Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• Hello All
    I REALLY wish I could say, "It was me" but if I did , I would be lying. Until I get an Inheritance,or hit the lottery, (which I don't play !!! ) something in that price range, is out of my price range.
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Well you can always sell Ben but even then you still probably couldn't raise enough to cover it.....have you thought about a second job?
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Someone must have been desperate to add Tim Mara to his collection...lol. That's crazy! I know his auto is tough to find...but $7500...wow.

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    The last Mara on ebay sold for 3K correct?
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • I believe it was 3K - there was another letter in this lot - from Wellington Mara describing the letter from his father:

• << <i>The last Mara on ebay sold for 3K correct? >>

Hey Reese, you are just about spot-on. It was about 3065.00 That was the one that Rod won, that got him from needing two down to needing one. It was in N. Carolina, and he drove down to pick it up, because he was afraid it would get lost in the mail or that something fishy might happen to it. It has six auto's on the piece of paper : Monk Edwards, Jim Poole, Mel Hein, Tuffy Leemans, Steve Owen, and Tim Mara. It was also Spence authenticated. It was also signed Tim Mara, NOT T.J. Mara and is a PERFECT signature. By the way, How do you like your new friend Bill Hewitt, that you got from Rod. I let him know that I was NOT happy that he didn't offer it to me before he put it on Ebay. I told him that he could have put me on his "payment plan" like he did when I bought my Jim Thorpe off of him. If I ever learn how to put a picture on this website, I will post a picture of it. It is ABSOLUTELY the coolest looking Thorpe I ever seen. Wife needs me. gotta go.
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
    Hey Rocke,

Do you by chance have a scan of that Mara? I thought I had it saved, but I can't seem to find it.

I absolutely love the Hewitt. It is one of those signatures I really never thought I would be able to find, but I was lucky enough to had just sold some things to pay for it and Rod gave me what I consider a very fair price. I really consider either the Hewitt or my Fritz Pollard to be the cornerstones of my collection. It also put me down to needing only seven more signatures- Bidwell, Carr, Henry, Kiesling, Lambeau, Mara, and Ray. I shouldn't have to much trouble finding Fats Henry or Curly Lambeau assuming I have the money, but Bidwell, Kiesling, Carr, Mara, and Ray are a different story!

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Hello All, I just bought a pair of 3x5 cards. I bought a Arnie Herber that I am selling to a buddy of mine that also collects, ( he is now down to 13 ) but doesn't !!! do Ebay and I bought an Elijah Pitts for myself. Paid 21.50 for the Pitts. I admit, I don't know much about him. Anyone ? Does he have ANY chance at getting in ? Looked like a nice auto. and he did pass away 10 years ago. Rocke
  • Hey Reese,
    No I don't have a scan. When it was on Ebay however, I DID hit the print button though, so I DO have a paper copy of it. You are just going to have to plan a trip over here to Canton for Hall of Fame weekend so You can see my collection, and we'll hook up with Rod, so you can see HIS collection. Don't know if you know or not, but HoF weekend and The National are back to back weeks next year, the first two weekend of 2009. I really hope that some of you collectors out there like Jim, Mike, Greg, Ken, Scott, and anyone else that is interested, ought to start planning a trip here for The National/Hall of Fame induction very soon. I would Love to meet you and have you over to my Home to see my collection. All of you out there, Please think about it. I would be glad to help with Hotel suggestions.
    Rocke
  • tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    Hey Rocke, Hotel? We are going to stay at the Rocke Bed and Breakfast! image I hear you get a free Benny Friedman under your pillow at check-in!

I saw this picture and wanted to share with all of you HOF collectors.

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
  • I think I saved a scan of that Mara autograph on my office computer - will check and post if it is there. There is a sample signature on my website - as well the story behind the photo below - check out

Charity game

Mara autograph

• Rocke,

That sounds like a great trip....thanks for the gracious invite. I would love to make the National for the first time this year and stop by to see your collection. The show is late July, right? I will plant the idea in my wife's brain and let it stew a bit so that I can lock it in sometime in the spring:}. Hope you and your family are having a nice Thanksgiving. If you ever decide to venture out for the CSA shows in Chantilly, VA make sure to let me know and we can meet up. Take care.

