Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Greg,

He has a nice set and btw, its in a category that we couldnt win. You need to have blue flips. Its still a great set though, but at the time not the hardest to put together.

At some point we will get our due. But it will probably take one of the big names to have the winning set to do it.

Jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Greg,

He has a nice set and btw, its in a category that we couldnt win. You need to have blue flips. Its still a great set though, but at the time not the hardest to put together.

At some point we will get our due. But it will probably take one of the big names to have the winning set to do it.

Jay >>

Jay,

By my calcualtion, there are only 4 more autographs (not counting Turk Edwards, who I have but PSA rejected the 1st time around) that are possible to own which I don't...and you're only a few behind me (a few more might be possible but they would have to be on signed team cards such as the George Preston Marshall that I owed which was rejected by PSA). The 4 are Len Ford, Henry Jordan, Link Lyman and Steve Owen. Of those, Link Lyman is only possible (on a card) by virtue that circa 20 cut cards were produced in the 2002 SP Legendary Cuts set. The remaining 3 are very tough with Owen being the toughest of the 3 on a signed trading card. Henry and Ford are also tough...there are 1 or possibly 2 a year that appear on E-Bay and are usually snatched up within minutes or hours of being listed.

I agree that the Perez Steele set is relatively easy to obtain. There are probably a few guys who are tougher to find...however 100% completion IS attainable. The HOF auto cards set is not currently attainable at 100% and won't be until more cut cards are issued.

If you look back at the posts in this thread, Ullr said that completion of the HOF auto set would be near impossible and would be extremely expensive. Well, you and I are both over 90% and no one beyond our little group seems to care.

Oh well...such is life.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Rocke - thanks for the info about Pollard. What's funny is the Pollard has been deceased the shortest amount of time (22 years) of the top 10 list. I think that if Slater is ever enshrined, he will be one of the top 3 to 5 toughest....no doubt. He died in 1967 and never had children...so my guess is that he personal possessions have long been disposed of.

I'm excited about the 2008 senior nominees...the announcement should be later next month. Any guess as to the nominees. I would love to see Tommy Nobis finally set his due...I would also like to see Otto Schnellbacher....

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Greg,

I agree 100% with what you say. I also kinda have a beef with the player set going to a Willie Mays Basic set. Should Basic sets really be what they award a player set for? Considering that Don Spence has such a huge a fabulous collection of baseball sets at 100% completion its not surprising that he would have the top willie mays or name another star of that era basic set. For a player set I would rather see people that have really pieced together a nice master set wind up with the award. I wouldnt even mind seeing the Sabo guy with his set win, I mean look at the effort that he has gone to, to track down all of those cards. Not someone just filling out other sets with the same cards...that kinda goes for All Time QB rookies set that one as well (since most are HOFers is it a shock that the owner of the #1 FB HOF RC set would also have the best all time QB RC set?). I know these guys have droped serious change on cards and at PSA, but Spence's overall collection is already in the PSA HOF. With that I mean he has already gotten the highest recongition possible for his collection. Now they just are recycling his cards so to speak.

Do you think that my Favre Ticket collection will even get a sniff at an award next year?

Jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>Greg,

I agree 100% with what you say. I also kinda have a beef with the player set going to a Willie Mays Basic set. Should Basic sets really be what they award a player set for? Considering that Don Spence has such a huge a fabulous collection of baseball sets at 100% completion its not surprising that he would have the top willie mays or name another star of that era basic set. For a player set I would rather see people that have really pieced together a nice master set wind up with the award. I wouldnt even mind seeing the Sabo guy with his set win, I mean look at the effort that he has gone to, to track down all of those cards. Not someone just filling out other sets with the same cards...that kinda goes for All Time QB rookies set that one as well (since most are HOFers is it a shock that the owner of the #1 FB HOF RC set would also have the best all time QB RC set?). I know these guys have droped serious change on cards and at PSA, but Spence's overall collection is already in the PSA HOF. With that I mean he has already gotten the highest recongition possible for his collection. Now they just are recycling his cards so to speak.

Do you think that my Favre Ticket collection will even get a sniff at an award next year?

