Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1959 Topps baseball - official PSA thread

Comments

• Options
    Here's another team card that like the Phillies Team, is a real challenge to get in a high grade. It is the rarest of the team cards in a PSA 8 or better.

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    You are very right on all 3 cards you mentioned.The best I could do is a 9oc on the Phillies Team Card.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

<< <i>You are very right on all 3 cards you mentioned.The best I could do is a 9oc on the Phillies Team Card. >>

The St. Louis Cards team card is another one that is difficult in a PSA 8 or better. On eBay right now there are 66 1959 PSA graded team cards for sale. The only Phillies Card is a PSA 2 Venezuela version. There are a couple of St. Louis Cards PSA 8s for over $400 each, BIN. There are 2 Redlegs cards in PSA 7, no 8s. I don't know why the Red Sox Team Card is so much more plentiful than the St. Louis one, but it is. Even the more rare last series team cards of the Pirates and Yankees are quite plentiful by comparison. My guess on the Phillies and Redlegs is that a lot of the cards got marked in a hurry by kids like me. The last series cards were of less interest since the season was practically over and then of course you had more of an opportunity for vending box preservation as well.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Tony have you seen the thread about the worst baseball cards in history on the main board. Rocky is right there image
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

<< <i>Tony have you seen the thread about the worst baseball cards in history on the main board. Rocky is right there image >>

I would add the 1959 card of Don Demeter, too. It looks like it was drawn by a six-year old. Also Don Mossi, but he couldn't help it, he was just scary.

Here's a scan of the Cards team card, one of the three tough team cards to get in a high grade.

• Options
    Is Musial in there ?

Al
  • Options
    This Odell card is right up there with Pierce AS, Del Rice and Ruben Amaro and being the toughest and most expensive to obtain in high grade. There are only 50 PSA 8, two 8.5s, and 3 PSA 9s, with zero 10s.

• Options

<< <i>Is Musial in there ? >>

I can't tell. I do know that Ted Williams is standing tall in the back row of the Boston Red Sox Team Card, the only way that Topps captured Ted that year.
  • Options

That may be him second from the left on the bottom row. Musial was not a big guy, I saw him in person in St. Louis.
  • Options

<< <i>This Odell card is right up there with Pierce AS, Del Rice and Ruben Amaro and being the toughest and most expensive to obtain in high grade. There are only 50 PSA 8, two 8.5s, and 3 PSA 9s, with zero 10s. >>

Whoops! That Odell I uploaded is not my card, I must have the scans mixed up. My card is cert. # 18907574 as can be verified in the Registry. For whoever's card that is, nothing untoward was intended. I will upload a scan of my card at a later date. -SS

• Options
    This is so much fun that I've dragged my cards out of my safe to look at and enjoy. Here's a real sleeper that's pretty rare in anything over an 8

• Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭
    Keep the scans coming! Those are beautiful cards!
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

<< <i>

That may be him second from the left on the bottom row. Musial was not a big guy, I saw him in person in St. Louis. >>

I don't think that's him. I grew up in St Louis.

Al
  • Options

<< <i>Keep the scans coming! Those are beautiful cards! >>

OKay. I don't want anyone to complain about the toot of the horn. Here's another good one, pretty scarce with only 6 nines and none higher. One of the few Rookie Stars that ever amounted to anything at all.

]image
  • Options
    Of course, here is one of the toughest to get in high grades because of centering problems. One of the most expensive commons ever.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

That may be him second from the left on the bottom row. Musial was not a big guy, I saw him in person in St. Louis. >>

I don't think that's him. I grew up in St Louis. >>

You may be right, it's really hard to tell, even if you enlarge the photo.
  • Options
    Here's another tough one in my set. There are only 60 PSA 8s of this Yankee, two PSA 9s and none higher. Yankee cards are always in demand and the low pops are especially tough.

• Options
    I didn't ever think I'd get a copy of this card, you just NEVER see them for sale. There are only 70 PSA 8s with only 3 cards higher. Very hard to come by and you will pay for this one.

• Options
    Everyone and their mother has Whitey Ford in a PSA 9, but it's still a great card of the HOF Lefty.

