Home Sports Talk
Options

Most overrated player in each league.

Comments

• Options
    This Jeter bashing is getting tiresome.

Overexposed in the media, maybe, but I reiterate (and I'm an objective observer here - Blue Jays fan): no one will ever convince me that a surefire, future Hall of Famer is overrated.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably not. If I could, I would be playing shortstop for the Yankees, and be very overrated.

Shane

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Its on page 12 of this issue, and really affirms what most baseball fans feel about Jeter - but allow me to excerpt a few key points...

Now I have seen it all. How in the world can you state 'WHAT MOST BASEBALL FANS' feel about anything? HEII most people that replied to this thread disagree with it. get real.

Most fans.............what a crock.

I guess since some nit wit from espn seys it, it must be gospel.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Probably not. If I could, I would be playing shortstop for the Yankees, and be very overrated.

Don't flatter yourself, I know Derek Jeter and you sir are no Derek Jeter.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, I'm kidding. I did say, "Probably not."

Shane

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Its on page 12 of this issue, and really affirms what most baseball fans feel about Jeter - but allow me to excerpt a few key points...

Now I have seen it all. How in the world can you state 'WHAT MOST BASEBALL FANS' feel about anything? HEII most people that replied to this thread disagree with it. get real.

Steve >>

Actually, it seems to me that most people responding to this thread agree with it. Actually, they agreed with the assumption that Jeter was overrated even before that, but I thought that some specific examples would help you see the opposing point of view. I consistently hear about the "class" of Yankee fans, yet who is doing most of the name calling in this (and related) threads?
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Its on page 12 of this issue, and really affirms what most baseball fans feel about Jeter - but allow me to excerpt a few key points...

Steve >>

Actually, it seems to me that most people responding to this thread agree with it. Actually, they agreed with the assumption that Jeter was overrated even before that, but I thought that some specific examples would help you see the opposing point of view. I consistently hear about the "class" of Yankee fans, yet who is doing most of the name calling in this (and related) threads? >>

If it werent for you and other haters having no life other than bashing the Yankees, and Jeter in particular, then there would be no reason to call you out CT. More and more you sound like Axhole. Nothing good to say about your own team, just constant babbling about a team or player you dislike. It is seriously pathetic that your life is so meaningless you can not find anything to add other than hatred for someone. So I will ask you, as I have Ax, please.....talk about your own team. You whine and cry and complain about all the NY attention, yet you are one of the main reasons all things Yankees are mentioned on these boards so much. If you are so sick of hearing about them all the time as you claim, then dont come on here and make it worse by wasting your time bashing. I dont know how you guys cant see the stupidity of your actions. Its so simple, you dont like all the NY attention, you dont like NY, then DONT talk about them endlessly. Move on, talk about your Sox and be happy that they are doing well. No reason whatsoever for 90% of your effort and breath to be spent on a team you dont like. As for having class, well, tell me, how often does a Yankee fan come on these boards with endless data negating another teams worth or another players value ? NEVER. We cant be bothered. We are fans of our team, we enjoy our team, we root for our team, and when necessary defend our team. You NEVER see Yankee fans wasting endless hours of their life caring so much about another player or team. Sure we could spend hours upon hours looking up data to prove that Jim Rice or Carl Yastrzemski were lousy in the clutch or whatever. For every opinion there is data to spin it one way or another. You and others just cant help yourselves day in and day out finding data to prove how terrible Jeter, and the Yankees in general are. Why do you care so much ? And you question who is doing the name calling.....you are a joke....why do you think you are being called names ? Maybe its because you have nothing to do other than bash a player or team instead of talking positively and constructively about your own.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Bri - I wasn't really referring to you - and believe me, I think I come on here and talk about the Red Sox all the time. I didn't come on here and gloat on Tuesday after the 14-3 game - I don't pick and choose my spots. I promise you I'll continue to start, respond to, and engage in any and all threads Red Sox related.

However, this thread was not - look at the title. Who is the most overrated player in each league? The discussion led to Jeter, which is why the debate began. The other Yankee-centric posts weren't started by me either, they were usually started by someone gloating about how "Randy was Dandy" or some other such nonsense.

