for the Boston Red Sox and Detroit Tigers. His rookie 1955 campaign for Boston was his finest. On July 20, he threw a complete-game, one-hit shutout against the Kansas City Athletics, with Vic Power getting the only base hit against him in the first inning. Ironically, Susce's father was on the Athletics' coaching staff at the time and that was the first major league game he had ever seen his son pitch.[1] That season, Susce appeared in 29 games, starting 15, and compiled a 9–7 record with six complete games and an earned run average of 3.06.

Overall, he won 22, lost 17, and compiled an ERA of 4.42 in 117 major league games, largely as a relief pitcher. Susce remained in the Boston area after his playing career ended, and was a longtime resident of Needham, Massachusetts, until he retired to his winter home in Florida. He died in Matlacha, Florida.

Thought it was interesting that his father was a former Major League catcher and coach with the same name !
    Robbie

1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options

Thanks for the info, Robbie!

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

@mariner said:

Beautiful card Don !
    Copied From Wiki...........

Anderson was involved in one of Major League Baseball's most unusual and weirdest plays of all time in its long history, which occurred during a game played on June 30, 1959 at Wrigley Field between the Cubs and St. Louis Cardinals.

Anderson was pitching and Stan Musial was at the plate with a count of 3–1. Anderson's next pitch was errant, evading catcher Sammy Taylor and rolling all the way to the backstop. The home plate umpire Vic Delmore called ball four, however Anderson and Taylor contended Musial had foul tipped the ball and because the ball was still in play, and due to Delmore being embroiled in an argument with the catcher and pitcher, Musial took it upon himself to try for second base. Seeing that Musial was breaking for second, Cubs third baseman Alvin Dark ran to the backstop to retrieve the ball, however that ball wound up in the hands of field announcer Pat Pieper, but Dark ended up getting it back anyway.

Absentmindedly, however, Delmore pulled out a new ball and gave it to Taylor. Anderson finally noticed that Musial was trying for second, took the new ball, and threw it to second baseman Tony Taylor at which Anderson's throw flew high over Tony Taylor's head into centerfield. Dark, at the same time that Anderson threw the new ball, threw the original ball to shortstop Ernie Banks. Musial, though, did not see Dark's throw and only noticing Anderson's ball fly over the second baseman's head then tried to go to third base, however, on his way over there, was tagged by Banks, and after a delay was ruled out. Oddly, in the final accounting, this most unusual and different play made no difference in the end result, a 4-1 victory for the visiting Cardinals.[2]

1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options

Robbie....great story!

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options