Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

Comments

• Options
    I just added 130 cards ( all psa 9 ) to my 1975 Topps mini set! I moved up to set number 4. I could send in 400 raw cards i have in packs and push up to number 2 or so! image
    live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    I have a quick question. I saw a BVG 9 (subgrades on back) 1972 Killebrew at a show, it didn't have the telltale sheet cut card subgrades. Centering looked nice to me, but was 8.5. Surface was 9.0 and the corners and edges were 9.5s.

What do you think fair price for this card would be and would it cross to a 9?
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a quick question. I saw a BVG 9 (subgrades on back) 1972 Killebrew at a show, it didn't have the telltale sheet cut card subgrades. Centering looked nice to me, but was 8.5. Surface was 9.0 and the corners and edges were 9.5s.

What do you think fair price for this card would be and would it cross to a 9? >>

Would it meet PSA 9 standards as far as centering goes?

Ebay prices for Killebrew #51 PSA 8 $20-$30 PSA 9 $75-$100?
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    hey marz- nice start to the set ! a bunch of tough 9's too. an all psa 9 set is a daunting task! enjoy it and have fun!!
    Whoever said we wash away with the rain ?
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Got my grades back today. I cant get that Vida Blue IA in a 9. Another 8. Did get 2 10's. #621 Commissioners Award and #95 NL Strikeout Leaders which is a POP 1. A handful of 9's including a Mays and a bunch of 8's. Did screw a few up with a few 7's and 6's, which surprised me. I usually dont get 6's.
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    So, Gaspipe, any of these 72s for sale?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Everything is for sale.
  • Options
    I've seen a couple pop up on eBay. But, are the rest available now? Or, will they be on eBay?

There are a few of us salivating....I mean, waiting to hear! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    The new ones wont hit Ebay for a week or two. The 10's and 9's should this weekend. The 8's the week after. Email me in a day or two and I'll give you a list of what came in. I have about 200 more ready to go but there 8's. Some 9's and 7's but majority is 8. I have to see if its worth my while to send them.
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    Gaspipe,

Can we see the whole submission? When did you send them in?

Mike

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    I dropped the group off at the National for PSA to take back with them. Saved $100 on shipping.
  • Options
    UH -oh........seems Arny has been moved back a spot. Seems Larry Mayer has added a bunch of cards to his set. (bbcards4u) I think he has been waiting to add a bunch at the same time.
    Oh well..............

• Options
    EO,
    I did get a 9 you need. #94. rjc012661@aol.com
  • Options
    Whoa! What an update from Larry! Sheesh....tons of 9s and some 10s as well!

With that huge update, even Jami should start to look over his shoulder. That came out of nowhere! image

Oh well, I've got a new challenge on my hands!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    And Larry has yet another high number 10 to add. I forgot to remove one from my registry that he bought from me.

• Options

<< <i>Whoa! What an update from Larry! Sheesh....tons of 9s and some 10s as well!

With that huge update, even Jami should start to look over his shoulder. That came out of nowhere! image

Oh well, I've got a new challenge on my hands! >>

I believe this update is from cards he accumulated over the last 4 or 5 months............it will probably be awhile before there is another update.

• Options
    A bunch of those cards that Larry has added are at least a few months accumulation. Many of them are the cards he has outbid me for.

when the 72 toppsaholic set broke and they were listed on EBAY (under the seller GTTIX) it was almost to the point where i was winning everything i needed, virtually unchallenged, except for larry or glibersher.

another interesting thing about this upgrade is that there are a bunch of "updated" cards NOT "upgraded". in some cases that's a tell tale sign of cards being cracked out of existing holders and resubmitted in hopes of a higher grade ie., a 9 to 10. but when they come back with the same grade and entered to the set under a new cert# they will register as "updated". i don't know if that is the case for sure but i haven't seen Larry "upgrade" within grade too much.

For a long time Larry has been my main competition for 9's and when he outbids me i know i probably should have bid more, but the consolation has usually been that the next one goes to me for less money (or g.libersher)....but i will say that as of late his bids have been very aggressive across the board.

no matter how you slice it ,that's one heck of an addition, probably close to 10 k. if he continues at this pace for a while he could easily be the new # 2.
  • Options
    We all know Larry has very DEEP pockets. (check out his other sets; all 40+ (or more)of them)

• Options
    Larry has been very aggresive lately. Even on my 1955 set, he has been blowing my bids away.

• Options
    Well, just crossed the 70% mark for the set. Thanks to Dave and a little trade of dupes that we made.

That's what I call helping each other out! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Arny, email me at rjc012661@aol.com I have 6 you need.

Bob
  • Options

<< <i>Arny, email me at rjc012661@aol.com I have 6 you need.

Bob >>

Got anything I need?

• Options
    lostdart,
    I struckout on your stuff. Sorry.

bob
  • Options

<< <i>lostdart,
    I struckout on your stuff. Sorry.

bob >>

Thanks for checking.......

• Options
    Alright! I got the Reggie and Nolan Ryan tonight! Although I wasn't ecstatic about the centering on the Ryan, I got it for $109.

