Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok - the list of non-players to be added to the future HOF auto set is:

For owners, I'd say the only viable candidates right now are:

Art Modell (he has been a finalist once or twice)
    Ralph Wilson Jr. (2 x finalist)
    George Young (multiple time finalist)
    Bob Harlan / Ron Wolf
    Bob Kraft

Other executives / personalities:

Paul Tagliabue
    Steve Sabol
    Ed Sabol

Coaches:
    Bill Parcells
    Marty Shottenheimer
    Bill Cowher
    Bill Belichick
    Clark Shaunessey
    Don Coryall
    Jimmy Johnson
    Dan Reeves
    Mike Shannahan
    Mike Holmgren

Anyone else?

Greg M. >>

Frank/Todd,

What do you think about the list above? Should we request they be added to the future HOF set?

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Thank you very much Frank. You are exactly right, and I sure missed alot of details when looking at the signature. Deep down, I think I knew it wasn't real, but wanted to add it so bad I took the chance.

OK this is weird. I went to check and see if the seller emailed me back. The listing was completely removed. My ebay account doesn't show that I need to pay for anything. I checked the item number and there is no trace of the listing, so it worked out great. I won't get a negative and I didn't have to pay! I've never had this happen before, so I couldn't be happier. Kudos to PSA or Ebay, or whomever decided to pull the auction.
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!

<< <i>look at my collectors showcase set of future HOFer Autos. >>

Jay,

I was finally able to check out your Future HOF cards on the registry. There wasn't a picture for Tagliabue, but what do you guys think of this? Any chance it would pass?

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333

<< <i>

<< <i>look at my collectors showcase set of future HOFer Autos. >>

Jay,

I was finally able to check out your Future HOF cards on the registry. There wasn't a picture for Tagliabue, but what do you guys think of this? Any chance it would pass?

image >>

Jay,

That should pass PSA/DNA. Both Frank and I have a 1992 Proline card slabbed already. I'm not aware of Tagliabue having auto penned any of hte cards.

Greg M.

References:
  • Jay, I'm going to say there's a 50% chance it might be auto-penned.
    Auto pens tend to leave a heavy dot at the end of a line. That's because the pen rests for a moment before being lifted. This auto, to me at least, shows 4 areas where this is present. Observe these 4 points on the signature.
    #1 The ending loop of the "P"
    #2 The end of the letter "L" in Paul
    #3 The end of the cross stroke in the "T"
    #4 Most obvious spot, the end of the signature itself.

In all 4 spots you will notice a "dot" at the end of the stroke. I still think it might be worth a shot submitting though.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    i will be home today reese. i will try to give mine a scan.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
    Thanks guys! It was only $10 so I'm not really worried about it. The reason I was concerned is that I recieved a random email from an ebay user, who I have never dealt with before saying they were all autopens. I also asked on the message board, and everyone came to the conclusion it was an autopen.

Here is a link to the thread:
    Tagliabue Proline
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Here is my Tags that has been PSA/DNA authenticated:

If you notice, the signature dips down from left to right. In the few autopenned cards that I've reviewed, the signature would be straight across the card (e.g. 1991 Proline Jim Kelly, 1993 Proline Troy Aikman and many Pete Rozelle auto'd cards).

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭
    I am pretty sure its an Autopen, I overlaid reese and gregs scan, and after some resize due to scan DPI variations, they overlay perfectly. If either of you have photoshop, I can send the .psd file.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
    alifaxwa2,

Thanks for doing that. It looks like I will be looking for another Tagliabue! image
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    reese,

why not send it in. greg's was slabbed. i will scan and post mine tomorrow. its from the same set and was psa/dna'd as well.

jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    There just seems to be too many red flags. Even if it makes it in a PSA slab, if it's not legit I don't want it in my collection. I don't know, we will see...
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Just trying a post as someone who has never been to this forum before - my primary interest is players from the 1920s and 1930s - I've written articles for the Professional Football Research Association and for Gridiron Greats. I like the HOF autographs but I also like to work around the edges - recently I picked up a Ole Haugsrud autograph - the manager of the Duluth Eskimos. I have some older Giants autographs on my website http://pages.prodigy.net/revmoran/index.html I'd like to import a different picture to go with my posts, but didn't see how to do that - Mike Moran

Hi Mike!

