Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• Sweet! Looks like I now have something to work on tonight!
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickups greg. i was hoping my favre tickets were going to go live tonight. just some notes on the new auto set. many problems already. my jimmy johnson (already HOFer) was added not jimmy johnson the coach. i have also had other cards that i have in my inventory not come up either. so it will take some scans i guess. it seems that the new software really have fixed much of the headaches but have created more.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Picked up a George Allen on card at Reading today. Didn't have much of a clue about what price I should pay, so I may have dropped too much on it, but WTH. It's in black marker on a 1973 Topps NFC Championship Game card inscribed, "Best Wishes, George Allen." I'll be sending it off to PSA/DNA in the very near future.

If anyone wants to shoot me a PM on approximate value, you may make my day or want me to shoot the pooch. Thanks.
    Thanks for the PM's guys. It looks like the pooch is safe assuming that it passes PSA/DNA and that really isn't where my concern was. I just don't know the market well enough, but figured I'd take a shot.
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I paid around $250 for my Allen....although the signature is around a "5" quality due to the crappy marker. How much did you pay?

Greg M>
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

<< <i>I paid around $250 for my Allen....although the signature is around a "5" quality due to the crappy marker. How much did you pay?

Greg M> >>

I got it for $80 after some negotiating about 40% off and talking about some of the other cards he had (and I can return it if it doesn't pass PSA/DNA). The signature is not very strong (looks like an old Flair type marker). The only bad cards he had were a few secretarial/spousal Luckman Immortals, but everyone has those it seems.

Also grabbed a few Claude Humphrey 8x10's and a 1971T on card auto from another prominant dealer (guaranteed as well). I'm figuring that I did VERY WELL on those. 3 Falcons signed 8x10s and the '71T on card in ballpoint for $50. I recall the last (only?) signing for Humphrey being in 2005 and he charged $20 per for flats. I don't know of anyone having success TTM and can only imagine that there will be silly demand and no supply if he gets in on this ballot. I also figure he'll hit the circuit shortly thereafter, so the window may be limited.
  • tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    I actually got a reply from Humphrey a few years ago. I'd have to check my records as to the exact date. He signed some 3x5's. He is not impossible TTM, or at least he wasn't impossible. Not sure of how he is lately. $ talks...try w/ a $10 and see what happens?

jim

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
  • Hey Reese,
    I'm pretty sure that I know who your latest pick-up is. Congratulations. It's a very nice example. If my 20th wedding anniv. wasn't in 3 weeks, I would have bought it before he put it out there.
    I should see Rod on Sunday at Jane's show.
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Hey Rocke,

Well I might as well go ahead and post it. My new addition:

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Wow!. Very nice Reese. Congrats. Now give us some detailsimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
    I picked it up from Canton Collectibles (Rocke's friend) for $1,000. I should have it in hand by Tuesday. I missed the last two Hewitt auctions so I was really happy to be able to pick this one up. With the Hewitt, I am down to needing 7 more signatures- Bidwell, Carr, Henry, Kiesling, Lambeau, Mara, and Ray.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Hey Reese,
    SUPER Nice pick-up!!!! I was pretty certain that you had bought the Hewitt, but I am very surprised that he let it go for that price. I am glad that you got it. As good as I know Rod, I swear I DON'T know where he comes up with all this stuff. That is the 2nd Hewitt that he has sold in the last 6 months.
    I will see him later today, ( Sunday ) at Jane's show. I get to take Fred Dean out to eat after the autograph session is over at 3:00 and then take him to the airport. Should be fun. This is my 7th time to do this. She has William " The Refridgerator " Perry lined up for October.
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
    Thanks Rocke! Have fun with Fred Dean. Let us know how it goes.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    The Thorpe ended for $5100 to a bidder with 1 positive feedback.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Sorry to post about non-PSA non-HOF autographs, but this is the only active discussion I've found on the web - here's two I've picked up, the first two coaches of the NY Giants