I really love that Reggie card. One of my favorites of the set. Now, set is up to 5.26.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    arny - you are on fire! i thought Jami shot up the ranks pretty darn fast, I can't recall seeing such a rapid ascent. nice job!
  • Options
    Thanks Mick.

I've really concentrated on picking up lots of cards at lower price per cards and just did good 'ol fashioned searches everywhere to pick up cards from all avenues possible. I have max bids in my head that I want to pay based on the averages that cards are going for out there and try to not bid any higher than my preset 'limits' that I've determined. I've picked up a few star cards for a lot lower than I originally thought I would have to spend and some low pop cards for surprisingly lower prices. Just have to be sure that you're communicating with anyone and everyone out there.

At any rate, I've still got A LONG WAY to go, but I'm definitely proud of my ascension up to this point. Hopefully I can keep it up and challenge Jami in the near future! For now, just gotta get past Larry (BBCards4U) and that strong update that he did.

But, I love that I'm already past the 70% mark too. Never thought that I'd be at this point this early in the game. Now, the big task ahead is picking up all of those hard to find high #s. I just made a deal with Mike (smallstocks) which will move me up the ranks a bit, but I'm still way behind there. That's the advantage that Dave (Barkus) has on me. Just hope he doesn't find a ton of commons to catch up to my completion percentage! image

This has been great fun and communicating via these boards and the comments from everyone has just kept my enthusiasm going for this set. When you read that folks are simply 'staying tuned' to the thread to see how things are going with our 72 sets, just makes it that much more fun!

Oh well, back to my searching!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Arny,

Great price on that Ryan in spite of centering. I am of the school that an 8 is an 8. If an 8 is perfectly centered then it must have some other flaw. If an 8 is not perfectly centered then is must NOT have any other flaws..............

.......but my humble opinion in this matter is probably not the popular opinion, as everyone wants perfectly centered cards.

But that is the second lowest price I have seen a Ryan go for on Ebay

• Options
    I finally recieved my submission form from PSA for 16 free submissions. Although my raw set is mostly EX-NR there are more then enough cards that are gradable. This is a one shot deal for me. I have a handfull of low-pops that should grade out at 8 or better.
    Since most of the freebies come from Team set registry, I will have to come up with one Tiger, one Met, one Angel etc.

I will have to impose upon someone to send me a dozen card savers that are needed for submisions as I basically have very few and there is no local card shop here in the islands. All of my vintage raw cards are in rigid toploaders and I never had any use for the card savers. I am bidding on some Dave Read cards tonight, if I win any I will impose upon him to send me some for a few extra $.

I did add three low-pops yesterday......Henderson, Padres Rookies and Spiezio......

• Options
    arny- at 70% complete you should still be able to add many cards at a decent pace, some of the larger dealer websites should have a handful of cards you need but you would have to be willing to pay "dealer prices" for cards that will eventually come along for less.
    I've noticed a bunch of newly graded cards where it seems that not too much emphasis has been put on centering, if i recall correctly you won a the horribly centered carew ia a few weeks ago, no way is the centering on that card in line with published standards for a 7 let alone an 8.
    on the other hand , if you looked through your set i'd bet you find a decent amount of 8's that could well be 9's....that la russa card you have could even be 10. There is72 psa 10 reggie cleveland card on ebay right now that i'm pretty sure was once in an 8 holder .

jami- nice pick up's , that padres rookies is a deceptively tough card, the spezio too. I have cs2's if you need them give me a shout.
  • Options
    I dont know about bumping an 8 to a 10! 8 to a 9 maybe. 7 to an 8, OK but 8 to 10. I'll wager it was a different card.
  • Options
    bob- What are willing to wager? I just sent the seller an email asking about the Cleveland. In the spirit of full disclosure, i sold the seller a large lot of super high end 1972 psa 8's not too long ago .

The lot of four as well as the Sutton match the cert#'s i have recorded. When i sold the 8's to him I knew that there was plenty of crack and cross potential and the lot was advertised as such. Since I no longer submit to PSA i figured i'd sell them.

did you mention you had a 72 vida blue IA???

I'll let you know what the seller says.
  • Options
    Arny,
    You and I need to work on our communication. image

I just sold you a 1972 PSA 9 Jenkins on Naxcom. It would have saved us both some dollars for you to buy it directly or work out a trade. I have 3 of them now so I will make sure and pick out a nice one for you.
    View my inventory of PSA Graded Cards at My Ebay Store
  • Options
    I noticed that FabFrank is a buyer again. Are you looking to build a second set? If so, I'd be happy to sell my set and focus on my other sets I need to complete. Offers out there for anyone interested and I have a lot of the tough low pop 8s.
  • Options

<< <i>I noticed that FabFrank is a buyer again. Are you looking to build a second set? If so, I'd be happy to sell my set and focus on my other sets I need to complete. Offers out there for anyone interested and I have a lot of the tough low pop 8s. >>

Dave,

Fabfrank has set #39 in the regsitry...............I think you are confusing Franks

• Options
    You're right. Thanks.
  • Options
    Dave, I didn't notice buying a 9 Jenkins. Sheesh, did I have an auto buy bid on it or something? Oh well, we can still work out a deal if you'd like.

