Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• Options
    Jim,

That would be great. By the way, I have been searching your want list every week or two while I browse my own searches. Will let you know if I come across anything. There was a Warren Lahr autographed card listed on a BIN on E-bay last time I checked. Take care.

Ken
  • Options
    tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    I saw that. I believe it's fake. I actually have 3 Lahr's and a few more scans I saved and that look nothing like his signature. Not even close. For a guy who died in 1969, his autograph should be fairly consistant. Check my website for the 3 Lahr autographs and then check CJ's .......let me know what you think.

Jim

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw that. I believe it's fake. I actually have 3 Lahr's and a few more scans I saved and that looks nothing like his signature. Not even close. For a guy who died in 1969, his autograph should be fairly consistant. Check my website for the 3 Lahr autographs and then check CJ's .......let me know what you think.

Jim >>

Jim,

The 55 Topps AA Turk Edwards I bought from CJ was just rejected by PSA/DNA image. It makes you wonder sometimes (not to mention the 1966 Philadelphia signed George Preston Marshall that was rejected by PSA/DNA and JSA).

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Greg,

Sorry to hear that about the Turk. Well I am sending in a few that I bought from him for my freebies from my set registry sets. A T Brady, I Fryar, and maybe another one or two. Hopefully they come back legit.

Jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    yeah, cj does get some amazing items but I do question some of them. He actually first put a "buy it now" for the Warren Lahr at $44.00. I told him I didn't think it was good and mentioned he died in '69. No more than 10 minutes later he had it at 144.00. I wouldn't have bought it at $44 let alone $144. It just doesn't match up to other examples.

If Warren Lahr actually signed one of his cards it would be well worth the $144 if not more. There are very very few of them (if any) around. Kind of like a 1/1.

Sometimes we, as long time collectors, get excited when we see something we have been searching high and low for but it's best to step back and do our homework before purchasing it.

• Options
    I consider myself a decent football fan, but not a browns fan. how many people would know who Lahr is outside of cleveland? would there really be that much of a market to fake the sig??
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>I consider myself a decent football fan, but not a browns fan. how many people would know how Lahr is outside of cleveland? would there really be that much of a market to fake the sig?? >>

Jay,

Good point. You also have to be very cognizant of what period in the person's life that he/she signed the autograph. That can make a huge difference as writing changes over time.

Has anyone thought about submtting a quick opinion to PSA/DNA?

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    sometimes it is not people trying to scam someone. It is mostly from people for whatever reason writing the name of the player on the cards. Remember, most of the autographs we are talking about on this thread are ones from 40+ years ago. There was a time when people would actually write the name of the player on the face of football cards. A few that come to mind is from the 1948 Bowman football set. Nobody cared about condition or things like that. Didn't even enter their minds.

With the Lahr, I think someone along the line wrote his name on the front perhaps just trying to mimick a Lahr autograph or for god knows what reason. And now, after many many years, it is such a rare autograph that people think it might be real since there are not many examples of it around. Nothing more than that....

• Options
    Jim,

Looking at your examples and then at the one UKredskins has....I would not have bought it either. In your example, the signature comes down out of the second "r" and then loops back up into the "e"....in his it comes straight across. Also, it would worry me that yours has a break between the "L" and "a" and the one on E-bay does not.

It's not an absolute of course, but typically when a signer picks up the pen like that in their signature they do that consistently throughout their lifetime.

Ken

Greg - It say's in his auction text that he guarantees authenticity. Any problems returning the two items that failed PSA/DNA? I wonder because I have bought numerous things from this seller that I have not sent in for authentication yet. Thanks.
  • Options
    Hey guys,

I have a Turk that I bought from an auction house (can't remember which at the moment, will check the cert), let me scan it and that will give you one more exemplar for future comparisons.

Ken

Turk Edwards
  • Options
    picked up a mac speedie 3x5 that has also been signed by Dante Lavelli

• Options
    Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Nice Speedie Jim!
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Options
    Jim,

that is the nicest Speedie auto that I've seen. How much did you pay for it? Also, did you have a Goldberg auto'd photo on E-Bay recently?

