Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭

<< <i>Reese,

What was the price?

Jay >>

Jay,

The price was $482, although my final bid was much higher. This was the first one I've seen come out of the Donruss Classics, but there are 8 others out there somewhere.

Auction
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!

<< <i>Reese,

Congrats on the Neale...another one down!! I would like to announce that I am the proud papa of a Henry Jordan autographed Philly card....see below. It looks good based on the exemplars that I have, however I'm interested to see whether it passes PSA/DNA.

Henry Jordan

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Congrats on the Henry Jordan Greg!!! I'm glad you were able to get it.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    I had some poppage today. The reason I am posting these is because everything here was purchased from CJ (Ukredskins). I know there has been some talk about him before here. I've contacted him about the Goldberg, and I am sure he will take care of it. Overall, I am very happy.

Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type Country
    1 1 15472188 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1955 TOPPS 21 WHIZZER WHITE CORRECT BIO-PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US
    2 1 15472189 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1955 TOPPS 60 DAN HILL PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US
    3 1 15472190 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1955 TOPPS 98 BEATTIE FEATHERS PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US
    4 1 15472191 VERY GOOD 3 1955 TOPPS 73 PAUL GOVERNALI PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US
    5 1 15472192 EXCELLENT-MINT+ 6.5 1955 TOPPS 4 ERNY PINCKERT PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US
    6 1 15472193 N4: QUESTIONABLE AUTHENTICITY 1955 TOPPS 89 MARSHALL GOLDBERG Card US
    7 1 15472194 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1955 TOPPS 69 FRANK SINKWICH PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US
    8 1 15472195 EXCELLENT 5 1955 TOPPS 30 WES E. FESLER PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US
    9 1 15472196 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1955 TOPPS 79 PUG LUND PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US
    10 1 15472197 VERY GOOD 3 1964 TOPPS 65 DENVER BRONCOS PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Greg,

Way to go on the Henry Jordan!

Todd
  • Reese,

Nice Greasy Neale pickup!

Todd
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Greg,

Congrats on the Jordan. I hope it gets slabbed for you.

Jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Greg,

Jay >>

Thanks Jay. I'm submitting 8 cards at the show:

1955 Topps AA Turk Edwards (again)
    1955 Topps AA Alonzo Stagg
    1955 Topps AA Dan Hill
    1955 Topps AA Ed Franco
    1957 Topps Gene Brito
    1961 Fleer Alan Ameche
    1961 Fleer Gene Lipscomb
    Henry Jordan

I'm a little nervous - I hope that I fare as well as Reese did.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

<< <i>Greg,

Jay >>

Jay,

Are you going to the National? I'll be there on Sat.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    greg,

i am going but will be there friday. good luck with your subs. i hope i stumble upon a neale soon on ebay.

jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    I just got back from the National today and picked up a few upgrades for my set. Overall, I didn't find anything I needed, but it was fun to get out and see what everyone had. BTW, if anyone still needs an autographed Jim Finks card, Phil Marks had a nice one for $300.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    You guys might appreciate this one. I picked it up on Thursday at the Nationals.

I learned some interesting info about his auto too.
    congrats on that auto. please tell us more about what you learned.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    Josh,

That's actually not a bad auto from the 97 Leaf set. It's one of the more legible ones that I've seen. Did you buy anything else at the show HOF auto related?

Greg M.

References:
    greg,

any pick ups for you at the national. i found an at-water and a replacement slater. didnt have much time to look though. the guys i got the two from had a bunch of auto's football cards. saw more auto'd baseball than football.

the lucheon was good. but many of the questions of joe were lame. one guy wanted to know what it was so hard to get a .5 bump on his ones and twos?? joe then explained at length about the value of eye appeal. my response is if its a 1 then there is no eye appeal anyway. i wanted to ask how they can grade on a .5 scale yet i crack out 5's and they come back 9's. i also wanted to ask why the spec department is so bad at getting flips correct for player sets. but oh well.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    That's right, Rocke I was talking about the Luckman. Great to see you this weekend at the HOF. Joe

