Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi all........i`m a newbie here, i`ve just recently started collecting hof sigs on cards i`ve got close to 175 sigs, but now the fun+ $`s begin. I imagine a lot of my fellow collectors ,who are further along,have several doubles,i`ve already have 5 or 6 myself. does anyone have a list of sigs they would like to sell? .......p.s this can be very addictive.........lazz >>

Lazz,

Welcome to the HOF auto thread...it's always great to add "new blood" to the mix. Please e-mail me at montooth13 at yahoo.com with a list of the HOF auto's that you still need. I have the #1 set (for now) and am down to 18 autographs (possibly 17 if I win the Arnie Herber!).

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options

<< <i>Greg,

I've emailed you. Turk should be on his way! >>

Thanks Reese! Much appreciated. FYI - I'm moving toward the middle the next month, so you may be mailing the card to Wichita!

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>I would like to add my congratulations to both Jay and Greg. I really like ballpoint pen autographs like the Turk Edwards that you won Greg. Nice clean signature. And Jay, that is an absolutely perfect Herber auto. Congats. to both of you.
    Rocke >>

Thanks Rocke...much appreciated. The Edwards has been incredibly elusive....the one that Reese bought for me is only the 2nd that I've seen. Turk does have a cut signature from the 2002 Legendary Cuts set, but I've never seen one for sale. Regardless, I would rather have a vintage signed card than a cut autograph if at all possibly. I own 3 cut autographs, none of which are possible on signed vintage gum cards; Lombardi, Conzelman and Trafton.

I love the Nagurski autograph. What's funny is that his autograph didn't change much over the years. I've seen autographs from the 60's, 70, and 80's and his auto varied very little over that period.

Mike Hattley at Touchdown Treasures has several signed programs from the 80's and 90's. I've thought of buying a few, however I already have my hands in too many candy jars.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    P.S. I am the owner of the 97 Legends Russ Francis certified autograph card you mentioned a few days ago in the thread and was quoted a few times in the recent Beckett article on the set. I have never seen another Francis. Wish I would have seen that Dean auto...would have been a nice addition to my Legends set.

Hi Ken. I was mentioned in that article too. How did you come into that R. Francis card? If you have scan pleas epost or you can email me at FFMAZZ@AOL.COM
    Frank
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Why is Lombardi impossible? Packers team cards or Packers Play cards from the late '50s and '60s were available and signable (and IIRC he's in a small inset pic on '64 Phila. Packers Play).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options

<< <i>Why is Lombardi impossible? Packers team cards or Packers Play cards from the late '50s and '60s were available and signable (and IIRC he's in a small inset pic on '64 Phila. Packers Play).

Nick >>

Nick,

YOu're right - Lombardi isn't "impossible" on a gum card, however I have never seen a Packers team card signed by Lombardi nor have I heard of one that exists. I'm sure a few exist, however they have to be incredibly rare.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Congrats on the Herber Greg!!!
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Options
    I second that Reese - nice pick up Greg!
  • Options
    Frank,

Here you go on the Francis:

Russ Francis Front

Russ Francis Back

Ken
  • Options

<< <i>I second that Reese - nice pick up Greg! >>

Thanks guys - it has been a very expensive week!!

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Got my cards back from PSA today. Here are some of the highlights

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    A couple more...
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    and a couple more...
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Reese,

Awesome...thanks for sharing the scans. I especially love the 55 Topps AA Ken Strong...sweet!

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭
    Do you know how these are graded - what weight is given for the quality of the card and what weight for the quality of the autograph? I have collected two sets of the 1955 Topps All Americans, so I can have the front and back next to each other in the album pages, and have signed cards from Graham, Strong, Hein, Newman, and Wojciechowicz. I've never had any graded in part because I don't like the plastic holder - which is one reason this forum is interesting to me - it's a different point of view.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Guys, sorry to post this card again but is there a set I can register it under? I tried a few on the registry and it wouldnt accept it..

Not a big deal as Im not trying to collect a set but I like to list my cards for inventory purpose.
  • Options

<< <i>Do you know how these are graded - what weight is given for the quality of the card and what weight for the quality of the autograph? I have collected two sets of the 1955 Topps All Americans, so I can have the front and back next to each other in the album pages, and have signed cards from Graham, Strong, Hein, Newman, and Wojciechowicz. I've never had any graded in part because I don't like the plastic holder - which is one reason this forum is interesting to me - it's a different point of view. >>

The cards are graded based on the condition of the card, and not the autograph. There is a service where you can get the autograph graded only. PSA does not grade both the condition of the card and the autograph together, it's one or the other.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Guys, sorry to post this card again but is there a set I can register it under? I tried a few on the registry and it wouldnt accept it..

