Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Some new additions (recent National subs/resubs) and a couple of purchases towards my HOF (and Future) RC and 1948 Leaf sets.

• Options

<< <i>Some new additions (recent National subs/resubs) and a couple of purchases towards my HOF (and Future) RC and 1948 Leaf sets.

image >>

Nice cards Scott. Most look much better then their grades.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just snagged this on eBay for a song:

image >>

Very nice pick up! He's one of my favorites all thru the 90s.

What was the song? Let me guess...

867-5309?

Thanx for sharing - I can't believe I don't have his sig - gotta get it.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    Old timers War Bonds all star game pgm. Can you name 'em all?

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Top Row Harry Heilman, Ed Plank, Mickey Cochrane, Connie Mack, Walter Johnson, Roger Hornsby
    Bottom Row: Honus Wagner, Carl Hubbel, Babe Ruth, Ted Lyons, Frank Chance?
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    War Bonds All-Star Team photo. On August 26, 1943, Held at the Polo Grounds in front of 38,000 fans, the three New York teams combined as the War Bond All-Stars against an Army all-star line-up that featured Slaughter, Hank Greenberg and Sid Hudson. $800,000.00 was raised and The War Bond All-Stars won 5 to 2!

"Top Row: Harry Heilman, Ed Plank, Mickey Cochrane, Connie Mack, Walter Johnson, Roger Hornsby

Bottom Row: Honus Wagner, Carl Hubbel, Babe Ruth, Ted Lyons, Frank Chance?"

You caught a few and I believe you mislabeled WoJo. Incidentally, these old workhorses are all HOFs.

Left to right,
    Back row: ___Bos___, ___Philly___, ___NYG___, Connie Mack, Umpire "Red" Murray, ___St L___.

Front row: Hans Wagner, ___NYG___, Babe Ruth, ___ Wash___, ___ Bos___.

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice pick up! He's one of my favorites all thru the 90s.

What was the song? Let me guess...

867-5309?

Thanx for sharing - I can't believe I don't have his sig - gotta get it.
    mike >>

Thanks Mike. I'm on a quest to find early signature examples of each of his big 5 rookies. He's gotten really sloppy over the years. I really don't collect anything he's signed after 1997. I'll pick the newer examples up if they fall into my lap or it's one of those "can't say no" situations, but I don't seek them out.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Top Left to Right
    ?????, Eddie Collins, Cochrane, Mack, Klem (or Evans) , ?????, Sisler
    Wagner, Ott, Ruth, Johnson, Lajoie
  • Options

<< <i>Top Left to Right
    ?????, Eddie Collins, Cochrane, Mack, Klem (or Evans) , ?????, Sisler
    Wagner, Ott, Ruth, Johnson, Lajoie >>

Not too Shabby Oak, Some hints added.

Left to right,
    Back row: ___?Bos(Had a landmark in pre-1934 Fenway named for him)___, Eddie Collins, __?NYG (Invented shin guards for catchers)__, Connie Mack, Umpire Bill Klem, "Red" Murray, Sisler

Front row: Hans Wagner, ___?NYG(Played four sports for Fordham University___, Walter Johnson, ___? Bos(Still owns the record for most career doubles)___.

• Options
    The guy next to Johnson isn't Lajoie?? I would have lost money on that one.

He's wearing a Cleveland uniform, was he better known with Red Sox?

Ugh, Lombardi's the catcher.
  • Options
    page turn
  • Options
    no page turn??
  • Options
    I've found that if you want to see the next page, a good way to do so is to add 1 to the number displayed in the address bar.

Like, right now, for me it says:

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=414190&STARTPAGE=299

But if I knew there was another page and it wasn't bringing me to it, I'd change it to:

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=414190&STARTPAGE=300

Works fairly often, and means I don't post a million "page turn?" messages.
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭
    eBay purchase, will look nice next to my Bettis baseball

TTM auto

also got a IC back signed by actor/comic Kevin Pollack

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options

<< <i>
    Works fairly often, and means I don't post a million "page turn?" messages. >>

Two or a million
  • Options
    page turn?

Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    A good day today...

The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    Stunning Clemente !!! Great centering !
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding Ladder's 1943 photo, here are my guesses:

Top row:

Unknown, Eddie Collins, Roger Bresnahan, Connie Mack, Bill Klem, Unknown, George Sisler

Bottom row:

Honus Wagner, Mel Ott, Babe Ruth, Walter Johnson, Tris Speaker

Steve
  • Options
    Beautiful '55 Clemente...my current dream card.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Very, very nice Ackley rookie as well. image
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    ACKLEY'S MONO IS SHOCKING every time I see it
  • Options
    Looks Like Ill have some fun tonight...Just arrived from BBCE....

• Options
    Scott

That Jim Taylor is pure perfection!

LD7 - I'm a sucker for programs - and the pic is sweet - good pickup.

Incredible Carlton RC!!!! IJLC - did you pick it up on ebay? Good luck on the rip tonite! Was the Clemente a recent pickup? Or a sub/bump? Great stuff - completing my 52 baseball emblem set pales in comparison to what you've posted - I'll chartreuse with envy!
    Thanx for sharing.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

The clemente and carlton were bought off ebay just recently.

Thanks for asking..

IJLC
  • Options
    Nice Carlton RC! I have 0.5 envy on your Clemente RC congrats.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Terrific monobrow on that Ackey rookie! Nice Carlton too image

• Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Great stuff on here guys. The bar keeps getting raised. I have no intention of raising the bar but wanted to share my latest addition to my Perez collection.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    Superb card Kevin.

Definitely one of my favorites due to the black borders - I got a Reggie card that had way too much chipping - tho graded an 8 - I was lucky that they took it back - it was Greg Manning in the old days.

Thanx for sharing
    mike

Mike
  • Options
    Navarro, do you have this one already?
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Won this one, have been getting into this set lately:

• Options
  • Options
    Kirk - that care is perfect! I've got a vending of 87T - it's open but have never touched them - maybe I'll try and put a set together one snowy day? I have a fact. set somewhere.

Ld7 - I can always appreciate a nice B. Ross card - I just can't see how Ben Hogan wound up in there?

Thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Thx Mike, I just thought I should have one golfer in my collection... I don't even like golf., That damn windmill trashes my score everytime.

A few more Berkie *HOFs that I picked up for just a few bucks. *Dominic will be, eventually.
  • Options

<< <i>Thx Mike, I just thought I should have one golfer in my collection >>

I think I was too subtle there.

I was alluding to the fact that NO ONE has ever seen a picture of Berk Ross? image

Nice cards BTW - Kiner looks so young there! I always remembered him for Kiner's Korner after the Mets games.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Ahhh, light dawns on Marblehead! How did I miss your sig line?.. Yea, these are crude images and being colorized didn't help. Wondering if they'd be more or less desirable in B/W.

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Picked this up as part of a trade on Net54 BST:

• Options
    A few of my arrivals this past week starting with a World Football League (WFL) unused playoff ticket from 1974 and a Jimmy Brown Inscriptions auto I hit a bargain BIN on:

Next an upgrade for the 48 Leaf set, an addition to the 50 Bowman set, and an impulse bid that I didn't really expect to hold up but I am glad it did:

Vintage football listing finally seem to be heating up a bit on eBay!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Snorto~
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    I don't collect football, but I think the Red Grange is a sweet card.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    I haven't added to my Willie Mays collection in some time, but I found this PSA 3 too appealing to pass up. It looks just as nice in person, with only a wrinkle from the edge to near his right knee keeping it out of a much more expensive piece of plastic. Personally, I'm thrilled with it just where it is.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    As usual great cards guys and thanks for sharing!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    The best kind of vintage, the kind that looks like it's 3 grades higher than it really is. Nice pickup.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭
    a couple more 55 topps

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    I just got my second ever true 1/1 card. This is from my much beloved 2005 UD Heroes player set.

Interestingly, this one matches nearly exactly the other 1/1 card I have:

I'm not sure why they seem to be different sizes...they're both regular size cards.

Anyway, these are two in my nearly complete player set from the fantastic 2005 UD Heroes set. I'm down to just three cards I need to have a full master set, other than those numbered 1/1. (I have one incoming, so it looks like I'm missing four right now.)

You can check out the full set here: 2005 UD Heroes (and other 2005 cards)
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

AMAZING...YOU FIGURED OUT HOW TO TRAVEL TO THE FUTURE AND SURF GREAT WAVES AT THE BEACH!!!!!!!!!

TELL US HOW YOU DID IT!!!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    Alright fandango, You caught the typo! image
    And there is no way in He11 I could surf like that- (perhaps thirty years ago)

I understand you're upset... Still, this is no reason to shout at those with alzheimers.
  • Options
    Drew

That's an incredible PSA 3 on the Willie!!!! Great eye appeal.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    more eye appeal...

nice pearls