I am not obsessed with the Yanks, believe me. But, as the main rival of the team I do support, I take an interest in their trials and tribulations. I happened to find that Jeter article by accident, and thought it went with the theme of this thread.
  • Options
    Ct, I know that you discuss the Sox. My rant, although much of it was in response to your comment, was made in frustration and for the most part referring to certain other elements on these message boards. I am sure you can understand the frustration of constant, never ending babble about the Yankees by people who cant spend 2 minutes talking about a team they do like.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    bri-

you're really grasping now. Those of us who bash the yankees do so because the team is ruining the game we love. They have a financial advantage over every other team, and they exploit it. Then, we are forced to have 'fans' such as yourself come on here and rant about how steinbrenner wants to win more than owners, when, in fact, he just has more resources to do it with. We are forced to endure which big dollar free agent will be a yankee next, and we have to endure yankee 'fans' drooling over this free agent and that free agent, a virtual fantasy baseball team with all stars at every position, the yankee management strip mining small market teams of all their talent with contracts those smaller teams can't match - not because they don't want to, but because the yanks are fortunate to play in the #1 media market.

Then we are forced to endure crap about how Jeter 'knows how to win' and is so 'clutch' in the postseason when all he's done is been fortunate to be in a place that hits the postseason every year. And a mediocre player as Bernie, who, like Jeter, has been the byproduct of being in the right place at the right time.

Another gripe? Not every yankee who had some nice years is a hall of famer. I know you all are spoiled rotten by getting mediocre players in the past into the hall, but that doesn't mean everyone who wore stripes is elligible.

Now, is that reason enough for you?
  • Options

<< <i>bri-

you're really grasping now. Those of us who bash the yankees do so because the team is ruining the game we love. They have a financial advantage over every other team, and they exploit it. Then, we are forced to have 'fans' such as yourself come on here and rant about how steinbrenner wants to win more than owners, when, in fact, he just has more resources to do it with. We are forced to endure which big dollar free agent will be a yankee next, and we have to endure yankee 'fans' drooling over this free agent and that free agent, a virtual fantasy baseball team with all stars at every position, the yankee management strip mining small market teams of all their talent with contracts those smaller teams can't match - not because they don't want to, but because the yanks are fortunate to play in the #1 media market.

Then we are forced to endure crap about how Jeter 'knows how to win' and is so 'clutch' in the postseason when all he's done is been fortunate to be in a place that hits the postseason every year. And a mediocre player as Bernie, who, like Jeter, has been the byproduct of being in the right place at the right time.

Another gripe? Not every yankee who had some nice years is a hall of famer. I know you all are spoiled rotten by getting mediocre players in the past into the hall, but that doesn't mean everyone who wore stripes is elligible.

Now, is that reason enough for you? >>

Not even close pea brain.

First off, the financial advantage the Yankees have is nothing new. It has been that way since the 20's. I think anyone who has the slightest clue about the game we love knows that. Right or wrong, fair or not, its always been that way. So you fell in love with a game where that was already in place. I also dont recall anyone EVER saying that Steinbrenner wants to win more than anyone else ( but im sure you have a fantasy source to back that up)

Second, you are not forced to endure anything. Any comment made regarding Jeter is someones opinion, you dont have to listen to it, and you certainly can help yourself by not starting or adding to posts regarding him. If you didnt start crap every chance you get then 99% of what is said about the Yankees on here from fans wouldnt be said. Dont you see that almost everything Yankee related on these boards is posted by a non fan ?

Oh, Bernie was not a mediocre player. He isnt a hall of famer, and I seriously doubt that anyone thinks he is, but he certainly was well above the ranks of mediocre.

Lastly, the VAST majority of Yankee and baseball fans in general have a fairly good idea of hall of fame worthy or not. Is it that difficult for you to ignore the occasional rant about a borderline candidate ? Does it really affect your life that negatively where you need to consume your every waking minute trying to dispute ? Plenty of Yankees come and go who were great for the team.....Munson, Guidry, Mattingly, etc.......great players, not hall of famers, and I think most people, yankee fans or not would agree, despite what you would have everyone believe.