Not a big deal as Im not trying to collect a set but I like to list my cards for inventory purpose. >>

Usually the registry won't accept anything the first time you try to add it. It always takes me initially adding it, then waiting 24 hours and having to add it again before anything shows up in the autograph sets. I would try again and if you still can't add it you can contact customer service and they will take care of it for you.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Thanks Reese!
  • Options
    Perk (and the perkies),

You should be able to add the card by tomorrow. Are you going to add the card to the HOF auto set?

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Greg WE ( image ) just wanted it under the All Time Great QB's auto registry. I also have my eye on a Gifford autoed on a Swell card as well, I might want to put that under the All Time Great RB's one? Originally I wanted it under the NFL HOF auto registry.. under that one in parenthesis it had medium? next to it- not sure what that meens.

Edit- it might be easier to put in the HOF auto one like I origanally planned but it wouldnt accept it...
  • Options

<< <i>Greg WE ( image ) just wanted it under the All Time Great QB's auto registry. I also have my eye on a Gifford autoed on a Swell card as well, I might want to put that under the All Time Great RB's one? Originally I wanted it under the NFL HOF auto registry.. under that one in parenthesis it had medium? next to it- not sure what that meens.

Edit- it might be easier to put in the HOF auto one like I origanally planned but it wouldnt accept it... >>

Perkdog,

It might be easier to chase the All Time auto sets rather than the full HOF auto set....and less expensive.

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Is anyone interested in a 1975 Fleer Immortal Rose signed Paul Brown? I have a duplicate that I picked up in a recent trade/purchase. I'm asking $75 dlvd obo. I also have an autographed 2000 Fleer autographs John Randel #'d / 250 for $15 dlvd.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hello,

I just met a guy through Ebay email, that has some stuff for sale. I sent him a question with my Email address and we have exchanged 6 Emails in the the last 36 hours. He told me that he has just given a '1963, 1964, and 1965 Hall of Fame program to Mastro auction. The ' 64 and ' 65 programs were signed by ALL of the inductees AND their presenters. ( Every enshrinee from the ' 64 and ' 65 class was alive and in good health at that time ). The ' 63 program is signed by John "Blood" McNally, Bronko Nagurski, George Halas, Don Hutson, "Curly" Lambeau, "Red" Grange, Ernie Nevers, Joe Guyon , and Harry Stuhldreher, Jimmy Crowley, Don Miller, and Elmer Layden, AKA The Four Horsemen of Notre Dame who were the presenters for, Stuhldreher/Sammy Baugh, Crowley/Curly Lambeau, Miller/Bronko, Layden/ Ernie Nevers. Plus it has an additional 15 signatures.

We are going to be hooking up next week as I just bought an insignificant item from him ( a 1988 HoF program ) I can't wait to see what these will go for. The nicest ' 63 program I have ever seen did have a Curly, but it only had about 5 or 6 others besides.
    Rocke >>

Those would be programs I'd find very hard to part with! What was his ebay user name - I'd like keep an eye on his auctions. Thanks.
    Mike Moran >>

Hello, I wanted to check with him to make sure that it was OK to post his Ebay name before I just went ahead and did it on my own. He said no problem. His Ebay name is parksee He did say that the programs that he had was some of his best stuff that he has right now that he is willing to sell. They will NOT be on Ebay remember. He consigned them to Mastro auctions. He said that that they will be in there next big auction which is June. He did just sell on Ebay a Paul Brown "Proof" Goal Line Art card and a 1962 Pro Football Hall of Fame game program. He came over last night and brought the ' 88 program for me. I now have every Football Hall of Fame program in Nm-Mt condition EXCEPT 1967 and 1998. Anybody out there have one they want to sell me? Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Options
    I just received 3 Lou Creekmur autographs back after waiting over 2 years! Read my post on Sportscollectors.net (mailed on 3/17/06).

Link

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Greg. Email me a copy of the post. I can't get onto the siteimage
  • Options

<< <i>Greg. Email me a copy of the post. I can't get onto the siteimage >>

Frank,

Here you go:

Sent $45 with 1956 & 1957 Topps Archive cards & GLA on 3/17/06. It just arrived with a note from C Creekmur (his wife?) that read "Found this envelope in a group of hurricane damaged papers - sorry about the length of time". She also returned my check uncashed. Unreal.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    That's an amazing story. Can you post the autos?
  • Options

<< <i>Hello,

I can't believe what just happened, but would Love to hear what you guys think about what I just bought. When you have a minute, look at Ebay # 140211558055. Three item lot. I am stunned.