In 1927 the coach was Earl Potteiger, which I don't have and would like to find. Anyone seen him?
  • Hello All,
    Had a Great time with Fred. Took him to the local AppleBee's. Too bad there isn't 300 million people like Fred in this country. That would be HEAVEN on earth. He told me he just spent 8 years going to school. Got his Master's degree in Theology. He is now a Baptist minister. Said that what he wants to do now in life is "Spread the WORD" ( of JESUS ) .To listen to this guy talk, if you didn't know who he was, or what he did 25-35 years ago.... you would NEVER believe that he was a tough as nails defensive star in the NFL.
    He said he lives in Louisiana, up in the NorthWest corner, near Texas. Wasn't personally affected by Katrina. I asked him about waiting so long to get in the Hall..... He said he never expected to get in.....never thought about it. He said his parents taught him to never get your hopes up to high for things, that way if something good that you wanted DOESN'T happen you will never be disappointed in life. I asked him my standard question about," is there someone that you played with or against , that is NOT in the Hall that you think should be." He told me that he didn't feel that he was qualified to answer that, since he just got in himself. Such a nice, thoughtful man. The world could use a lot more of people like him. Told him that we had already met, My son Ben and I went down to Chantilly, Va. and saw him both in March 2008, and July 2008. I got his picture with Ben at both shows. He told us that he thought Ben looked familiar. We did talk to him for a couple of minutes in July.
    All in all, just a GREAT time with a GREAT MAN.
    Rocke
    very nice Mike! You always find the tough ones!

Rocke, sounds like you had a great time. Those are memories you will cherish forever. I will have to make a point to get to the HOF in the next year. The last time I was there I was 6! Since I have just turned 40....yeah, it has been a while

FYI, the Microsoft Cashback program is back up to 30% off any Buy it Now on ebay. I used it a while back on a Unitas auto and the refund went through without any problems.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    How do you access e-bay through live search? I've tried and can't figure it out.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    I followed the instructions in this thread, and didn't have any problem. If it you can't get it to work let me know and I will try and help.

Link
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    It took a long time, but I have added scans to my set. Please check them out

HOF Auto Set

I also started a Showcase for my collection created by Knuckles.

Custom Cuts Collection
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Got some new pickups in!
    Great cards! That Dick Lane looks perfect.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    I showed this to Frank, but what do you guys think of this? Has anyone seen this card before?

Sid Luckman 1997 Legends Auto
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    I spoke with a collector/dealer about a month ago who mentioned that he had one of these that he had Luckman sign when they were released. I asked if he could forward a scan, but have yet to see it. I'm not sure if this is the same card or not, but I was told that the card was an in=person signature. This example is similar (although there are some curious differences) to the Luckman signatures that I have seen that were made shortly before his passing. At least it's not a secretarial or spousal signature that most offer as legitimate TTM Luckman autographs.
  • Here are some curious points to the card.
    #1 Exchange cards from 97 Legends had the exchange sticker on the front of the card, but they also had a hole punched into the card (For an example check out this auction on Ebay
    Randy White Exchange card
    #2 The exchange card had the "Authenticity" statement on the back of the card.
    #3 When you received your autograph card from Upper Deck it would be a clean card with the auto and the "Authenticity" on the back. Obviuosly, the card would not have the hole punch.
    #4 This card has the autograph, the "Authenticity" on back, and no hole punch.
    #5 Upper Deck has confirmed that the cards were sent to Luckman, but never returned.
    My opinion is the card looks legit. Maybe the autograph is too, but the autograph is so bad and doesn't come close to any legit or secretarial examples. There's no reference point to even compare the autographs. I can't see how PSA/DNA or any other authenticator could possibly verify that card.
    My opinion, the card is probably
    probably...probably.......stay tuned for next weeks episode of "Is the Luckman Real"....ahhhhhhhhhhh...

