Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1959 Topps baseball - official PSA thread

Comments

• Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads-up. I just registered my set. A great idea!

I have no idea who that is that registered the set, then retired it. Kind of odd.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    kidsoxkidsox Posts: 120 ✭✭
  • Options
    Lifetime stats on 59 card backs should be part of the discussion of "best set ever." I was looking at Wynn, Musial, Dickson, etc. The symmetry of rows, lines and numbers is beautiful. Wynn's stats go back to 1939. Question: Who goes back the longest?
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    My master set(Childhood Memmories) is still active and complete.I still have some work I wish to do to it I will likely be in Chicago next August for the National and pick some wanted cards there.Everything I see on Ebay appears to be quite over priced .
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My master set(Childhood Memmories) is still active and complete.I still have some work I wish to do to it I will likely be in Chicago next August for the National and pick some wanted cards there.Everything I see on Ebay appears to be quite over priced . >>

I have found many nice 59s (PSA 8s) for a reasonable price on Ebay. You have to be patient, and look everyday. I guess it depends on one's definition of a reasonable price. I use VCP as a guide.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My master set(Childhood Memmories) is still active and complete.I still have some work I wish to do to it I will likely be in Chicago next August for the National and pick some wanted cards there.Everything I see on Ebay appears to be quite over priced . >>

I have found many nice 59s (PSA 8s) for a reasonable price on Ebay. You have to be patient, and look everyday. I guess it depends on one's definition of a reasonable price. I use VCP as a guide. >>

You are probably right.When I work on my 59 set I do it in spurts usually at bonus time or make a high $ sale which is not too often.I should check it at least weekly.
    VCP is a great tool.I have used one day subscriptions twice when I do a heavy buy or sell.I should take out a yearly sub.
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have no idea who that is that registered the set, then retired it. Kind of odd. >>

I did that a couple of times myself.

I registered a 1963 Topps baseball set because I was putting it up for sale. I kind of thought that having it certified in the PSA Registry might add some sexiness to the sale and the final bids!

I'm not sure if it did or not. It sold for almost exactly what I expected it would go for (card-by-card).

Anyway, maybe that was part of his thought process on the 59 HOF set.
  • Options
    pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭

<< <i>Lifetime stats on 59 card backs should be part of the discussion of "best set ever." I was looking at Wynn, Musial, Dickson, etc. The symmetry of rows, lines and numbers is beautiful. Wynn's stats go back to 1939. Question: Who goes back the longest? >>

I vote for Mickey Vernon or Enos, who began playing for the Cards around '37.
  • Options
    If any 1959 Topps Master Set builders need card #362 Dolan Nichols "No Option Statement" in a PSA 6 EXMT please send me a PM as I am interested in selling this card(I should have it back from PSA on Monday). Thank You.
    Mystery Card Shopper
  • Options
    Enos Slaughter 1938.
  • Options
    I picked up a couple of new nice 1959's that I want to share....here they are. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my collecting friends.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Who is # 11 in the Maas card Don ? image
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    I vote for #11 being Jerry Lumpe.
    Les Aiello
    AAA
  • Options
    Les, you are correct....it is Jerry Lumpe who was traded to the A's early in the season in 1959.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Don---what is your view of the Pete Ramos " variation" that has been on ebay for some time. It isn't unique, I have one and have seen others. Also have you seen the Moe Drabowsky border misprint where the border extends into the photo. It is also recurring and was mentioned in an SCD article not long back. It also can be found on ebay from time to time with some squinting. Also, have you bothered with the Mays/Asburn "V" card ? That one is fairly easy

Al
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    The Yanks couldn't get Cliff Lee, Don...but you managed to pick up Duke Maas + McDougald.

Brian Cashman should call you!

Nick

• Options
    Thanks, Nick!

Al, I have not bothered with those variations. Have you noticed that BMW Cards has a Ramos variation in PSA 9 for a BIN of $2500?

I know that you are the Master of variations and know more about them than anyone!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    What are the different variations in this set?

Bob
    Not an alt, just a lurker

Looking for Bob Uecker cards

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Bob, the best thing to do is to go to the 1959 Topps Master Set in the registry, then scroll through someone's set to see. There are quite a few in there. The one's in the Master Set are the documented accepted variations. There are a few that Al was speaking of that are not documented as variations, probably because they are very slight.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Don---that Ramos, #78, has been there awhile. I got mine for $10 :-).