Welcome to the boards. I am glad you found it. Thank you very much for emailing me the Tim Mara autograph. Mara was the only HOF signature I have never seen, and Mike was gracious enough to send me a scan. I had a chance to check out your website, and really learned alot about your father. You have an amazing autograph colllection as well, keep up the good work!

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Hello Everyone,
    I guess today is a day for a couple of new members. I would like to introduce myself, and tell you a little about my collection. My name is Rocke Sweaney and I live in N. Canton, Ohio, about 5-7 minutes from the Hall of Fame. I have been collecting football HoF autographs for well over 20 years. I recently just accidentally tripped onto this website and went back and have read EVERY post from the beginning. I KNEW that I had to join. I have been exchanging Emails with Reese for a couple of weeks and he encouraged me to join when I told him about my collection. I think you all know about the Goal Line Art card set. If anyone doesn't, I will be glad to go into more detail about them, but I am lucky to have one of the 99 "GOLD" sets that the Hall sold, of which that, at the MOST, there are only 52 complete sets left in existence. Of the 241 cards in the GLA set, 186 are autographed. The only autographed GLA card that I do NOT have, is the Alex Wojociechowicz. I also have 6 cancelled checks, G. Trafton, B. Waterfield, B. Nagurski, V. Lombardi, Ken Strong, and Pete Henry. I also have 39 Unlined, Non-Personalized 3x5 cards. Most are Blue ink, a couple black, and of course Arnie Herber in Green. Only my Dan Reeves is personalized, but, I "only" had to pay $814.00 for it. OUCH!!!! Of the 45 checks/ 3x5 cards, all but about 7-8 have been PSA/DNA authenticated and slabbed. I will be seeing PSA at the www.csashows.com show in Chantilly, Va. in July and will turn those over to them then. The last 10 that I still need are basically the same as Reese's, I need : Joe Carr, Hugh Ray, Walt Kiesling, Bill Hewitt, Tim Mara, Curly Lambeau, Charles Bidwell, Len Ford, Fritz Pollard, & Steve Owen. If anyone has any questions, Please let me know. I also want to invite all of you to visit the Hall if you never have before. And if you do come to Canton, you MUST let me know. The above listed items are in my safe deposit box, but they are really good about giving me an office desk when I bring people in to show them my collection. I have alot of other autographed "stuff' but I don't want to bore any one to death, so I'll sign off for now. Thanks again Reese, for inviting me in.
    Rocke Sweaney
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.

<< <i>Hello Everyone,
    I guess today is a day for a couple of new members. I would like to introduce myself, and tell you a little about my collection. My name is Rocke Sweaney and I live in N. Canton, Ohio, about 5-7 minutes from the Hall of Fame. I have been collecting football HoF autographs for well over 20 years. I recently just accidentally tripped onto this website and went back and have read EVERY post from the beginning. I KNEW that I had to join. I have been exchanging Emails with Reese for a couple of weeks and he encouraged me to join when I told him about my collection. I think you all know about the Goal Line Art card set. If anyone doesn't, I will be glad to go into more detail about them, but I am lucky to have one of the 99 "GOLD" sets that the Hall sold, of which that, at the MOST, there are only 52 complete sets left in existence. Of the 241 cards in the GLA set, 186 are autographed. The only autographed GLA card that I do NOT have, is the Alex Wojociechowicz. I also have 6 cancelled checks, G. Trafton, B. Waterfield, B. Nagurski, V. Lombardi, Ken Strong, and Pete Henry. I also have 39 Unlined, Non-Personalized 3x5 cards. Most are Blue ink, a couple black, and of course Arnie Herber in Green. Only my Dan Reeves is personalized, but, I "only" had to pay $814.00 for it. OUCH!!!! Of the 45 checks/ 3x5 cards, all but about 7-8 have been PSA/DNA authenticated and slabbed. I will be seeing PSA at the www.csashows.com show in Chantilly, Va. in July and will turn those over to them then. The last 10 that I still need are basically the same as Reese's, I need : Joe Carr, Hugh Ray, Walt Kiesling, Bill Hewitt, Tim Mara, Curly Lambeau, Charles Bidwell, Len Ford, Fritz Pollard, & Steve Owen. If anyone has any questions, Please let me know. I also want to invite all of you to visit the Hall if you never have before. And if you do come to Canton, you MUST let me know. The above listed items are in my safe deposit box, but they are really good about giving me an office desk when I bring people in to show them my collection. I have alot of other autographed "stuff' but I don't want to bore any one to death, so I'll sign off for now. Thanks again Reese, for inviting me in.
    Rocke Sweaney >>