At this point it really doesnt matter. I would feel fairly confident in saying that you have zero respect on these boards for your ignorance, hatred, lies, and general stupidity. Your fantasy conspiracy and fabricated sources regarding 9/11 have more than solidified you as the all time court jester around here.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I am not obsessed with the Yanks, believe me. But, as the main rival of the team I do support, I take an interest in their trials and tribulations. I happened to find that Jeter article by accident, and thought it went with the theme of this thread. >>

Oh boy ...... you "found" the article by accident. Yet you run with it like you have found the fountain of youth. Good for you. THIS is your biggest downfall CT. I can run through the internet and "find" articles on the Red Sox and their players too. I would NEVER be dim witted enough to take the propaganda as GOSPEL and run with it. Post it like it was some kind of validation that the Earth is not flat. As cool a guy as I know that you are CT, you definatley suck up the propaganda like a sponge that never saw water.

Axtell? He or she is just a tool. Nothing more a CERTAINLY alot less. That idiot is all up in arms about what the Yankees will do without Matsui and Sheffield. You would think he or she would be worried about the sad sack team that he or she CLAIMS to be a fan off. But no, Axtell is not a Mariner fan. Just like he or she is not a Bucs fan. He or she just wants to make sure that the powers that be are dismantled. Sports or world events or any other arena where one entity has the capital to overcome. Axtell in a sense, is a representative of what has gone wrong with our nation in the past 40-50 years.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>First off, the financial advantage the Yankees have is nothing new. It has been that way since the 20's. I think anyone who has the slightest clue about the game we love knows that. Right or wrong, fair or not, its always been that way. So you fell in love with a game where that was already in place. I also dont recall anyone EVER saying that Steinbrenner wants to win more than anyone else ( but im sure you have a fantasy source to back that up) >>

Wrong again. The yankees only started this insane spending spree in 1995. In 1994, what team had the highest payroll? Minnesota twins. Since then, the yankees have far outspent every other team. And yes, it has been said george wants to win more than any other owner, but excuse me if I don't have links handy.

<< <i>Second, you are not forced to endure anything. Any comment made regarding Jeter is someones opinion, you dont have to listen to it, and you certainly can help yourself by not starting or adding to posts regarding him. If you didnt start crap every chance you get then 99% of what is said about the Yankees on here from fans wouldnt be said. Dont you see that almost everything Yankee related on these boards is posted by a non fan ?
    >>

Really? Everything yankee related is posted by non fans? You honestly believe that?

<< <i>Oh, Bernie was not a mediocre player. He isnt a hall of famer, and I seriously doubt that anyone thinks he is, but he certainly was well above the ranks of mediocre. >>

Why? Because he played in so many postseasons? Because he was so 'clutch'? He was an average fielder, with a subaverage arm who, for an outfielder, hit for subpar power.

<< <i>Lastly, the VAST majority of Yankee and baseball fans in general have a fairly good idea of hall of fame worthy or not. Is it that difficult for you to ignore the occasional rant about a borderline candidate ? Does it really affect your life that negatively where you need to consume your every waking minute trying to dispute ? Plenty of Yankees come and go who were great for the team.....Munson, Guidry, Mattingly, etc.......great players, not hall of famers, and I think most people, yankee fans or not would agree, despite what you would have everyone believe.

At this point it really doesnt matter. I would feel fairly confident in saying that you have zero respect on these boards for your ignorance, hatred, lies, and general stupidity. Your fantasy conspiracy and fabricated sources regarding 9/11 have more than solidified you as the all time court jester around here. >>

Well the PMs I get tell me quite the opposite story. Just because there are several of YOU (and by YOU, I mean loud, obnoxious yankee 'fans') doesn't mean you are a majority. Your arrogance and presumptions over who I am and what people think about me are quite funny.

If it makes you sleep better at night, thinking you've 'stuck it' to me, well by all means go ahead. But your attempts at bullying those who would dare to question the 'greatness' that is the yankees don't fly with me.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>First off, the financial advantage the Yankees have is nothing new. It has been that way since the 20's. I think anyone who has the slightest clue about the game we love knows that. Right or wrong, fair or not, its always been that way. So you fell in love with a game where that was already in place. I also dont recall anyone EVER saying that Steinbrenner wants to win more than anyone else ( but im sure you have a fantasy source to back that up) >>

Wrong again. The yankees only started this insane spending spree in 1995. In 1994, what team had the highest payroll? Minnesota twins. Since then, the yankees have far outspent every other team. And yes, it has been said george wants to win more than any other owner, but excuse me if I don't have links handy.