Beyond the variations listed in the SCD Standard Catalog and the Registry to which Don refers, the other unlisted recurring differences I know about involve # 317, NL Hitting Stars Mays& Ashburn ,where an inverted A or V can be found above their joined shoulders. This is easy to spot regularly on ebay. On 416 Drabowsky the top border extends into the pink in some cards but is pretty scarce. It was mentioned in a recent SCD article. They are not dramatic, but no more slight than the missing period on the back of the 3d Haywood Sullivan :-)

Although it does not involve a variation, card #379, Bob Miller, begs the question, which Miller ? There was a Bob L Miller with St Louis in 1959 and since the guy in the card is in a Cardinals cap it should be him. But the stats on the back belong to a Bob Miller with the Phils and the photo on the front appears to be a doctored version of that Bob's 1958 card

Al
  • Options
    LOL! Al, you are right.....the missing period on the Sullivan card is not much of a variation, is it?
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Since I love the 1959 Topps, it was only natural to collect cards from another set to complement my collection, 1959 Venezuela Topps, which are very rare and always found in low grade condition. A high grade Venezuela card is PSA 4 or 5. Anyway, I thought that I would post some of my 1959 Venezuela cards here on our 1959 Topps thread.

The first three cards posted here are all high grade for 1959 Venezuela Topps.

The card backs on 1959 Venies are either gray or a cream color, not the white in the first series that we see in normal 1959 Topps. Also, some of the cards have the Topps trademark on the back and some of the cards have the trademark IMPRESO EN VENEZUELA POR BENCO C. A. Check out the Spahn and Minoso backs versus the Bessent back.

Here is an example of a cream colored back. These backs are much rarer than the gray colored backs. The same cards, Hunter for example, can be found with both gray and cream colored backs.

I find these cards fascinating to collect. I only have about 50 cards and I will never complete the set (card #1 through card #198 is the complete Venie set), but it is fun to collect what I can find to complement my 1959 Topps collection.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Here is the link to my 1959 Venezuela Topps set on the PSA set registry. I am the only collector with a partial set on the registry at this time.

1959 Venezuela Topps Registry Set
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Here is an example of the Rip Coleman card with two different colored backs in 1959 Venezuela Topps.

Coleman PSA 4 front and gray back....note the IMPRESO trademark is barely partly visible as the printing process was not good and the printing is very light here.

Now, the Coleman PSA 3 card I have front and cream back.....note the bolder IMPRESO trademark on this cream colored back.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Don there is no doubt about it YOU ARE THE 1959 TOPPS GURU hands down.

Lovin your posts,

• Options
    Don----do you and Josh go to Venezuela to make purchases disguised as farmers ?

Al
  • Options
    Thanks, Tony!

Al, that is hilarious! Yep, that is what we do.....nah.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    I think the supposed Drabowsky variation is in the category of ink smears and/or bleeding, of which there are too many types to document. For example, I have a Tony Taylor in the same condition as the Moe, although not as pronounced. The Sullivan error, though small, was not caused by low-tech ink application. We don't see a partial circle around the c or the hint of a period. They're just not there. In any case, it's stuff like this that keeps things interesting.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Can anyone explain why the Phillies Team Card is so tough from 1959? (something more elegant than, "it's a short print")

Marc
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Marc, I have never heard a good explanation for the Phillies team card....one could think that in the first series, more checklists were checked but I don't know if that is true or not. I really don't know why the Phillies team card is supposedly harder to find in high grade. That has been a mystery to me.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

<< <i>Marc, I have never heard a good explanation for the Phillies team card....one could think that in the first series, more checklists were checked but I don't know if that is true or not. I really don't know why the Phillies team card is supposedly harder to find in high grade. That has been a mystery to me. >>

Thanks, Don -- appreciate the candor. It is the last Phillies team card I need for my run, and it's been very hard (and expensive) to track down in top grade. Just not sure why.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    And I personally thought that explanation was very elegant Don image

Al
  • Options
    19591959 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    Marc, 1959 was my first and only year for buying and saving baseball cards . Living in ft. worth, tx.we had no major league teams. So my favorites were the Braves and Phillies. Loved the braves logo and the Phillies were lovable losers..Even then the first series was hard to get and certain cards harder than others. I think that the first series 1-110 had many short printed cards ,since 88 cards were on a sheet.mabe some double printed and others single printed. Some of the entire first series seems to have many players more prevelent than others. The Phillies team is rare even in poor condition, as is Rice and Hoak and others. Don is more knowledgeable than me on this and I wonder what his opinon is.
  • Options

You make some good points there about the card sheet.