Frank, probably what? image

Good info by the way

• Some cut and paste errors. Sorryimage
    Wow - I've never seen the Sid Luckman 1997 UD Legends card...let alone a signed version. That's amazing! With that being said, I agree w/ Frank that the auto would never be authenticated by PSA/DNA due to the poor penmanship.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    It probably wouldnt pass PSA/DNA I agree. But what if someone had a video of Sid signing it? Or photos of Sid holding the card and signing it? Then what would they do?

I am just throwing that out there for discussion. Does anyone know if PSA/DNA takes other forms of verification other than just looking at the sig?? I am sure when they are on site at a show and are giving PSA/DNA's on the sigs that they dont look at them all that carefully as they would if you sent it in.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • I read somewhere that these UD cards were never returned and that Luckman just signed them and passed them out to friends. Also, while on the subject of Luckman, does anyone know if the Goal Line Art Cards Gold Version and Proofs, if these are legit?
  • I read somewhere that these UD cards were never returned and that Luckman just signed them and passed them out to friends

I think you are confusing this story with Mike Webster. At the time the cards were distributed, Mike Webster was in serious financial straits. He never returned his cards and began giving them out to friends or anyone who he owed money too. he was bartering his fame to pay bills and for groceries. Sadly, by the time Webster died he was virtually homeless. It took a few years before even the first Webster 97 legend auto surfaced. I own 2 and have seen about a dozen over the last 10 years.
    Luckman was practically on his death bed inlate 1997. Ironically, his death is shrouded in mystery and I have not been able to find or read a cause of death. According to his Wikipedia, he died on July 5, 1998. It mentions his wife's cause of death (cancer), but not his.
    This autograph card could very well be a "death bed" signature (it certainly looks like it was signed by someone with a weak hand), but for almost $5000, who would take a chance?
  • Hi all,

Does anyone know the time frame the 1997 Leaf Autos were signed?

Todd

<< <i>Hi all,

Todd >>

Todd,

I think the Upper Deck Legends were released in late 1997...if I remember correctly. It may have been the last set issued during 1997...and I seem to recall that it was issued so late that it was almost considered a 1998 set. With that being said, the redemption cards were likely mailed to the players much earlier...so its possible that Luckman could have signed them around the time he signed the 1997 Leaf Reproduction cards.

It's definately possible the Luckman is real...although the autograph is practically illegible. What's funny is that I had never seen a 1997 UD Legends Luckman redemption card before. I had a Billy White Shoes Johnson redemption card (w/ the hole punched in it) but I have never seen any other unreleased redemption cards such as Luckman, Trumpy and Francis to name a few (I'm sure that Frank has the entire list memorized).