<< <i>Second, you are not forced to endure anything. Any comment made regarding Jeter is someones opinion, you dont have to listen to it, and you certainly can help yourself by not starting or adding to posts regarding him. If you didnt start crap every chance you get then 99% of what is said about the Yankees on here from fans wouldnt be said. Dont you see that almost everything Yankee related on these boards is posted by a non fan ?
    >>

Really? Everything yankee related is posted by non fans? You honestly believe that?

<< <i>Oh, Bernie was not a mediocre player. He isnt a hall of famer, and I seriously doubt that anyone thinks he is, but he certainly was well above the ranks of mediocre. >>

Why? Because he played in so many postseasons? Because he was so 'clutch'? He was an average fielder, with a subaverage arm who, for an outfielder, hit for subpar power.

<< <i>Lastly, the VAST majority of Yankee and baseball fans in general have a fairly good idea of hall of fame worthy or not. Is it that difficult for you to ignore the occasional rant about a borderline candidate ? Does it really affect your life that negatively where you need to consume your every waking minute trying to dispute ? Plenty of Yankees come and go who were great for the team.....Munson, Guidry, Mattingly, etc.......great players, not hall of famers, and I think most people, yankee fans or not would agree, despite what you would have everyone believe.

At this point it really doesnt matter. I would feel fairly confident in saying that you have zero respect on these boards for your ignorance, hatred, lies, and general stupidity. Your fantasy conspiracy and fabricated sources regarding 9/11 have more than solidified you as the all time court jester around here. >>

Well the PMs I get tell me quite the opposite story. Just because there are several of YOU (and by YOU, I mean loud, obnoxious yankee 'fans') doesn't mean you are a majority. Your arrogance and presumptions over who I am and what people think about me are quite funny.

If it makes you sleep better at night, thinking you've 'stuck it' to me, well by all means go ahead. But your attempts at bullying those who would dare to question the 'greatness' that is the yankees don't fly with me. >>

A$$wipe.......you have just proved what an ignorant fool you are by talking about the payroll for ONE year....1994 ????? IF you had one inkling of baseball knowledge you would know that the Yankees have had the advantage in a major way financially for 80 or so years.

Bernie is above mediocre whether he ever played in one post season. The guy had a .300 lifetime ave. till last yr, and won several gold gloves. Once again that proves you know not what you speak of.

And Ax, PM's you send yourself from other id's do not count towards real people or real friends. Sorry, but alter egos and Schizoid ramblings to not count. And for the record, ther are alot of people on here who arent yankee fans who also think you are a complete and utter fool.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>
    A$$wipe.......you have just proved what an ignorant fool you are by talking about the payroll for ONE year....1994 ????? IF you had one inkling of baseball knowledge you would know that the Yankees have had the advantage in a major way financially for 80 or so years.

Bernie is above mediocre whether he ever played in one post season. The guy had a .300 lifetime ave. till last yr, and won several gold gloves. Once again that proves you know not what you speak of.

And Ax, PM's you send yourself from other id's do not count towards real people or real friends. Sorry, but alter egos and Schizoid ramblings to not count. And for the record, ther are alot of people on here who arent yankee fans who also think you are a complete and utter fool. >>

Like I said..bernie should have retired last year.

I'm not sure why this isn't soaking in, but I don't have any alt IDs (though I know some of you yankee boys definitely do). And again, please show me where I have ever posted anything other than my opinion in hopes of 'fitting in' you obviously aspire to with every post. You're the guy who never fought your own fight, you were always in the crowd, egging on the fighters, never with enough determination to get into your own scrap.

He's a sub .300 hitter with little power in an era of unprecedented home run numbers. And he's an outfielder hitting less than 25 homers a year? Mediocre.

