Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

Comments

• Options
    I have seen #478 with large print , the print is just bolder, it wasn't noted by PSA as a "large print" variation. Often times you have to make note on the grading invoice regarding the "variation", PSA doesn't always pick up on it. Submissions that require "research" usually take longer to be graded.
    I have seen plenty of the Cubs yellow/green under letters which were mis labeled, i had a "yellow under letters" Glen Beckert in PSA 8 that i cracked open because i thought it was an easy psa 9, I didn't get the bump but it came back as a "green under letters". PSA will reholder "technical errors " if you pick up the shipping but it's not always an easy process.
    Whoever said we wash away with the rain ?
  • Options
    This thread has been dormant for a few days so i figured I would post a message. I am working diligently to catch up to Arny while trying hard not to over pay. I think this thread has attracted a lot of new bidders. It is getting harder and harder to find those graded 72 bargains.
    View my inventory of PSA Graded Cards at My Ebay Store
  • Options

<< <i>I think this thread has attracted a lot of new bidders. It is getting harder and harder to find those graded 72 bargains. >>

I agree with you there. I have been out of the collecting game for a year and just got back into it again. I thought I'd jump back in and try to finish my '72 set (I'm 14th or 15th on the '72 registry). But it didn't take long to see all the attention '72 was getting on ebay, so I thought I'd concentrate on '74 and '75 awhile and let the furor over '72 die down. I don't want to get in a bidding war with you guys! image

I have enjoyed the banter on this thread though, but will get back to 72's when things calm down and bargains are to be had.

David Moss
    1972 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    1974 Topps Baseball PSA 8+

Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Everyone must be busy including myself...........but not letting this thread slip to page two....

I started going through my raw set last night something I had not ever done since I decided to go "graded" I expected to find maybe 3 dozen grade worthy cards. ( the set is mostly EX-NR) I was pleasently surprized to find at least double that number and I have only gone through half the set so far. I do not like to handle the cards very much as they are (only) stored in soft sleeves (and card boxes) It is impossible to handle the cards in the soft sleeves out of the card boxes as they tend to slide all over the place.

I was hoping to find a bunch of cards needed to complete my set and /or some low pops but so far such is not the case. I did find a nice Dave Cash and a decent Johhny Bench both of which i need for my set.

The "sweetest" card i found was what appears to be an almost flawless "Catfish" Hunter perfectly centered. I have a nice Clemente well centered but with one side what appears to be factory rough cut. Can anyone tell me how PSA deals with rough cuts?

There is a nice Grote and Munson IA also.

I appear to have an abundance of gradable Texas ranger cards.

The reds rookie card is nice but OC. image

The search will continue...and eventually I will narrow down to 16 cards to be submitted under my "free submissions". After getting the graded cards back from PSA I will take what I need for my graded set and sell the complete second set. This set will mostly be raw but will have about 45 graded cards in it with many of the graded cards being stars in PSA 7. (including Rose, Ryan, Aaron, Robinson traded, Morgan) If you check the set registry I have l a second set lister (#60??) which shows all the graded cards to be sold with this set.

Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options

<< <i>Can anyone tell me how PSA deals with rough cuts?
    >>

It has been my experience that PSA has not down-graded at all for a rough cut. I have not submitted cards in a year, but I remember getting at least two PSA 9 cards with rough cuts- one was a 1974 Tony Perez. But it has been a year. Does anyone know if anything has changed with regard to rough cuts?

David Moss
    1972 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    1974 Topps Baseball PSA 8+

Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    My question to PSA:

Can a 1955 Topps card with a rough cut on one edge that would otherwise easily meet PSA 8 standards still receive a PSA 8? I need to know if I will be totally wasting my time submitting such cards.

Reply:

As long as the corners are ok on the rough cut edge, the card could be a PSA 8. We do not downgrade for rough cuts.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    David- Eventually you are going to have to "overpay" for some cards. Within the next month or two everyone will bunched up at close to 90% and the only way to gain is to outbid the other guy....by overpaying. In the interim it would probably be wisest to bid more aggressively for the cards that will bring your completion level up or increase your GPA. Once Jami, Arny and yourself are done with the set the prices will fall again, at least for PSA 8's and you'll either have to hold the dupes or sell for less than you paid. The supply of these cards is far from finite.

