Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• Options
    Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    As some of you know, I have been searching for a Len Ford autograph for some time now. I picked this one up from Kevin Keating. The other signatures on the page I am not familair with. The only ones I can really make out are John Kissell and Ebba St Claire? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
    Reese

Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I don't collect this set, but there is a local dealer who has a cut auto of Nagurski and a UD cut auto of Lombardi (cut check put on a card). It's a PSA 8 already. I believe he is asking $550 for the Lombardi and $65 for the Nagurski. The Nagurski is not authenticated but it looks good and I'm sure it's real. Either of these a good buy?
  • Options
    tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    Hal Herring - alive
    Derrell Palmer - alive
    John Kissell - D-92
    Cliff Lewis - D-02

Lin Houston - D-95
    Bob Oristaglio - D-95
    Ken Carpenter - alive

that is what I see so far

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
  • Options
    Ebba St. Claire - baseball D-82

• Options
    Matt Batts was a baseball catcher in the 1950s and is still alive.

Randy
    Always buying George Brett Gem Mint Cards!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help guys!

I think I have confirmed one more:
    Chuck Stobbs-Baseball Alive

These are the last two I can't seem to figure out:

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>I don't collect this set, but there is a local dealer who has a cut auto of Nagurski and a UD cut auto of Lombardi (cut check put on a card). It's a PSA 8 already. I believe he is asking $550 for the Lombardi and $65 for the Nagurski. The Nagurski is not authenticated but it looks good and I'm sure it's real. Either of these a good buy? >>

Josh,

The last few Lombardi cuts sold for well under $550. Here are the recent completed auctions from ebay.

02 SP Legendary Cuts
    SCG 96-$455
    Raw-$393

2002 UD F/X cuts
    Raw-$420
    Raw-$425

A PSA/DNA envelope signed by Nagurski just sold for $50. A raw index card sold for $25, while two others did not sell with opening bids of $34 and $49.

Hope this helps!
    Reese

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't collect this set, but there is a local dealer who has a cut auto of Nagurski and a UD cut auto of Lombardi (cut check put on a card). It's a PSA 8 already. I believe he is asking $550 for the Lombardi and $65 for the Nagurski. The Nagurski is not authenticated but it looks good and I'm sure it's real. Either of these a good buy? >>

As Reese pointed out, the Lombardi is fairly high. There are a lot of Lombardi cut auto'd cards out there...and the going rate is normally b/t $400 to $500. $550 is high but not obnoxiosuly expensive. Are you thinking of buying it?

Rgs,

Greg M.

Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    greg,

nice try on the herber. i saw that you had emailed the seller. good luck to all with bidding.

jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>greg,

nice try on the herber. i saw that you had emailed the seller. good luck to all with bidding.

jay >>

Jay,

You would have done the same image

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    well to be honest your right. i was about to email him with an offer and noticed ours and his reply. image

any news from frank??
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Good luck guys. This should be interesting
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    well its been bid up to 300 already. thats 100 less then gregs offer to end the item early.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    It's a really nice card. I was starting to wonder if it was actually released since it has been about a month since NT went live and none of the 6 had hit ebay.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    me too, but i figure since it was a low pop card it might take awhile. plus others sellers might be waiting to see what one really brings. there isnt much market data out there for the Herber's. i plan to be a big player for this card. it would leave me just curly let to get all my HOF Packers. I doubt we will see a curly any time soon, but with some of the ones out there that arent on a card there must be checks floating out there somewhere. after all many of these guys were either club/nfl execs, plus nearly all payments were in the form of checks in those days.

so as i said to greg, i will probably be all in for this card.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    I came across this auction earlier today. I didn't know that Paddy Driscoll had a baseball card. I know its unlikely, but I guess it means we can move him out of the "impossible" category.

Paddy Driscoll 1919 Zeenut
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    i saw that card out there a day or so ago. wasnt sure if that was really the same guy or not.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    strange a google search shows he played one year in baseball, 1917. yet the card is 1919.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    I can't tell from the picture, but the seller seems to think it is the same person. Its unlikely though that there are any signed copies floating around. Driscoll's autos are pretty tough to find
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    i have my doubts about that zee nut. under driscoll it says LA. paddy played for Chi NL (I take that to mean the cubs) in 1917. on the wika site that links to his baseball stats it only shows one year 1917.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Probably not the football player then, oh well, maybe in next years National Treasures.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Hey Guys,

A little self promotion.

I know most are interested in HOF autographs, but I updated my NFL non-HOF 3x5's and College Football HOF sections on my website. If you get a chance, check it out. I will add more...but for now - hope you enjoy.

• Options
    Paddy Driscoll went out to California to play in the Rose Bowl on Jan 1, 1919 with the Great Lakes Naval Training Station team - and there is a P Driscoll listed in the Statistical History of the Pacific Coast League - see this link link
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭

<< <i>

As Reese pointed out, the Lombardi is fairly high. There are a lot of Lombardi cut auto'd cards out there...and the going rate is normally b/t $400 to $500. $550 is high but not obnoxiosuly expensive. Are you thinking of buying it?

