Home Sports Talk
Options

Most overrated player in each league.

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    And sunday nights, there is typically just the one game on,and invariably, it's the sox and yankees.are forced to watch yet another Red Sox-Yankee 'showdown' on Sunday night

Ok dopey I'll bite did you say those things or not?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Forced to watch, yes.

Sunday night baseball is a good relaxing way to cap off the weekend...and invariably, it's the sox and yankees.

I know its tough for those of you so fixated on the yankees, but those of us outside that tiny little geographical area of the world would like to see some variety. >>

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Please show me where I said it's ALWAYS the yankees and sox.

I said invariably, which is a far cry from ALWAYS. I am sorry you failed basic reading comprehension in grade school (or you have gotten to that stuff in your remedial schooling).

If I wanted to say those teams are ALWAYS on, then I would have SAID always, you buffoon.

Now, shouldn't you be in class?
  • Options
    And if you have a satellite dish, I think you can buy the games for all the teams for the entire summer? If you did that then you wouldnt be "forced" to watch those games....OR even better yet, don't watch those games!

And why do they play so many of those games? RATINGS! FANS! LOTS AND LOTS OF FANS!
  • Options
    You are the QUEEN of spin.

What about varitek?

care to spin that one.

No you did not say always but you implied that you are forced to watch yanks and sox on sundays! on sunday nites. then u say only they play on sunday nites yes i read you clearly

now spin away.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    So now the word "invariably" now means rarely.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Please show me where I said it's ALWAYS the yankees and sox.

I said invariably, which is a far cry from ALWAYS. I am sorry you failed basic reading comprehension in grade school (or you have gotten to that stuff in your remedial schooling).

If I wanted to say those teams are ALWAYS on, then I would have SAID always, you buffoon.

Now, shouldn't you be in class? >>

hey dumbass, i hate to break it to you, especially considering you broke out the "be in class" statement, but uhh...

"INVARIABLY" and "ALWAYS" are synonymous with eachother..

dumbass..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>So now the word "invariably" now means rarely. >>

·p_A·
  • Options
    This just goes to show how Axholes childish, feeble mind works. How many times does this have to be done? I guess as many times for as many personalities that he has.
  • Options
    this is too funny actually.. axtell said "I said invariably, which is a far cry from ALWAYS".. and then told someone they should "be in class"..

let me say it again in case axtell doesnt know what "synonymous" means..

the word "ALWAYS" means the SAME EXACT THING as the word "INVARIABLY"..

·p_A·
  • Options
    come on brianna, defend your stupidity!
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Well pardon me for using the incorrect word.

Seemingly always, the red sox and yankees are on sunday nights.

And pandrews, good to see you join the fray. Yankeeno, WP, it's been 'fun' as always getting you two dopes riled up.

Have a great day fellas!
  • Options
  • Options
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Looks like Axhole has the pea brain.

invariably................lol

Never did reply regarding varitek.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Seemingly always, the red sox and yankees are on sunday nights.

lol now it is seemingly always! hey dopey go and look at a schedule. if they play the sox 19 times during the yr, how many can possibly be on sundsay nites? 3 ior 4 at most????

jeese you dig yourself deeper and deeper with every mutterence.

Well pardon me for using the incorrect word.

No you used the correct word. You just did not know what it meant.

lol

typically you show just how stupid you really are.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Please show me where I said it's ALWAYS the yankees and sox.

Now, shouldn't you be in class? >>

that was worth another laugh..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Careful Perry...Axhole will accuse you of only having that one emotion! image

And actually, that IS the only emotion I have when he continues to be buried!
  • Options
    The only thing that is forced upon anyone here is axhole and his constant stupidity.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭

<< <i>I've stated repeatedly that I have accused NO ONE of mass murder. I have not named any names who is to be implicated in the plots that brought down the towers. I will leave you with this - of the 19 terrorists accused of being on the planes, 9 still are alive and well overseas. >>

This is news worthy information. Ax, I am sure any of the network news programs would love to break this story. You could probably get interviewed on TV while giving some lucky newsperson the scoop of the century...
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

The only yankee games I watch are when the Mariners play them, or when we (as a nation) are forced to watch yet another Red Sox-Yankee 'showdown' on Sunday night baseball. >>

Alrighty, here is the New York Yankee vs. Boston Red Sox schedule for Sundays this year.

