Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1975 Topps Baseball Collectors Thread

12345679»

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Anyone working on this set? Seems like it gets no love compared to the minis.
    I'm going to rejoin collectors club and submit some 75's. I have about 60-70 I want to get graded. >>

I don't know. Seems like prices for the regular 75 set have still remained pretty strong. I know I've lost out on just about every mid to low ranged pop 9 i've tried to bid for in the past few months.
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    A few cards I pulled from my raw set. What do you think they will grade? imageimageimage
  • Options
    imageimage
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    8 - claudell and milbourne

8oc - Allen

8pd - Johnson

9 - Carroll

Good luck with the grades.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    David,

Thanks. I was wondering on the Johnson to what extent it could get a pd.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CW may also get PD due to snow, but has a shot at an 8.

Agree with PD on Johnson~too much stray black ink, as well as OC on Allen (and possibly Milbourne).

Carroll looks very nice~I would say 8.5 with shot at a 9.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck if you send them in. I just got several back and these are just four I thought might get a 9 grade.

• Options
    I got 6 psa 9's on this submission and 12 high quality psa 8's that are all going in my 75 registry set.

• Options
    BTW- on the Ed Sprague I posted and the Larry Bowa on the previous post, there is no loss of red color on the bottom corners. For some reason my scanner makes it seem like there is.
  • Options
    SmokieSmokie Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    Nice job Darin
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    You guys remember how I had to sell my 1975 set a few years back? Well in about a week or so I'll finally get the chance to not only get another one done but also finish up the last few remaining PSA 7's I need for 1976/1977 and PSA 8's for 1978/1979. Surely you guys got some PSA 7's (NQ of course) of these looking for a good home?

Brett RC, Yount RC, Ryan, Aaron, Aaron HL, Rose, Schmidt, Rice RC, Lynn RC,

1976 TOPPS (PSA 7)
    001 Hank Aaron RB
    160 Dave Winfield
    345 Babe Ruth ATG
    341 Lou Gehrig ATG
    346 Ty Cobb ATG
    347 Ted Williams ATG
    500 Reggie Jackson

1977 TOPPS (PSA 7)
    144 Bruce Sutter RC
    150 Tom Seaver
    450 Pete Rose
    473 Andre Dawson RC
    476 Dale Murphy RC

1978 TOPPS (PSA 8)
    036 Eddie Murray RC
    707 Molitor/Trammell RC
    006 Nolan Ryan RB
    100 George Brett
    200 Reggie Jackson
    360 Mike Schmidt
    700 Johnny Bench

1979 TOPPS (PSA 8)
    116 Ozzie Smith RC
    024 Paul Molitor
    330 George Brett
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Some recent additions to my 75 set.

• Options
    I think I'd resubmit that Aaron PSA 8
  • Options
    Thanks smokie, I might do that sometime.
    I definitely think it could bump to 8.5, I'm not sure about a 9.
    My scans aren't the greatest, but I'm not sure the corners are sharp enough to get a 9.

Also right above Aaron's cap there's a little red spot, its not that much of a distraction to me
    and its not all that noticeable, but that could keep it out of a 9 holder.
    But I have seen 75 cards that have two noticeable fisheyes that are PSA 9's, so I'm not sure.
  • Options
    A bump for Topps masterpiece set, the 1975 baseball set.
    Found a nice Jim Palmer psa 9, which leaves me only two cards short
    of completing the 1975 HOF set.
  • Options
    A few recent additions to my 75 set.

• Options
    ZillaZilla Posts: 85 ✭✭
    Beautiful 10's there Darin. I'm working on the last 3 cards to finish my PSA 9 set. Love the 75's.
  • Options
    Thanks Zilla. Great accomplishment to do the set in all 9's, because I've seen
    how tough the competition for the low pop 9's are on ebay. A couple weeks ago a
    PSA 9 Tanana sold on ebay for $725!
    My only regret is a few years ago I submitted a Brett card to PSA and it got a 9,
    and I sold it for $500. I figured eventually I would buy another 9 sometime to replace it,
    now the price has exploded.LOL.

Love the 75's too, thanks for posting. If you can you should scan some of your cards
    and post them here. I would love to see them.
  • Options
    Darin, I actually paid about $1,200 for my Tanana a few years back. I think it was a pop 9 at the time. Yea, tough break on the Brett. I actually collect that card (tryinging to get one for every hit he had), and it's getting expensive to even get 8's anymore. So I've been settling for 4-7's now. I wish I could post some stuff for you to see, but I'm actually living in China right now, and all my cards are back in the US. If I remember though, I'll post some pics when I go back home for Christmas.
  • Options
    And I thought I had a lot of Brett rookie cards. I'm up to 15 now, mostly psa 7-8's, one 8.5 which is my highest.
    When I see a really nice example on ebay its really tough for me not to bid on it.
    Actually not good as far as trying to complete my 75 set, as that money could be used on other cards.LOL.