Ken
  • Hello Ken,
    The dates for The National in Cleveland next year is July 29-30-31,Aug.1-2, 2009. ( Wed.-Sunday ) The Football Hall of Fame events start on the following Thursday August 6th and conclude on Sunday August 9th. This will be the 5th time in the last 12 years that it has been in Cleveland. It may well be the last as well, As the building that holds Clevelands biggest conventions, ( like The National ) sits right next to Cleveland Hopkins Airport, and was in fact bought by the airport a couple of years ago. The stipulation was that they had to honor all pre-existing rentals before the airport can take control and tear it down, which they are going to do, so they can expand the runways. I have been to all 4 previous National's and have had a great time at all of them. I normally have went 2 or 3 days. I still have NEVER got through all of the dealers at any National. There are just to many. But it is a BLAST. As far as Chantilly, I didn't realize that you live in that area. I have in fact been down there SEVEN times in the last 4 years. 1 in '05, and twice in ' 06, ' 07, and ' 08. I was there at the March and July show this year. I plan on going to the March show in ' 09. I just found out when I was there in July about Walter Johnson's Grandson being a dealer there. I talked with him for about 45 minutes. I mostly go to get pictures of the athletes with my son. That is one of the things I LOVE about that show. They let you do pictures, even if you don't pay for an autograph of that person. I normally buy about 5-8 autograph tickets, but I get my kids picture taken with 20 or so athletes. He has had his picture taken with 115 of the 247 men in The Hall, and he is 11 years old !!!!! Plus I catch up with two of my favorite dealers, Jeff Whitmore and Joe Mancino. I will definitely plan on hooking up with you on my next trip down there.
    Rocke
  • Rocke,

I wonder if they are going to take the National back out to Anaheim in the future? Obviously, it would be much quicker and easier for me to get to Cleveland:}. I need to make 2009 the year I go. We should definitely meet up the next time you come to the Chantilly, VA show. I live less than 10 minutes from the Dulles Expo Center in an area called Ashburn, so I rarely miss those shows. There are a couple of regular HOF autograph dealers that I meet up with in Chantilly including Phil Marks. Let's make sure to touch base before the March show and make plans!

Ken
    I just acquired a Tony Blazine autograph. Does anyone know anything about his autograph? Does anyone have one to compare it with? How rare is it?

Funny story that I want to share. I recently sent an autograph request to Paul Hornung with a 57 Topps rc, 59 Topps and $40. I received an envelope back today with 4 auto'd cards - however my 57 Topps was missing (which I paid $150 for!!). In a panic, I called his business phone and launched into a panicked (sp?) explanation of what had happened. After a minute, the man said "this is Paul Hornung"...and I was floored...because I never expected him to answer the phone. I then calmed down and explained what happened. He apologized profusely and looked around his office and actually found my card! He asked whether I really wanted him to sign the card and I said yes because I'm collecting the 1957 Topps set signed. He said that he would sign it and mail it back to me.... We talked for a minute or two and then hung up.

Definately one of the stranger experiences that I've had.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    Jim,

Where do you find this stuff? Truly amazing!

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭
    I came a step closer today to finishing off the 1963 HOF class with this contract from NBC for Sammy Baugh to appear on the Colgate Sports Newsreell show December 6, 1946 - for which he was paid $150. I don't know if this is a typical example of G. P. Marshall's signature - maybe others could tell me. Thanks.

<< <i>I came a step closer today to finishing off the 1963 HOF class with this contract from NBC for Sammy Baugh to appear on the Colgate Sports Newsreell show December 6, 1946 - for which he was paid $150. I don't know if this is a typical example of G. P. Marshall's signature - maybe others could tell me. Thanks.

image >>

I have a GPM sample at home that I can e-mail to you. Send me an e-mail @ montooth13 at yahoo.com and I'll reply w/ the scan.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    I have a few contacts that have a lot of stuff, HOF'ers and non. They are older gentlemen and don't do the internet that much. One in particular I can share a quick story about.

He has an amazing amount of stuff. Thousands of autographs from 3x5's of George Allen, Henry Jordan, all the 'mid-level' tough ones I guess you can say. He also has some great non-hof'ers which is my main interest. But, as with everything, there is a problem. One of the first 'stories' he ever told me was about how he feels he got 'taken' when he sold all his baseball items. Years ago he sold the bulk of his baseball stuff and now has many regrets about it. He felt that he was taken advantage of by a few dealers and is now very ....well, protective (meaning expensive) when he sells his stuff. I guess I can't blame him all that much. He spent his life collecting and as we all know, it is tough to part with it. On top of all that, he isn't too interested in selling his lifes passion away. So, all in all, nice guy willing to sit on his items until the football autograph market explodes to more than the .....how many, 8 guys on this thread? haha, I like belonging to a small group. Cuts down on the competition!

Thanks Greg! I scour the ends of the earth looking for hidden treasures! image

Mike, great item. It is also a nice bonus to have the Robert K. Adams signature on it.

Jim

Rocke, put your PM's on.

• << <i>Rocke, put your PM's on. >>

Hello Jim, anyone can Email me at sweanes@sbcglobal.net
    Mike, that is the BEST George P. Marshall that I have EVER seen. You can pretty much make out every single letter in his signature. Pretty much all of the ones I have seen are basically G-(scribble), maybe you can make out the "P" , and then M, and maybe you can make out a couple of letters after that. VERY NICE.
    Rocke
  • Hey guys,

Picked this up for $50, let me know what you think:

George Allen Autograph

Thought it was an interesting piece considering that it's his insurance card for his first year coaching the Washington Redskins in 1971. The autograph is in ball point pen. Thanks.

Ken
    Did anyone see this photo in a recent auction. I think it is amazing.

• I see three of the Four Horsement plus Rip Miller and Jerry Miller - but no Don Miller - I think he is the hardest of the Four Horsemen to get -
    I like the Joe Bach autograph, too - I've been slowly working on the autographs of the players in the 1935 Chicle R311 set - Bach is among them.
  • Hi Everyone~

I have over 80 different FOOTBALL HOF players I am interested in selling or trading for 1958 Topps baseball. If anyone is interested, please reply here or PM me!

Thanks~

EARL
  • I'd be interested in seeing your list, Earl - please go to my website using this link Mike's page and use the email address at the bottom of the page to talk further - or to send your list, if you have one. Thanks. Mike
  • Hello Everyone, and Merry CHRISTMAS to all of you,
    I forget the guys name, but that UKRedskins guy that lives in England just put something for sale/best offer that is pretty neat. I have never seen one before. It is an autographed 1969 Topps football card of Brian Piccolo. I don't know if any of you would be interested, but he has already got two offers on it. I am sure it won't last long.
    Rocke
  • I forgot to put the item # 260333865686.
    Rocke
    Auction

Someone bought it for $550.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    That must be freshly signed! Be very wary of buying from him. There are three people on this thread (myself included) who will never buy from UKRedskins again).

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
    I have had a few dealings w/ukredskins...some good, some bad. His Warren Lahr is ghostsigned. I am a 'warren lahr' aficionado..i know, stop laughing! I told him about it when he had it at $40.00. After I told him it was ghostsigned he put it at $140 or whatever it is now because he didn't know he died in the 60's. I have thought about this for years but it just doesn't seem possible that someone would have all those tough autographed cards and a seemlessly endless supply.

Is it possible to have all those cards...sure, probable....not really.

Jim,

That is exactly my problem with him! I recently had 6 expensive cards rejected that I bought from CJ (UK Redskins owner) and he won't refund my $! Let's see - in the past year CJ has sold a Piccolo, a 61 Nu Scoops Ernie Davis, 55 Topps AA Alonzo Stagg, several Ameche's, several Lipscombs, Mac Speedie, 55 Topps AA Bruce Smith, 55 Topps AA Davey O'Brien, 55 Topps AA Harmon, 59 Topps Dan Reeves (HOF owner of the Rams). Not to mention, I bought a 66 Philly George Preston Marshall from a collector who bought it from CJ which was rejected by PSA. At some point it just becomes implausible that he could find all of those cards.

I also buy from Phil Marks, Richard Albersheim and Kevin Keating and combined they can't source anywhere near the same number of rare autographs as CJ can.

Greg M.

References:
  • Jim and Greg,

I have the same concerns about someone who has such an endless supply of material. The very experienced collectors on this thread search high and low for material from various sources (internet, dealers, auction houses, flea markets/newspapers, etc.) across the entire country and some of these sellers on E-bay turn up incredibly difficult autographs every few weeks. I have bought from CJ in the past, but am skeptical to do so going forward.