Jay >>

Jay,

What's funny is that I started to type a post yesterday but deleted it that almost exactly mirrored what you said about recycled cards. I brought up Jon's All Time QB set as my example. The toughest cards in that set (with the exception of Manning and Brady) are already included in the HOF rc set, which he won the award for last year. Now, he wins top speciality set which is more or less a subset of the set that won last year.

Sets like the Mantle, Mays, Aaron, ect... basic sets are typcally an exercise in who has the most money. Let's face it...how many of us can buy a Micky Mantle PSA 8 Topps rc? I think the player master sets are better candidates for "sets of the year" because they're more a reflection of endurance than financial might. Take my Marino master set or your Favre master set. There are many oddball/rare cards that are simply difficult to find....not necessarily expensive. Personally, I have searched for several years simply to find 1 card (e.g. 1990 British Petroleum rules on back or 1990 Pro Set Cincinnatti). This is a testament to my dedication to my set....not a reflection of my net worth.

I really mean no disrespect to anyone who won an award...or to Jon who is a good guy (I've dealt with him several times before). I just think the current voting is skewed to recognize sets where money is the key ingredient and/or where recycled cards/sets win awards year after year.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Jay,

I would love to see your Favre ticket set be recognized. What I'm afraid of is that your Favre collection may take second fiddle to the Super Bowl or Pro Bowl...ect ticket sets which are more popular. Once again, most people have no idea how difficult it would be to piece together a ticket set from every game that a player appeared in. I would love to do the same for Marino, however it would be nearly imposible to find them all...in good condition none the less.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭

<< <i> By my calcualtion, there are only 4 more autographs (not counting Turk Edwards, who I have but PSA rejected the 1st time around) that are possible to own which I don't...and you're only a few behind me (a few more might be possible but they would have to be on signed team cards such as the George Preston Marshall that I owed which was rejected by PSA). The 4 are Len Ford, Henry Jordan, Link Lyman and Steve Owen. Of those, Link Lyman is only possible (on a card) by virtue that circa 20 cut cards were produced in the 2002 SP Legendary Cuts set. The remaining 3 are very tough with Owen being the toughest of the 3 on a signed trading card. Henry and Ford are also tough...there are 1 or possibly 2 a year that appear on E-Bay and are usually snatched up within minutes or hours of being listed.

I agree that the Perez Steele set is relatively easy to obtain. There are probably a few guys who are tougher to find...however 100% completion IS attainable. The HOF auto cards set is not currently attainable at 100% and won't be until more cut cards are issued.

If you look back at the posts in this thread, Ullr said that completion of the HOF auto set would be near impossible and would be extremely expensive. Well, you and I are both over 90% and no one beyond our little group seems to care.

Oh well...such is life.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

What is everyone else missing for their set?

I still need:
    Jimmy Conzelman
    Len Ford
    Link Lyman
    Greasy Neale
    Steve Owen
    Jim Thorpe

Team Singed cards:
    Dan Reeves
    George Preston Marshall (if possible)

Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> By my calcualtion, there are only 4 more autographs (not counting Turk Edwards, who I have but PSA rejected the 1st time around) that are possible to own which I don't...and you're only a few behind me (a few more might be possible but they would have to be on signed team cards such as the George Preston Marshall that I owed which was rejected by PSA). The 4 are Len Ford, Henry Jordan, Link Lyman and Steve Owen. Of those, Link Lyman is only possible (on a card) by virtue that circa 20 cut cards were produced in the 2002 SP Legendary Cuts set. The remaining 3 are very tough with Owen being the toughest of the 3 on a signed trading card. Henry and Ford are also tough...there are 1 or possibly 2 a year that appear on E-Bay and are usually snatched up within minutes or hours of being listed.

Oh well...such is life.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

What is everyone else missing for their set?

I still need:
    Jimmy Conzelman
    Len Ford
    Link Lyman
    Greasy Neale
    Steve Owen
    Jim Thorpe

Team Singed cards:
    Dan Reeves
    George Preston Marshall (if possible) >>

Reese,

Actually, I forgot Jim Thorpe (Thanks for reminding me). I need:

Len Ford
    Link Lyman
    Henry Jordan
    Steve Owen
    Jim Thorpe

Team Singed cards:
    George Preston Marshall (if possible)

References:
  • Options
    UllrUllr Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    I care, but it is an expensive and so far impossible endeavor.