• Options
    Yea, nice looking Brett's on eBay are like a drug to me. Lol. Especially the OPC's. Luckily, I picked up a few 9's before the explosion. I got my last 9 from Jeff Foy of Card Country a few years back for $800. Can't see spending $3K or more now, but if one of the OPC PSA 10's comes up, I might have to break open the piggy bank. Anyways, good luck with your set, and thanks for talking cards with me. Not too much interest in China. Lol.
  • Options
    Nice pick ups Darin. Do you have your set on the registry.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Smokie
    Nice pick ups Darin. Do you have your set on the registry.

Yes, I've got a long way to go. Only about 47% complete. Slowly working on it.
  • Options
    I also picked up a psa 9 Brett from Jeff at that same show you did. I remember that that card shot up to $2k two months or so after and hasn't looked back. Still have the Brett in my Registry set.

Scott
    Buying 75 Topps Reg. Size PSA 9
    1975 Topps Registry Set "Scott's 75 Topps Set"
  • Options
    Hi all, first post under my new name (use to post under dcaudle70 but couldn't recover password). Have started working on this set once again as it has always been my favorite for several reasons, one being it was the first year I bought packs as a kid. Any active collectors right now? Any thoughts on the set since I last was active about 3- years ago? Values about the same or less? Tanana and McEnaney still the tough ones? I see on the set registry some have been retired but are not current. Does that mean the owners break them up or sell them when that happens? Ebay still the best source for PSA 9's?
  • Options
    Sorry double post
  • Options
    Originally posted by: dcaudle86
    Hi all, first post under my new name (use to post under dcaudle70 but couldn't recover password). Have started working on this set once again as it has always been my favorite for several reasons, one being it was the first year I bought packs as a kid. Any active collectors right now? Any thoughts on the set since I last was active about 3- years ago? Values about the same or less? Tanana and McEnaney still the tough ones? I see on the set registry some have been retired but are not current. Does that mean the owners break them up or sell them when that happens? Ebay still the best source for PSA 9's?

I'm semi-active building the set. Have a lot of other projects I'm working on but
    the 1975 topps set is my favorite. Tanana and McEnaney are still tough in PSA 9, I
    would put Guisti up there with them along with a few others. Probably the biggest change
    from 3 years ago are the values on the Brett and Yount rookies are a lot higher, also the
    Hank Aaron #660. Ebay is still a good source for PSA 9's, 4 sharp corners still has plenty
    of inventory, I just pick and choose the nice looking, well centered ones if their price is
    right. PWCC usually has quite a few 75's in their auctions, mostly star cards but sometimes
    they have commons.
    Welcome back and good luck building the set!

• Options
    Lot of nice 9's put up on eBay by PWCC last night. Too rich for me but would love one of those 2 Brett's.
  • Options
    On another note there is a eBay seller "sewall" who has been selling a lot of raw 75's from vending boxes it appears. Just wondering if anyone here has bought any and can comment on them. I bought one small lot to check out and will receive tonight. The weird thing is he has several lots all around 110-125 cards and they are the same cards in every lot he has confirmed. It's like he only has access to part of the print run or something. Is he just selling the very common ones and doing something else with the tougher ones?
  • Options
    To have a chance at a PSA 9 should a card look perfect to the naked eye? In other words if you can see even the slightest flaw, is it going to come back at best a 8? Speaking only of 1975 Topps here. Have roughly 20 very low 1975 Topps singles I want to submit and having never sent before am wondering if I am wasting time thinking they might get some 9's in the group. Thanks!
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭
    So do count the 1975 topps hand cuts as the set or will u in the future ?
  • Options

Anybody know whose busted PSA 9 set is going up on Ebay? Lot of scarce cards hitting all at once.

• Options

Anyone actively working on this set here?

• Options

Yes

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actively? That depends on your definition. I'm no longer aggressively working on this set, for sure. I've already completed one set in 8+, and on a whim, entered all of my extra acquisitions and upgraded cards as a second set that is now almost 75 percent complete. I am at the moment indifferent as to whether or not I'll take it all the way to the end.

I will probably always and forever pause to take a look whenever I see 75s for sale on eBay, but I have so many other projects going on that I currently only bid or BIN under certain criteria. Either it has to be an extremely good price for a HOF or low pop toughie, or it has to be a card that BOTH upgrades my first set, and the bumped card then fills a hole in the second set. I think I've purchased less than 5 in the last 6 months.

• Options

I've noticed prices for the '75s seem to have slumped a little since the summer, while some of the other '70s sets have faired better, especially the '72s. It was probably due for a correction, as the '75s had a nice little run up over the past several years. Now if we could only see a pop from the '73s....

• Options

I was working on the set, but decided to just collect the HOF cards in the 75 set.
    Started wondering what I was doing with so many common PSA 9's when I could be
    spending that money on star cards.
    I still love the set though, just takes a lot of time and effort to complete a 660 card set.