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

I don't have any use for it quite honestly. I was thinking if the price was fair and someone wanted it, I would get it and sell it to them. He doesn't usually move on his prices unless he's had something for a long time. I know the guy he got the Lombardi from off another board but I don't know what he paid hiim. He got the card about a month ago so it'll be a while before I get to see any real price discount. I don't remember which card it is. I think it's F/X though now that you mention it. It's a black and white on top with a check on the bottom that goes the whole width of the card and all the way to the bottom.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Guys,

A little self promotion.

I know most are interested in HOF autographs, but I updated my NFL non-HOF 3x5's and College Football HOF sections on my website. If you get a chance, check it out. I will add more...but for now - hope you enjoy. >>

Jim,

I love the website. I think the Chuck Bednarik 8X10 with the inscription "your next" is awesome! Keep up the good workimage
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words guys. Hopefully it will help show some 'tougher' autographs and people can then compare to other examples they find.

Bednarik is great! Probably the best NFL HOF'er signer.

• Options
    Unfortunately, Bednarik is one of the few remaining HOFers who will sign for free. Berry now charges $25 and Marchetti now charges $15 (donation to the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation).

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Would anyone else like to participate in the upcoming group submission? If so, please e-mail me at montooth13 at yahoo.com or PM me here.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    I have nice Paul Brown auto'd 1975 Fleer Immortal Role for $75 dlvd if anyone is interested.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

Hello,

I can't believe what just happened, but would Love to hear what you guys think about what I just bought. When you have a minute, look at Ebay # 140211558055. Three item lot. I am stunned.

Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Options
    I saw it. Just didn't feel comfortable with it. Hope it real though. If so, you got it at a nice price.

• Options
    I don't trust that seller. He also had a signed 1957 Topps signed by Norm Van Brocklin which I need for my signed 1957 Topps set. I passed because the seller is shady to say the least.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    I was watching it, but couldn't pull the trigger. If it is real, then you really got a great deal. Are you going to get it authenicated?
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    good luck to you on getting it certified. i have no clue as to if its real or not.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭
    Has anyone ever submitted a book for review? I have both Dan and Art Rooney in books that I believe are authentic but haven't had them checked.

• Options
    revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭
    While I'm posting I'll put this up here, too - what is probably an obscure, but interesting autograph - Ed Thorp who was an early NFL offical - he also was a college offical, most notably at the Rose Bowl where Stanford and Ernie Nevers went up against Notre Dame and the Four Horsemen - his controversial call on a Nevers run resulted in the Notre Dame win. When he died in 1934, the NFL Championship Trophy was named the Ed Thorp Memorial Throphy in his honor - it was first won by the Giants in the "sneakers game" against the Bears.

• Options
    I really love checking out old NFL autographs like that Mike. Anyone can find a HOF'er, for the most part anyway. It is those obscure guys who are the real challenge to find.

Keep them coming

Jim

• Options

Hello All,

Mike, I want to wholeheartedly agree with Jim. I also LOVE seeing the items that you show. And I am sure that you have only shown the tip of the iceberg. You have a truly amazing collection. As far as the signed Dan Reeves picture. I have never dealt with this person, but I hope he is legit. If you saw his other items he had listed, You saw the Steve Owen he had for sale. I was the underbidder that screwed up and didn't bid enough. But the good thing is, Les Woolff won the Owen. And if Les thinks he is legit. then I'll take my chances. ABSOLUTELY, I am going to have it authenticated. I am going to the www.csashows.com next week in Chantilly, Va. I doubt that I will have it by then. But Jim Spence is coming to Cleveland, Ohio for a big show April 11-12-13. I will submit it then. I don't know if I should also have it slabbed? I have to this point only had 3x5's and checks slabbed. Anyone have an opinion on slabbing a 3x5 photo? Tuffstuff doesn't even have a price listed in their price guide for a signed Reeves photo. I know this is the first one I have ever seen. I know if it passes JSA, I am going to do cartwheels around my house!!!!

Take Care

Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Options
    Rocke,

I'm not sure about JSA, but PSA could easily slab that photo. You might also have the option to have them place a sticker on it. I really hope it is real. If not, hopefully the seller will refund you. Good luck!

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    UllrUllr Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    Well I finally updated my set. Over 50% in baseball and football autographs.

Football

Baseball

collecting '67 & '75 red sox + baseball HOF autographs
  • Options
    Ullr,

That's great - thanks for sharing your scans!! I love the vintage signed cards...I've been collecting more of those lately. I think the best looking autographs are those signed in ball point or thin sharpie on a cardboard based card (rather than glossy).

By the way, please check your PM.