<< <i>congrats on that auto. please tell us more about what you learned. >>

I got a lot of info from Scott (otwcards) at the show. Apparently, the authenticator at PSA has 3 exemplars of Luckman autos. This card is one of them. I guess the majority of the stuff you see out there, including a number of the cuts, are actually secretarial sigs. Primarily, the check cuts were signed by his wife as he was getting ill. From the sounds of it, PSA slabbed a number of these early on before learning that his wife was signing them which is why the "S" in Sid is so much different and why so many people compare a secretarial signed Luckman to a slabbed Luckman and think it looks the same. Chances are, they were both signed by his wife but one made it into a PSA holder prior to the info. Another tidbit was that many people focus on the "L" but that changed a bit over time, the big key is the "S" as his wife signed it one way and he signed it another, as seen on this card.

Interesting info, if you hit up Scott he can probably give you even more info if he has time.

Greg - I picked up a few raw HOF rc's that I thought would 7/8. Other than that, most of the stuff I felt was overpriced, overgraded junk quite honestly. I saw cards that were priced at PSA 8/9 prices for raw, I saw a number of unauthenticated items with prices indicitive of authenticated, even UDA type prices. $1800 for an IP Tiger signed flag? $799 for an IP Ted Williams ball? Ugh. Needless to say, I didn't add Koufax, DiMaggio and Williams to my sweet spot collection and I didn't get a Tiger flag for my office.

-Josh
    So the Luckman Leaf Reprints are legit right?

Also, if the checks were signed by his wife, did Donruss make a mistake releasing all of these:

Luckman Playoff National Treasures Cut
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Here are some of my pickups:

Items I got signed at the show:

Bought from Phil Marks:

Bought from Jack Wallin:

I also bought a stack of cards from Ron Gordon that I still have to pay for...lol... Included are a 1959 Ameche, 1957 Leon Hart, 1955 Berwanger, Blanchard & Bertelli, ect... Too bad that I couldn't hook up w/ anyone at the show. Enjoy!

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>So the Luckman Leaf Reprints are legit right?

Also, if the checks were signed by his wife, did Donruss make a mistake releasing all of these:

Luckman Playoff National Treasures Cut >>

Well, I'm not the expert on them but based on all that I've heard (posted above)... I would say yes.

I was told the Leaf Luckman autos are one of just 3 exemplars PSA/DNA uses, so assuming all of them are legit and were in fact signed by Sid, I can certainly see an obvious difference when compared to the cut you linked to.
    Very nice pickups Greg! I noticed a lot more PSA/DNA slabbed IP autos at this show than at other shows.

<< <i>Very nice pickups Greg! I noticed a lot more PSA/DNA slabbed IP autos at this show than at other shows. >>

Thanks Josh. Which HOF cards did you pick up? For the first time, I bought nothing but auto'd cards. I hit the mother load w/ the new dealer that I met...plus I met up w/ Jack Wallin and Phil Marks...and they always have auto'd cards that I'm intersted in.

I thought you were out of the card racket...or were you just picking up cards to get graded and then sell?

Collecting is in your blood...there is no hiding from it image How was the drive out west w/ the little one? Did you take my advice on bringing a bottle of Dimetapp on the trip image

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    I recently got an email from a guy in germany. he said he had a 1938 Washington Redskins team signed album page (2 sheets). He is thinking of selling. What would be a good price to offer? Any ideas? Here is the scan he sent me.... He also stated the book has 100 other autographs of non-sport personalities. Should I ask him to cut the 2 sheets out or just give a price for the whole book? I am waiting on other scans from him that I requested. Will post if they come in.

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731

<< <i>

<< <i>Very nice pickups Greg! I noticed a lot more PSA/DNA slabbed IP autos at this show than at other shows. >>

Thanks Josh. Which HOF cards did you pick up? For the first time, I bought nothing but auto'd cards. I hit the mother load w/ the new dealer that I met...plus I met up w/ Jack Wallin and Phil Marks...and they always have auto'd cards that I'm intersted in.