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    I just picked these beauties up recently...what does everyone think:

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    More cards for sale:

$8 each - 1957 Topps signed Don Stonesifer, Dorne Dibble, Ted Marchibroda, Gordy Soltau, Alex Webster and Lindon Crow
    $3 each - 1957 Topps unsigned Paul Miller, Dave Middleton and Ken Konz (also have a 1959 Topps Buzz Nutter for $2)
    $25 each - Darrell Green, Bill Howton, Chris Berman, Hugh McElhenny, Dan Rooney (signed twice)
    $15 each (3 for $40) Johnny Robinson, Bruce Matthews, Bruce Smith, John Randle, Ron Wolf x 2, Bob Harlan, Joe Delamielleure, Aeneas Williams (a little faded), Tommy Nobis, Raymond Berry, Stan Jones, Mick Tingelhoff, Dermontti Dawson, Jim Bakken, Morton Anderson
    $10 each - Chris Hanburger x 2 (a little smudged), Richard Dent x 2

Let me know.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Awesome cards Greg! You know I love that Stagg!!!
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    thanks greg,

i got the speedie from an old-time collector. I thought about keeping it but I have someone who wants it for $200. Probably going to sell it to him.

• Options
    revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭
    The Stagg is great - here's another for comparison, from a 1916 letter

• Options
    Greg,

Didn't see the part about the Goldberg photo. I did have one around HOF induction time. Are you looking for one?

• Options
    Ok - here is the Turk Edwards that was rejected by PSA. What do you guys think?

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    I've been holding my Edwards up to the monitor for the last 5 minutes and really don't see anything that stands out. The most notable thing I can come up with is the "E" on the Edwards. They look very different to me. Besides that, the spacing between the "T" and "u" is more prominent on yours. The "a" in Edwards is closed where mine is open. The "s" in Edwards is open on yours and closed on mine. All this seems minor to me though, maybe they were just being overly cautious? Are you going to try again?
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I was just told about a '64 Philly Packers Play card signed by Vince Lombardi. However, it's not likely to come up for sale anytime soon - apparently it's personalized to George Allen Jr. with an inscription referencing his father and rests in Mr. Allen's personal collection, which is museum-quality.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options

<< <i>I was just told about a '64 Philly Packers Play card signed by Vince Lombardi. However, it's not likely to come up for sale anytime soon - apparently it's personalized to George Allen Jr. with an inscription referencing his father and rests in Mr. Allen's personal collection, which is museum-quality.

Nick >>

Nick,

That would be absolutely amazing. I've never seen a Lombardi signed gum card before...

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Allen has, from the sound of it, a truly amazing collection, including at least 100 game jerseys, game used footballs signed by whole teams, and personalized autographs (many of them on pictures of himself with the player) from just about everyone important in the NFL from the 1950s on. The guy who told me (a staffer for another elected official) is a football fan but not a collector - he took notice of the Lombardi card because of the inscription - something like "George, It worked against your dad too. Vince Lombardi".

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    well why would that be shocking that he would have a great collection with many photos with the people. look who his father was. do forget that vince went to work for the redskins for two years after leaving the packers.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Here is what I did with the Mac Speedie 3x5. Took some liberties with the HOF name plate. Also, I can't seem to take a picture of a framed item without the glare....I need a 'how to take a picture 101'!

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is what I did with the Mac Speedie 3x5. Took some liberties with the HOF name plate. Also, I can't seem to take a picture of a framed item without the glare....I need a 'how to take a picture 101'!

>>

turn off the flash and use lots of ambient light
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    Jim,

The Speedie looks great framed! Very nice looking item.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Thanks. It would probably look better with Clev. Browns colors but the matt is all I had at the time.

• Options
    Hey Jim

I was wondering if you won the 1948 Autograph book of The Cleveland Browns. I see it ended at 266.00. Hope you got it.

Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Options
    no, I did not bid. I wanted to see the other autographs and they never replied to my emails. I also heard a few things about them and just figured I would back off. I am glad I did.

Sadly I have had an issue come up and need to make some quick cash. I need to find about 1k and am going to sell some of my stuff. I am posting this here because I have dealt with most of you on some level and know you are interested in some of the same things I am.

