Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1959 Topps baseball - official PSA thread

Comments

• Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on that Phillies team, Shelby....what a great card and apparently at a great price!!
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>How about this bad boy? Recently acquired. :-)

image >>

OMG,OMG,OMG,OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4 figures right? >>

You would not BELIEVE how little I paid for this. I bid almost as a ruse and I never expected my meager bid to win. Three figures and less than 40% of what this has been selling for. I was in shock, but look at the thing, it's almost perfect if not perfect. YabbaDabbaDoo. >>

I had the same thing happen to me with a PSA8 1959 Eddie Yost a few months back paying about 20% of its value.It was a BIN.I caught it right after it was listed I think.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Here you go. No, I do not own this card. [Breathe Deeply]

• Options
    I know that everyone is probably sick of my scans, but here is another recently acquired card I got this card at the same auction that I acquired the Phillies card and at a great price

• Options

<< <i>Congrats on that Phillies team, Shelby....what a great card and apparently at a great price!! >>

Thanks. I got it for $800 + BP. The going rate according to the last VCP spreadsheet I looked at was $2200. I hope this is just an abberation and not where card prices are going. The SMR is $1100, but as we know these rare PSA 9 cards can go for a lot more. Like I mentioned in another message, the PSA 9 Mathews went for $3883 with a VCP price of $2080 and a PSA SMR of $3000. There is really no explanation for the price disparity between the Mathews and the Phillies Team as they are both equally rare, 5 nines for the Phillies and 7 for the Mathews, with NO TENS. The Phillies card is weighted higher, so go figure. I feel real good about the card, it is high end with perfect centering.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    That Gibson is a beautiful card. But as a native St Louisan who had the privilege of seeing a lot of Bob Gibson, every time I see that card I always think how far off the mark Topps was with that pink color. Somehow it does not capture the Gibson who later came to be. His 1968 season was hard to believe. And Bob used only 2 pitches in his career, a fast ball and a slider. I sometimes wonder whether if he had developed other pitches as he aged, he might have extended his career. The Cardinals were a great team in the mid to late 60s and he was one of the main reasons for that. It was sad that Musial had to retire in 1963 and missed out on the 64, 67 and 68 seasons
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

<< <i>That Gibson is a beautiful card. But as a native St Louisan who had the privilege of seeing a lot of Bob Gibson, every time I see that card I always think how far off the mark Topps was with that pink color. Somehow it does not capture the Gibson who later came to be. His 1968 season was hard to believe. And Bob used only 2 pitches in his career, a fast ball and a slider. I sometimes wonder whether if he had developed other pitches as he aged, he might have extended his career. The Cardinals were a great team in the mid to late 60s and he was one of the main reasons for that. It was sad that Musial had to retire in 1963 and missed out on the 64, 67 and 68 seasons >>

Gibson's card should have been BLACK, or maybe BLACK & BLUE. He was the most feared plunker in the game and he was mean and surly to everyone, even his battery mate. Here's a quote from Tim McCarver:

" I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter; that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit."

The only one that might have been more feared was Doc Ellis, but he was CRAZY, especially if he had been taking LSD.
  • Options
    Ryan Duren

Al
  • Options

Al
  • Options

<< <i>Ryan Duren >>

The 1959 card was his coolest looking card. He was quite a fearsome specter on the mound because of his poor eyesight and 100 mph fastball that might go anywhere.

From his Obit in the Daily News:

His trademark entrance to a game was to peer at the plate through his thick glasses and then throw the first pitch over the catcher's head.

"Hitters don't like to see that fella," then-Yankee manager Casey Stengel said of Duren, "especially family men."

"Ryne could throw the heck out of the ball," Yogi Berra said in a statement Friday. "He had several pairs of glasses but it didn't seem like he saw good in any of them."
  • Options
    Photo look familiar ?

Al
  • Options
    Yes, it does Al!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Al sweet photo!

• Options
    Thanks for posting that Musial card, Jay!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone,

I'm down to 2 cards to finish this set. Numbers 553 (Cepeda) and 572 (Pierce). Please let me know if you can help out!
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

<< <i>Hey everyone,

I'm down to 2 cards to finish this set. Numbers 553 (Cepeda) and 572 (Pierce). Please let me know if you can help out! >>

I've got Pierce graded in PSA 5 and 6 and also ungraded.
  • Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭

<< <i>Hey everyone,

I'm down to 2 cards to finish this set. Numbers 553 (Cepeda) and 572 (Pierce). Please let me know if you can help out! >>

wow awesome!!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options

<< <i>Hey everyone,

Nice work!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey everyone,

Nice work!!!! >>

Thanks! It's taken right around 2 years but I'm almost done. Almost all raw and about 6 or 7 graded. For the most part a mid grade set. My next step is to upgrade about 40 cards or so, so I can have a whole set with no creases. Not sure if I want to go after the variations or not.
    What I Collect:

• Options

<< <i>Hey everyone,

Check your private mail, I have 3 Pierces and also the Cepeda A.S.
  • Options
    orioles93, are you finished with the set?
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Mariner, Yes I have finished the set!
    What I Collect:

• Options
    A hearty congratulations!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Thank you very much!
    What I Collect:

• Options
    great!!!!it was my first set I put togeher from scratch with Jimmy Piersall the last card i needed to find to complete the set.how exciting it was.
  • Options
    I just picked up this Koufax beauty at the National in Baltimore last week....thrilled with it!

