Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official NFL HOF autograph set thread???

Comments

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Jim,

Could you help me find out whether the following five players, included in the 1951 Topps Magic set, are still alive?

Arnold Burwitz
    Mike Googins
    Zack Jordan
    Clyde Pickard
    Bill Putich

Thanks in advance.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    Greg, i'll work on it. Do you have birth dates for any of them?

Here is my latest pick-up. Tony Latone letter and an Izzy Weinstock signed photo. 2 that I have wanted for quite some time.

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
  • Options
    Here are five new pick ups from Mike Tavanner plus the Bednarik rc that I just got signed. It's too bad that Chuck had to use the worst f'ing marker in his house to sign it.

Frank

Eat you heart out!

Rgs,

Greg M.

Also, below is the signed Unitas card that I bought myself for X-mas from Jack Wallin:

References:
  • Options
    Frank

Eat you heart out!

Those 97 Legends look great. I did the pricing on those for Mike a few weeks ago. I'm sure he gave you a good deal. I'm trying to add 4 new 97 legends to my set tonight. Dorsett, Bradshaw, Butkus (which is a 10) and the extremely rare, should not exist F. Dean.image
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Nice Bednarik... I specifically requested he sign mine in ballpoint pen and he did... Took me ahwile to figure out the HOF '69, but learned that since it's his U of Penn card, that is his College HOF induction year. Just wish I had been able to send a nicer example. But, hoping I'll be able to upgrade soon...

• Options
    Jim,

I like your new pick ups..congrats. The approximate birth years are:

Arnold Burwitz - 1930
    Mike Googins - 1930
    Zack Jordan - 1930
    Clyde Pickard - 1930
    Bill Putich - 1931

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    I recently started this set (Football - Hall of Fame Sets Pro Football Hall of Fame Players/Coaches/Admin Autographs) and have experienced a few problems adding cards that I thought would qualify. I understand that blue PSA/DNA flips will not qualify but I thought red flips would. The problems I am experiencing are that some of my autoed cards either don't show as PSA/DNA certified on the PSA database or show up as autoed but not qualifying for this set but do for other PSA autograph sets. I'm thinking that this may be a database problem that will have to be addressed by the registry personnel but it sure seems strange that there are so many cards I have aren't qualifying. All the cards I am trying to add are graded authentic rather than a number grade. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    David
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them-Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    request the cards to be added to the set, using the link in your set page. they need to assign your cert number to the spec number for the card slot.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Yeah...That's what I thought. I was concerned that with the PSA/DNA red flip blue flip thing that they might not qualify for this set. If I understand it correctly the PSA/DNA label used to be red and was recently changed to blue. Is there any way to tell the difference in one of those verses a regular red psa label? And do all those red labels qualify for this set?
    Thanks in Advance
    David
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them-Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    I want to send a card to Ralph Wilson to sign, but I'm having so trouble. I can't seem to find anything besides a odd-ball playing card with him featured. Assuming he eventually gets elected to Hall, would I be able to add a card like this to my registry set? Should I try and find a Bills Team card or something else?
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Options
    team cards would work. i just picked up a hockey card with last years winter classic at Ralph Wilson Stadium to send off for him to sign. I assume you are planning on sending it to the Bills?
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>team cards would work. i just picked up a hockey card with last years winter classic at Ralph Wilson Stadium to send off for him to sign. I assume you are planning on sending it to the Bills? >>

I've had Ralph Wilson sign team cards in the past, however he hasn't responded to 2 requests that I sent; 1 last May and the other last Sept. He may not be signing anymore.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Shoot!!! That's good to know though. I've put off these requests too long and I need to check and make sure all these guys are still signing.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Hey guys,

By recent accounts, Ralph Wilson stopped signing in the past year or so. That's why I went ahead and picked up a signed business card on E-bay last week. I figured it was a decent deal for less than $10 and will try to upgrade later. Good luck though...I hope you pick one up.

Ken
  • Options

<< <i>Hey guys,

By recent accounts, Ralph Wilson stopped signing in the past year or so. That's why I went ahead and picked up a signed business card on E-bay last week. I figured it was a decent deal for less than $10 and will try to upgrade later. Good luck though...I hope you pick one up.

Ken >>

Ken,

On Sportscollectors.net, Wilson has signed only once since Fall of 2007. Of course, the one request that he granted was in between both of my failed attempts image

References:
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭
    This years inductees

Bob Hayes
    Rod Woodson
    Derrick Thomas
    Ralph Wilson Jr
    Randall McDaniel
    Bruce Smith
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    I just wanted the announcement. I'm really surprised that Cris Carter didn't make it! Plus, I think Humphrey's chances were hurt by the election of Bruce Smith and Derrick Thomas. Overall, a great class!