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • If my memory is correct, 1997 Legends was released in Nov 97. I had written in another thread that I remember breaking tons of this product. You got 4 autographs per box and boxes started out at $25 per box. This was towards the end of the over production period. Dealers would quickly discount material if it didn't sell well immediately. I remember buying boxes as cheaply as $15-$18 up until Christmas/New Years. Suddenly supplied dried up and the prices rose to $35-$50 per box and I stopped buying.
    I had and submitted all the exchange cards. Upper Deck sent replacements for the ones that weren't signed. I remember getting replacements up till the middle of 1999.
    I believe Upper Deck wanted to get the set out before the season ended, so whatever wasn't signed became a redemption and they would mail them when they got them back from the athlete.
    There was a Luckman Redemption card on Ebay a few months ago. I believe the seller wanted $500+ for the card.
    I didn't collect the Leaf Autos, so I can't give you any accurate info on those.
  • Hello All,
    When I read all of the different posts, above all, there is one topic that makes me think of the one Hall of Famer that I thought that I was going to meet in person, and personally get some autographs from, and in the end, it didn't happen. Living 5 minutes from the Hall, and being the autograph nut that I am, I have attended dozens of autograph sessions at the Hall over the years, plus the dozens of autograph shows that I have went to that were NOT Hall sponsored. I have personally met and got auto's from the following # of Hall of Famers by decade in which they were elected, 1960's = 11 , 1970's = 29 , 1980's = 40 , 1990's=40 , 2000's = 35 for a total of 155 of the 247 in the Hall. When John Bankert took over for the retiring Pete Elliot in 1997, he started a weekly autograph session at the Hall that took place EVERY Saturday in the month of May from 1998 through 2005. The autograph sessions were Titled, " The Best of Yesterday and Today" and featured a present day NFL Star along with an NFL Hall of Famer, usually one that played the same position. I attended almost eveyone of the 36 sessions. You just paid the Price of addmission to the Hall, and you were able to get one autograph from each guy on whatever item that you wanted, 8x10, 3x5, mini helmet, full size helmet, authentic jersey, etc. etc. After you got your autographs, then you could get at the back of the line and go through again. Some sessions, you could get through 4 or 5 times. Anyway, the 4 sessions for May 1998 were Willie Brown and Albert Lewis, Bobby Bell and Levon Kirkland , Charlie Joiner and Andre Reed and Robert Smith , and finally, Sid Luckman and Warren Moon. The Saturday before the Luckman/Moon Saturday, John Bankert made an announcement that Sid was not feeling up to traveling and would be replaced by ( I don't remember !!! ) . I was VERY disappointed , as I had never met Sid, and in fact never remembered even seeing him here for HoF weekend. Then shortly later he died. To this day, I remember John making the announcement that Sid wouldn't be there the next week, and even then I had a feeling that I never would get the chance again to get an autograph from him.
    Rocke

<< <i>Hi all,

Todd >>

I was reading through another thread today and saw this posting by Elsnorto about the 97 Leaf Sid Luckman Auto.

"The Luckman 1997 Leaf Reproductions sig is the only on-card auto from him I believe and they almost never saw the light of day. Reportedly Sid Luckman passed away before returning these to the manufacturer, but they were discovered by his family as they went through his estate."
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Thanks for the responses. The cloud around Sid Luckman is interesting.

Todd
    OK, so we all think that the 97 Leafs are legit, but what about some of the "cuts?"

2002 SP Legendary Cuts- I know PSA will grade these, but what do you think?

2008 Playoff National Treasures- The checks were signed by Luckman's wife right?
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Who knows anymore which Luckman autos are legit? If you take your examples from both UD and Donruss, the PSA exemplars and then these 2 from Leaf and the Gold Seal Goal Line cards from the Hall of Fame, they all look very different to me. Without a consistent exemplar to go by, anybodys guess is as good as mine.
    Here is a thread that I started in regards to the confusion surrounding the authentication of Sid Luckman autographs.

Luckman

Personally, I think the 2002 Legendary Cuts auto is good but I question the authenticity National Treasures auto. Jack Wallin swears the 1975 Fleer and 1977 TD auto'd cards that he owns are good. All were signed from the mid-70's to the early 80's and vehemently disagrees w/ PSA authenticators who continually reject the auto's as being secretarially signed.

What's interesting is that a customer of Jack's recently sent him scans of 3 items that he had signed by Luckman at a card show back in the mid 80's. What funny is that all 3 auto's (signed in succession) were visually different. I'll see if I can find the scans as they go a long way in explaining why there is so much confusion in the hobby of which Luckman auto's are legit.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Looks like the 97 Legends Luckman sold for $4000. Wow.image
  • Hey,

There seem to be a good amount of similarities between the autograph on the cut and the GLA cards. There also seems to be a reasonable number of similarities between the check and the 97 Leaf auto's. If I just had those as exemplars, I would say that each set had been signed by a different person....leaning towards his wife on the checks and Leaf cards.

Ken

<< <i>Looks like the 97 Legends Luckman sold for $4000. Wow.image >>

Frank,

Did you ever seriously think about buying it?

