Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1959 Topps baseball - official PSA thread

Comments

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Thats some tough list for sure.The Stu Miller could be your toughest find.The Mantle and the Pierce are usually out there at BIG $ as you already know.Good luck.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭
    I just noticed that PSA is now grading the three #416 Haywood Sullivan variations. It is only a matter of time when they have them in the Master Set.

416 Haywood Sullivan No Circle Copyright,U.S.A 1 1
    416 Haywood Sullivan No Circle Copyright,U.S.A. 1 2 3
    416 Haywood Sullivan Circle Copyright,U.S.A. 2 2
    416 Haywood Sullivan See Varieties 1 3 8 21 2 55 6 99 3 15 213
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I've had this for a few weeks and I've been meaning to post it here. Apologies for the semi-dodgy scan from Memory Lane.

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Nice Spahn! Which version?
  • Options
    I'm assuming, by the lack of any notation on the flip, it's whatever the most common, orthodox one is.
  • Options
    Nick's new 1959 Topps registry set.....a thing of beauty and the pics and comments are fun to see. Good job, Nick!!

Nick's 1959 Topps PSA Registry Set
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Thank you kindly, Don!
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fine job Nick!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    How many CU forum members are 1959 Topps baseball collectors? I can not believe how so few members chime in to this thread. Show your cards.....tell your story!!
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Don...I'm with you...it's just that I cannot put all my set together at the same time...so I concentrate on one year at a time...unless I see something really nice...I'm a centering freak...so I don't even bother with 59's that are not perfect...regardless of grade or whether or not I need the card...it's a marathon not race I tell one of my bodies that collects...he's always in a hurry and just collects the grade...had that been the case for me...I'd have the set complete already...in fact I sold that same buddy my ungraded complete 59 set the other day when I need some "bucks" to by a couple 64 cards...really tragic as I sold them for almost half what I paid for them...a real nice PSA 7 and better set (many of which I popped out of PSA 8 holders during my days of not wanting to collect graded cards)...oh, well...I still enjoy watching you put your cards up in this show and tell thread...good luck!
    Henri
    Collector
    Topps 58,59,60,61,62,63,64 Sets
    Fleer 60, 61-62 Sets
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I don't know that I'll ever do this set complete, but I do love them centered and in high grade. If anyone can find me a Mantle PSA 8.5, I am interested.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    My 59 set is the first one I ever completed unfortunatley i badly need to upgrade 2 cards Yankee TC PSA 7 and Hanebrink PSA7or 8 WITH TRADE.
  • Options
    I am a new PSA/CU member(Dec.09). I joined to get my 1959 Topps collection graded. My collection is a mix of raw cards that I had graded by SGC(took advantage of the recent crossover special), raw cards graded by PSA and PSA purchases. This will be my first graded set after years of building high grade raw sets.I will be posting/publishing my set in the near future when I get back all my submissions. I tried to attach upload some scans of two PSA 9 cards I just received back and a PSA 8 card(Schantz), but I received a message that the file size was to large(over 50KB), so if someone can tell me how to get my scans on this thread, I will post pictures. Thank You.
    Mystery Card Shopper
  • Options
    If you're starting off with a PSA 8 Shantz, Aggie, your set must be a real blockbuster!

I can't wait to see it!

Nick
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I'm looking for a well centered PSA 8 #504 Alvarez. If you can help, let me know. Thanks.
  • Options
    Aggie, welcome to the 1959's! If you got a PSA 8 Bobby Shantz, you did very well!! That is one tough card for sure as Nick alluded to. We look forward to some scans.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Hi Nick and Don,
    I am attaching two scans(I hope it works-I'm a new user) that are new to my collection. I hope to become
    a frequent contributor to this thread.....Thanks.....
    Mystery Card Shopper
  • Options
    Mystery Card Shopper
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

aggies GROAT
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    Hello everyone,

I started this set about a year ago, got up to around ten percent, but haven't added anything for a few months. Seems like there are a couple other collectors who pursue well-centered cards and are willing to pay a premium for them - a bit more than me, apparently. So after being thouroughly trounced over the course of several auctions, I decided to put this set on hold for a while. Like Henri, I'm a stickler for centering and one day would like to achieve a set like Don's (incredibly beautiful set with lots of scans). But for now I am focused on my '57 set and perhaps when I am closer to completing it I can spend more time and money towards the '59's.

Aggie - very nice cards and good luck on your set.

Don - you've got an absolutely fantastic set. I can tell you are more concerned about overall eye appeal than technical grade. It took me a while to achieve this mindset but I am very happy that I did.

Here are some of my favorite cards:

image....image

Keith
  • Options

<< <i>I'm looking for a well centered PSA 8 #504 Alvarez. If you can help, let me know. Thanks. >>

Mark - I have this Alvarez if you are interested. PM sent.

Keith
  • Options
    Keith,
    Outstanding Gibson card!!!! Can you tell me the procedure(s) for getting your pictures into the message(post)
    as opposed to an attacment. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.
    Mystery Card Shopper
  • Options
    Wow! Keith and Aggie....you both have some spectacular cards! Welcome to the thread and we would like to see more. You both have the makings of a world class set. Congratulations.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aggie
    pm sent on photos
    hope it helps
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    Thanks very much, Don. The cards you've displayed in this thread helped to convince me to start the set.