Well, I got my cert #s (cards in the mail) from Mike (smallstocks)...8 Hi #s, fair deal. Added them and I'm now at 71.66% complete with a 5.38 rating. Just trailing Larry's set. Let's see if I can catch him in the next week or so. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I just picked up a bunch of high number PSA 9s from Mike (smallstocks) in a trade. I'm not quite even with Arny yet, but with some recent acquisitions I am making a charge (even with a much lower percentage of completion).

• Options
    That's great Dave! I love the competition!

By the way, I just outbid you on a PSA 9 from Mr Read! image

Wow, I actually won a couple of other PSA 9s of cards that I haven't been able to find in PSA 8 including a Hi # 9! So, now I'm at 5.42 and only .03 away from tying Larry! And, a smidge over 72%! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Just wanted to say that this is one of the rare positive threads on the CU boards that I have seen in a long time. I pretty much quit posting here a year-plus ago but I still occasionally take a look. The 1972 set has gone through three "generations" of collecting cycles (I think was in the second wave) and its nice to see another group who was not around to break open packs in 1972 (that's an assumption on my part - correct me if I'm wrong) around to carry on. Keep it up guys!

SW

My 1972 set: "Watergate Summer..."
  • Options
    ............was around in 72 to open packs...........I think I opened my first pack in 65.

• Options
    I was 'around' in '72, but definitely not opening packs. It's my birth year and that was the main motivator to start collecting the set. Plus, the fact that I always liked the 'funky' design and the challenge of putting together a decently graded set with all of the centering problems on this monster set. I know that this 'generation' of '72ers is definitely psyched about collecting the set and we're constantly moving up the ranks. Great challenge and competition brings out the best in everyone and I have already had the same folks that I'm 'competing' with helping me tremendously. So, more than anything, this is a 'community' of collectors that respect each other and are definitely positive about how they go about it.

To quote a cheesy awards show nominee line.....I'm just happy to be here among such great people. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Oh, by the way, I won a couple more cards last night (PSA 8 commons) that I needed and it's pushed me to 5.44! Only .01 behind Larry's set! I'm almost there! image

That is, until Larry blows us all away with a big update or something. Plus, I'm definitely wondering what Dave's update will do. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Arny, too funny. I was also born in 72. I wonder how much else we have in common. As you know I also live in South Florida....

My updates won't put me too close to you (and they take longer because I always wait to receive the cards before I enter them into my set). I am pacing myself, but picking up 9s where I can. Speaking of which, what happenned to the limited budget and your preset limits for cards? Every time I look up, you are outbidding me with bigger dollars than you were ever willing to spend before.
  • Options

<< <i> Speaking of which, what happenned to the limited budget and your preset limits for cards? Every time I look up, you are outbidding me with bigger dollars than you were ever willing to spend before. >>

Arny......I have to agree with Dave on this........I want to finish my set ASAP but am not willing to overpay and would rather wait longer. That Les Cain you won last night @$26.01 was offered by Dave Read last week with a starting bid of $24.99. He got no bids and relisted it starting much lower. That is a very high pop card in PSA 9 and PSA 8 for that matter. ( I need the card also by the way) Just my two cents........or my five cents as my logo indicates.

...............Dave Read will be sending me my needed card savers.........Thank you Dave!

• Options
    I think that I went crazy last night seeing those couple of cards that I could never find in PSA 8. That Barton only has like 20 in 8 and 10 in 9 with 1 PSA 10. So, I went for it. The same thing with the others. That Wilson has been dodging me the whole time for some reason, so I went for it in PSA 9. Maybe there was a full moon last night or something? image

But, I did keep my 'limit' for my 8s last night as I won a few more commons.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Just so you guys know, I have been selling off my 1972 high numbers to you whippersnappers the last few months because I know I just would never have the patience to collect such a huge set. It has always been an absolute favorite of mine, but I still have lots of ungraded cards left to keep me company. The money I receive goes into my 1954 and 1955 sets. FWIW, all of these cards came from a lot of 150 high numbers I purchased from an ad in a magazine back in 1979. They actually came in a tiny box (the same size as graded cards come back from PSA in) and were totally curved from being fit in. I was 16 at the time and I remember putting a stack of heavy books on top of them for a week to flatten them out. Here is the kicker though . . . the lot of 150 cost me a grand total of $30! Thus far I have received 3 PSA 10 grades and 21 PSA 9's. Many cards simply haven't been submitted due to centering issues. Not too bad though, I guess.

Mike

• Options
    ......an not one of the whippersnappers.........

........added two cards today............semi lowpop Chuck Dobson and the tough Dave Marshall......

• Options
    Does anyone actually have the large print on front variation?? Does it even exist?

• Options
    I haven't seen one of those Large Print variations yet.

In other news....I won a high # PSA 9 card last night and have now moved back into #12 overall! Woo hoo! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards