Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• nm
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    My comp just died again, so I will postmy T3 cy young when I get it fixed image
  • hey snorto--

I'll flip ya for that Sanders!

• #3/25

I think I have all of the HOFers and Futurer HOFers that were made from this set now.

• zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Picked this up from a friend today who's wife works where he did a signing last week promoting his new cigar line:

El Tiante

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

that is a nice card. Congrats.
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies

Just picked this '52 Jethroe up off of ebay for a pretty decent price for such a great looking card. Not a bad ebay scan either image

I had picked this Spahn up in good faith that the auto was real. It looked consistent with others and I knew that Spahn was a great signer while living so took a chance on it. Reese33 helped me out and shipped it off to psa for authentication purposes. Thanks a lot man! Cost a little more since it's considered a tall boy but it's the only Spahn Red Man tobacco card that I've ever seen autographed as well as one of his only auto's with the inscription "363 wins" added, so it's WELL worth it all.

• Sweet Spahnie, Goot... what's the story on the Sam Jethroe cards? Braves love or is he a specific player you like? And if the latter, why do you like him? (I've honestly never heard of him... of course, that's true of most 50's era players).
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase

• << <i>Sweet Spahnie, Goot... what's the story on the Sam Jethroe cards? Braves love or is he a specific player you like? And if the latter, why do you like him? (I've honestly never heard of him... of course, that's true of most 50's era players). >>

Thanks. If you turn back a few pages in this thread, you'll see a really nice '53 Jethroe that's autographed.

As for Jethroe, it started out as Braves love but kind of evolved into a mini player collection I'm going to try and do. He's one of the all time Negro League greats, winning MVP awards, batting titles (hit .393) and leading his team to a championship one year. After years of Negro League success, he signed with Brooklyn in '48. After a couple of years in the minor leagues, he eventually signed with the Boston Braves and became the first ever African American to put on a Braves uniform. First year in the league, at age 32, he hits 18 hrs and leads the league in SBs, winning the Rookie of the Year. He then finished 1st in steals in '51 and 2nd in '52. By this time he was about 35 years old and his career started to take a downward turn. He was sold to the Pirates, who were then owned by the man who orginally signed him Branch Rickey, in '54 but only played a few games. He then retired. Later on he filed a lawsuit against MLB about pension payments that weren't being made to Negro Leaguers that didn't qualify because their careers were ruined by the discrimination of MLB and the nation.

So overall I think it's just a pretty neat story. Great player from the Negro Leagues, later becomes the first ever African American to play for my favorite team, breaks into the league with tremendous success and becomes a bit of an activist for his former teammates and colleagues.

Here are some nice quotes about him.....

He was the fastest human being I've ever seen, said the Dodgers' Don
    Newcombe, the first outstanding black pitcher in the majors and Jethroe's
    onetime teammate on the Dodgers' Montreal Royals farm team, for whom Jethroe
    stole 89 bases in 1949.

When he came to bat, the infield would have to come in a few steps or
    you'd never throw him out, remembered Buck O'Neil, who played against
    Jethroe while with the Negro leagues' Kansas City Monarchs.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx for the read Goot.

Let's hear it for the Berk cards!

As usual - this thread has some really great stuff.

hofauto is a buying machine! Congratulations on some of the nicest stuff here - very enjoyable.

Thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Another Exhibit-

• Thanks for the heads-up on Jethroe, Goot. My knowledge of the Negro Leagues pretty much tops out with Satchel Paige, Buck O'Neil, and Jackie Robinson, so it's nice to add another name to my brain's file cabinet. I really should head down to KC and visit the Negro Leagues museum sometime. I've been wanting to...
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Mail was good to me today

Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
    And the big dog

Bought this on ebay last Thursday (before he got sick) and got it today

• Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    I hope to post some Berk beaters shortly. Great, simple set.

imageimage

• << <i>Bought this on ebay last Thursday (before he got sick) and got it today

>>

WOW, nice pick up Zep. What set is that from, '08 UD Heroes?