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    As you should be. That's a stellar example of one of the cooler cards in the set.
  • Options
    Boy, Don, that a really nice card

Al
  • Options
    Thanks Al....I was really happy to find it.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

<< <i>I just picked up this Koufax beauty at the National in Baltimore last week....thrilled with it!

image >>

That's just a Killer of a significant card, Don. Congrats, I'm drooling.
  • Options
    Here is my latest acquistion, from Goodwin's Auctions. I just love this card.

• Options
    Me too

Al
  • Options
    Fantastic Minoso...I love that card too...classic!

Just got this one on Friday....

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Don---is what looks like a small blue streak on the 2nd S on the card itself ?

Al
  • Options
    hi Al....yes, there is. On the card, it is barely noticeable, but the scan makes it stand out more for some reason.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Don---your very own Topps 1959 Bessent blue steak variation image. I am jealous image

Al
  • Options
    LOL.....Al, you are the variation king!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    This place has really quieted down. I've noticed for the past several months that there have been a lot of high grade PSA 1959 Topps for sale on eBay. Some of the prices have been quite disappointing if you are a holder of a set, and good news if you are a buyer. There seems to be almost an endless supply of PSA 9 cards coming from several different sellers. What's up?
  • Options
    Thats something I noticed myself.I retired my set long ago but still like to read articles on this Set.IMO greatest set ever.
  • Options

<< <i>Thats something I noticed myself.I retired my set long ago but still like to read articles on this Set.IMO greatest set ever. >>

I'm pretty much done with my set as well. I finally got rid of all my PSA 7s and I would have to spend thousands of dollars to come close to moving up in the rankings. Once you get up there not much will budge your numbers.
  • Options
    Yes, the 1959 Topps set is the best IMO too, but we are biased, aren't we? lol

There do seem to be a few more PSA 9's but the total amount of 1959's graded is pretty high too. There are 7,461 9's right now out of 218,000+ graded, about 3.4% Still very low percentage but there are just a lot of 1959's graded. It is very popular. I am still working on my set a little bit along. I just picked up a few 9's from a friend last night, so my set now has 250 PSA 9's.....sort of a milestone, if you will.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, the 1959 Topps set is the best IMO too, but we are biased, aren't we? lol

There do seem to be a few more PSA 9's but the total amount of 1959's graded is pretty high too. There are 7,461 9's right now out of 218,000+ graded, about 3.4% Still very low percentage but there are just a lot of 1959's graded. It is very popular. I am still working on my set a little bit along. I just picked up a few 9's from a friend last night, so my set now has 250 PSA 9's.....sort of a milestone, if you will. >>

Don, I'm not planning on it right now, but what do you think is the best method of liquidating a set like mine or yours? I'm just guessing that you would get more by breaking it up rather than trying to sell it as a set as we are talking about (hopefully) over 50K here. I don't remember seeing any of the auction houses putting up full, high grade sets for sale, do you? Of course, there is always eBay and the roll of the dice + fees.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    That is a very interesting question and one that does not have an easy or 'one size fits all' answer.

I do see from time to time some of the ebay sellers who accept consignments selling off a set break. They do seem to do pretty well with the sales, but if you consign, you will have to pay all the ebay fees, paypal fees and then consignment fees. If you try to sell on your own, be ready to invest quite a bit of time into it....scanning cards, listing them, mailing them, etc.

I do periodically see auction houses with quality full sets and they do pretty well with them. The thing is that you are at risk for the set going for less than what it may be worth. That is certainly a viable alternative to ebay.

Ideally, you find an individual who wants the complete set and do a private transaction and eliminate the hassle, fees, etc. Of course, that is hard to do.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Getting this one on the front page again too!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

Al
  • Options
    59s are the best>I had to sell mine 7.5 overall to cover medical bills.Stll have a very nice raw one though.
  • Options
    Thanks for digging this forum up Mariner. I enjoyed going through and catch some of the scans. It is definitely a unique design
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    I'm still working on this set, and I'm just over 75% at this point in time.

Quick question on packs - is it correct that the one cent packs have one card and the five cent packs have six cards? And is there any way to tell which series a pack comes from?

Many thanks in advance!
  • Options
    Yes, that is correct. I don't think there is a way to determine the series, but I could be wrong.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    This was my big addition to my set from the 2013 Chicago National....very pleased with it!

Don

ebay id truecollector14