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Non-Yankees fans always want to spout off about the money that the Yankees spend but then in the same breath say how they havent won in 5 years. Doesnt that PROVE that you can't buy the World Series? Sure you can pretty much buy being competative but it doesnt = World Series. Payroll is such a moot(sp) point.
  • Options
    Well Axhole, again you show NO true knowledge of baseball. Is it only you who thinks that any great hitter has to have tons of HRs? Does that make your butt buddy Ichiro a mediocre player? Seems so by your standards.
  • Options
    Payroll absolutely determines a team's success in the long run. Sure, there will be one year aberrations here and there, but, all things being equal, the higher payroll wins out.

Since the yankees have become such a distant overspender, they have been to the playoffs every year, winning the division every year. Not because they 'want to win' more than other teams, but because they have the means to hide mistakes with more payroll that other franchises don't have the luxury of doing.

• Options
    Then try to explain the Atlanta Braves....ooops! Can't, can you. How can one person have so much crap to spill? Oh, it's probably all the multiple personalities taking a dump at the same time.
  • Options

<< <i>Then try to explain the Atlanta Braves....ooops! Can't, can you. How can one person have so much crap to spill? Oh, it's probably all the multiple personalities taking a dump at the same time. >>

Hmm in 2006 their team payroll is 8th, at over $92 million. By the way, the yankees more than double that, at $198+ million.
    2005, 9th, at just over 90 million.
    2004, 8th, 88 million.
    2003, 6th, 103 million.
    2002, 7th, 93 million.
    2001, 6th, 91 million.
    2000, 5th, 94 million.

The only teams they consistently spend less than are:

NY Yankees, Boston Red Sox, LA Dodgers, NY Mets, Chicago Cubs.

Any more questions, genius?
  • Options
    You call THAT buying your way to the playoffs? Sure the Braves paid some of their talent to stay but that is why they were successful not because they were buying their way to the playoffs. World of difference GENIUS.
  • Options
    Genius.

They have been in the top 9 in spending every single year since 2000 (and I am sure before then, too, but 6 years was more than enough of a sample size). Being in the top 10 in payroll means your chances of being in the playoffs are very, very, very good.

I am sorry you can't see that spending 90-100 million isn't more than enough to assure postseason chances. You are used to $200 million team salaries, so $100 million must seem like chump change.
  • Options
    So Ax, by what you are saying, if your team ( whoever that may actually be since you dont talk about anything but the Yankees ) had the resources to spend unlimited money you wouldnt want them to ? Would you no longer be a fan ? Just admit that it comes down to jealousy and we can all put this to rest.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>So Ax, by what you are saying, if your team ( whoever that may actually be since you dont talk about anything but the Yankees ) had the resources to spend unlimited money you wouldnt want them to ? Would you no longer be a fan ? Just admit that it comes down to jealousy and we can all put this to rest. >>

It has NOTHING to do with jealousy and everything to do with LAMENT over what's happened to the game I grew up loving.

People wonder why the NFL is now the national pasttime and baseball becomes less and less relevant year over year, one only need to look at one thing - a salary cap.

Baseball has quickly dissolved into a 'have and have not' system. Teams like the Red Sox, Mets, Dodgers, (and yes, Yankees) are able to take advantage of their placement in bigger media markets. I am not criticizing them for doing so - I am simply pointing out that this disparity distances more and more fans every year.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So Ax, by what you are saying, if your team ( whoever that may actually be since you dont talk about anything but the Yankees ) had the resources to spend unlimited money you wouldnt want them to ? Would you no longer be a fan ? Just admit that it comes down to jealousy and we can all put this to rest. >>

It has NOTHING to do with jealousy and everything to do with LAMENT over what's happened to the game I grew up loving.

People wonder why the NFL is now the national pasttime and baseball becomes less and less relevant year over year, one only need to look at one thing - a salary cap.

Baseball has quickly dissolved into a 'have and have not' system. Teams like the Red Sox, Mets, Dodgers, (and yes, Yankees) are able to take advantage of their placement in bigger media markets. I am not criticizing them for doing so - I am simply pointing out that this disparity distances more and more fans every year. >>

I guess thats why baseballs attendance is at an all time high.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>
    I guess thats why baseballs attendance is at an all time high. >>

thats right. the game has never been in better shape then it is now. Even with all the things that should have torn the game down.

Axtell, you didn't "grow up" loving the game. Who are you kidding? image You began watching the game in the past 10 years. It is obvious. Stop with the charades. image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Who said he grew up?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>
    I guess thats why baseballs attendance is at an all time high. >>

And why baseball's ratings continue to plummet.

Please look at the ratings for the past, oh, say 10 world series games and compare them to the last 10 super bowls, and tell me that baseball's position as 'America's Pasttime' hasn't been buried by the NFL.

• Options
    What the NFL has done or is doing is not the question. Again Axtell try to deflect how moronic he sounds. Comparing Super Bowl ratings to World Series ratings fits in perfectly with Ax's M.O. Spin spin spin

You questioned the health of baseball and were proved 100% wrong as baseball sells more tickets now then it ever has. Don't bring up the IDIOTIC argument of TV ratings comparing Super Bowls and World Series again. You are just too DUMB to know what you are talking about.

Baseball is a much more regional game then football is. ALWAYS has been and ALWAYS will be. If Boston and Chicago are playing in the Series you will get great ratings in those two areas and low ratings elswhere. That is how baseball has been FOREVER. SHUT UP ALREADY. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

• Options
    Here here image
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>What the NFL has done or is doing is not the question. Again Axtell try to deflect how moronic he sounds. Comparing Super Bowl ratings to World Series ratings fits in perfectly with Ax's M.O. Spin spin spin >>

Please tell me how ratings DON'T reflect America's turning to football as the new national pasttime? One need to only look at how poorly the ratings for the World Series have been lately, in comparison to the Super Bowl, to see the NFL has surpassed it.

<< <i>You questioned the health of baseball and were proved 100% wrong as baseball sells more tickets now then it ever has. Don't bring up the IDIOTIC argument of TV ratings comparing Super Bowls and World Series again. You are just too DUMB to know what you are talking about.
    >>

Again, please tell me how ratings DON'T reflect the health of a sport? I'd like to know, oh wise one, why you feel ratings aren't an indicator of which sport is more popular nationally.

<< <i>Baseball is a much more regional game then football is. ALWAYS has been and ALWAYS will be. If Boston and Chicago are playing in the Series you will get great ratings in those two areas and low ratings elswhere. That is how baseball has been FOREVER. SHUT UP ALREADY. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. >>

Baseball is more regional? What the hell are you talking about? You are out of your mind. You must forget that baseball was once the most dominant sport in America, where it wasn't 'regional' as you so blindingly talk about.

You are so moronic words fail to describe it.

• Options
    Ax, I think he already explained everything very clearly. You have a knack of being proven wrong, explained to very clearly why you were wrong ,then posting your EXACT questions again without comprehending the answers already given to you.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Baseball is more regional?

What i think dan meant is that you can live in NY and be a fan of the Packers or cowboys etc. while if you live in NY you will most probably be a fan of the Yanks or mets.

I could be wrong, but that is what I think.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Baseball is a regional sport. Yes it is. There is no doubt. When the Cardinals are playing the Phillies you will get very good ratings in those two markets. If that game is put on national TV the ratings tank. Almost nobody cares outside of the respective market. When the Rams are playing the Eagles everybody watches it. Football has national appeal. People go to bars, play in pools, etc that make any football game worthy of watching. The comparison of Super Bowl vs. World Series ratings is moronic. The Super Bowl is nothing short of a holiday. Tremendous ratings, betting, drinking, eating. It is a one shot extravaganza that appeals to even non sports fans because it is a real good excuse to have a good time.

Now, baseball is selling more tickets then it ever has. It has tremendous health in spite of itself. Axtell is basing his baseless arguement on TV ratings. Super Bowl vs World Series. Two completly different animals. And I can't wait until he is stupid enough to bring up regular season TV ratings. 162 games vs 16. Come on Ax, try and use that one image

• Options
    Writer11Writer11 Posts: 738
    I can tell you that the TV ratings are way up for Blue Jays game here near Toronto. Rogers Sportsnet reportedly had a TV audience of over 600,000 for the Jays home opener, while the Jays home opener in 2005 had a TV audience of around 250,000. T.V. ratings certainly aren't down in Toronto.
  • Options
    writer, what you are talking about are "REGIONAL" TV ratings. It is the "NATIONAL" numbers that Axtell foolishly is comparing with the NFL. You kind of help proove my point. The ratings for Blue Jays games are obviously decent in and around your local market. Put that Blue Jay / Ranger game or whatever on national TV and the numbers tank. Baseball is MOST DEFINATELY a regional game. All teams will do at least fairly well in its local REGIONAL market. Almost none of them will do well with a NATIONAL audience. This does not mean diddly squat in terms of baseball's popularity and health. Which is at a all time high right now.