Another one on E-bay who I occasionally buy from is Kirk (E-bay id: "khw") who also seems to have a never ending supply....although all of his stuff is PSA/DNA authenticated so that makes me feel a bit better. I am not trying to cast doubt on kwh, it just seems like they have a constant influx of good stuff which boggles my mind.

Ken
  • Hello,
    Boy do I Ever feel like I opened a can of worms !!!! LOL. I don't know CJ , nor have I ever bought anything from him. The Piccolo card caught my eye, and I know that there have been posts about him in the past. ( both good and bad.) I personally, am just VERY wary of buying from someone that sells stuff that is NOT PSA/DNA or JSA authenticated, and will NOT refund the purchase price if it fails to pass authentication. I have bought a pretty fair amount from Rich Albersheim, even though they are not authenticated, because of who he is, the reputation that he has, and if anything would happen to fail, I know that he would take care of it. As far as Kirk Welch, I have also bought a VERY large # of auto's from him. I have talked to him a # of times on the phone, and as Ken pointed out, everything Kirk has, has passed authentication. I am registered on 15 different auction sites, and I am 100% positive that Kirk is registered on more than I am. I have seen many auto's on other sites appear in Kirk's store a few weeks/months later. I have always found Kirk to be GREAT to deal with, and he has always given me a very good price when I call him and wanted to buy multiple auto's at one time.
    I hope that everyone has a GREAT and BLESSED Christmas.
    Rocke
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    The interesting thing is that CJ states that he'll refund if anything fails to pass authentication, but when push comes to shove, he'll defer to keeping the money you paid. Perhaps he figures no one will travel to Europe to file charges.

Anyway, it's a pretty bad business model, but with eBay, there's a virtually endless supply of people that will continue to pay up for both good and bad signatures. Personally, I've had interest in several items he's posted, but have always shied away. Just too many items and not much evidence of buying like Kirk and others seem to do. I can't count the number of times I've seen Kirk pony up and hit the BIN for some tougher autos and then see them several weeks later in PSA/DNA slabs.
  • UllrUllr Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    Kirk is legit. He is buying on eBay all the time. 154 items just on eBay since November 21st.

He has outbid me a few times and the cards always end up slabbed and in his store a few weeks later.

On a change the subject. How is Jim Otto's health? I thought I had read he was not well, but he is scheduled for a signing 2/22/09. I am having a tough time finding a 1964 topps signed card and was thinking about sending a card.

Also do any of the following sign TTM (free or fee)?
    Mike Ditka
    Roger Wehrli
    Herb Adderley
    George Blanda
    Ernie Stautner
    Ron Yary
    collecting '67 & '75 red sox + baseball HOF autographs
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Also do any of the following sign TTM (free or fee)?

Mike Ditka - Signs TTM (Free but sporadic)
    Roger Wehrli - Signs TTM (Fee)
    Herb Adderley - Signs TTM (Fee)
    George Blanda - Signs TTM (Free but personalizes everything)
    Ernie Stautner - Deceased
    Ron Yary - Signs TTM >>

<< <i>Kirk is legit. He is buying on eBay all the time. 154 items just on eBay since November 21st.

He has outbid me a few times and the cards always end up slabbed and in his store a few weeks later.

On a change the subject. How is Jim Otto's health? I thought I had read he was not well, but he is scheduled for a signing 2/22/09. I am having a tough time finding a 1964 topps signed card and was thinking about sending a card.

Also do any of the following sign TTM (free or fee)?
    Mike Ditka
    Roger Wehrli
    Herb Adderley
    George Blanda
    Ernie Stautner
    Ron Yary >>

I agree w/ you that Kirk is legit. Actually, a lot of his 1975 Fleer and 1977 TDs were purchased from Jack Wallin. Kirk's business model is that he buys autographs (often cheaply) has them slabbed and then sells for a premium. He's a great guy to deal with - I've bought 30 to 40 cards from Kirk over the years (including ~ 10 from my heisman set).

From what I understand, Jim Otto's health is failing but he does sign TTM for $15. As for the other HOFers:

Mike Ditka - yes, although he is EXTREMELY inconsistent. I've had 2 TTM requests returned.
    Roger Wehrli - Yes, for $15
    Herb Adderley - Yes, for $5
    George Blanda - Yes, will sign one item for free
    Ernie Stautner - Died in 2006
    Ron Yary - Yes, for $20

Let me know if you need the respective addresses.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Hey guys,

Was not trying to cast doubt on Kirk, he has outbid me on stuff more times than I want to count:}. It's just amazing to me that he has such a tremendous inventory and is constantly turning stuff over...lots and lots of work involved obviously. It seems like he has eyes on every possible steal out there. I have bought at least a dozen autographs from khw with no problems (most recently a slabbed W. Payton). Thanks.