You are not going to enlist enthusiastic hordes to pursue a set they can't possibly finish. After all, isn't the goal of most collections to be as complete as possible be it a Basic player Set or a 1972 Topps baseball set. Most collectors don't expect to be number 1, but they would like to finish. You are a small group dedicated and determined to find every card possible, and I admire your perseverance.

I've checked all of your sets and viewed all the scans. I also view this thread at least 2x a week to see whats new. There are probably more than a few others lurking here but not posting comments.

My little girls and business take up too much time and money for me to actively pusue the NFL auto set right now but five years from now I'll still be here.

The highest rated baseball HOF auto set is 30% complete
    That is my set and I was over 50% before the new Set Registry version came online. A ton of cards (all PSA/DNA) didn't make the transition to the new format. Miami Sauls' set also took a big hit. I haven't bothered to deal with it yet. You guys think 90% is tough for the NFL autos, try baseball with 19th century players, negro leaguers, pioneers. Christ who has a signed John Clarkson card image
    collecting '67 & '75 red sox + baseball HOF autographs
  • Options

<< <i>I care, but it is an expensive and so far impossible endeavor.

You are not going to enlist enthusiastic hordes to pursue a set they can't possibly finish. After all, isn't the goal of most collections to be as complete as possible be it a Basic player Set or a 1972 Topps baseball set. Most collectors don't expect to be number 1, but they would like to finish. You are a small group dedicated and determined to find every card possible, and I admire your perseverance.

I've checked all of your sets and viewed all the scans. I also view this thread at least 2x a week to see whats new. There are probably more than a few others lurking here but not posting comments.

My little girls and business take up too much time and money for me to actively pusue the NFL auto set right now but five years from now I'll still be here.

The highest rated baseball HOF auto set is 30% complete
    That is my set and I was over 50% before the new Set Registry version came online. A ton of cards (all PSA/DNA) didn't make the transition to the new format. Miami Sauls' set also took a big hit. I haven't bothered to deal with it yet. You guys think 90% is tough for the NFL autos, try baseball with 19th century players, negro leaguers, pioneers. Christ who has a signed John Clarkson card image >>

Ullr,

Thanks for your post...I always look forward to you posting on this thread...after all, you were the original leader in this set until Jay, Reese, Frank and I came along.

I agree in principal with what you're saying. The set is currently impossible to complete, but that is part of the allure. In the past year, 2 previously impossible autographs (Bell and Trafton) are now possible by virture of newly issued cut cards. In the future, we'll slowly see more and more released...at least that is my hope.

I think what also hurts the collectibility of the set is the lack of already slabbed cards. 95+% of the cards in my set were raw purchases. I think that many people feel uncomfortable buying unslabbed autographs, especially when they're not familiar w/ the autograph (i.e. to tell whether its authentic). I got lucky by meeting Jack Wallin as everything he has is authentic and he has been an invaluable source of information.

I really hope our little niche becomes more popular in the future and that more attention is paid to our endeavour.

I agree that the baseball auto'd set is incredibly tough. I researched whether I should start the set and decided not to when I discovered there were literally a couple of dozen HOFers who would cost in excess of $1000 on a signed trading/gum card. I don't have that kind of cash lying around...lol. Not for a sport that is my second love.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Congrats on winning the award this year Greg!
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats on winning the award this year Greg! >>

Thanks Josh....I'll be lucky to add 1 more card within the next year (besides the class of 2008). It will be slow moving from here image

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys, since you all know these autos well, I got a couple questions, about HOF autos (cuts, not cards)
    I was at the Chantilly show tommorrow, and found a guy with a some interesting autos.
    What's a fair price for a relatively clean, non-distracting Sid Luckman cut?
    Also, he had a HOF flyer from an induction years ago signed by Unitas, and if I recall, also Hirsch and Grange, now a few of the sigs are distracted by colored printing, but is the marked price reasonable at $150?

I did buy this Johnny Unitas cut from him for $25 that I really like and will probably make cut card out of it.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    I would think a nice Luckman would probably run between $20-$30. Be careful with Luckman signatures though, as there are many fakes out there. I believe his secretary signed for him later in his life. It might be best to make sure it has passed PSA/DNA inspection.