Rocke >>

Hello, I just got the package in the mail yesterday with the signed cards of " Bulldog " Turner, Arnie Weinmeister and the 3x5 signed photo of Dan Reeves. Took it to the local show today. Ray Guy was the autograph guest and I got to take him to the Canton/Akron airport after he was done signing. VERY COOL. Any way, showed the photo to my buddy Rod, who has 239/241. He said he had never seen a signed Reeves photo, but said he thought the autograph looked authentic to him. James Spence is going to be in Cleveland at a big show in Cleveland on April 11-12-13. Hopefully it passes authentication. Then I'll get it slabbed. On a side note, I got the letter of authenticity for my signed Wilt Chamberlain jersey in the mail on Friday. Plan to have it on Ebay in the next couple of days. The only other one on Ebay right now has a Buy it Now of $14,999.00 Or Best offer. I am going to throw in to the winner a picture of Wilt & myself from when he signed it. I hate to sell it, I am a collector, not a dealer, but it should bring quite a few $$$ to get a few/almost all? of the final 10 that I need. Wish me luck.

Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Options
    Congrats Rocke! Do you have a better scan of the Reeves photo?
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Did anyone see that MOSH updated his set?
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    FWIW, future HOFer Paul Taglibue is signing again though his DC addy. I had a few of the Proline cards, but they're all autopenned even though PSA/DNA slabs them as authentic. Just had a nice success with a quick turnaround and the auto's are legit and not autopenned.
  • Options
    Scott, pm sent
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    I'm doing some research for an article about Steve Owen material and could use some help with more recent card sets, especially any inserted cards that might have his cut autograph. Is there one place to find a list of these? Do any of you have such cards? Can I search the sets registered with PSA to see how many might be out there? Any help would be appreciated. I'm also interested in any cards that are related to his time in the CFL - I don't think there are any - but I'd like to be proven wrong.

Mike Moran
  • Options
    Rev,

The only cut card Owen has was released in the 2002 Sp Legendary Cuts Set. According to Beckett, there were only #5 released. This is NOT mine, but it is the only picture I have. I have never seen one for sale, so I have no idea on the pricing. I would love to own this card!

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Could you tell me a little more about that set - did a person have to buy a pack of five cards but you don't know what's in there? I think I've seen them in the stores but they seemed pricey for taking a chance - or do dealers have a way of knowing what's in there and cherry pick the good cards? Did any of these change hands on eBay and does anyone know the prices they brought? Thanks.
  • Options
    Here is a little more info on the set. Currently, there are 2 boxes on ebay available for $98 and $107. I'm not sure the SRP when they were released. I know I have been looking for the Owen in this set for about 3 or 4 years, and have never seen one sell.

2002 UD SP Legendary Cuts

12 packs with 4 cards in each. 210 card base set that includes 10 Victory March(each #d to 2500), 10 Titans of the Gridiron(each #d to 1500) and 10 Road to Immortality(each #d to 800), Level 1 Rookies(each #d to 1500) and Level II Rookies(each #d to 800). Each box on average will contain TWO #d Rookie cards, TWO #d Subset cards and TWO Game-Used/Worn Memorabilia cards.

The odds of pulling one of the legendary cuts cards was very difficult. Since they were all serial numbered, UD didn't list the odds of pulling one. They were randomly inserted. Here is the checklist, with the amount of each player released.

LC-AH Arnie Herber Packers 25
    LC-AW Alex Wojciechowicz Lions 28
    LC-BG Bill George Bears 85
    LC-BL Bobby Layne Lions 4
    LC-BN Bronko Nagurski Bears 75
    LC-BU Buck Buchanon Chiefs 8
    LC-BW Bob Waterfield Rams 12
    LC-CN Jack Christiansen Lions 3
    LC-DF Dan Fortmann Bears 30
    LC-JU Johnny Unitas Colts 29
    LC-KS Ken Strong Giants 120
    LC-LF Len Ford Browns 4
    LC-LG Lou Groza Browns 20
    LC-LL Link Lyman Bears 11
    LC-MM Mike Michalske Packers 7
    LC-MO Marion Motley Browns 12
    LC-PW Pop Warner NFL 1
    LC-RB Morris Red Badgro Giants 57
    LC-RF Ray Flaherty Redskins 25
    LC-RG Red Grange Bears 9
    LC-RN Ray Nitschke Packers 115
    LC-SL Sid Luckman Bears 22
    LC-SO Steve Owen Giants 5
    LC-TE Turk Edwards Redskins 12
    LC-TF Tom Fears Rams 9
    LC-TL Tom Landry Cowboys 20
    LC-VB Norm Van Brocklin Rams 3
    LC-VL Vince Lombardi Packers 240
    LC-WP Walter Payton Bears 65
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Yikes, I'm going to have to dust off my slide rule! Only one Pop Warner - I bought a set of hand written letters from Pop Warner to Rabbit Bradshaw a while back and they weren't that expensive - and I've seen a couple of his books with his autograph go on eBay - when he signs his full name it's kind of long for a card. 240 Lombardis is a surprise - thanks, this is great information.
  • Options
    No problem at all, I have some prices on some of the guys in the set, but anyone numbered less than 25 makes it pretty tough to track. All of the Lombardi's that I have seen are from Packer's payroll checks. I have some scans saved if you are interested in seeing anyone else. Sorry, no Pop Warner though! image
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    The 2002 UD Legendary Cuts was a great set, however the cuts were friggin impossible to pull. I bought a 16 box case and didn't get a single cut (then again, my luck busting wax is generally atrocious).