Rocke,

That's hysterical that you read the thread from the beginning. It's amazing how many people have been drawn to the HOF auto set over the past 3 years. I was the first to pass the 40% mark on the HOF auto set on the registry and now there are at least 5 people over 50% complete. I love the Goal Line set...I have around 135 signed now... How much did you pay for the gold set? The set was pretty cheap when it was issued...wasn't it?

Feel free to check out my set "Greg Montieth's collection" and e-mail me at montooth13 at yahoo.com.

Regards,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>Just trying a post as someone who has never been to this forum before - my primary interest is players from the 1920s and 1930s - I've written articles for the Professional Football Research Association and for Gridiron Greats. I like the HOF autographs but I also like to work around the edges - recently I picked up a Ole Haugsrud autograph - the manager of the Duluth Eskimos. I have some older Giants autographs on my website http://pages.prodigy.net/revmoran/index.html I'd like to import a different picture to go with my posts, but didn't see how to do that - Mike Moran >>

Mike,

Welcome to the HOF auto thread...we like our little community here. That's amazing that you picked up a Ole Haugsrud autograph. He was a senior nominee back in 1973 and I have been trying to collect all "future HOFers" including prior senior nominees who weren't elected. How tough is Haugsrud to find?

A few more nominees who I've never seen autographs of are Tony Morabito and Blanton Collier. Have you seen autographs of either person before?

Regards,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>Just trying a post as someone who has never been to this forum before - my primary interest is players from the 1920s and 1930s - I've written articles for the Professional Football Research Association and for Gridiron Greats. I like the HOF autographs but I also like to work around the edges - recently I picked up a Ole Haugsrud autograph - the manager of the Duluth Eskimos. I have some older Giants autographs on my website http://pages.prodigy.net/revmoran/index.html I'd like to import a different picture to go with my posts, but didn't see how to do that - Mike Moran >>

Mike,

The Lummus and Blozis autographs are amazing...both players died in WW2:

Lt. Jack Lummus (E, Giants, 1941) – Killed on Iwo Jima in 1945
    Lt. Al Blozis (T, Giants, 1942-1944) – Killed in France, 1945

Blozis was voted to the Team of the decade for the 1940's. Any idea how much those autogaphs are worth?

Greg M.

References:

• Hello Greg,

When the hall originally started selling the sets, They were $4,000.00 + 209.00 Tax. You got the Gold set, which are # to 100. Ex. 13/100, 55/100 etc. I have set # 16/100. You also got you choice of 1 Blue stamped "Proof" card. You could take Joe Namath, who had also signed his GOLD card, OR you could take a Dan Fortmann, Who did NOT sign his GOLD cards, and in fact only signed 33 of his 50 PROOF cards. It was all he could sign due tue the Alzheimer's sisease that had taken him over. So there are only 33 signed Fortmann GLA cards in existence. Much to my shock, when I bought my set, the first 15 people that bought one before me had taken the Namath!!!! So, I have card # 1/50 of the Fortmann proofs. The Very FIRST Goal Line Art card that Dan signed!!!!! I have spent approx. $800.00 on the '03, ' 04, ' 05, ' 06, and ' 07 update sets of the new classes. When the Hall had sold about 75 of the 99 sets, They then raised the price to 4,800.00 + tax, plus you still ( if you wanted ) had to buy the updates. Also, by the way Reese, I also, about 2-3 months ago bought one of the ProLine Tagliabue cards. I didn't know at that time, but have since found out that Beckett ( for what it's worth ) did release a statement that the Tagliabue cards were in fact autopenned. I just recently bought an unlined 3x5 card on Ebay that I will have authenticated in July.

Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • I first found an Ole Haugsrud autograph on eBay but it was not mentioned in the auction description - it was sold as a letter to Howard Maple from the Chicago Cardinals about reporting for training camp in 1929 (image). Because my father played for the Cardinals in 1927 I was looking for anything related to that team, and it was only after the letter arrived and I did a little research that I figured out the signature at the bottom was Ole Haugsrud who was hired in 1929 as manager of the Cardinals with an eye towards Ernie Nevers. The more recent acquisition is a contract (image) for the game between the Bears and the Eskimos on Dec 11, 1927 - the Eskimos last game. This is signed by Halas, Sternaman, and Haugsrud - it was on eBay BIN.

The Lummus autograph is on a 1941 team signed picture(image), but I picked up another one on a team signed 1941 set of pages - they were part of a mostly baseball collection and I offered the seller a fair price to just sell me the football pages. The Blozis is a cut taped into someone's old album - I'd like to find a better example.

I don't know what they are worth - I recently took the 1941 team signed pages to a show and one dealer was interested in Lummus after I explained he was awarded the Medal of Honor after his death on Iwo Jima, but I think that was because he didn't know the story and it was for his own collection. Steve Owen and Tuffy Leemans are on the same pages, so they have established values and would probably drive the price. I didn't pay much for the Blozis, but it's not in great condition. I haven't seen another one to figure out a value.

• jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    That's some beautiful football stuff. Thanks for sharing!
  • That is some great stuff you have!

Todd
    I just added my PSA 9 Conzelman to the set!!! Enjoy!

Greg M.

References:
    very nice greg. you have been quite quiet about that one. how much was it?? what else are you hiding from us???
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    Jay,

lol...I mentioned it a long time ago but just got it back in my recent order. I paid $550 for it...which isn't bad considering it's #'d out of 9. It was a private sale in which I also bought the 1997 Leaf Sid Luckman ($150 for the Luckman).

Very sweet. I also have the Greasy Neale coming back to me and its finally in a slab...so another one down.

Anything new w/ you?

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>Hello Greg,

When the hall originally started selling the sets, They were $4,000.00 + 209.00 Tax. You got the Gold set, which are # to 100. Ex. 13/100, 55/100 etc. I have set # 16/100. You also got you choice of 1 Blue stamped "Proof" card. You could take Joe Namath, who had also signed his GOLD card, OR you could take a Dan Fortmann, Who did NOT sign his GOLD cards, and in fact only signed 33 of his 50 PROOF cards. It was all he could sign due tue the Alzheimer's sisease that had taken him over. So there are only 33 signed Fortmann GLA cards in existence. Much to my shock, when I bought my set, the first 15 people that bought one before me had taken the Namath!!!! So, I have card # 1/50 of the Fortmann proofs. The Very FIRST Goal Line Art card that Dan signed!!!!! I have spent approx. $800.00 on the '03, ' 04, ' 05, ' 06, and ' 07 update sets of the new classes. When the Hall had sold about 75 of the 99 sets, They then raised the price to 4,800.00 + tax, plus you still ( if you wanted ) had to buy the updates. Also, by the way Reese, I also, about 2-3 months ago bought one of the ProLine Tagliabue cards. I didn't know at that time, but have since found out that Beckett ( for what it's worth ) did release a statement that the Tagliabue cards were in fact autopenned. I just recently bought an unlined 3x5 card on Ebay that I will have authenticated in July.

Rocke >>

Hey Rocke,

I am glad you joined! Its good to see you posting here. Thanks for the update on the Tagliabue.

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333

<< <i>I just added my PSA 9 Conzelman to the set!!! Enjoy!

Greg M. >>

Sweet card Greg!

I was wondering when that one would finally come back.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    nope, just a trafton like everyone else.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's

• Hello everyone,

By the way Reese, I did win the Jimmy Conzelman 3x5 on Heritage Sunday night. The one I had before this one is VERY nice, but it was signed on the lined side of the 3x5, sooooo, I had to upgrade. I was also after the Herber. You were right in what you said. That was a VERY sweet autograph. Mine looks EXACTLY like that one except that on mine the "g" in good luck, barely touches the "A" in Arnie. Wanted to upgrade that one as well, but couldn't justify what would be at least $507.00 I paid 395.00 for mine from Rich Albersheim. I haven't seen anything that I am likely to be after from Heritage for the next 4 auctions.

Rocke
  • tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    Hi Rev,

Glad you found the site! Lots of great discussion here.

Show your Lassman!!

Jim

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
    The third time is the charm. Got this back from PSA today with the mech error fixed. I am glad I can finally add it to my set.

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Reese:

Glad to see that persistence pays off. Congrats on finally getting that Allen correctly labeled.

<< <i>Hello everyone,

By the way Reese, I did win the Jimmy Conzelman 3x5 on Heritage Sunday night. The one I had before this one is VERY nice, but it was signed on the lined side of the 3x5, sooooo, I had to upgrade. I was also after the Herber. You were right in what you said. That was a VERY sweet autograph. Mine looks EXACTLY like that one except that on mine the "g" in good luck, barely touches the "A" in Arnie. Wanted to upgrade that one as well, but couldn't justify what would be at least $507.00 I paid 395.00 for mine from Rich Albersheim. I haven't seen anything that I am likely to be after from Heritage for the next 4 auctions.

Rocke >>

Rocke,

Congrats on winning the Conzelman. I have a photo signed by Conzelman, but really liked that index card they had. So your not going to be bidding on that Lambeau letter from Heritage coming up soon?

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Reese,

Congrats on the Allen finally making it back in the correct version. Now if only I can get my hands on one of them.

Jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    Thanks Scott and Jay,

I picked it up from UKredskins and was really excited about it getting it back. The only other signed Allen card I've seen is Gregs.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    It's too bad that Allen always signed so lightly. I've seen 3 or 4 signed All cards (including mine and Reese's) and all were lightly signed in ball point or felt tip pen.

Greg M.

References:
    well if you see one again let me know greg.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    my 24th edition beckett, 2007-08 edition doesnt mention that the Tags auto was an autopen version.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    I finally received my Greasy Neale back today from PSA - this time it's slabbed!

Greg M.

References:
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Greg!
  • Nice Neale Greg!

Todd
  • I'd love to find a good Neale autograph. An interesting part of his career was when he coached at Yale with future President Gerald Ford. In 2002 I sent Ford a copy of a picture from a 1938 Yale program and he sent it back with a note about the head coach, Ducky Pond. He also wrote each coach's position on the photocopy and sent that back - Neale is in the first row on the left next to Pond and Ford is standing behind Neale. Ford wrote "backfield coach" over Neale's dark jersey.

• Hello everyone,
    Nice Earle Neale, Greg, odd isn't it, the way he signed his name so differently at different ages in his life? Hey, that's pretty funny Reese. LOL. Yeah, I had nooooo intention at all concerning bidding on Lambeau. I figured I'd just wait until the next handwritten, signed letter came along. No seriously, I am going to bid, and I will go well over $1,000.00, but it depends on a couple of things how high I will go. I am taking my Wilt Chamberlain jersey to the CSA show in March to have Spence authenticate it. After that I plan on selling it, but don't know if I will have it sold and received payment for it by the May Heritage auction. Plus I am owed about $6,000 by a guy in Canton that I have been buying auto's for. Right now I have a cancelled Pete Henry check and a cancelled check from POSSIBLE HoFer Jack Kent Cooke, and 3x5's of Paddy Driscoll, Jim Finks, Jimmy Conzelman, Mike Michalske, Bobby Layne,Wayne Millner, John "Blood"McNally, Guy Chamberlin, and a cut from a check of George P. Marshall. I know he is good for it, as he has already bought a lot of autographs from me, but I am nearing the edge on how much I can spend until either he pays me or I sell the Jersey. The thing that kind of scares me about that Lambeau letter is that this is the 4th one that Heritage has auctioned. The first three sold for $1,500.00, $1,500.00 and $2,900.00 I really like the letter, and for obvious reasons I don't want to be to specific, but if some fundage comes my way before then, I will bid somewhere in the neighborhood of 2,000.00