• Options
    Like the Richie Ashburn card, this HOF great's card is even tougher to find. You will always pay a premium for this card in a PSA 8 if you can find it at all. There are only 68 PSA 8s, which is unbelievably scarce for a major star. Compare with Roberto Clemente, both in the same 5th series, there are 441 copies of Clemente in a PSA 8.

• Options
    For a highly weighted 1959 Topps card (6.0/10.0) and a HOF'r, this card is exceedingly rare. This is one of the most unique and important cards issued in this set. We all know what happened to Campanella. There are only 95 PSA 8s and 6 PSA 9s. I was fortunate to get this card at a relatively reasonable price and you don't see this one for sale every day.

• Options
    Wow some beautiful cards.Ashburn and Mathews are tough in 8 and I can not understand how that Gibson gets a 9.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow some beautiful cards.Ashburn and Mathews are tough in 8 and I can not understand how that Gibson gets a 9. >>

Me either. Something tells me that the Seller is going to have that card for a while at that price. Here's what a PSA 9 should look like. Low Pop common.

• Options
    How often do you see this card for sale in any kind of high grade? Right, almost never.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow some beautiful cards.Ashburn and Mathews are tough in 8 and I can not understand how that Gibson gets a 9. >>

Is it an old flip? Could that be why it got an 9?
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

<< <i>

Is it an old flip? Could that be why it got an 9? >>

I don't have the card, so I can't measure, but here are the standards from PSA. I didn't realize that 65/35 was acceptable, but that card appears to be badly OC both ways. It just doesn't look like a NINE. image

MINT 9: Mint
    A PSA Mint 9 is a superb condition card that exhibits only one of the following minor flaws: a very slight wax stain on reverse, a minor printing imperfection or slightly off-white borders. Centering must be approximately 60/40 to 65/35 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Is it an old flip? Could that be why it got an 9? >>

I don't have the card, so I can't measure, but here are the standards from PSA. I didn't realize that 65/35 was acceptable, but that card appears to be badly OC both ways. It just doesn't look like a NINE. image

MINT 9: Mint
    A PSA Mint 9 is a superb condition card that exhibits only one of the following minor flaws: a very slight wax stain on reverse, a minor printing imperfection or slightly off-white borders. Centering must be approximately 60/40 to 65/35 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse. >>

Wow. I thought the centering requirements would be more strict for a 9...
    What I Collect:

• Options

<< <i>
    Wow. I thought the centering requirements would be more strict for a 9... >>

Well, PSA didn't ask my opinion, but it's logical that if a card is that far off...both ways, it shouldn't be a PSA 9. I know that they have strict guidelines and follow them (I guess), but the eyebrain just says "no".
  • Options
    OK, here is the Odell that is actually in my set, the correct scan. It is noteworthy that the value of these two cards is almost identical.

• Options
    great Job on the Odell.When i was building my set i had a hard enough time to find a 7.Awfully tough card to find!!
  • Options
    I know they may not be high grade or anything but here are some 59s ive picked up. Thanks to many people on the boards, and few other sources.

What I Collect:

• Options

<< <i>I know they may not be high grade or anything but here are some 59s ive picked up. Thanks to many people on the boards, and few other sources.

>>

Hey, I started with one ungraded, VG card of Early Wynn about 13 years ago. I saw it on eBay and fondly remembered my childhood set. The rest is history.
  • Options
    Those are great cards! It is all about collecting what you enjoy and what makes you happy.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

<< <i>Those are great cards! It is all about collecting what you enjoy and what makes you happy. >>

Yep. This set is the year my dad was born and is one of my favorite sets. Still trying to finish it. Just bought 39 more commons. Now down to around 130 to go yet. Trying to do commons in excellent condition and stars in mid grade range.
    What I Collect:

• Options
    You should not encounter any problems finishing this set unless you are working on the master set.Those are tough to find.I was lucky to find all the variations although they are lower grade compared to the rest of my set.When found some are asking outragoues prices for them.
    GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SET and have fun with it.
  • Options

<< <i>You should not encounter any problems finishing this set unless you are working on the master set.Those are tough to find.I was lucky to find all the variations although they are lower grade compared to the rest of my set.When found some are asking outragoues prices for them.
    GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SET and have fun with it. >>

I've got a complete Master Set of 1958 Topps, except for the almost impossible Herrer_ card. They are all ungraded and average NM condition. I had Mark from Sirius look at the set and he said I probably had 50-60 PSA 8s, with the rest being 7s and 6s. It's a fine set and there is not a creased card in it.