I thought you were out of the card racket...or were you just picking up cards to get graded and then sell?

Collecting is in your blood...there is no hiding from it image How was the drive out west w/ the little one? Did you take my advice on bringing a bottle of Dimetapp on the trip image

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Actually, I picked them up to grade and sell. I'm such a sellout. lol
    You are right though, I can't get away from it, I have to have something in my collection all the time. image
    I picked up rookies of Adderly, Davis, Atkins, Jordan, Eller, Krause and some other nice Phillys that I liked. Probably 20 in total.
    Josh,

I'd be interested in the Atkins...let me know if you're interested in selling....

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    well thought i had a shot at a neale cut auto card on ebay. put in a nice bid with a follow up in mind. only to have the seller pull the auction. wonder if anyone here ended up buying it?? image
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's

<< <i>well thought i had a shot at a neale cut auto card on ebay. put in a nice bid with a follow up in mind. only to have the seller pull the auction. wonder if anyone here ended up buying it?? image >>

Jay,

Sorry to hear that - I didn't even see the card for sale. As Reese and I already have signed Greasy Neale cards, the likely culprit is Frank image j/k. What do you think of the Favre debacle. Have you already bought your Favre Jets jersey? What was he thinking...

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    greg,

well i wish him the best only because it will help the packers out draft pick wise. unfortunately he has turned out in my mind to be another spoiled athlete. finally someone said that its not him calling the shots up there. which he didnt like. i also think he got a lot of bad advise.

he could be in for a rude awakening in NY if his ints are higher than last year.

jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    Jay,

I saw the other Neale auction and figured it was you that had the seller end it. Frank has a Neale so I doubt it was him.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Sorry to hear that - I didn't even see the card for sale. As Reese and I already have signed Greasy Neale cards, the likely culprit is Frank j/k. What do you think of the Favre debacle. Have you already bought your Favre Jets jersey? What was he thinking...

I'm innocent I tell ya!!image
    I didn' see the Neale cut auto, but Reese is right. Once I get a card, unless it's an upgrade, I'll rarely get another.

Jets fans are going crazy in NY. My brother just got his season tix and is psyched. Favre will definitely help the team and the Jets will be better this year. I'm a Giants fan, so I'm still basking in Super Bowl glory, but the Jets will make the AFC East interesting this year
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭
    Returning to the Sid Luckman autograph question - here is one from a team signed page by the 1937 Columbia University team -

• tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    That is nice. It reinforces the fact that he signed his name many different ways.

here are the 2 other sheets from the 1938 Washington Redskins autograph book.

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
  • Just updated my HOF auto set. Added L. Creekmur, S. Jurgensen, D. Lavelli and B. Willis. I also have B. Grant, L. Kelly, S. Gillman and F. Gatski upgrades to add. Just waiting on V2 to work and recognize themimage
    here is a link to my update dset with scans:
    Fabfranks HOF Auto set

If anyone can help fill some holes or has upgrades, PLMK.image
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Hello All,
    Don't know if anyone is interested in any of these or not, but my friend Rod just listed a large amount of extra HoF auto's that he has. Many of them are 3x5's but he also listed quite a few of the 1974 FLEER Immortal Roll cards. I am sure that everyone has most/all of what he listed, but thought someone might be able to upgrade an autograph or two. His Ebay name is canton_collectibles.
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.

<< <i>Just updated my HOF auto set. Added L. Creekmur, S. Jurgensen, D. Lavelli and B. Willis. I also have B. Grant, L. Kelly, S. Gillman and F. Gatski upgrades to add. Just waiting on V2 to work and recognize themimage
    here is a link to my update dset with scans:
    Fabfranks HOF Auto set

If anyone can help fill some holes or has upgrades, PLMK.image >>

Frank,

Congrats - great set my friend. I might be able to help you w/ a fewimage

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    wow everyone must be on vaction here....its been pretty quiet. i picked up a bob hayes auto'd card the other day on the outside chance he is one of the sr candidates.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
    Finally had some poppage-