Aggie - thank you. As far as posting scans here, with much help from other members (hoofhearted had a great tutorial thread on the sports card & memorabila forum but I can't seem to locate it), I have found this to be the easiest method:

1) Upload your scans onto a site like photobucket.com

2) Under each image on photobucket, there is a drop down menu. Left click on the "IMG code" window to highlight it, then right click and copy.

3) Simply paste the info you've copied when making a reply to a thread here, and the scan will show up once you hit the "reply to thread" button. It helps to hit 'preview' first to make sure you've done it right. It took me a couple of tries before I got the hang on it. Hope this helps.

Keith
  • Options

Keith and Hank,
    Thank You very much for your help. Now you can see a better scan of the Bauer PSA 9 card......
    Mystery Card Shopper
  • Options

I had to try this again.....
    Mystery Card Shopper
  • Options
    Holy Cow, Aggie! Those are some sweet cards! Glad I could be of service and please keep 'em coming.
    Keith
  • Options
    I know it's from when he was still trying to harness his power and thus before he started the streak of dominance that he's famous for but, still...that's my single favorite regular Koufax card.
  • Options
    Don you are definetly the best when it comes to 59s.Would like to find a Hanebrink WITH TRADE in 7 or 8 grade or a Yankee team grade 7.Does it appear that the traded version of the Hanebrink is almost as tough as the NO trade version.??
  • Options
    It appears now that there are 3 variations listed for the haywood sullivan however two descriptions appear the same so what is the difference?
  • Options
    Keith.....so glad you started the 1959's!

Aggie....glad you got the scan thing going....you have some great stuff to show us....Wow!

GDM67....I agree, I love that Koufax.

Tony (fiveniner).....the Hanebrink Trade is not easy but it is not really too difficult. One will come along that you can get for a good price. Now the Hanebrink No Trade is a different story. IMO, that card is by far the most difficult in 1959. Anything NM or better is darn near impossible. I have seen a number of these cards severly miscut or OC. Any Hanebrink No Trade, no matter the condition, is worth getting if you can.

Also, about the Haywood Sullivan three variations.....I spoke with Cosetta last week and asked her to add these variations to the '59 Master Set, so she did add them on Thursday. They are cataloged in the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards and should be in the Master Set. PSA just recently started grading the variations, so you can now request them on the submission form. Here are the three variations and I will explain the difference in them.

#1 - Sullivan Circle Copyright, U.S.A. I believe this version is the most common. This would be the normal copyright statement on the back of the card.

#2 - Sullivan No Circle Copyright, U.S.A. On this variation, the copyright symbol is missing the circle around it, but in the U.S.A. , there are periods after each letter. This variation I believe is not hard to find either.

#3 - Sullivan No Circle Copyright, U.S.A This variation is identical to #2 except there is no period after the A in U.S.A I believe this variation is much more difficult. I have the first two (see my Master Set), but I have not found this third variation yet for my set. I think it is going to be tough to find, but that will be fun looking.

On another note, I am thrilled that more of us are posting on this 1959 thread. Let's keep it going and keep it fresh. This type of dialogue and scans are the essence of enjoying our collections and sharing them with our collector friends with similar interests.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Don 59 Is a passion for me as youalready know.

I went through several Hanebrinks no trade and after sending a couple in and getting them back as miscuts I found which looked like a nice raw one and it finally came back as a 6,that was good enough for me.On the Traded version i am having the problem finding a 7 or 8 or a decent raw one that would be worth grading.My current one is a psa 8 OC.

Thanks Tony

PS picked up a PSA 7 Sullivan with circled copyright this after noon now I have 1 to go.A without dot.
  • Options
    Tony, good job on the Sullivan. Yes, I know you are very passionate about your '59 collection!

Here are a few more cards added to my set in recent weeks.

Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    WOW!!!!!!! TURLEY PSA9 WOW !!!!!
  • Options
    Don,
    Thanks for sharing your PSA 9's. I love that Turley card, and any 1959 Yankee in a Mint 9 is awesome. I checked out your set in the
    registry(thanks for all the scans) and it's truly spectacular. Like the other contributors to this thread, I have a passion for collecting
    this set and have become very familiar with the "tough" cards to obtain. I am in the process of uploading scans of the key cards to
    my set registry so they will show(I hope) when I publish the set. Thanks for the inspiration.........
    Mystery Card Shopper
  • Options
    Thanks, Tony and AGGIE.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I had to go change shirts-I drooled all over myself looking at the scans.
  • Options
    In regards to the 59 Topps Haywood Sullivan I have located one person on the registery that has this card with no dot after the A in U.S.A on the graded 9.I looked at the Pop report it has only 1 listed as a 7Q.I decided to get in touch with Levi from 707 who has just about anything and is very sharp with history of variations he says that version a variation.He helped me solve the 1962 topps stamp mystery of the Roy Sievers Athletics stamps a few years back after searching for year for it came to be that it never was printed.
    Can we have a simalar situation here as we have with the 58 herrera where this was just a printing issue and just a hanful of cards may have been missed there are only 30 in the pop report.
    If this issue really exists this could be a 3 figure card.Anyone out there actually have one?
  • Options
    Just thought I'd post a few of my 59s, with the message being: you can definitely find terrific cards that aren't 8's or 9's.

No question, I'll take an 8 or 9 any day. But without the resources to do a set of that incredible quality, I need to work hard to find the "market inefficiencies" (high-end 7's), as Billy Beane would say.

Here are a few examples.

Thanks!

Nick

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really nice 7s. I really like the Gibson. Bump worthy.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Nick, thanks for the scans. Your cards are beautiful!

Tony, I do think the Sullivan with no dot will be tough to find.
    Don

ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Don,
    Glad you posted the info on the Sullivan variations.I was going to contact you to see what you knew about the status of our current Sullivans.Will we need to send them in to get them regraded so they will have a spot in the Master Set and would this be a regrade or a reholder situation? Didn't know if you and Cosetta talked about that or not.Thought I would ask you here so the answer could be posted for everyone.
    Keep those scans coming.....your cards are great.
    Steve
  • Options

<< <i>Don,
    Glad you posted the info on the Sullivan variations.I was going to contact you to see what you knew about the status of our current Sullivans.Will we need to send them in to get them regraded so they will have a spot in the Master Set and would this be a regrade or a reholder situation? Didn't know if you and Cosetta talked about that or not.Thought I would ask you here so the answer could be posted for everyone.
    Keep those scans coming.....your cards are great.
    Steve >>

accordind to Conxetta u need to fill aot a submission sheet select reholder as the service list your card and note ADD VARIETY next to the card .The reholder fee is $5 then you have to include S/H from the chart.

Tony
  • Options
    Nice 7s Nick!!!!!
  • Options
    Nick,
    Great centering on all your 7's. As Don mentioned, the Gibson looks very nice and could be in a 7.5 or 8 holder, although there appears to be a white print line that goes from the top of the card through the letter B in Bob and all the way to the bottom of the card which may have held the grade down. After looking at the Bunning card, I realized it was one of my recent raw subs(I veriified the PSA#) that I sold. I really felt this card was a sure 8(perfect centering, NM+ to NMMT corners, etc..) or a 7.5 at a minimum, and I was stunned it came back as a 7. I already had this card in an 8 so I decided not to re-sub, but you may want to. If you can, post a larger scan and let the other members tell you what they think. I bought the card raw at a card show and couldn't get the money out of my wallet fast enough.....Good Luck with your set.......
    Mystery Card Shopper
  • Options
    Tony,
    Thanks for the info, I'll get one off to PSA today.
    Steve
  • Options
    19591959 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    Guys. this is my first time on a message board so please excuse the spelling. Back is 1992 03 while looking at the backs of my favorite set I noticed Warren Spahn first pitched in 1944, and was born in 1931. wow, 13 years old. As I looked at my other Spahns I saw 1921 and another that some that had a mark are line attempt to make the three look like a two. I called sports col. Digest and was told to write them a letter. I did that but nothing came of it. I then called beckett magazine in Dallas and spoke to Richard Klein. I sent him copies of all the cards and since I am from Dallas visited Beckett co. in Dallas. Richard was super nice and took me on a tour of beckett. It took about a year for the variations to show up in any of their price guides. The first was the small thick baseball card book. Richard at the time and my memory may be wrong, but thought that the one with the scratch was the most rare. Since that time I have come to believe that the 1931 is the hardest to find. At least it is in 7, 8, or 9. At the time that I discovered these variations all of my Spahns had already been graded by psa so no notation was on them. That is why the pop report is way off and the total of each. before 1993 or 94 all were put in the same pile. I wonder how long it took for the sullivan var. to get recognized. Whoever found that I tip my hat. That is redlly cking every thing. five niner , and Don, and all on the 59 thread, thanks for letting me ramble and thanks for the info. on 59s. I do not have a scanner but someday mabe I will get one. My set is Buford buzzard on the reg.....
  • Options
    Thanks guys!

Aggie, you are right about the Gibson. That white print line surely makes it a 7...high-end though it may be. And believe me: there are reasons that each one of these cards is a 7. The smeared ink on Campy, print spots on Berra, soft corners on Musial and Maris, etc etc etc.

I'm one of the very few who doesn't spend much time fighting PSA. Every time I've challenged them, I've been proven wrong. Their grades have held up consistently for me.

But I'll tell you: that Bunning sure has made me reconsider! That is definitely a candidate for resub, if I ever decide to do so.

Nick
  • Options

<< <i>My set is Buford buzzard on the reg..... >>

Looking at it right now. Very nice set.

To answer Nick's question from a couple of pages ago, my Spahn is the "1921" version. I put some recent purchases into boxes a couple of days ago and remembered to have a look to confirm that. Just something I wanted for my Basic Spahn set.