The flyer sounds pretty reasonable to me. If you are going to make "cut" cards out of the flyer, you could without a doubt find those three signatures on ebay for less than $150.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    I would think a nice Luckman would probably run between $20-$30
    I think you are a bit low on that price Reese. I would buy legit Luckmans at that price all day long. A lot of the qustions around Luckman have been that his sig. changed at different stages of his life. Especially his later sigs. compared to his younger years. Also, his wife ghost signed for him when he was ill.
    When it comes to Luckman, better to pay the extra $$ and get a PSA/DNa auto.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    Sid Luckman's autograph is one of the toughest to determine if it is authentic or not. He has had so many variations to his signature over the years it really is tough to pin-point exactally what is real and what is 'ghost-signed' or just out-right fake, which is the same thing anyway. So I have been trying to figure it out recently. Rev. Mike sent me a story about Luckman and his autographs. At this point, for me, if I ever purchase another Luckman autograph, it would be

1. from ron gordon - or
    2. pre-1970 example.

In the story, Ron shows exampls of 5 autographed photo's he obtained when Luckman did his (1) and only private signing. They are just amazing to look at! All 5 were signed on the same day but there are major differences with each.

As I type this, I did a search on ebay. There is only (1) autograph I would feel comfortable buying. It is the signed check for $450 from "extremelyrare". All the others are not good, in my opinion. Here is a pic of the 8x10's from the private signing and other genuine examples.

another 'good' Luckman-

some bad....

Here is my HOF football. I Got the Luckman in the early 90's. Unfortunately, it is probably Mrs. Luckman - grrr!

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
  • Options
    Well, the Luckman he had was at $40. I have been reading this thread for about a year, so I had seen the talk about Luckman's autos being tough, that was one reason why I asked you all. The auto was with a binder of autos that you could tell all came from the same collector and they looked like older. If I recall, the SID was similar to one the pics labeled 5, but I don't recall what the L in Luckman looked like. I have the guys business card, so I may ask him to send me a scan of it. Thanks guys

Commissions

• Options

<< <i>I would think a nice Luckman would probably run between $20-$30
    I think you are a bit low on that price Reese. I would buy legit Luckmans at that price all day long. A lot of the qustions around Luckman have been that his sig. changed at different stages of his life. Especially his later sigs. compared to his younger years. Also, his wife ghost signed for him when he was ill.
    When it comes to Luckman, better to pay the extra $$ and get a PSA/DNa auto. >>

KHW had a slabbed one for $35 about a month ago. I figured it was legit, but now I'm not so sure. Does anyone know if the 97 Leaf Reproductions autos are legit?

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    KHW had a slabbed one for $35 about a month ago. I figured it was legit, but now I'm not so sure.

The discerning factors on Luckman autos (after they have been determined to be legit) are placement on the card, clarity (some don't seem to written with much force), type of card it is written on and if that card is part of a set or subset. Also, if the auto is graded "Authentic" or with a number grade
    That's why some will go for $35-$50 and others will go for $150+.
    It really depends on how it's presented, but I guess there is one out there for everyone.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I would think a nice Luckman would probably run between $20-$30
    When it comes to Luckman, better to pay the extra $$ and get a PSA/DNa auto. >>

KHW had a slabbed one for $35 about a month ago. I figured it was legit, but now I'm not so sure. Does anyone know if the 97 Leaf Reproductions autos are legit? >>

Sorry but the 97 Leafs are not legit. Here is mine and it looks terrible! image
  • Options
    The problem with finding a "cerified" Sid Luckman card is that dealers and authenticators have widely diverging opinions as to which Luckman autographs are genuine and which are ghost signed. I have had numberous discussion with Jack Wallin, Phil Marks and CJ Dunsmore about Luckman autographs and each have different opinions as to which versions of Luckman's autograph are real. I personally own 4 Luckman autographs that were rejected by PSA. 2 were from from Jack Wallin (74 Fleer and 77 TD that were signed during the 70's) and 2 1988 Swell; 1 from Phil Marks and 1 from CJ. All 4 autographs look different yet each appears similar to exemplars that PSA has posted on the PSA/DNA autograph database (I've downloaded the example to my personal PC). My understanding is that Sid Luckman signed his name at least 3 different ways; sometimes with a cursive L, sometimes with a printed L plus the S in Sid is all over the board. Jack forwarded me scans of 3 Luckman autographs which were given to him by a long time customer. The customer supposedly took the pictures back in the 70's at a signing and show 3 items that were autographed in succession. What's funny is that all 3 autographs are slightly different...