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Rocke,

I'm not sure about JSA, but PSA could easily slab that photo. You might also have the option to have them place a sticker on it. I really hope it is real. If not, hopefully the seller will refund you. Good luck!

Reese >>

Reese, If I have it slabbed, I WILL have PSA/DNA do it. And I will have them authenticate it also, so it will be dual-authenticated. The thing is I won't see PSA/DNA until I go to the CSA show in Chantilly, Va. in July. I will see Jim Spence in April in Cleveland. I need to know if it passes authentication BEFORE my time runs out on Ebay for leaving a feedback so I have some leverage, ie: leave a negative feedback, if it DOES NOT pass authentication, so I can hopefully get a refund. I hope that makes sense. As far as slabbing, I was wondering if you guys had an opinion on whether I SHOULD have it slabbed. Slabbing GLA cards, Sports cards, 3x5 cards, etc. is one thing. I just don't remember ever seeing a picture/photograph slabbed. I don't know if it would look kind of dumb. Any thoughts.....

Rocke
  • Options

<< <i>Reese, If I have it slabbed, I WILL have PSA/DNA do it. And I will have them authenticate it also, so it will be dual-authenticated. The thing is I won't see PSA/DNA until I go to the CSA show in Chantilly, Va. in July. I will see Jim Spence in April in Cleveland. I need to know if it passes authentication BEFORE my time runs out on Ebay for leaving a feedback so I have some leverage, ie: leave a negative feedback, if it DOES NOT pass authentication, so I can hopefully get a refund. I hope that makes sense. As far as slabbing, I was wondering if you guys had an opinion on whether I SHOULD have it slabbed. Slabbing GLA cards, Sports cards, 3x5 cards, etc. is one thing. I just don't remember ever seeing a picture/photograph slabbed. I don't know if it would look kind of dumb. Any thoughts.....

Rocke >>

I would have it slabbed. Here is a photo that was slabbed for me. I imagine your picture is about this size and would fit nicely in the holder. It would also be wise to pay with a credit card. Your credit card company can perform a chargeback and protect you in case you cannot recover a refund. I unfortunately had a similair situation not too long ago, but I was able to get back my money with my credit card company's help. Also, when sending to PSA/DNA I dont believe you need to be a PSA member. I'm not sure if you would be able to get it back in time for James Spence in April, but it may be worth a try.

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Hey guys,

Saw the thread and had to jump in since I also am working on a HOF autograph set (and any other old-timers that catch my eye). I know this group mostly collects on card auto's, but I thought maybe you would still appreciate a few of my recent additions. The Wistert auto I got back from him TTM today....great signer and really nice man. The Bert Bell is a 1959 NFL players contract. Lastly, are two 8X10s of Charlie "Choo Choo" Justice and Steve Van Buren. If anyone has any leads on a nice and reasonably priced Gene Hickerson or Link Lyman auto, please let me know. Thanks!

Ken
    ken_ams@hotmail.com

• Options
    Hello again,

...and just to get back on topic here are a few HOFers. The Perry I got TTM last week for a $15 donation. The Bill George I picked up at the CSA show in Chantilly, VA maybe two years back. The Leemans I got on E-bay. I would like to get some of these PSA/DNA slabbed in the near future.

Ken

• Options
    what kind of Hickerson are you looking for ..3x5 or cards?

• Options
    Ken,

Thanks for posting the scans. Although all of us collect autographed cards, we appreciate when people share scans of whatever autographed items they have. Personally, I have signed 8x10's, signed letters, signed 3x5 cards and even a few helmets.

Very sweet - thanks again. I especially like the Justice.

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Jim,

Pretty open on Hickerson...cards, photo, 3X5's....I would take anything. Just looking for a nice auto to add to my collection. I did end up picking up a Marshall Goldberg 3x5 in January from a dealer, but I wanted to thank you for your offer and assistance on that one. I need to check out your site again...it blew me away the first time I saw it and inspired me to start hunting again for some of those most elusive autographs. Take care.

Ken
    ken_ams@hotmail.com
  • Options
    ok, i have a few 3x5's , if you are interested....there is one on my 3x5 page (all look like that one pretty much)

• Options

<< <i>Hello again,

...and just to get back on topic here are a few HOFers. The Perry I got TTM last week for a $15 donation. The Bill George I picked up at the CSA show in Chantilly, VA maybe two years back. The Leemans I got on E-bay. I would like to get some of these PSA/DNA slabbed in the near future.

Ken

image >>

Hello Ken, I have a couple of signed Hickerson 8x10's. I live in Canton, Ohio, about 5 minutes from the Hall of Fame. I have met Gene, got him at various signings, events, etc. at least 6-8 different times. Are you going to CSA next week? If so I can bring them with me. This will be my 6th time that I have made the trip to Chantilly. Other than the 4 National's I've been to, Chantilly is my favorite show. Let me know if you are going and I will Email you my cell phone #.

Rocke