The Yellow variants are in lesser condition, but I have them all, including the 3 team card variants. The problem with this set is that they are ungraded, what could I possibly do with it? To get all of the cards graded would cost a small fortune, and you of course run the risk of PSA grading some of the key cards lower than you would like, imagine that?
  • Options

<< <i>You should not encounter any problems finishing this set unless you are working on the master set.Those are tough to find.I was lucky to find all the variations although they are lower grade compared to the rest of my set.When found some are asking outragoues prices for them.
    GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SET and have fun with it. >>

I think im just gonna finish it first and then maybe try to get the variations in really low grades. The Spahn i have is the hardest of the 3 variations to find, but thats the only one i have so far.
    What I Collect:

• Options
    Remember, the thrill of the chase....you can collect to your own timeline and what condition that you want and enjoy it along the way.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    I have not been adding too many new cards to my 1959 Topps set recently, but I did add these three cards last week.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Sweet Alou!

Also I need the following cards to complete the set. I would like them to be in the VG-EX condition range. I would like to buy in bulk. Please let me know what you have and how much. Thanks

1, 2, 7, 8, 13-15, 21, 28, 31, 39, 43, 48, 56, 60, 70, 72, 80, 84, 85, 87, 91-94, 96, 108, 109, 111, 114, 115, 120, 126, 128-132, 134-136, 138, 140, 141, 143-146, 151, 159-161, 164, 165, 168-172, 174, 175, 177, 178, 182,

185, 188, 191, 193-195, 199, 201, 203, 204, 208, 210, 212, 214-217, 221, 222, 226-28, 233, 235, 237, 239, 241-244, 246, 248-250, 253, 256-259, 265, 267, 269, 272-274, 276, 277, 280, 285, 286, 293, 299, 304, 312, 314,

319, 320, 326, 330, 333, 335, 337, 341, 343, 344, 346, 354, 356, 358, 364, 369, 372, 387, 389, 396, 401, 405, 412, 419, 428, 444, 452, 456, 457, 471, 473, 475, 485, 486, 495, 507, 509-512, 515, 521-523, 525, 526, 528,

529, 533, 534, 536-542, 544-547, 551-553, 555, 556, 560, 561, 563, 564, 566-570, 572
    What I Collect:

• Options
    Hey you guy all these cards are nice.Don U are just full of surprises"incredible"I have to get back to work on my 59 however I am waiting for Baltimore.
  • Options
    I have always liked the Torre card Don. It was shot at a great angle

Al
  • Options
    I like the Torre card too, Al....I also like the Mantilla card which looks similar with the same color, etc....
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Agreed Don on the Mantilla

Al
  • Options
    How about this bad boy? Recently acquired. :-)

• Options

<< <i>I have not been adding too many new cards to my 1959 Topps set recently, but I did add these three cards last week. >>

Great cards, Don. I'm jealous. Torre was always hard to obtain as a raw card and it is a great pose. I just loved those first series white backs because they were on the shelf for such a short time.
  • Options

<< <i>How about this bad boy? Recently acquired. :-)

image >>

OMG,OMG,OMG,OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4 figures right?
  • Options

<< <i>

image >>

OMG,OMG,OMG,OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4 figures right? >>

You would not BELIEVE how little I paid for this. I bid almost as a ruse and I never expected my meager bid to win. Three figures and less than 40% of what this has been selling for. I was in shock, but look at the thing, it's almost perfect if not perfect. YabbaDabbaDoo.
  • Options

<< <i>

>>

OMG,OMG,OMG,OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4 figures right? >>

Oh, and a PSA 9 Eddie Mathews sold for $3883.75 in the same auction. image