Sunday August 20 2:05 PM
    Sunday September 17 TBD

There you have it. A chance for ONE (thats right ONE) Yankee / Red Sox game being FORCED down the throats of America. Is it not just utterly obvious how fixated Axtell is on the Yankees? This is how he spins every other anti Yankee arguement. He takes one small parcel and blows it up into a national outcry of how the Yankees just get too much attention by the media and even aliens I am sure.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Writer11Writer11 Posts: 738
    I'm still waiting to be convinced that Varitek isn't overrated. image

If Jeter is (which I don't think he is), then Varitek has to be, doesn't he?
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>First let me say again that I'm a Blue Jays fan, so don't get mad at the Yankees fans for this. But I'm starting to think that Jason Varitek is the most overrated player in baseball. I don't know if I can tolerate hearing one more thing about this guy's "intangibles." Am I missing something about this guy? I know I'm not living in Boston and he does wear the "C" but ...

I guess my argument is that if Jeter is overrated and we always hear about Jeter's "intangibles", at least Jeter is putting up Hall of Fame stats. Varitek, on the other hand, I've never heard so much about a guy whose stats seem just a little above average.

Am I missing something about this guy? >>

Great point writer. I am not going to bash varitek as he is a very good catcher. The hypocracy of the Jeter bashers is quite glaring. Jeter puts up the numbers AND has many of the so called "intangibles" that Varitek has. The difference is that Jeter is a NY Yankee and with that comes the venom. Jorge Posada has comparable if not better numbers than Varitek has. Plus Posada has 3 World Series rings in which he was the catcher in charge of championship pitching staffs. I think that is even a better arguement against Varitek.

Jeter gets bashed because he is a NY Yankee even though he IS putting up Hall of Fame numbers that go along WITH his intanginles. Jason Varitek flys under the radar and is considered so important to the Red Sox even though his numbers and World Series rings are eclipsed by Jorge Posada. Yet he is the captain and leader of the Red Sox and so revered by Sox fans. Not that he shouldn't be. I bet the very thought of the BIG EARED Posada being better would bring out a backlash rivaled only by Jeter supporting Yankee fans.

The BIGGEST difference in all of this is that you won't find many Yankee fans endlessly searching and searching for material to use against Varitek. We don't care, we only care about our Yankees.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>Seemingly always. >>

Try "far too often." It gives you the chance to inject your opinion, invariably.

in·var·i·a·ble - Not changing or subject to change; constant.

For those in Modesto - not variable or always.
  • Options

<< <i>Try "far too often." It gives you the chance to inject your opinion, invariably.

in·var·i·a·ble - Not changing or subject to change; constant.

For those in Modesto - not variable or always. >>

LOL..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    And who's on sunday night baseball this week? Whattya know, it's the YANKEES and Mets? Shocking!

• Options

<< <i>And who's on sunday night baseball this week? Whattya know, it's the YANKEES and Mets? Shocking! >>

• Options
    Sunday, May 21 - New York Yankees at New York Mets
    Sunday, May 28 - Oakland A's at Texas Rangers
    Sunday, June 4 - Los Angeles Angels at Cleveland Indians
    Sunday, June 11 - TBD
    Sunday, June 18 - TBD
    Sunday, June 25 - TBD
    Sunday, July 2 - TBD
    Sunday, July 9 - St. Louis Cardinals at Houston Astros
    Sunday, July 16 - New York Mets at Chicago Cubs*
    Sunday, July 23 - TBD
    Sunday, July 30 - TBD
    Sunday, August 6 - TBD
    Sunday, August 13 - TBD
    Sunday, August 20 - TBD
    Sunday, August 27 - TBD
    Sunday, September 3 - TBD
    Sunday, September 10 - TBD
    Sunday, September 17 - TBD
    Sunday, September 24 - TBD
    Sunday, October 1 - TBD

jeese all those yankee/ redsox games where are they?

Invariably, all are not NY related like our resident idiot proclaims.

inless of course he is psychic and knows the TBD games are.

steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    WP-

I take it you weren't hugged much as a child, is this why you scream for attention so much?

• Options
    When confronted with facts the resident idiot lamely attempts to switch gears.

You are a pistol.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    And you have only one mental gear, 'OFF'.

• Options
    image = Axhole.

nuff said.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    this is a great thread.. invariably..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Invariably pandrews comes down off his high long enough to poke his nose where it doesn't belong.

Invariably, WP finds a new emoticon and thinks he's original by posting it.

Invariably, I find myself lauging at the board trolls (WP, softy, yankeeno, and pandrews) who show up in force any chance they can get.

Invariably, I find myself bored at their lack of originiality.
  • Options

<< <i>Invariably pandrews comes down off his high long enough to poke his nose where it doesn't belong.

Invariably, I find myself lauging at the board trolls (WP, softy, yankeeno, and pandrews) who show up in force any chance they can get.

Invariably, I find myself bored at their lack of originiality. >>

is originiality something like congeniality?
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    axtell has been practicing her "ia" words so much today that she is even including the letters in words they dont belong..

invarIAbly, originIAlity, schizophrenIA,..

edited to add - brIAnna the unintelligentIA..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>Invariably pandrews comes down off his high long enough to poke his nose where it doesn't belong.

Invariably, I find myself bored at their lack of originiality. >>

I think I get it now! Axhole's personalities are him pretending and/or wanting to be us! How do I know this? Everything he says is actually a descirption of Axhole himself! Except maybe WP because I think Axhole isnt smart enough to figure out how to use the emotions, thus shows his jealousy of anyone else using them.

Steve, you are the only other real person on these boards!
  • Options
    Axhole you forgot one.

Invariably you are a fool.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>First let me say again that I'm a Blue Jays fan, so don't get mad at the Yankees fans for this. But I'm starting to think that Jason Varitek is the most overrated player in baseball. I don't know if I can tolerate hearing one more thing about this guy's "intangibles." Am I missing something about this guy? I know I'm not living in Boston and he does wear the "C" but ...

I guess my argument is that if Jeter is overrated and we always hear about Jeter's "intangibles", at least Jeter is putting up Hall of Fame stats. Varitek, on the other hand, I've never heard so much about a guy whose stats seem just a little above average.

Am I missing something about this guy? >>

Great point writer. I am not going to bash varitek as he is a very good catcher. The hypocracy of the Jeter bashers is quite glaring. Jeter puts up the numbers AND has many of the so called "intangibles" that Varitek has. The difference is that Jeter is a NY Yankee and with that comes the venom. Jorge Posada has comparable if not better numbers than Varitek has. Plus Posada has 3 World Series rings in which he was the catcher in charge of championship pitching staffs. I think that is even a better arguement against Varitek.

Jeter gets bashed because he is a NY Yankee even though he IS putting up Hall of Fame numbers that go along WITH his intanginles. Jason Varitek flys under the radar and is considered so important to the Red Sox even though his numbers and World Series rings are eclipsed by Jorge Posada. Yet he is the captain and leader of the Red Sox and so revered by Sox fans. Not that he shouldn't be. I bet the very thought of the BIG EARED Posada being better would bring out a backlash rivaled only by Jeter supporting Yankee fans.

The BIGGEST difference in all of this is that you won't find many Yankee fans endlessly searching and searching for material to use against Varitek. We don't care, we only care about our Yankees. >>

Yikes - Posada is "better" than Varitek? Varitek is revered in Boston, and he should be, for a number of reasons. Catchers are responsible for a lot of things that don't show up on a stat sheet (like handling pitchers properly and calling games) and Varitek is hands down the best at this in baseball. As team captain, he definitely leads by example - even while the 2004 team was referred to as "idiots", they followed his take no sh*t attitude on the field (remember the first time he met A-Rod on the field?) - one could argue he was one of the most important pieces of that championship team. And, his stats are always at or near the top for catchers as well.