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    I just heard Gene Hickerson died today. RIP
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Hello Everyone,
    I wanted to tell you all ( WARN !!! ) about someone on Ebay. I don't know how to put up a "link" like most of you do, so you will have to look this up yourselves. A "Curly" Lambeau autograph, item # 220290581428. As you can see the winning bid was 541.00, underbidder was 531.00, and I bid 477.29. I got an Email that I had a "second chance offer" on this. He said that the winning bidder could not pay right away, and the underbidder did not do 2nd chance offers. I sent him an Email that I was going to Niagra Falls for my 20th wedding anniv. with my wife, and would not be able to pay until I got back. But a few things were making me uncomfortable about the whole thing. First of all, he has only been registered under that name on Ebay since August 28th,2008. Every item he sells is listed as "Private" and every item he buys is less than 2.00, yet here he is selling a VERY nice Lambeau. I also knew that I had seen this autograph before. I was right. Check out the Lambeau that Kevin Keating has for sale, www.qualityautographs.com the exact same autograph for $2995.00. Now he is selling a perfect Knute Rockne autograph. He also says that his autographs are PSA authenticated, yet he doesn't show any certificate's or authentication #'s. I had my buddy Rod look at all this yesterday, and he said this guy is DEFINITELY a scam artist. I am going to call Ebay tonight.
    Rocke
  • Did you ever seriously think about buying it?

No Greg. I would have taken a chance at $400 though.

<< <i>Hello Everyone,
    I wanted to tell you all ( WARN !!! ) about someone on Ebay. I don't know how to put up a "link" like most of you do, so you will have to look this up yourselves. A "Curly" Lambeau autograph, item # 220290581428. As you can see the winning bid was 541.00, underbidder was 531.00, and I bid 477.29. I got an Email that I had a "second chance offer" on this. He said that the winning bidder could not pay right away, and the underbidder did not do 2nd chance offers. I sent him an Email that I was going to Niagra Falls for my 20th wedding anniv. with my wife, and would not be able to pay until I got back. But a few things were making me uncomfortable about the whole thing. First of all, he has only been registered under that name on Ebay since August 28th,2008. Every item he sells is listed as "Private" and every item he buys is less than 2.00, yet here he is selling a VERY nice Lambeau. I also knew that I had seen this autograph before. I was right. Check out the Lambeau that Kevin Keating has for sale, www.qualityautographs.com the exact same autograph for $2995.00. Now he is selling a perfect Knute Rockne autograph. He also says that his autographs are PSA authenticated, yet he doesn't show any certificate's or authentication #'s. I had my buddy Rod look at all this yesterday, and he said this guy is DEFINITELY a scam artist. I am going to call Ebay tonight.
    Rocke >>

This is the 2nd time that Lambeau has been listed on ebay. I emailed Kevin Keating about it last time, and they said they still had it and had been notified by several people about the guy selling it. Hopefully ebay will take care of it before someone gets scammed.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    1963 NFL HOF Program

As I sit here watching this amazing auction, there are 10 hours left to go. It is at 3k and sure to go higher. What a great and significant item for the NFL autograph collector. Wow is all I can say. Unless Ed McMahon comes to my door today, sadly it will not be mine. (Does he even do that anymore?)

It does have me wondering about a couple of things.

1. In a perfect world, who is missing from this program that should be on it?

2. What will it go for?

The person collecting the autographs was certainly in the right place at the right time and worked really hard to get that program signed by everyone at the event. Must have been a great day!

Jim

• Hello All,
    That is the program that a guy I know here in Canton, consigned to Mastro, along with a ' 64 AND a ' 65 program program that also had a lot of sigs. in them as well. The thing is, when they sold through Mastro ( sometime around May or June ) all three programs made up one lot, and they ALL THREE sold for $3,000.00 TOTAL !!!!! The guy I know that consigned them to Mastro, Scott, did NOT get these auto's himself, but he bought these programs, if you can believe this at a local GARAGE SALE !!!!!! I swear that is a TRUE story.
    Rocke