Here is what I am proposing to those who want to get some stuff I have....

If you go to my web site (at the bottom my post) and see something you like, send me a PM with an offer. I have many other items that are listed that you can look over if other sports interest you. There are a few things I don't want to sell and they are mainly on the first page. All other pages are up for grabs.

Here is that list: My list

I have many many pictures of my stuff and can send you a pic of anything you don't see.....

I would only ask that you be:

1. fair (we basically all know the prices of things) I will however slant the deal in your favor.
    2. make it at least a $100 purchase. I ask this because it just makes it easier to send things in groups than sell many items one at a time.
    3. If you like (1) or more items, offer a price. The worst I can say is no , right!

Shipping depends on # of items but no matter the amount it will not go over $5

If you need other information, just ask.

Jim

• Options
    Jim,

PM sent.

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Jim,

PM sent here, also. Thanks.

Ken
  • Options
    revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭
    What is the opinion on the Mara? The time frame appears to be right - early 1940s judging by the other signers

Giants HOF Autograph sheet
  • Options
    That looks like an amazing item. All seem good at first glance

Jim

• Options

<< <i>What is the opinion on the Mara? The time frame appears to be right - early 1940s judging by the other signers

Giants HOF Autograph sheet >>

Anyone have an idea on what that would sell for? I need a Mara, but probably can't afford it!
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Hello,
    concerning the Mara, I am still the high bidder, and will put another bid in before it ends. But I was with my buddy today that only needs two, and I know he is going to come in BIG on Monday. I am with you Reese, I REALLY want a Mara, but unless I would hit the Lottery, ( Which I don't even play ) the chances of me ever owning one are VERY slim. I am going to guess that it will end at around $5,500.00
    Anyone else want to guess a price with me?
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Options
    Well the final bid is in at 3,055.44. Rocke, is your friend's ebay id the_equipment_manager?
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>Well the final bid is in at 3,055.44. Rocke, is your friend's ebay id the_equipment_manager? >>

I Honestly don't know. One of his Ebay names, as you know when it was discussd when he sold a Bill Hewitt a few weeks ago, is Canton_Collectibles. But if the_equipment_manager is another of his names, I didn't know it. I was with Rod for a couple of hours on Sunday at a local, monthly autograph/card show in which Jack Ham was the autograph signer. I know he said he was going to bid on it. Does anyone out there know any of the other bidders? I am sure that the person that bid $2103. is Les Woolf. I didn't recognize ANY of the other top 4 bidders. I came in a pathetic 6th place. I have GOT TO SELL THAT JERSEY !!!!!!!!! I tried to call Rod on the phone, but got his voicemail. I will let you know if he did/didn't get it. If he did, he would be down to the next-to-impossible Hugh "Shorty" Ray.
  • Options
    By the way..... Is any one besides me surprised that it "only" went for $3,055. ?
  • Options

<< <i>By the way..... Is any one besides me surprised that it "only" went for $3,055. ? >>

I'm surprised that Mara is that expensive. Is his autograph really "that" rare?

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    I thought it would end around $2500. This is the first one I've seen come up for sale, but I know there are at least a couple Mara signatures floating around.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Jay,

Why did your set drop 8 percentage points? What cards did you remove?

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>I've been holding my Edwards up to the monitor for the last 5 minutes and really don't see anything that stands out. The most notable thing I can come up with is the "E" on the Edwards. They look very different to me. Besides that, the spacing between the "T" and "u" is more prominent on yours. The "a" in Edwards is closed where mine is open. The "s" in Edwards is open on yours and closed on mine. All this seems minor to me though, maybe they were just being overly cautious? Are you going to try again? >>

Reese.

Thanks for checking. I really think the auto is good and that PSA was being too cautious. I'll probably submit again at the National. More money down the drain...