The problem w/ finding cuts from the 2002 UD Legendary Cuts set is that there is a large cult following and you RARELY if ever see any of the short prints. The only autographs that I care about from the set are Turk Edwards, Steve Owens, Vince Lombardi, Arnie Herber, Len Ford and Link Lyman because signed gum cards are impossible if not obtainable for those HOFers. The remaining cuts (e.g. George, Layne, Nagurski, Nitschke, Groza) are easily obtainable in the form of signed gum cards, Swell, Fleer Immortal Role or Touchdown cards which tend to be much cheaper than the cut cards.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
  • Options
    Hello, I just wanted to let anyone that is interested, that may have missed it, know that there is a very nice PSA/DNA authenticated / slabbed cut autograph of Bill Hewitt on Ebay right now and it ends Tuesday night at 10:00 PM Eastern. I bid $ 888.88 on it but am still an underbidder. I just can't go any higher until I sell my Wilt jersey, that is also now on Ebay. Would Love to see a forum member/poster win it. Good Luck.
    Rocke
  • Options
    I saw it the night it was listed. I am going all in for it!
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    If you win the Bill Hewitt make sure you protect yourself from problems. I wanted something else that seller was selling and spent several hours researching that seller and his other ebay names. Ended up deciding it wasn't worth the risk.

The Hewitt is probably good, just make sure you're protected (credit card with paypal, etc)
  • Options
    I noticed he doesn't accept paypal. If I send a personal check, is there any way I am protected? You've got me worried now!
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, didn't mean to worry you -

Here's the ebay User IDs I saved from my search, did some reading at toolhaus.org.

The guy is probably ok and maybe has a short fuse, but it's a lot of $ for a guy who doesn't take paypal.

hall-of-fame-collectibles ( 94 [Feedback score is 50 to 99] ) Not a registered user
    wiz_antiques ( 504 [Feedback score is 500 to 999] ) Not a registered user
    old_estate_items ( 128 [Feedback score is 100 to 499] ) [About Me] Not a registered user
    concrete-charlie ( 235 [Feedback score is 100 to 499] ) Not a registered user
  • Options
    jimq112,

Thank you for all the info. It appears he has other ID's as well. I've seen enough to convince me to save my money for the next Hewitt, even if this seller is ok. There are just too many red flags.

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    any interest in a George B. Young autograph? I have a signed Giants envelope that is really nice. Not looking to give it away but not looking for "book" price as well. Quality Auto's has a 3x5 for about $400. I think my example is just as nice if not nicer with the addition of the Giants logo. I am not however looking for 4 bills. If you are interested, let me know. We can try to make a deal. Will listen to all offers. He is going to get in the HOF sometime soon I would think.

Here is a close-up of the envelope.

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
  • Options
    Hello,

Hey Reese & Jimq112,
    I just got home from work at 10:20PM The very good friend of mine that I have mentioned before,Rod that only needs two autographs to have them all..... He is CantonCollectibles that sold the Hewitt. I would have bet my 231 autographs that whoever WON the Hewitt, would have RECEIVED the Hewitt. I have no idea who the person is that won the auto is..... But I'll bet within 10-14 days you will see a POSITIVE feedback on both ends. I would have let you know sooner had I been home.
    Rocke
  • Options
    Hey Rocke,

Do you know why he has been kicked off ebay so many times? It probably would have been fine, most of his feedback is positive. I just had a bad experience no too long ago and refuse to purchase any high dollar items if I can't use my credit card.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333