This has been compounded by "rumours" if you will that Luckman had a secretary for years ghost sign for him and that his wife even signed for him occasionally. The end result is that no one really knows which Luckman autographs are real....and PSA typically rejects most Luckman autographed cards...expecially 75 Fleers, 77 TD's and all Swell cards.

I do think the 97 Leaf's are legit, however the signatures are typically sloppy because he signed the cards just months before his death...

Search for Luckman in the forum and you'll see a thread I started regarding Luckman autographs.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    PSA typically rejects most Luckman autographed cards...expecially 75 Fleers, 77 TD's and all Swell cards.

I have one of Jacks Luckmans (I believe 75 Fleer) that was rejected, but I believe I have a Swell Luckman that is slabbed. I'll try to post the scan tonight.
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry but the 97 Leafs are not legit. Here is mine and it looks terrible! image >>

Mine doesn't look much better but PSA and JSA/Beckett slab them and they seem to think they are legit.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    I have a luckman from jack W. probably no good....should i contact him? purchased it earlier this year.

I also have information about o.j. simpson and his autographs. His is more cut and dry. A bit easier to determine. From Gridiron Greats:

1. genuine signatures exhibit a connecting stroke between the S-i in his last name. The ghost signed ones do not connect

2. the initial pen placement in the capital O: A) Genuine examples start at the 3 o'clock position and the writing in in a clockwise direction. Ghost signatures start at the 12 o'clock position with the writing is in a counter clockwise direction.

Hope this helps us all....I find it very useful information.

Jim

• Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    What about the Gold Goal line Art cards----are these the real deal or were they ghost signed too?
  • Options
    revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭
    Here are examples of OJ and Luckman that were authenticated by Steve Grad at Mastronet and under that a Fats Henry that got the ok from PSA

• Options

<< <i>What about the Gold Goal line Art cards----are these the real deal or were they ghost signed too? >>

Luckman or Simpson?

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Picked up a few cards for my set. Hopefully these will all grade out well. I'm not a fan of sticker autos, but I thought the printing plates were cool so I picked them up.

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Nice cards. Though Printing plates are tough grades, especially due to surface.

Commissions

• Options
    I should do well on the Marino and Unitas, but you are right the plates are going to be tougher than I expected.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Reese,

Nice pickup on the Marino and Unitas....both are very sweet (I'm especially envious of the Marino because I don't one in my Marino collection). I typically don't like the inscriptions cards, but that Unitas autograph looks very bold....

Does anyone have a Lou Rymkus auto'd card for sale? I've been searching for 6 months and have never seen one for sale. Any idea on value and scarcity?

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    I'm not really a big fan of the inscriptions either, but with the Microsoft discount I couldn't pass it up. At some point, I want to upgrade it to the 99 Century Legends or 01 SOTT.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Lou Rymkus signed cards are very tough. I have never seen one and I have been looking for him for years. I have an album page and 3x5 card signed. Both were rather expensive.

Jim

• Options

<< <i>Lou Rymkus signed cards are very tough. I have never seen one and I have been looking for him for years. I have an album page and 3x5 card signed. Both were rather expensive.

Jim >>

Thanks Jim...I figured that you'd chime in image It's rather surprising because he has only been dead a few years yet is extremely tough to find. I'd also like to find an Otto Schnellenberger (sp?)...preferably a 51 Bowman (if anyone has one).

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Greg,

Funny you should mention that, I just bought a Otto Schnellbacher autographed 3X5 for $10 on E-bay last week. Hope you find your '51 Bowman.

Ken
  • Options

<< <i>Lou Rymkus signed cards are very tough. I have never seen one and I have been looking for him for years. I have an album page and 3x5 card signed. Both were rather expensive.