Ken
    WOW, I can't believe I didn't know Stautner died. image Any addresses for the others.

No problem if Ditka doesn't sign as long as the card comes back.

Also what about Jim Otto. Will I get a strong sig? Years ago I sent a John Henry Johnson rookie card to a private signing. The signature that came back was horrible (dementia I believe).
  • This goes back to the Notre Dame autographed photo post below - I found this picture in the back of the 1925 Notre Dame yearbook - must have been taken the same day as the one below

Great Photo Mike, looks like they spent the day goofing around a bit!

Snub Pollard was certainly a very accomplished actor. I love old movies and now I will have to keep a look out for him. He was in over 300 movies! If you check his career, a bunch of times his is listed as just....'barfly' or extra haha

<< <i>Great Photo Mike, looks like they spent the day goofing around a bit!

Snub Pollard was certainly a very accomplished actor. I love old movies and now I will have to keep a look out for him. He was in over 300 movies! If you check his career, a bunch of times his is listed as just....'barfly' or extra haha >>

Who would love to be a paid barfly?

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>WOW, I can't believe I didn't know Stautner died. image Any addresses for the others.

No problem if Ditka doesn't sign as long as the card comes back.

Also what about Jim Otto. Will I get a strong sig? Years ago I sent a John Henry Johnson rookie card to a private signing. The signature that came back was horrible (dementia I believe). >>

It's too bad that Stautner died as he was a great signer. From what I understand, Jim Otto's sig is still fairly strong (I need to send a request to Otto myself - now that I'm collecting auto'd HOF rookie cards). Here are the addresses that you requested:

Mike Ditka - ESPN Plaza Bristol, CT 06010
    Roger Wehrli - 46 Fox Meadows Ct St Charles MO 63303 (someone mentioned that he wants $8 to sign a card...$15 must be for a GLAC)
    Herb Adderley - 1058 Tristram Cir. Mantua, NJ 08051-2204 (he usually signs fast, however I'm still waiting on my package from early Nov)
    George Blanda - 18 Forest Gate Circle Oakbrook, IL 60523 - will sign one item for free
    Ernie Stautner - Died in 2006
    Ron Yary - 38886 Calle de Companero Murrieta, CA 92560 - Charges $20 but you may get away w/ paying $10

Good luck and let me know if you need any more addy's.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:

<< <i>Did anyone see this photo in a recent auction. I think it is amazing.

image >>

That's an incredible picture. Who is the old guy who didn't sign? He looks like a mobster...

Greg M.

References:
  • The signed photo had a hammer price pf $7,000 on Mastro - the stout man was not identified in the auction description and is not identified in the archives of Notre Dame - which can be searched on the web at http://archives.nd.edu/
    Here's the search results for Snub Pollard - I would say the second one on the list is the picure in question ahd the second to the last is the picture from the back of the yearbook

GATH 4/17 Image(s) : Knute Rockne with Adam Walsh & Snub Pollard c1924
    GATH 4/17 Image(s) : Knute Rockne with Snub Pollard, Unidentified, & Elmer Layden, Don Miller, Harry Stuhldreher, Jim Crowley, Adam Walsh, & other Football Players c1924
    GBBY 57G/185 Image(s) : Knute Rockne with Snub Pollard (Comedian) & Football Player Adam Walsh 1924?
    GBBY OVF/73 Image(s) : Knute Rockne with Comedian Snub Pollard (Hollywood) - Portrait taken in Hollywood 1920s
    GBBY 57G/210 Image(s) : Football Team Photo - in Formation with Snub Pollard 1924?
    GPHR 7127 4x5 B/W Negative(s) : Knute Rockne with Comedian Snub Pollard, Adam Walsh [copy] 1976/0615

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • In 1924 Mack Sennett produced a picture called The Halfback of Notre Dame - one actor was Vernon Dent - could he be the mystery man in the Notre Dame photo? He has the heft!

I seem to be having trouble keeping the link to the picture alive - hope it works this time

Greg, thanks for the addresses.