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Greg,

Didn't see the part about the Goldberg photo. I did have one around HOF induction time. Are you looking for one? >>

Not really...I just really liked the one that was on E-Bay recently...and I thought it was yours.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Hello

I don't, as of yet know the whole story, Rod called me tonight when I was at work. All he said on my phone machine is that he is driving down to North Carolina because he has an autograph to pick up. He also said "I'm down to one" so I guess that "the_equipment_manager" is another of his multitude of Ebay names. He said that he would be back home this weekend.
    Reese, selling a Goldberg? Are you giving up on him getting in? I feel verrrrrry sure that he will be nominated a 3rd time. Hope you don't take to much of a bath. I bought 2 beutiful 3x5's at a total cost of almost 400.00. I have them in the bathroom in case I ever run out of toilet paper. LOL Oh well......

Rocke
  • Options

<< <i>Hello

I don't, as of yet know the whole story, Rod called me tonight when I was at work. All he said on my phone machine is that he is driving down to North Carolina because he has an autograph to pick up. He also said "I'm down to one" so I guess that "the_equipment_manager" is another of his multitude of Ebay names. He said that he would be back home this weekend.
    Reese, selling a Goldberg? Are you giving up on him getting in? I feel verrrrrry sure that he will be nominated a 3rd time. Hope you don't take to much of a bath. I bought 2 beutiful 3x5's at a total cost of almost 400.00. I have them in the bathroom in case I ever run out of toilet paper. LOL Oh well......

Rocke >>

Rocke,

Is it true there are 10 to 12 known autographs of Hugh "Shorty" Ray? I've heard a figure of 12 before but have no idea where it came from. How much does his autograph typically run?

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Hello

Rocke >>

Hey Rocke,

I have a 1955 Topps All American card signed by Goldberg coming in the mail. I figured I probably didn't need two. I need to free up some cash anyway to make another purchase image

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Hey Greg,
    I talked to Rich Albersheim at The National in Cleveland last August about football Hall of Fame autographs in general, and Hugh Ray in particular. He said that there are only 2 that he KNOWS of and he said that he had "heard" that there is a third one "out there somewhere" I also read an interview with James Spence a while ago. He said that as far as autographs go , irregardless of what sport it is , that Hugh Ray is " The HOLY Grail" of sports autographs. I also know Joe Horrigan at The Football Hall of Fame. I went to see him a few weeks ago concerning the autographed Dan Reeves picture that I won on Ebay a few months ago. I took it to a show in Cleveland a few weeks ago, to have it authenticated by James Spence. It DID pass authentication. The cool thing was, that Jim told me that this was only the 2nd autographed picture of Dan Reeves that he had EVER seen, and He (Jim Spence) owns the other one. Anyway, in the picture, Dan Reeves is on the left, and Pete Rozelle is on the right. Based on what looks to be their ages at the time, Joe guessed that the picture was taken in the early-to-mid 1960's. But there is a 3rd man in the picture and I was hoping Joe H. could tell me who it was. He took a photocopy of my picture and he said he would check into it. He said it MIGHT be a guy named Frank Levy ( I don't know how to spell the last name. I just spelled it this way, because when he pronounced it, it sounded loke Marv LEVY ) I had never heard of him before. Joe said that he worked in the L.A. Rams front office in the early ' 60's. I got to sit in his office for a HALF HOUR. It was so cool talking football, autographs etc. with him for that long in his office. I am positive that I will be talking to him again soon. I want to ask him if The Hall has a Ray autograph. He did tell me that the Hall has lost contact with the Ray family. Hugh had, I believe 4 children. His son Hugh Ray Jr. accepted for him in 1966 , when he was inducted. Hugh Ray Jr. died in 1986. If they have one, it is in the archives in the basement at The Hall. I know that they do NOT have one on display in The Hall. You can get down to the archives, but you MUST make an appointment ahead of time. It is on my " TO DO " list when I get around to it. Thats about all I know.
    Rocke
  • Options
    PS
    I was also told by Rich A. that he had heard that PSA/DNA had paid " something like $10,000.00" for the one that they have. That was quite a few years ago. I have to believe it would go for quite a bit more than that now, if another authentic one surfaced. But then again, I did guess that a certain 1941 New York Giant team sheet with 6 autographs on it would go for about 2,500.00 more than it did go for, so....... what do I know?
    Rocke