I'm bummed that Kuech was overlooked...off he goes to the senior committee.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    The Senior Committee has to get it together!
  • Options
    Hello All,
    I just got home from work and had DVR'd the press conference and just watched it. What about Bob Hayes sister reading a letter that he wrote before he died, that she was to read in case he was ever elected !!!!! I was crying watching her read it. UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Options
    The letter is dated Oct. 29, 1999, and signed by Bob Hayes. He handed it to his sister Lucille Hester and asked her to read it in the event he was elected.

Bob Hayes HOF letter:

I would like to thank everyone who supported me to get into the NFL Hall of Fame. Thank the Dallas Cowboy organization, all of my teammates and everyone who played for the Cowboys. Thank the San Francisco 49ers too.

Thank the fans from all around the country and the world. Thank the committee who voted for me and also some who may not have. Thank mother and my family. Thank Roger Staubach and tell all my teammates I love them. Thank the Pro Football Hall of Fame, all the NFL teams and players, Florida A&M University.

Thank you to everyone who attended Matthew Gilbert High School. Thank everyone in Jacksonville and Florida and everyone especially on the East Side of Jacksonville, where we were raised. Thank everyone in the city of Dallas, and the state of Texas, and just thank everyone in the whole world. I love you all.

[Signed]
    Bob Hayes.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    wrong thread
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting - that's quite moving.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    If anyone has an extra signed Ralph Wilson card for sale, please let me know.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>If anyone has an extra signed Ralph Wilson card for sale, please let me know. >>

How much? What card? Interested...
  • Options
    Scott,

You must be speed reading tonight:}.

Ken
  • Options

<< <i>If anyone has an extra signed Ralph Wilson card for sale, please let me know. >>

I sold my extra to Frank last year. I have 3 requests out to Mr. Wilson...we'll see if I hear back. I do have a signed business card of his...which I may sell.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    I sold my extra to Frank last year.

And it was much appreciatedimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    Frank,

It's the least I can do for you. Another one knocked off today!!! I'm now down to 17 I think...

Order #20262569 / Submission #4647345
    Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type Country
    1 1 14165799 EXCELLENT 5 1965 PHILADELPHIA 77 HENRY JORDAN PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US
    Total Items: 1
    Date Received: 1/7/2009
    Date Shipped: N/A
    Order Status: OK

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    hopefully topps gets those stickers off to Mr. Wilson soon. That we he can be in next years HOF auto set. Which would provide more auto'd cards for us, since he has slowed his TTM signings.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Jay,

Are the Topps HOF cards signed on card? I hope so. At least Ralph Wilson is still able to sign. He may be 88 or 89, but I saw him on TV last year in the owner's box and he still looked spry.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Scott,

You must be speed reading tonight:}.

Ken >>

Yeah, it's convenient to leave a few words out. It gives one hope... image

Anyway, I don't have a problem paying atten . . . OH!!! Look, a squirrell!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Frank,

It's the least I can do for you. Another one knocked off today!!! I'm now down to 17 I think...

Order #20262569 / Submission #4647345
    Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type Country
    1 1 14165799 EXCELLENT 5 1965 PHILADELPHIA 77 HENRY JORDAN PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US
    Total Items: 1
    Date Received: 1/7/2009
    Date Shipped: N/A
    Order Status: OK

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Congrats on the Jordan! I'm glad you can finally add it to your set!

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Thanks Reese. I should have it back from PSA any day..I can't wait! I added a scan of my Lyman to the registry.

Anything new w/ anyone?

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    I got my PSA/DNA sub back. Hope to have scans soon to share.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Anyone have 5K I could borrow so I could buy this from CJ. I wonder what this would bring in on a normal auction? I would think more like $1200-1300.

Steve Owen 2002 Legendary Cuts
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone have 5K I could borrow so I could buy this from CJ. I wonder what this would bring in on a normal auction? I would think more like $1200-1300.

Steve Owen 2002 Legendary Cuts >>

Reese,

I saw the same auction this morning. He's dreaming on the Owen and Turk Edwards cut auto's. In an online auction, I bet they would see for $1000 to $1500 each... $5k is crazy!

CJ just listed a 1957 Topps Chuck Drazenovich and Gene Brito! Brito died in 1965 and is extremely tough to find. I bought a DIFFERENT 1957 Topps Gene Brito from CJ 2 years ago that's now slabbed. How in the name of god does CJ find two Gene Brito's? It just doesn't seem plausible.

I noticed that CJ also listed a signed 1965 Topps Joe Namath and Willie Brown.... Yeah....

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Greg,

Does Namath typically refuse to sign his rookie card? Just curious why you are skeptical on that one since he is living and a pretty good signer from what I can tell. Now, if you are talking about the price....$4K does seem pretty insane to me. Thanks.

Ken
  • Options

<< <i>Greg,

Does Namath typically refuse to sign his rookie card? Just curious why you are skeptical on that one since he is living and a pretty good signer from what I can tell. Now, if you are talking about the price....$4K does seem pretty insane to me. Thanks.