Posada is a good catcher as well, he had many strong offensive years in NY. But, defensively - and when it comes to pitchers throwing to him, I don't think he's regarded that highly around the league. Even Randy Johnson has a problem with him catching his games.
  • Options
    Funny how Varitek can be praised for his intangibles but when someone says what intangibles that Jeter brings, everyone is in an uproar and is over rated because of this. Same goes for wearing the "C".

Posada carries plenty of his own clout and has the respect of his fellow Yankees. CT, do you have any idea WHY Johnson and Posada have had their problems? They are both proven, headstrong players who want to call the game their way. Thats all it is...not because Randy Johnson doesnt respect Posada or vice versa.

I'll give you what Varitek did with ARod it lit a fire under the Red Sox...but being revered isnt the same as production on the field. And I don't mean to sound like I am taking away from what Varitek does...he's awesome...but if I were faced with a choice between Varitek and Posada, I think I would go with Posada...and not just because I am a Yankees fan.
  • Options
    Ivan Rodriguez is still the king of all catchers in the baseball world!!!!

I have to edit this in..............I am sorry, I forgot, Posada is a Yankee, therefore, he is a HOFer, and since he is, Pudge no longer has HOF qualifications, because he is a Tiger!!!
  • Options

<< <i>if I were faced with a choice between Varitek and Posada, I think I would go with Posada...and not just because I am a Yankees fan. >>

Of course it's not.

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I am a big Jorge fan, but I have to agree with CT. Varitek brings more to the table than Posada. I certainly am one to talk about intangibles, and in as much as Jeter brings stuff to the table other than the numbers, Varitek certainly does so for the Sox. Catching is the most important position on the field, and Varitek does so much for that team as far as leadership and calling a great game. Posada brings hitting to the table, but is nowhere near the defensive player Jason is, nor does he handle a staff the way Varitek does.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Bri, I partly understand where you are coming from with that. But as far as the leadership role, Jeter has that control.

As far as Defense goes, they are quite equal..I guess the best measure would be their fielding %? Posada .992 and Varitek .993 career.

Don't get me wrong...I like the way Varitek plays. But with similar defensive stats, I'll take Posada because of his hitting.
  • Options
    With more thought, I was putting Jeter into the picture with the intangibles that Varitek brings.
    I still say its a tough call..I just think that if Jeter wasnt there, Posada could be a guy who could step on in that role.
    Tough call IMO
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I think this much is clear - Posada is a better hitter, and Varitek is a better receiver and leader. Posada has had the protection of a strong lineup for much of his career, you have to wonder how much of an impact that has had on his offensive numbers. Still, it's pretty rare to see catchers in this day and age going on 10 year careers with the durability they both have shown.
  • Options
    I completely agree with that statement CT. Posada has had better protection through I would say the second half of his career. But if I were to take ANY catcher in this league, it would be Ivan Rodriguez. Offense, defense, that man does it all! And he is on what? His 15th or 16th season? I remember when he came up he was compared to Bench...comparison was right on but I think Pudge is the better one of even the great Johnny Bench. Again, IMO
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>Ivan Rodriguez is still the king of all catchers in the baseball world!!!!

I have to edit this in..............I am sorry, I forgot, Posada is a Yankee, therefore, he is a HOFer, and since he is, Pudge no longer has HOF qualifications, because he is a Tiger!!! >>

No, Posada is not a hall of famer. Nobody claimed he was. Of course you have to throw it out there though ! And BTW, Pudge is hands down the greatest catcher I have ever had the pleasure of watching. I would have been glad to take him on my team any day.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Pudge would be #2 on the list of catchers of this generation for me...Piazza would be #1. I couldn't care less if my grandma could steal on him, his offensive numbers more than make up for it.

• Options

<< <i>Piazza would be #1. >>

invariably..
    ·p_A·