Total Items: 10
    Date Received: 6/2/2008
    Date Shipped: 8/21/2008
    Order Status: OK

1 15394556 GEM MINT 10 2005 UPPER DECK LEGENDS LEGENDARY SIGNATURES LS-DD DAN DIERDORF LEGENDARY SIGNATURES Card US
    2 1 15394557 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2005 UPPER DECK LEGENDS LEGENDARY SIGNATURES LS-OM OLLIE MATSON LEGENDARY SIGNATURES Card US- Not sure what I missed on this
    3 1 15394558 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2005 UPPER DECK LEGENDS LEGENDARY SIGNATURES LS-TM TOM MACK LEGENDARY SIGNATURES Card US-Same as above
    4 1 15394559 GEM MINT 10 2004 UPPER DECK LEGENDS LEGENDARY SIGNATURES LS-CE CARL ELLER LEGENDARY SIGNATURES Card US
    5 1 15394560 MINT 9 2004 UPPER DECK LEGENDS LEGENDARY SIGNATURES LS-DA DOUG ATKINS LEGENDARY SIGNATURES Card US
    6 1 15394561 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2004 TOPPS ALL TIME FAN FAVORITES AUTOGRAPHS BJ BILLY JOHNSON Card US
    7 1 15394562 GEM MINT 10 2003 SP AUTHENTIC SIGN OF THE TIMES TB TIM BROWN Card US
    8 1 15394563 GEM MINT 10 2003 SP AUTHENTIC SIGN OF THE TIMES TA TROY AIKMAN Card US
    9 1 15394564 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 TOPPS HALL OF FAME AUTOGRAPH ML MARV LEVY HALL OF FAME AUTOGRAPHS Card US- Was a BGS 9
    10 1 15394565 GEM MINT 10 1998 BOWMAN'S BEST CERTIFIED AUTOGRAPH 3A COREY DILLON AUTOGRAPHS Card US- Was a BGS 9.5
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Jim,

That is an amazing Turk Edwards autograph..what an amazing find that is.

Greg M.

References:
    Ok - I finally received my order from Ron Gordon... I now have 98 signed cards for my 1957 Topps set, 19 signed cards for my 1955 Topps AA set and around 60 signed cards for my 1959 Topps set.

Rgs,

Greg M.

Greg M.

References:
    Here is my up and coming Chuck Bednarik collection. What a great guy - check out his response to my last letter.

Rgs,

Greg M.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    Here is a funny letter from Joe Del.

Greg M.

References:
    My last post - check out the response I received from Pete Dawkins. I sent an auto request last fall and just received the following back 2/3 weeks ago. What a great guy!

Greg M.

References:
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Greg:

Great stuff!!!

Bednarik is a real pisser sometimes. I've added quite a few items to my collection from him and recently asked if it would be alright to send him the '48 Leaf RC to sign as I'm working on the autos of the HOF RC's in that set. As usual, the return was almost immediate (5 days door-to-door), but I was surprised by his "new" HOF induction year...

Interestingly, I asked both Bednarik and McAfee to sign in ballpoint pen rather than Sharpie. Bednarik did, but added the wrong year and McAfee still signed in Sharpie. Oh well. Deliberating whether to buy another Leaf RC of each and trying again.

<< <i>Finally had some poppage-

Total Items: 10
    Date Received: 6/2/2008
    Date Shipped: 8/21/2008
    Order Status: OK