Rocke
    Thanks guys. I bought the Neale from Kevin Keating who confirmed that the autograph was signed in the mid-20's when he still played MLB for the Reds I believe. The autograph is signed in felt tip pen and is absolutely beautiful. As a matter of fact, the autograph is so perfect that PSA originally rejected it as a stamp. Kevin Keating intervened and asked that Steve Grade re-review. He did and it was finally slabbed.

My next quest is to have my George Preston Marshall signed 1966 Philly Redskins team card authenticated. It was rejected once by PSA...so I'm debating whether to send it back in or submit to JSA.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:

• << <i>Thanks guys. I bought the Neale from Kevin Keating who confirmed that the autograph was signed in the mid-20's when he still played MLB for the Reds I believe. The autograph is signed in felt tip pen and is absolutely beautiful. As a matter of fact, the autograph is so perfect that PSA originally rejected it as a stamp. Kevin Keating intervened and asked that Steve Grade re-review. He did and it was finally slabbed.

My next quest is to have my George Preston Marshall signed 1966 Philly Redskins team card authenticated. It was rejected once by PSA...so I'm debating whether to send it back in or submit to JSA.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Greg,

Please forgive me, and PLEASE tell me if I am out of line, but I feel like I should tell you what I know. As I am sure you know, George Preston Marshall ( GPM ) was in the charter class of 1963, and died in 1969. But what I don't know if you know or not, there is a famous picture of the charter class on the steps of the Hall of Fame taken when they were inducted. In the photo is Sammy Baugh, "Dutch" Clark, Red Grange, George Halas, Mel Hein, Cal Hubbard, Don Hutson, "Curly" Lambeau, John McNally, Bronko Nagurski, & Ernie Nevers. I could not figure out why GPM was NOT in the picture. GPM was NOT in Canton for his induction, and in fact was represented by a long time friend by the name of Milton King. In 1968, when former Redskins Wayne Millner and Cliff Battles were inducted, GPM was not here then either, even though he was the owner when they played. I couldn't figure out why. I did some research and found the answer. GPM suffered a stroke in 1963, shortly BEFORE the HoF induction ceremony. He was not able to attend, and could not attend in ' 68 when Millner and Battles were inducted. I suspect that because your card is a 1966, that is why it was rejected. I am guessing that all of the bank check "cuts" that are available were from checks that he signed BEFORE his stroke. I am guessing that he was not physically able to sign the card that you have due to the stroke he had 3 years prior. If you do re-submit, good luck, and I really do hope that it passes.

Rocke
  • tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731

• THAT'S IT !!!!!!!! Thank You for posting the picture to which I was refering. I have it in a few of my Football Hall of Fame programs, but I must confess to being pretty much a computer illiterate. I don't know how to take picture's and them get them on a computer web-site. Go ahead, ALL of you have a GREAT BIG LAUGH AT MY EXPENSE !!! NO PROBLEM !!! When I do learn, I will post pictures of some of my auto's if anyone wants to see any of them. Thank You Jim, and by the way, I REALLY like your website very much.

Rocke
    Rocke,

If you have a chance check your email. I know someone with a Ford if you want it.

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • There must be some programs from the HOF ceremony in 1963 with a set of great autographs. I have a copy signed by Nagurski and Baugh, but someone, somewhere, probably has one signed by all the great men in the photo that Jim posted.

Rev,

I would love to see that picture signed. Nice Bronko by the way!

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333