marinermariner Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭
    More eye candy....

Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    those edges look sharp enough to chop basil!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Doug!!!!Thats why I call U the Guru!!!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

Hi guys...

I realize this is normally not the place for a little spam, but I have this beauty for sale in case anyone is interested. If interested, send me a PM. Thanks!

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Doug I always have a problem giving myself a close shave but I bet if I could borrow that Gil Hodges it would solve my problem.No more 5 o'clock shadow.

WOW is that card sharp.!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Is that the LA Colliseum in the background? That's an awesome card all the way around.
  • Options
    Tony, good one!

Yes, on the Hodges, that is the Coliseum in the background.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Keepin' it fresh....
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    refresh so this does not drop off of current....
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Looks like Goodwin has some in his current auction
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Al, yes he does!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice 59s! Im a little over halfway done finishing this set in midgrade. Mostly raw but ive picked up about 10 or so graded including a PSA 4 Mantle! Cant wait til im done. Mostly working on commons now.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    Very nice, orioles93....good luck!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice 59s! Im a little over halfway done finishing this set in midgrade. Mostly raw but ive picked up about 10 or so graded including a PSA 4 Mantle! Cant wait til im done. Mostly working on commons now.

image >>

That's a nice looking Mantle ! Keep the eye candy coming guys !
    Robbieimage
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    Thanks Robby! I think it looks good enough to get a 4.5 or a 5 but what do i know.
    What I Collect:

• Options
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Just bought 2 more 8s for my set Maris and Ford.Should have them in a day or 2.Will post scan
  • Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    I see some pretty heavy 59 collectors on here and thought I would see if anyone is interested in this card. I want to sell it for a purchase of another card for the set I am building. If anyone is interested just pm me.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    That is a very nice Nichols and a tough one...good luck with it!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Thanks Don

Looking to pick up a 65 Mantle for my set so I thought I would sell this one to help with it.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    pm on its way
  • Options
    Tony you have a great looking 59 set.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    Finally, I am down to only 1 PSA 7s in my set. I need Gary Blaylock in PSA 8 or better. I finally got ODELL in a PSA 8.5.

This is the link to my PSA Set, #10 current finest

• Options
    Here's another rare card in my set. There are only 5 of these with none higher.

• Options
    There are only 57 PSA 8s, 6 PSA 9s and zero 10s. of this rare common.

• Options
    This card is not terribly rare, but a nice one of Stan the Man who seldom made an appearance on Topps Baseball Cards. I had the pleasure of meeting Stan at his restaurant, "Musial & Biggies" in the early 80s, before they turned that joint into some lame Disco. I was at a business meeting and we were all sitting at a table in the bar and they had old St. Louis Cardinals films on the projector. All of a sudden someone came up to the table and said, "Do you think that guy can hit?", referring to the guy in the film. Yep, it was Stan Musial himself.

• Options
    There are only 54 PSA 8s and 6 PSA 9s, with none higher.

• Options
    OK, last one for a while at least. Here's another pretty neat, hard to get card. There are only 53 PSA 8s and 5 PSA 9s, with none higher.

• Options
    GREAT looking cards you guys.
  • Options
    great looking cards....thanks for posting them!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

<< <i>great looking cards....thanks for posting them! >>

You're welcome, guys. I'm most proud of my F.Frick PSA 9 and of course, the Billy Pierce PSA 8.5, a card that is the rarest to obtain in any grade. I still have a Pierce PSA 5 and a Pierce PSA 6 in my drawer somewhere, I'll have to look.

Here is my latest acquisition from eBay. This is not a terribly rare card, just one of those beautiful 1st Series blazers that came and went so fast back when they came out in the Spring of 1959. Once they were gone, they were gone and those first coveted "White Backs" No.s 1-110 which included Mantle, Snider, N. Fox, Spahn, Mays, Minoso & that Phillies Team card were quickly replaced by a bunch of no-names and 'Rookie Stars'. Sure, there was Musial and Sandy Koufax, but I still remember the disappointment when I tore into a pack, hoping for a Mantle or a Nellie Fox, and was greeted with a grinning Eddie Haas instead.

imageText
  • Options
    You got a nice card there with that Piggy Card.I have a tape at home of the Dodgers and Cubs i believe from 1957 when Piggy got his first hit.
  • Options
    Shelby, thanks for all of your scans and we are really glad you are joining us in this great thread on 1959's!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Eddie Haas made a career out of disappointing fans.

• Options

<< <i>Eddie Haas made a career out of disappointing fans. >>

Well, he was a spectacular Rookie Star, except for the fact that he didn't have a single at-bat in 1959. He made a huge comeback in 1960, where he went 7/37 and batted a whopping .219. That ended his career.

Yeah, Rookie Star, Eddie Haas.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    And easily the worst and most infuriating manager of my time as a Braves fan.

Didn't mean to detour the thread, I just usually can't resist the impulse to stomp on the guy.
  • Options

<< <i>And easily the worst and most infuriating manager of my time as a Braves fan.

Didn't mean to detour the thread, I just usually can't resist the impulse to stomp on the guy. >>

As far as I'm concerned, he's fair game. Baseball Reference shows him managing only one year, in 1985, is this correct? It looks like things were going great, but then the season started and Eddie led the Braves to a very inadequate 50-71 season, ending his managerial career. This is not my card, I stole the image, not that anyone is going to notice. Yep, when the stores packed up that wonderful 1st series lot of cards and moved on to the next series, I was devastated. Also, I've always wondered why the 'Series' cards as manifested by the Team Card checklists did not match up to the actual lots that were sent to the stores. The 'First Series', according to the checklist, went from #1 F. Frick - #88 Herb Score, but the first batch of 'white backs' continued on to #110. One of the mysteries of life, now lost in the mists of time.

• Options
    Here is the Mick in a PSA 9. I had a straight 8, but it was so off center that it bugged me.

• Options
    Awesome Mantle!
    What I Collect:

• Options

<< <i>Awesome Mantle! >>

Thanks. Levi at 707 made me a very fair deal and took my PSA 8 as a trade in, all at a very reasonable price. Sometimes when you deal with people 1 on 1, magic can happen.
  • Options
    Good that Levi worked with you on it....very nice Mick!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    I am cryin but you aint lyiong its a beautiful Mantle.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    You are unveiling some of the most amazing 59's I've ever seen. I'm still drooling over that Billy Pierce. Wow!
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options

<< <i>You are unveiling some of the most amazing 59's I've ever seen. I'm still drooling over that Billy Pierce. Wow! >>

Thanks. Yes,t hat Pierce is indeed sweet. There are a bunch of 6s and 7s, but then things drop off a cliff, with only 39 PSA 8s, 2 PSA 8.5s and 2 PSA 9s. No 10s.

I was fortunate to get that card at a reasonable price, considering that it is the undisputed toughest card in the set to obtain in a high grade. I may not be with the "Big Boys" with my set (No.10), but I'm up there with the Pierce card. I doubt very seriously if any more surface in high grade due to the attention that that card has gotten. I've got one beautiful ungraded Pierce card, but PSA won't grade it because it has a very slight "bow" mis-cut on one of the borders.

Here's another blazer that's not that rare, but anyway.

• Options
    This is another tough one to get in a PSA 8, much less higher.

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Don't sell yourself short. If you are #10 on the 1959 set, you ARE one of the big boys!!!
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.