1 15394556 GEM MINT 10 2005 UPPER DECK LEGENDS LEGENDARY SIGNATURES LS-DD DAN DIERDORF LEGENDARY SIGNATURES Card US
    2 1 15394557 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2005 UPPER DECK LEGENDS LEGENDARY SIGNATURES LS-OM OLLIE MATSON LEGENDARY SIGNATURES Card US- Not sure what I missed on this
    3 1 15394558 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2005 UPPER DECK LEGENDS LEGENDARY SIGNATURES LS-TM TOM MACK LEGENDARY SIGNATURES Card US-Same as above
    4 1 15394559 GEM MINT 10 2004 UPPER DECK LEGENDS LEGENDARY SIGNATURES LS-CE CARL ELLER LEGENDARY SIGNATURES Card US
    5 1 15394560 MINT 9 2004 UPPER DECK LEGENDS LEGENDARY SIGNATURES LS-DA DOUG ATKINS LEGENDARY SIGNATURES Card US
    6 1 15394561 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2004 TOPPS ALL TIME FAN FAVORITES AUTOGRAPHS BJ BILLY JOHNSON Card US
    7 1 15394562 GEM MINT 10 2003 SP AUTHENTIC SIGN OF THE TIMES TB TIM BROWN Card US
    8 1 15394563 GEM MINT 10 2003 SP AUTHENTIC SIGN OF THE TIMES TA TROY AIKMAN Card US
    9 1 15394564 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 TOPPS HALL OF FAME AUTOGRAPH ML MARV LEVY HALL OF FAME AUTOGRAPHS Card US- Was a BGS 9
    10 1 15394565 GEM MINT 10 1998 BOWMAN'S BEST CERTIFIED AUTOGRAPH 3A COREY DILLON AUTOGRAPHS Card US- Was a BGS 9.5 >>

Reese,

Nice grades...at least the wait was worth the reward.

Greg M.

References:
  • Concerning Chuck Bednarik

Jane Bosley does a local card show/autograph show here in Canton every month. Her website is www.landofboz.com For about the last year or so, I have had the thrill of taking her autograph guest out to eat and then drive them to either the Akron/Canton airport or the Cleveland airport. This coming Sunday she is having Chuck. I have got his autograph many times in person, in the past....... but I am VERY excited to get to take him out to eat and then to Akron/Canton this Sunday.

Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭
    Reading the forum has put me on the look-out for a number of autographs that I might have otherwise overlooked. I recently found a letter for sale in a bookstore signed by Walter Camp – and since it wasn’t a sports memorabilia dealer, the price was about a third lower than anything I’d seen. Here the autograph with a link to the whole letter. Now you’ve got me looking for Hugh Shorty Ray –

Link to complete letter

<< <i>Concerning Chuck Bednarik

Jane Bosley does a local card show/autograph show here in Canton every month. Her website is www.landofboz.com For about the last year or so, I have had the thrill of taking her autograph guest out to eat and then drive them to either the Akron/Canton airport or the Cleveland airport. This coming Sunday she is having Chuck. I have got his autograph many times in person, in the past....... but I am VERY excited to get to take him out to eat and then to Akron/Canton this Sunday.

Rocke >>

Rocke,

How was your visit w/ Chuck Bednairk? I'd love to hear about it.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>Greg:

Great stuff!!!

Bednarik is a real pisser sometimes. I've added quite a few items to my collection from him and recently asked if it would be alright to send him the '48 Leaf RC to sign as I'm working on the autos of the HOF RC's in that set. As usual, the return was almost immediate (5 days door-to-door), but I was surprised by his "new" HOF induction year...

Interestingly, I asked both Bednarik and McAfee to sign in ballpoint pen rather than Sharpie. Bednarik did, but added the wrong year and McAfee still signed in Sharpie. Oh well. Deliberating whether to buy another Leaf RC of each and trying again. >>

Otwcards,

That's really strange that Bednarik wrote 69.... It's a real pisser because 48 Leaf Bednarik's aren't easy to come by. I've been looking for one, however they rarely come up for sale and when they do, they're typically very expensive even in low grade.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Hello All,
    Any thoughts on Bob Hayes and Claude Humphrey being the Senior's nominee's? I expect that both will get elected, but I also thought that Marshall Goldberg would get in.... So.... What do I know?
    Rocke
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    My guess is Humphrey is a "YES" and Hayes is a "NO." What pains me is that if Humphrey gets in, that just means that Tommy Nobis has that much longer to wait... And if Hayes gets passed over, it bodes well for Lee Roy Jordan's wait being a little shorter.