• Options
    soft,

I agree wholeheartedly with what you are saying. I just wanted to add that in my region the Blue Jays ratings have doubled and then some over the course of one season.
  • Options
    Does this have anything to do with Axhole watching more Yankees games even though he lives in CA? We know how much more involved he is with what goes on with the Yankees than any other team.
    I guess his own desire of watching Yankees games gives him a false impression of regional vs national.
  • Options

<< <i>Does this have anything to do with Axhole watching more Yankees games even though he lives in CA? We know how much more involved he is with what goes on with the Yankees than any other team.
    I guess his own desire of watching Yankees games gives him a false impression of regional vs national. >>

Good lord do you ever stop?

The only yankee games I watch are when the Mariners play them, or when we (as a nation) are forced to watch yet another Red Sox-Yankee 'showdown' on Sunday night baseball.

• Options
    are forced to watch

You are forced huh?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>are forced to watch

You are forced huh?

Steve >>

Well, there is only one TV in the nuthouse, and I heard they strap him down and pin his eyelids back every time the Yanks are on. They call it therapy, but it doesnt seem to be working as of yet.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    First let me say again that I'm a Blue Jays fan, so don't get mad at the Yankees fans for this. But I'm starting to think that Jason Varitek is the most overrated player in baseball. I don't know if I can tolerate hearing one more thing about this guy's "intangibles." Am I missing something about this guy? I know I'm not living in Boston and he does wear the "C" but ...

I guess my argument is that if Jeter is overrated and we always hear about Jeter's "intangibles", at least Jeter is putting up Hall of Fame stats. Varitek, on the other hand, I've never heard so much about a guy whose stats seem just a little above average.

Am I missing something about this guy?

• Options
    Forced to watch, yes.

Sunday night baseball is a good relaxing way to cap off the weekend...and invariably, it's the sox and yankees.

I know its tough for those of you so fixated on the yankees, but those of us outside that tiny little geographical area of the world would like to see some variety.
  • Options
    What you are missing is yankee fans not finding polls, articles and stuff in a lame attempt to downplay a players ability.

As for Varitek he plays an important posistion, is the captain of the team and does not have anti boston zealots remarking constantly about him here.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I know its tough for those of you so fixated on the yankees, but those of us outside that tiny little geographical area of the world would like to see some variety.

Ever hear of dish network?

fixated on the Yanks? jeese if that aint the kettle calling the pot black.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Actually I have direct tv ya dope.

And sunday nights, there is typically just the one game on, as MOST (if not all) games are day games. But then, if you were a fan and not a board troll you'd know that, wouldn't you, ya big dope?

• Options
    BS Axhole

Ohh t 1st off the only DOPE here is you.

WHY?

the yanks and redssox do not play one another EVERY SUNDAY

AND there are PLENTY of other games on too. NOT all sunday games are day games. Jeese you really are an idiot if you expect us to believe that crap.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    axtell there is a thread on the open forum about some of the schizo delusions you suffer from..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    WP-

What part of sunday NIGHT did your tiny little brain not comprehend?

And please direct me to where I said they yanks/sox played EVERY sunday night?

Are you really, truly this stupid, or do you just pretend to be for the folly of the CU boards?
  • Options
    And sunday nights, there is typically just the one game on,and invariably, it's the sox and yankees.

I think you said those things? unless of course Perry is correct and you do suffer from multiple personalities.

to be fair you never came out and said that Yanks play redsox EVERY sunday nite. But taken from the few posts that your retarded mind was posting that is what you tried to convey.

So yes you are an idiot

next?

Steve
    Good for you.