I picked up a Tommy Holmes '49 Bowman card a while back and the day after I got it in the mail, he passed away. It's amazing how timing works out sometimes.
    Thanks Goot - It's 2005 UD Classic Seasons from what the listing said. Never heard of the set as I wasn't collecting in 05. I was looking for a good card to help fill my 11 card display and was pretty happy to find that one. Got 2 to go before I can hang it up.

• << <i>Thanks Goot - It's 2005 UD Classic Seasons from what the listing said. Never heard of the set as I wasn't collecting in 05. I was looking for a good card to help fill my 11 card display and was pretty happy to find that one. Got 2 to go before I can hang it up. >>

Ah, never heard of that set before either. Nice card lookin card though!
  • Just got Charlie Neal for my 1960 Topps collection....

• Nice cards. I always enjoy looking at the variety of collections on this board. Here are some recent acquisitions I picked up in a trade:

imageimage
  • elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Packman - love those Connie Macks, then again I am biased towards oddball items. One of these days I am going to piece together all the vintage Topps football insert sets.

Speaking of football, the baseball guys are dominating this thread as of late, so let me add some love for football with my highlights from the week starting off with a couple HOF rookies for my 1955 TAA and 1948 Leaf sets:

And a few more recent items... a Boston Breakers (USFL) unused ticket, 2000 Pros & Prospects Dan Marino Signature Piece, and 1996 Collectors Edge Cowboybilia Hail Mary insert autographed by Roger Staubach & Drew Pearson (picked up on eBay from a fellow board member even!):

Football season finally starts in 2 weeks!

Snorto~
  • Haven't added anything to this thread in a while so this is basically a few months worth of mail. I have to thank Digicat for the Cepeda. Terrific seller btw !

Im working on Cowboy team sets and the signed Romo is still in the packaging but will be hanging down in the basement shortly. I highly recommend planetframe on Ebay if your looking to get jerseys framed. I just sent my Emmitt and Aikman signed jerseys to them and can't wait to see how they look. The Emmitt cap was a cheaper alternative than a signed card or helmet lol

Dave
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow Dave! Great stuff. Can I come move in now?

• Anytime your up this way Matt you and the fam are more than welcome image

However if you and Tonya have anymore kids you'll have to give me time to add on to the house first !

Dave

• Speaking of football, the baseball guys are dominating this thread as of late, so let me add some love for football with my highlights from the week starting off with a couple HOF rookies for my 1955 TAA and 1948 Leaf sets:

Hey you might need some company in that Stanford backfield ... so cheers - PM sent

[URL=http://imageshack.us]image[/URL]

Speaking of football, the baseball guys are dominating this thread as of late, so let me add some love for football with my highlights from the week starting off with a couple HOF rookies for my 1955 TAA and 1948 Leaf sets
    So much great stuff to look at but...

I gotta say something about David's Koufax - it's a BLAZER!!!!!

Very nice pickup! Thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • heres the highlights of my collection. not as nice as some of the others in this thread
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Packman, That Koufax is stunning. Congrats on some great pick-ups!
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I agree that 55 Koufax is a blazer.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭
    55 Koufax

WOW!!!!!!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

an upgrade for my AA set
    7.5 a 1 of 1 for now
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

Fred

Fred

Wow, are you going to cross that Koufax RC over?
  • Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Top notch stuff, and WOW on the Koufax.
    Not the prettiest T3 on the block - my addition...

Pat Moran with a Turkey Red Ad back:

I'm now at 22% - got a long way to go.

Thanx for viewing,
    mike
    Mike
  • That is a nice '55 All American. If I ever work on a football set, it will be the '55 All American set. I love college football and find that set interesting.

Mike: I tried putting the T3 set together. However, my lack of focus got the best of me and I moved on to other projects. I enjoy seeing your progress.

Thank you for the comments on the Koufax. I really like the card. The scan does not do it justice. The color and gloss are stunning. The only imperfection that I see on the card is a slight tilt of the image that makes it a little off center left to right. I have no plans on crossing it over to PSA. I like the SGC holder and how it frames the card.
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Just snagged this on eBay for a song:

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Nice Thomas there! That's also probably the only way to make something from 1990 Score collectable... have 'em autographed!
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Just a nice early signature example. I'm slowly working toward having one of each of his big five rookies in early signed and slabbed form.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com