My experience with the likes of Rice, etc is that the main trouble with finding high grade is not the quantity of the cards, but the centering problems. Over many years, there are certain cards like Rice (even back before grading) that I would not have trouble finding raw, it was just having trouble finding one with decent centering or in some cards cases, no print marks on the cards. I do think the first series and the last series are harder series to find than the middle series.

Since we are talking variations, I just stumbled across this.....I have never seen a yellow letter Bauer....have any of you?

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    19591959 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    Don, I have never seen a Bauer like that. It could be a very interesting card and story. Usually if there is one there has to be two. In all of the Snider cards I have there is the camera fuzz under his right eye and green ink outside the right border just opposit the r . Just some tiny printing quirks. I completely agree about Rice. Always off center. I wonder who his conterpart on the sheet is who would also be oo center.??? Hunter? Yost? Life is full of mysteries...
  • Options
    Don---I have seen references to the Bauer. I think I originally saw something in Dick Gilkeson's publications on variations, the first edition of which was in 1995, I think. And I think I have seen it referenced somewhere else as well. I will check and let you know

Al
  • Options

<< <i>Marc, I have never heard a good explanation for the Phillies team card....one could think that in the first series, more checklists were checked but I don't know if that is true or not. I really don't know why the Phillies team card is supposedly harder to find in high grade. That has been a mystery to me. >>

Don being a die hard 59er the Phillies Card is a tough SOB to find in any shape.I got lucky one day and found a PSA 9OC and paid $100 for it and I am not sorry one bit.I have it pictured on the registry (Childhood Memories).I also have not seen a #2 Eddie Yost in ages either any grade.I have a 7 I picked up at the National in Cleveland a few years back.The Phiilies were horrible in 59 and down in Detroits NE side they usually would make the bycycle spoke stack if you had doubles or you used them for flipping.You Think?
  • Options
    There is a George Vrechek article on the Bauer. A "1959 Topps Bauer Yellow" Google search will turn it up.

Al
  • Options
    1959 and Tony....thanks for the comments.

Al, I will check out that article....thanks.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    I just acquired this 1959 Topps Saleman Panel with a Willie Mays on it. This is a rare item and to find one with a Mays on it is super sweet! The panels are three cards and one card has been cut off of the panel, but it is still sweet!

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Neat Don. Will you always wonder who got cut off and why image

Al
  • Options
    good question, Al....I have no idea who the third card was since I have never seen the Mays panel before. I don't know why someone would cut the third card off. I am thinking it was probably a common player.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    I think it was a Mantleimage

Seriously...I wonder how we can find out. There must be some resource we can seek out.

Al
  • Options
    I have googled about salesman panels which is how I stumbled upon this Mays panel....but I could not find any real source of information otherwise. Let's keep researching, Al.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

<< <i>I think it was a Mantleimage

Seriously...I wonder how we can find out. There must be some resource we can seek out. >>

Well, I know with the 1955 Bomwan set, the cards on the salesman sample panels were sequenced. Is there any 1959 Topps sheet images that you could compare with to see if Mays was next to De Maestri? If so, that would point out who might be the third.

M
  • Options
    Check out Peter Putnam's 2005 article about the "Salesman's Sample" - Jim Bolger is to the left of Mantle on the strip (Mantle's right).

Mantle Salesman Strip

Mariner - your strip was cut on the right of Joe De Maestri correct? So, alas no Mantle.....

Another interesting observation - the 1959 uncut sheets I have seen never have three yellow backgrounds in a row. It is another color - green, red, etc.

Les Aiello
    AAA
  • Options
    great feedback Marc and Les...thanks.

I do think that is is probable that the third card would be the same as what we would find on an uncut sheet of first series cards. That is a great clue. Mays, DeMaestri and ????.....left to right.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Hello 1959 collectors.

Id like to offer a 1959 topps starter set for sale. Cards are mostly ex-ex+ w/ quite a few higher in grade and maybe 15 cards less than that. There are 350 cards, numbering 1-499 w/ no doubles, a few team cards, a couple action cards, a bunch of minor stars and f robinson, hodges, drysdale as major stars included. Beautiful lot that I simply cannot use. I would also be interested in trades, I need the aaron, clemente, mays and berra from the '55 topps set (vg-ex), or about anything pre WWII. I am asking $400 for the cards shipped to your door.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Always looking for Cracker Jacks!
  • Options
  • Options
    Sorry about the previous blank post..........I may be oversimplifying, but would it make sense that the missing card could be Ramos #78 ? That would be an obvious 14 card jump and a diagonal selection fron a 132 card sheet? Don't know why anyone would cut off Ramos, though. Just athought.
    Steve