Ken >>

Ken,

Namath will sign his rookie card (unlike Art Monk), however I get so sick and tired of the impossible cards that CJ constantly has for sale. It's possible the auto'd Namath rc is real (I didn't take a close look), however he somehow sources more rare/impossible auto'd cards than all the other top dealers combined. Let's see - he currently has a 1957 Gene Brito and 1955 Topps AA Benny Friedman for sale and in the past 2 years has sold/tried to sell a 61 Nu Scoops Ernie Davis, 1955 Topps AA Bruce Smith, Tom Harmon and Davey O'Brien, 1959 Topps Dan Reeves, 1969 Topps Brian Piccolo, 1959 Topps Gene Brito, 1961 Fleer Gene Lipscomb, 1967 Phill Dan Reeves, 1966 Philly George Preson Marshall (many of which I personally know didn't pass PSA/DNA quick opinion or in depth review)...the list goes on. I personally have been screwed to the tune of $1500 by that lying sack of sh*t.

What's deceiving is that he sells tons of lower priced "good" autographs but his rare/impossible autographs are likely 80%+ bad. I still can't figure out whether he knowingly buys bad autographs or is completely ignorant (which is no excuse if he is a full time dealer).

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone have 5K I could borrow so I could buy this from CJ. I wonder what this would bring in on a normal auction? I would think more like $1200-1300.

Hey Reese,
    I swear, even though we have never, ( as yet ) met, I know that if I had it, you would be good for it. I would lend it to you. The thing is, I am still trying to figure out where I am going to get the $1,500.00 that I currently owe to Huggins and Scott. I know I will I will get the $$, but it won't be easy. I just won the 23 autograph lot that had the TLS from Jim Finks on Chicago Bears stationary, the 3 x 5 of Joe Guyon, the Link Lyman cut auto and the BIG prize that is the "Curly" Lambeau cut. Gets me down to 8, plus I have two separate deals in the works for two more.
    Rocke

Steve Owen 2002 Legendary Cuts >>

WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Options
    I would LOVE that Steve Owen.....that would drop me to needing 16...arghhh..

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Rocke I was totally kidding, but thank you for your kind words! I don't think I could ever dish out $5K for a signature, regardless of who it is. Congrats on the lot! With the addition of Lambeau, who do you still need?
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Regarding Steve Owen, Greg, you're looking for him on a card, right, not a cut or sheet?
  • Options
    Hey guys,

My e-bay searches have not turned up much on these guys recently that interested me, can you please let me know if you come across anything signed or have anything to offer?

Hunk Anderson
    Frank Cope
    Russ Letlow
    Alan Ameche
    Jim Crowley
    Grantland Rice
    Billy Vessels
    Gene Ronzani

I am interested in 3X5's, photos, cards, oddball stuff, etc. Thanks!

Ken

• Options

<< <i>Regarding Steve Owen, Greg, you're looking for him on a card, right, not a cut or sheet? >>

Yep - on a 1952 Bowman Large/Small or Legendary Cuts card... Do you have one?

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Hey guys,

My e-bay searches have not turned up much on these guys recently that interested me, can you please let me know if you come across anything signed or have anything to offer?

Hunk Anderson
    Frank Cope
    Russ Letlow
    Alan Ameche
    Jim Crowley
    Grantland Rice
    Billy Vessels
    Gene Ronzani

Ken >>

Although not for sale, I have a signed 1977 Touchdown Hunk Anderson and 1959 Topps Alan Ameche. I also have a signed 1956 Topps Archive Billy Vessels that I would definately sell if I can find a signed 57 Topps Vessels.

Good luck on the rest of the guys. I don't think any of them have cards...do they?

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Greg,

That's awesome, I do know one dealer who has a 77 Touchdown Hunk Anderson for sale, but have not seen much else for him. Gene Ronzani has a 1952 Bowman Large. I have it a little easier then you guys as I collect almost anything, not just cards. Thanks.

Ken
  • Options
    Greg,

Doh, kind of forgot to mention that Jim Crowley is on the 1955 Topps All-American "Four Horseman" card:}.

Ken
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Regarding Steve Owen, Greg, you're looking for him on a card, right, not a cut or sheet? >>

Yep - on a 1952 Bowman Large/Small or Legendary Cuts card... Do you have one?
    Rgs, Greg M. >>

I don't have a Steve Owen on a card - I have progams, photos, and sheets and a book where he's signed along with other players, but no cards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My e-bay searches have not turned up much on these guys recently that interested me, can you please let me know if you come across anything signed or have anything to offer?
    Hunk Anderson
    Frank Cope
    Russ Letlow
    Alan Ameche
    Jim Crowley
    Grantland Rice
    Billy Vessels
    Gene Ronzani
    Ken >>

This Link will take you to a book for sale signed by Rice - although I picked up a diffrent signed book of his on eBay for less.
  • Options
    Could someone post comparative scans of the autographs of Dan Reeves the owner and Dan Reeves the coach - thanks