I diligently track these cards and prices for 8's are well above the average for the last 2 years, the reason is simple, "the next generation " are buying them like crazy. Since this revival, excluding the guys over 90%, psa 8's saw very little action.The overwhelming majority of 8's could be had for less than grading fee's. Case in point, card 693, Alan Gallagher a legitimate "tougher" high number sold for 4.99 in a DSL auction before yourself and Arny entered the fray. The card is worth only what someone is willing to pay. I could be wrong, but history would dictate that two or three guys starting the 72 set in earnest and from scratch is an abberation.

Another interesting observation, is that the six or seven truly tough low pops have sold for considerably less in the last year. I would only assume that the guys working on the set are not at the point where they are willing to "overpay". The last PSA 8 mcrae ia didn't even go to a 72 set builder, it went to a reds collector. It wasn't even a matter of the card being overgraded, it was one of the nicer mcrae's I have seen. In the end it will come down to at least a couple of guys needing the mcrae ia to get to 100% and the "winner" will overpay, because the next one should go for less and so on. Unless, the initial winners try to win another copy and hold it hostage, which would go against the conventional camraderie that has always been a staple of the 72 registry.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    EO, what happened? 1 of your 6 was listed and no bids? You let FB get it for a song and dance! LOL
  • Options
    I was watching that one, maybe the snipe didn't fire?
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    When King Frank needs a card, everybody backs off.........image
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    BLATANT EBAY SPAM - RE 1972 TOPPS!

As a result of reading this thread I dug out some of my 1972 Topps PSA 8's and realized there might be a demand for some of them. I know I've bought and sold 1972 Topps PSA cards from a few of you so I thought I'd mention that I've put them all up on Ebay (I know, very thoughtful of me...lol).

They include one lot of 18 different PSA 8 cards plus several PSA 8 cards where there are very few PSA 9's available such as #170 Vida Blue IA, #172 Darrell Evans IA, #14 Phillies Rookies, #366 Jimmy Rosario, #401 Jim Nash etc.

My 1972 Topps on Ebay

Todd

AND NOW BACK TO OUR REGULAR PROGRAMMING.....
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Holy mackerol...that Vida Blue IA is through the roof already! Sheesh....

I've won a couple little cards and just sealed another deal for about a dozen hi #s, so I should be movin' up in rating points soon! image

EDITED: Whoa! I just looked at the rankings and lo and behold....here comes Dave again! 5.44! Darn it....gotta keep movin' up! Darn you Dave!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Gaspipe,
    Just out of curiousity did you offer the card to Eric offline?
  • Options
    Well.....I haven't won a new card for my set in 10 days.........just a handful of upgrades..........

....Oh well..........gotta keep within budget....

• Options
    Jami, I'm starting to feel a little bit of your pain now. I'm at 73% and having a tough time finding cards that I need for the set at this point. I can't imagine what it must be like at 88%. Although, with my '84 Donruss set, I haven't had a card added in quite a while and I've been around 90% for what seems like forever!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Pain ?? wait until you get to a point where weeks and weeks pass without a step forward.
  • Options
    some one sell me a dozen or so PSA 9's for my set!

it's rank a mere 47*

I need help!

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Dakota,
    On a thread he started I told him I had it and not a sniff. Must be on vacation.
  • Options
    I was just recording some final auction prices for 72 psa 9'sand there was a few surprises this past week or so.

#257 psa 9 tigers rooks, 145.50, nearly 2X what i anticipated the final hammer would be - winner seems to be a tiger collector

#299 psa 9 aaron , 711.00 , I didn't think it would go over 650- winner was not a 72 set builder

#87 & 89-both psa 9 nl hr nl rbi, both closed around 180.00, winner was the owner of the #5 rated set, the 2 cards had been listed before for opening bids close to the final price with no action.

#51 psa 9 killebrew 177.50, a couple of months ago this card sold twice in the 120-125 range.

# 698 psa 9 koosman ia,175.22,one of the higher prices realized for a psa 9 non- star card in a while, winner was 72 set builder and one of the more aggressive bidders for 72 psa 9's

# 595 psa 9 ryan , 420.05, this one closed at half of what a previous one had. The card that sold for over 800 was IMHO a weak 9 at best. The one that sold for 420 looked far superior.

# 758 psa 8 dunning, two auctions, a stronger 8 sold for 56 ,and a weaker one later sold for 81 (an hour later) the winner of the 81.00 dollar dunning isn't a 72 set builder, but the underbidder was barkus at 80.00, Before barkus entered the fray of 72 collectors a dead centered psa 8 dunning sold for less than 40 bucks .
  • Options

<< <i>

# 758 psa 8 dunning, two auctions, a stronger 8 sold for 56 ,and a weaker one later sold for 81 (an hour later) the winner of the 81.00 dollar dunning isn't a 72 set builder, but the underbidder was barkus at 80.00, Before barkus entered the fray of 72 collectors a dead centered psa 8 dunning sold for less than 40 bucks . >>

Hence..I still need a Dunning card as I am only willing to pay $50ish for one.....................or less.........image

• Options
    The Dunning card is the 7th toughest card in the set to find in PSA 8 or better. I bid on both cards hoping that I would win at least one and I feel that I got a bargain at $56.

I am back up to 12th position again after some aggressive buying the last few days. The climb gets much tougher from here.

• Options
    I was an early bidder on the Dunning cards and noticed that they were rising in price and were at a little more than what I was willing to pay. Based on the other auction, you definitely got a steal Dave!

Congrats on movin' back up the list with avengence!

I hope that I get these Hi #s soon....gotta add 'em to my set.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I would have been happy with the 56 dollar Dunning, the 81 dollar Dunning is a card, that as a collector I wouldn't have even submitted . I have inkling that the 81 dollar Dunning will surface again at a later date, and go for less that 50 bucks unless Dave Barkus wants another.
    I'm with Jami, a nicer one will be had for less. There are also 5 nines of the card out there so, if the 18 psa 8's is accurate or if you figured that there are 20 copies out there in 8 or better. At the moment there is Arny and Jami who figure to be the aggressive bidders for the next one in PSA 8 and maybe Highend (depending on centering).
    All of the active top setbuilders and those at over 95 % have a Dunning in either 8 or 9 . At least 4 of the 5 nines are accounted for. FB's set, Derek's set (from Dave Read) , EO's set and EJ's set. The missing 9 is most likely in the Psuinnyc set or the Glibersher set (both not registered). The next 9 of this one surface would likely go in excess of 150 bucks especially since one of the two of the high rollers don't have it but that would only be accurate if another bidder is willing to make a serious challenge for the card.
    My prediction is, Barkus notwithstanding, that next PSA 8 (not the 81 dollar dunning) will go for alot less than 50 bucks if it's not perfectly centered and the next one for even less. The only thing is when the next one will come, given that the issue with the Dunning has been centering and PSA has loosened the standards on centering from the published standards it shouldn't be too long. Patience, Patience, Patience.

Another interesting observation is that a terribly centered PSA 8 Dietz IA with a "booger" (tough card , the last 8 was nicely centered and closed for 56)went for 46 bucks and if it weren't for the unknown (at least in the 72 circle) SUSAN546's snipe it would have went for 25. I know for certain that the pop report for this card isn't accurate because I submitted the PSA 8 I had 3X in hopes a 9, it was one the last 10-15 cards EO needed for his set . I suspect others did the same.

Well, I'll be away for a while and when I return I wouldn't be surprised to see at least a couple of new members to the 90% complete club, enjoy guys.
  • Options
    Well, I won the Reggie IA that I've wanted for quite some time. $38, not terrible, but a little more than I wanted to pay.

By the way, with the Reggie IA, Dave and I are in a tie for 12th! What a race this is! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Arny,

There is nothing wrong with $38 for a Reggie IA. image

• Options
    Well, I picked up a Bob Locker 8 and now I'm in sole possession of 12th again! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I just updated my set. 12th belongs to me once again.
  • Options
    Sheesh....I can't get a break from Dave! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Well, just when Dave thought he had me!

Struck a deal last night (just checked my mail) for a Rose and an Aaron card! Then, I got the Hi #s that I needed! So now I'm in sole possession of 12th place again and have crossed the 75% completion point! I'm approaching a 6 rating (5.82) and am WAAAAAYYY ahead of my schedule for this set. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Congrats. You are doing well with the off ebay deals. No one makes me decent offers anymore image. I tried to make a deal with Dave Read for a bulk group of common nines (none with a population of less than 10 and only a few between 10 and 20) and he wouldn't come off of $26.10 per card. That is way above what I have seen as market on ebay so I passed. If anyone else has a group to sell, let me know.

I'll be up with you again Arny soon enough. I have been filling in my low pops and still have plenty of stars and high pop commons which should be easy to add. I also have a nice group of 9s in my set now, including many of the stars.
  • Options
    My off-ebay stuff is what has definitely saved me. I think that Mr Read is down to the nitty gritty cards and he doesn't want them to go for a lot less than what he paid for them. But, he's still got a few decent deals here and there.

Jason has helped me tremendously with the commons and Jami helped me early on a lot as well. Mr Read definitely helped me when he initially broke up the set with those 8s as well.

I'm sure that you'll be right on my tail again soon Dave. But, sure is getting harder and harder (and more expensive!) at this point of the game! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I guess I was one of the few people home tonight.......BKRITZ had a number of cards up tonight that went very cheap. A decent looking Mays #49 PSA 8 went for around $55. That is the cheapest price I have ever seen for a Mays.

I even won two cards ( out of two bid on). These are the first new cards I have gotten in almost 10 days............

......I am over the 700 card count now at 701........86 more to go.......

I am putting up 20 cards tonight on Ebay which will end Wednesday night....... there are a couple of high #'s and two PSA 9s.

• Options
    I picked up a bunch of Brian's 8s for $4.99 tonight. I think they were high pops so most other guys don't need them.
  • Options
    I picked up a couple of Brian's 8s. The Herbal is a low pop at only 23 in 8 and got that one for 4.99 and I got an Edwards card that I needed.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
  • Options
    Kalch23,

It is safe to say that most of us have already seen your numorous listings.image

Keep those tough cards coming..........

• Options
    Ya Think? image

Oh boy....Red Rookie and Dunning cards.....heh....should be fun.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    The low pops will do well. The Reds Rookies is already above what I paid for mine when Arny and I started this quest.
  • Options
    Dave, looks like you and I along with Jami, Maggio, J.Walnutz and a few others have really breathed some life back into the '72s, huh?

Prices are being bumped all around it seems. You have any big lots coming your way to add to your set? I'm working on my next couple of 'off eBay' deals to get a few here and there.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I am glad I am not a 71 Topps collecter and need this Murcer card.

ADDED TO SAY: The funny thing is that this card has a pop of 34 in PSA 8 ( but only one better)

• Options
    Arny, prices are being bumped up because you are willing to pay any asking price up to $10 for a high pop 8 that you need. Most of the rest of us are happy to sit on the sidelines and wait for the high pops to come around again. FYI, I have paid $15-$16 for the same cards in PSA 9 that you have bought for $10+ (with shipping) in PSA 8. I have also been able to pick up lots of high pop 8s in the $5-$6 range. I outbid you for low pop cards and with these increased opening prices, those are pretty much the only 8s I will bid on from certain sellers.
  • Options
    Now....now......there are much more then three people bidding on 72 cards. It is not one person's fault that prices MAY be going up.

It just is the old law of supply and demand................

ADDED TO SAY: I think Arny might do better if he did not put immediate bids on EVERY card that he needs. I think that helps to drive up prices. (I know though we all hate to be sniped)

BTW Dave, How much is your snipe service bill every month? image

• Options
    My problem is that I spend a few hours here and there on the computer and can't really be there for the end of the auctions all the time. That, coupled with the fact that I don't have any snipin' software, makes for my need to place my bids from the get go.

Believe me, I'd rather not pay the higher amounts.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I finally checked out this thread, and I'll agree with Machodoc it's one of the best on this board in a long time. A lot like a few years back with everyone rooting for each other and sharing a lot of enthusiasm for a set. I"m happy with my raw '72 (too many other irons in the fire) but will live vicariously thru you guys.
    How cool is it to see a guy like Marz, who has one of the best caramel card collections from the early 20th century, also pursuing moderns sets like '72's and '75's?
    Keep up the good work and good posts, 787 cards is a monumental task, and I've got huge respect for anyone that can stick it out. This thread embodies what collecting is all about!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Some people (who shall remain nameless) have been asking to end some auctions early...

for shame.....
  • Options
    Heh....it wasn't me, but you can't blame "someone" for trying.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    No you can't... you 72ers are like wloves.
  • Options
    ....probably someone looking for a(nother?) Dunning card.........image

• Options
    It wasn't me either. I haven't asked anyone to end auctions early. Jami and Arny, you guys are missing the point. It's not about bidding when an item is first listed vs. sniping. Many of the guys selling 72s have new listing each week. When we started this process they were listing their cards at $2.99-$4.99 opeing bids. The same guys are now starting the cards at $7.99-$9.99 opening bids. The answer to that from a buyer perspective is not to bid on high pop 8s with opening prices of $9.99. I have never paid and will not pay $10 pus shipping for a high pop 8.
  • Options
    As far as ending an auction early goes, it would be very foolsh to end an auction early with the number of current bidders for this set.