Jim >>

I got lucky about 6-8 months ago. Won an Ebay auction of a 2 page hand-written letter signed first & last name by Lou. I am pretty sure that I won it from Rich A. and I got it for something like 29.99 + S&H You never know, Lou was the old timers nominee once before, and may be again.
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Options

<< <i>What about the Gold Goal line Art cards----are these the real deal or were they ghost signed too? >>

Hey Joe,
    Good to see you on here.
    I am pretty sure that Joe is asking for anyone's opinion concerning the Luckman Goal Line Art "Gold" cards.
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Options

<< <i>

Hey Joe,
    Good to see you on here.
    I am pretty sure that Joe is asking for anyone's opinion concerning the Luckman Goal Line Art "Gold" cards.
    Rocke >>

I spoke with Phil Marks at the Sun Times show back in March and he actually mentioned how difficult it can be to find an authentic Luckman goal line art card. He claimed that only a few autographs are authentic and that most were ghost signed.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    I also talked to Phil Marks at the CSA show in Chantilly, Va. in March. He also said that all of the Dan Fortmann Goal Line Art "Proof" cards are fake. I think Phil is a good guy, He has some VERY nice stuff for sale, but I do think that he is a bit cynical about some autographs that, no matter if they are PSA/DNA or Jim Spence authenticated, he has no problem calling them fake.
    Rocke
  • Options
    xdvop86xdvop86 Posts: 18 ✭✭
    I am looking for a Marty Brill autograph. If you have one please let me know how much you will sell it for. Thanks.
  • Options
    Hey guys,

I know Phil Marks also from his numerous visits to the Chantilly, VA show. I think he is a bit conservative when evaluating authenticity, but also very good. I bought really nice Greasy Neale and Conzelman autographs from him in the past 6 months. Two shows ago I had a stack of HOF autographed cards/3X5s (about 35 total) that I was thinking about bringing to James Spence. There was one 3X5 that I bought on E-bay of Arnie Herber that I was almost certain was forged. It wasn't obviously fake, but a few things about it bothered me. The rest I was about 99.9% were good. Well, he worked his way through the entire pile without any comment from me and picked out the Herber and handed it back to me. He said that he didn't like it at all and then proceeded to tell me why...he was dead on in my opinion.

Anyway, very nice guy in my interactions and very informative. I would trust buying material from Phil.

Ken
  • Options
    Does anyone know anything about Chuck McKeen? He's got some nice stuff on ebay, but I've never bought from him before. Has anyone here dealt with him before?
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    not sure about the rest but a couple of the oj simpson autographs he has are ghost signed. let's make that 2 of the 6 are good. the one with walter payton is a ghost signed card.

• Options
    One more to mark off this list!!!!

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone know anything about Chuck McKeen? He's got some nice stuff on ebay, but I've never bought from him before. Has anyone here dealt with him before? >>

I have never bought anything from Chuck, but he and I did exchange about a half-dozen E-mails last Jan. concerning some auto's that he had for sale, then he got me hooked up with a buddy of his that also has some nice stuff. I bought one of my three Guy Chamberlin's from Chuck's buddy. Very Nice PSA/DNA authenticated 3x5. From the Emails we exchanged, assuming he was being truthful, and I DO believe everything that he told me, He has been collecting football autographs since the late '40's. He also told me that he has contributed to, and co-authored something called "The Sanders Autograph Guide" I admit, I have never heard of it, and don't know anything about it, but maybe someone out in forum land knows something. Chuck also told me that if I bought something from him, and wasn't happy with it, that he would refund my money.
    Rocke
  • Options
    Congratulations Reese. VERY Nice pick-up. Excellent signature. Just to bad some clown shaved off the top of the "E". Very cool that he signed "socks" instead of "sox".

Rocke
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on Chuck McKeen. I went ahead and bought something from him after a quick opinion came back likely geniune.

Rocke, Congrats on the Owen. I saw it and figured it wouldn't be around for long! Great pickup!
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>Congratulations Reese. VERY Nice pick-up. Excellent signature. Just to bad some clown shaved off the top of the "E". Very cool that he signed "socks" instead of "sox".

Rocke >>

Thanks Rocke! I'm happy to finally be able to add it to my set. I'm not sure why they shaved off the top of the "E" but considering how bad some of the cuts are, I'll take it.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Reese,

What was the price?

Jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Reese,

Congrats on the Neale...another one down!! I would like to announce that I am the proud papa of a Henry Jordan autographed Philly card....see below. It looks good based on the exemplars that I have, however I'm interested to see whether it passes PSA/DNA.

Henry Jordan

Rgs,

Greg M.

References: